My wife and I spent 7 days (July 9-15, 2014) at the Occidental Grand for our anniversary. This was our 3rd all-inclusive resort but our 1st time in staying in Puerto Vallarta. First of all the property is beautiful and the location is fantastic. One issue we had was that there are no balconies unless you have a suite. But on the 1st floor there are rooms with patios, so I emailed requesting a patio and as luck would have it the manager I spoke to was passing by as we were checking in and got us in a patio room near the pool. They were undergoing some renovations to some of the rooms as well as the exterior by the pools, but they kept the noise to a minimum. The staff was awesome and any request/issue or question was quickly handled. Special kudos to our favorite waiter Daniel Ramirez! Very attentive and funny, and remembered our drink orders and kept an eye out for when we were getting low.
The Food was good at the buffet as well as the Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants. Seasoning is not an issue. Also ask for the Mexican/Spanish coffee after dinner at Los Olivos! I read reports about overly pushy timeshare people, but there was no real pressure. We declined and were asked in passing 1 other time about it but it was no issue. After staying at some of the larger resorts I would definitely recommend this resort to friends.
A few tips:
Pay attention to the dining and bar schedules. There are places to eat/drink all day til about 1:30 am, but in order to set up for the next meal the places kind of rotate serving.
The sand is HOT! Mid-day its like 90+ and the sand almost burned my feet the 1st day we got there so flip flops are a must til you get to the water.
Some other reviews complained about the reservation process as far as the specialty restaurants but I was simple and we got in the nights we wanted no problem. There were open tables and fast service both times we went.
If it's your 1st trip to Puerto Vallarta but you've been to other caribbean places be warned: The water is CLOUDY not clear, and the sand is dark, not white. But it is very warm and still good for swimming.
I gets pretty quiet in the evening at the hotel. All the bars and clubs (Mandala, Senior Frogs etc...) are in Puerto Vallarta like 30 mins away by cab. But they do a different show at the hotel every night at 9.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel