“Not even close to a 5 star. Kind of dissapointed. NOTHING special.”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Edmonton
“Not even close to a 5 star. Kind of dissapointed. NOTHING special.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We travel south of the boarder 2-3 times a year... 4+ and up. I make my reviews based on comparables to other Mexican/Cuban/Dominican All-Inclusives...

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I was shocked to see this resort rated so high that I had to put in my two-bits. If this is your first or second time going, it could pass off as a 4 star maybe.

Travelled here with my husband, small child, parents (50s), & 20something sister & her boyfriend, So a wide age span & different points of interest. I will write about our all overall opinion:

CONS:
-This resort is very small in comparison to all the other resorts I've travelled to. It can get a little boring if you don't plan to venture out. I like when there is a few different breakfast/lunch locations. Everything seemed so compact and lifeless to me :(
-The resort is also SWIMMING with locals... Of course I get that it's Mexico, and Mexicans should be more than welcome, but you will feel like an outsider; again compared to other resorts like Dreams Rius, and Iberostars, this was by far mostly occupied by the locals. Locals with a LOT of small children running around and screaming...... (I have two now so I cant complain, however I would never allow mine to act like they own the place.. I believe kids need to know their limits and parents should keep an eye out at all times).... I found kids were invasive at this resort.... Some might like this, some might not.
-I also felt like they overbooked the hotel, it was SO busy and crowded. Line ups for everything.
-One (very small) lunch buffet was insanely busy all the time, we had to wait in line to get a table, and then in line to get the food as well.
-Food was ok. Nothing special. You won't go home lighter then when you came, but I will put it in my bottom for food when comparing to other resorts. I'm not picky and don't expect gold stars on my plate every meal, but I just felt the quality and the options lacked in comparison.
-The entertainment was all in Spanish and it was tough to follow along; usually they'll split it up between Spanish&English, not so much here...
-Since the resort ground is small (compact), it is SO LOUD at nighttime regardless of where your room is, you'll hear music and partying from the entertainment show and then disco
- Not many a-la-carte restaurant options when we went. We really enjoy those and we were disappointed. They also didn't allow small children to the Italian restaurant (Which could be a great thing for those travelling without kids :) ....So our only option was the Mexican restaurant at the time)
-Sport lounge/bar was lifeless and boring.
-WiFi was expensive.

PROS:
-Rooms were new and clean. Very modern. Comfortable
-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Newer building so it was nice and clean.
-Store on-site was really nice.
-Beach was nice for the Pacific side

Overall, there is NOTHING special about this resort. Nothing that would make it stand out and give it a respectable 4star rating even..... it's OK, I would only go back if I found an AMAZING deal.. I would not pay more than $600-$700 CAD all in; with flight&hotel&taxes.

Pass on this one!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank LanaLanaLana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My first ever All Inclusive and I was very satisfied with the food, the room, the nightly entertainment and the staff. The staff go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. I would return if I was ever traveling back to the same area. Thank you for the hospitality.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the centre courtyard but we were able to see the ocean from the 5th floor.
Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First the good things: The staff at this hotel were all wonderful and helpful. The beach was huge and well maintained as were the pools. The adult only pool was quiet and good for couples (since the other pools were filled with kids and their drunk, loud parents.) There was never a day that we did not get one of the covered huts by the beach since there were many. It was nice having staff come down to the beach and take/deliver drinks. The rooms were nice; ours overlooked the water and pool area. The mattress was very firm, so I asked for a mattress topper and they did provide one right away. It made all the difference--the bed was then comfortable. The shower in the room had great water pressure and were a good size. The Italian restaurant had good food and best of all was air conditioned.

Now the bad: The rooms were small and only minimally air conditioned. The rest of the hotel had none. It was open and breezy, but at 93 degrees and high humidity, it was really hot. It was terrible trying to eat dinner with sweat dripping down your body and face!! Try to get a seat under a ceiling fan--it's cooker. We noticed, though, that all the tables for 2 were on the outsides of the restaurants and NEVER under a fan. I swear they had something against couples!! Even if we asked for a table under a fan, several times they refused to seat us there since those tables were for 4 or more people. Be sure to use bug spray whenever you go to the dinner buffet or you will get eaten alive. You have to make special reservations for the Italian place (air conditioned!!) but you can only eat there twice. The food in the buffet has a lot of food, but you never know just what you are eating. They only put signs stating what the item is on some of the food. There are times when there is no restaurant or bar open. We got back to the hotel later one evening and everything was closed. The hallways echo, so people talking or walking in the halls are very loud. Of course our hallway had many families with very loud children (that were up late crying and up again early yelling and screaming). Plus the walls in the rooms are very thin so all sounds come right through.

All in all, it was a nice place for the price we paid.

2 Thank punchbug4
Bucerias, Mexico
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we went for two nights for our anniversary. the all inclusive was out of this world and we were so pampered. the little extras like iced tea and lemonade by the adult pool and in the lobby. also in the hottest part of the day the staff brings cold wash towels to the adult pool area in case you want to cool down - put one on your face or neck. also they put out pump bottles of spf 30 and 50 sunscreen by the adult pool. it was great to be in the family pool or the adult pool. they have a very large shallow pool for the kids as well. the rooms have shower containers on the wall for body wash and shampoo. the rooms were beautiful with amazing views of the ocean. pool bar and a lounge bar near the lobby. the beds were very comfy and the food was great. when they found out it was our anniversary they prepared a special romantic dinner for us. the ocean is there if you want it with so many activities if you want to take part in. we would go back again for sure!!

Room Tip: all the rooms face the ocean
Antioch, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel three times. I always have such a fun time! The staff is friendly and the beaches are beautiful. I have seen many gorgeous sunsets, and even baby sea turtles. The only downside is that the food gets old fast. Other than that I love this place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennalynn423
Langley, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a family friendly beach front facility with a very friendly people. Food is wonderful, service is amazing. They are doing lots of reno's right now, and no free Internet that's why I couldn't give a 5 stars, but our stay was very nice.
Checking is swift,
Concierge excellent (Idaly Hernandez and others)
rooms are clean, AC cooled down the air nicely
fridge is replenished daily with water, beer, soda,
Buffet is of top class (we didn't go a single time a la carte) Juan, Eric and others make sure your drinks are always cool and glasses full
Pools are clean and Daniel the bartender will deliver variety of drinks to you with a smile
Daily entertainment at 9 PM is excellent. They have their own dancers and a girl from Venezuela shines like a star with few boys. You can see they had a very good ballet/modern dance background.
We stayed there July 27-Aug3

Room Tip: Tip service people. They work hard to make sure your stay is a 5 star with a 4 star facility. If yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

First things first - amazing staff all around! Each and every one of them worked SO hard. We were thoroughly impressed throughout our 2 week vacation with the staff/service, restaurants, beach, location and more.We were also upgraded to an ocean view room which was much appreciated. Idaly Hernandez was always available to assist with any and all requests - always with a smile on her face and with such charm and professionalism - we really appreciated getting to know you and was hard saying goodbye - we miss you!! The waiters were exceptional and such a pleasure to get to know: Erik and Juan in the buffet were fantastic, Jorge and Daniel at poolside were so fun, Miguel, Arnulfo and Luis Telles in the restaurants were fantastic, and Yesenia made the best omelettes each and every morning. Buffet food was outstanding, as were both the Italian and Mexican restaurants. Great walking/running beach, sunsets were stunning, evening lightening/thunder storms unbelievable, and the resort's service overall was great. There were a few times when the 'timeshare offers' were becoming frustrating, but a firm and polite 'no thanks' each time was all that was necessary. Thanks very much for a great vacation !! (June 28-July12)

1 Thank Kelly15152014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!