We travel south of the boarder 2-3 times a year... 4+ and up. I make my reviews based on comparables to other Mexican/Cuban/Dominican All-Inclusives...
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I was shocked to see this resort rated so high that I had to put in my two-bits. If this is your first or second time going, it could pass off as a 4 star maybe.
Travelled here with my husband, small child, parents (50s), & 20something sister & her boyfriend, So a wide age span & different points of interest. I will write about our all overall opinion:
-This resort is very small in comparison to all the other resorts I've travelled to. It can get a little boring if you don't plan to venture out. I like when there is a few different breakfast/lunch locations. Everything seemed so compact and lifeless to me :(
-The resort is also SWIMMING with locals... Of course I get that it's Mexico, and Mexicans should be more than welcome, but you will feel like an outsider; again compared to other resorts like Dreams Rius, and Iberostars, this was by far mostly occupied by the locals. Locals with a LOT of small children running around and screaming...... (I have two now so I cant complain, however I would never allow mine to act like they own the place.. I believe kids need to know their limits and parents should keep an eye out at all times).... I found kids were invasive at this resort.... Some might like this, some might not.
-I also felt like they overbooked the hotel, it was SO busy and crowded. Line ups for everything.
-One (very small) lunch buffet was insanely busy all the time, we had to wait in line to get a table, and then in line to get the food as well.
-Food was ok. Nothing special. You won't go home lighter then when you came, but I will put it in my bottom for food when comparing to other resorts. I'm not picky and don't expect gold stars on my plate every meal, but I just felt the quality and the options lacked in comparison.
-The entertainment was all in Spanish and it was tough to follow along; usually they'll split it up between Spanish&English, not so much here...
-Since the resort ground is small (compact), it is SO LOUD at nighttime regardless of where your room is, you'll hear music and partying from the entertainment show and then disco
- Not many a-la-carte restaurant options when we went. We really enjoy those and we were disappointed. They also didn't allow small children to the Italian restaurant (Which could be a great thing for those travelling without kids :) ....So our only option was the Mexican restaurant at the time)
-Sport lounge/bar was lifeless and boring.
-WiFi was expensive.
-Rooms were new and clean. Very modern. Comfortable
-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Newer building so it was nice and clean.
-Store on-site was really nice.
-Beach was nice for the Pacific side
Overall, there is NOTHING special about this resort. Nothing that would make it stand out and give it a respectable 4star rating even..... it's OK, I would only go back if I found an AMAZING deal.. I would not pay more than $600-$700 CAD all in; with flight&hotel&taxes.
Pass on this one!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel