“First Time!”

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Glendale, Arizona
“First Time!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was very nervous when booking this hotel because it was our first time in Mexico and first time at an all inclusive resort. I was not dissapointed to say the least. First and foremost the customer service at this hotel is OUTSTANDING! From the moment we checked in to 5 minutes before we checked out we were treated great! We found everything to workout great for us.. the resturants were good and waiters and waitresses were outstanding. If you have been to a larger resort I am sure this one may seem small and limited but we had everything we needed. The free wifi in the lobby was a little hard to pick up sometimes but was great and worked out well for us. Fernando and Daniel were amazing and made sure my drinks were never empty! Erik was a wonderful server and by the second day new us by name! The walls are a little thin but that can be anywhere and there is renovation going on throughout the resort but for the amount we paid for our stay it was no bother and it is only to improve the resort! The room we were in was clean and the fridge was stocked daily! There was a bit of a mildew smell which I should have mentioned but I had brought a candal so it wasn't unbareable. All in all I would stay here again for the price I paid. The hospitality is 5 star! PS. The humidity is pretty high but that has nothing the do with the resort lol!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank uhhlee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Centennial, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I really don't like giving bad reviews, but in all honestly this property deserves it. If I didn't write a bad review, it wouldn't be fair to future guests. My wife and I stayed here for the last half of our honeymoon. I booked our stay at the Royal Club Luxury Level, which was a scam and a hoax. We were doomed from the moment we walked in the front door. Unfortunately, like most resorts in Mexico now, we got pummeled by timeshare salesmen as soon as we stepped out of the cab. We had to say no to 6 different people before we even got to check in. Then when we spoke to the front desk we were told we had to go check in upstairs because we were Royal Club Luxury. When we got upstairs, to the Royal Club Level, we had to listen to another timeshare pitch and again we said no. Then they began to check us in and here is when all hell broke loose. Our room wasn't ready, we had to wait about an hour before we got a room key. Since we were Royal Club Luxury I figure we would get one of the rooms on the Royal Club floor. NOPE. We got a room on a lower floor, right across from the elevators. Oh well, we thought, we'll deal with it and go have some fun. Wrong. As we were trying to get some sleep later, we noticed how ridiculously loud the room was. It sounded like the room was inside the pool house of a kids daycare, I mean it was loud. We called the concierge and told them to move us as it was unacceptable. They got us another room, but I think they were purposely screwing with us now. The room was even lower, right above some incredibly loud concert going on at the Hard Rock right next door. The bass was hitting so hard I really thought the windows were going to shatter. We ended up going back to the first room and sleeping with earplugs! We talked to the concierge again and they finally put us in a quieter room the next evening. Not all was well though as we were now in the Smoking wing. Great. So the rooms really suck if you didn't pick up on that and don't bother paying extra for Royal Club Luxury because you won't stay on that floor anyways. We later found out they were over-booked and we still didn't get any money back.

Royal Club Luxury was also supposed to include: 1. Free WiFi in your room - lie, they didn't even have WiFi. 2. Free use of activity equipment, watersports equipment etc - not really, they had some ridiculous rules with this and we were never able to use any equipment. 3. Suite Room on the Royal Club Level - haha, no.

It's a huge bummer, but because of our time at this hotel, we were actually excited to be going home when it was over. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemies. Message me, I'd be glad to share any other info.

Room Tip: Not sure how to get a good room here, nothing worked for us. Rooms are pretty awful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Matt J
CHANNEL MANAGER O, Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Matt J

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience at our resort. On behalf of the management at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for all the inconveniences experienced during your stay.
We are very sorry we did not meet your expectations ; each of your concerns will be share with our Management Team “Royal Club & Time Share” in order to prevent recurrence.

Please be sure that your opinion and comments are extremely valuable to us.

SIncerely
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and it was very opened, huge sealings, very cute decorations and the check-in was like 30 min. Long. For we had a funky booking agency. The staff is really very very great. However they did promise us a little sand kit toy, for our three year old, that never came! :( the buffet was okay I'm not one who loves them.. they did offer a very large variety of food, and yummy they had nutella for breakfast!! But I couldn't wait to get home to eat my kind of food, the last day we where there I didn't bother to eat, And bought a subway in Guadalajara on the way home!! The hotel at night was very lacking of fun, not much to do after 9 o'clock. They do some shows and that's that. And the bars that they had throughout were very plain! The pool, they only had one adult and one for kids, the adult one was very crammed. They did little activities half an hour apart. They did repeat most everyday. The bar outside was super busy 10 min. wait for a drink.. well yea, we only had two bartenders! Oh God, the highlight of the trip was the beach!! It was beautiful and the water wasn't freezing cold it was just right!! 5 stars for the beach!!! Now will I stay there again? Probably not, I like trying new things. Will I recommend to friends and family? You bet, I have a feeling it's one of the best ones in Nuevo Vallarta!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ryb21
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We will admit to being rather unsure about traveling to Mexico. However now we wonder why we waited so long. The Occidental was the perfect hotel for us. Just the right size, it is a smaller resort, but that's what we love about it.

The beach is an amazing long beach that you could walk on for miles on. There are vendors who walk the beach, but they are not pushy at all.

The buffet food is pretty good, the Italian restaurant is delicious, just make sure you make reservations the day before.

The one thing to be aware of is when you first come in, off to your left there is a table that says concierge. At that table and walking around the lobby are occidental workers who are apart of the occidental vacation club. They are a part of the time share and when you first come in will try to show you the "sights" of the hotel. basically they are wanting you to go to a presentation in hopes you will sign up for their time share (on a side note.....there are timeshares EVERYWHERE in Mexico so if you don't want to get wrapped up with them be firm and stick to the tours and excursions that your travel agent recommends) Anyways as far as the Occidental time share people go, Once we told them a friendly firm no thank you, we are not interested they leave you alone. I will say huge props to Antonio who does work for the vacation club, however he was extremely friendly & gave us lots of helpful tips about traveling around the area. For us a lot of t into this trip so looking into a timeshare membership would have been a waste of everyone's time us a lot of time & saving.

This leads me to the best part of the trip and that was the staff. They were all amazing, friendly & incredibly helpful on so many levels. Idaly at guest relations went above expectation to always answer a question, or help us out. Mehahen at the front desk, always greeted us as if we'd been friends for years. Then the staff in the buffet Javier Echeverria, Erik Cerna Viana & Juan Garcia, were unbelievable, so cheerful & friendly, quick to help you to your table, answer any questions. I wish we could remember the names of our servers in the Italian restaurant but they also were amazing! And last but not least Jorge & Daniel that worked the pool & beach, always made sure we had the drinks we needed. There were others too, Raymondo the bell boy. Everyone made you feel like they were welcoming us home, lets just say we left with new Facebook friends ;)

Overall it was a wonderful trip, an excellent hotel, we will be back for sure!!

Room Tip: the lobby is very open so noise does travel. pick one of the wings if that is going to bother you
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al_Heather
CHANNEL MANAGER O, Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest
On behalf of all the staff, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about the Resort. It pleased us to learn that you enjoy the attitude and service of our “Guest Service and Restaurants staff ”. We will pass along the message to all of the staff that you have mentioned.
Your feedback is an important part of our daily work, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to improve our services.
Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next vacations to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Resort.
Sincerely.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The following were some of the issues we had with the vacation:
1. The resort was undergoing MAJOR construction and we were not informed of this before purchasing the vacation package. The construction crew was building a water feature between the buffet restaurant and the pool. There was constant noise of hammers and jackhammers from early in the morning to late in the afternoon during every day of our stay. This situation made the pool experience terrible. There was cement dust in the eating areas of the buffet.
2. We paid for deluxe ocean view, but we were given rooms with a partial garden and partial ocean view.
3. The rooms were not cleaned in a timely manner. We left the rooms at 8 am and they were cleaned at 5 pm, only after we complained to the quality control representative of the resort.
4. Toiletries were not provided in the room at any time during our stay.
5. The room refrigerator was not restocked on a daily basis. It took 3 days for them to restock the fridge in one of the rooms.
6. There were almost no entertainment activities for young people.
7. There was almost no equipment for water activities. For example: they only had one paddle board and 4 kayaks for all the resort guests, which made it almost impossible to get a turn to do water activities.
8. There was one waiter serving all the guests around the pool, so it made it almost impossible to get drinks around the pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Waleska P
CHANNEL MANAGER O, Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta.We are very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize for different inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We will share your observations with our management team, as these are part of our continuous efforts to enhance our services.

Please be sure that your opinion and comments are extremely valuable for us.

We hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you to enjoy our improvements in a near future.

Edmonton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We travel south of the boarder 2-3 times a year... 4+ and up. I make my reviews based on comparables to other Mexican/Cuban/Dominican All-Inclusives...

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I was shocked to see this resort rated so high that I had to put in my two-bits. If this is your first or second time going, it could pass off as a 4 star maybe.

Travelled here with my husband, small child, parents (50s), & 20something sister & her boyfriend, So a wide age span & different points of interest. I will write about our all overall opinion:

CONS:
-This resort is very small in comparison to all the other resorts I've travelled to. It can get a little boring if you don't plan to venture out. I like when there is a few different breakfast/lunch locations. Everything seemed so compact and lifeless to me :(
-The resort is also SWIMMING with locals... Of course I get that it's Mexico, and Mexicans should be more than welcome, but you will feel like an outsider; again compared to other resorts like Dreams Rius, and Iberostars, this was by far mostly occupied by the locals. Locals with a LOT of small children running around and screaming...... (I have two now so I cant complain, however I would never allow mine to act like they own the place.. I believe kids need to know their limits and parents should keep an eye out at all times).... I found kids were invasive at this resort.... Some might like this, some might not.
-I also felt like they overbooked the hotel, it was SO busy and crowded. Line ups for everything.
-One (very small) lunch buffet was insanely busy all the time, we had to wait in line to get a table, and then in line to get the food as well.
-Food was ok. Nothing special. You won't go home lighter then when you came, but I will put it in my bottom for food when comparing to other resorts. I'm not picky and don't expect gold stars on my plate every meal, but I just felt the quality and the options lacked in comparison.
-The entertainment was all in Spanish and it was tough to follow along; usually they'll split it up between Spanish&English, not so much here...
-Since the resort ground is small (compact), it is SO LOUD at nighttime regardless of where your room is, you'll hear music and partying from the entertainment show and then disco
- Not many a-la-carte restaurant options when we went. We really enjoy those and we were disappointed. They also didn't allow small children to the Italian restaurant (Which could be a great thing for those travelling without kids :) ....So our only option was the Mexican restaurant at the time)
-Sport lounge/bar was lifeless and boring.
-WiFi was expensive.

PROS:
-Rooms were new and clean. Very modern. Comfortable
-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Newer building so it was nice and clean.
-Store on-site was really nice.
-Beach was nice for the Pacific side

Overall, there is NOTHING special about this resort. Nothing that would make it stand out and give it a respectable 4star rating even..... it's OK, I would only go back if I found an AMAZING deal.. I would not pay more than $600-$700 CAD all in; with flight&hotel&taxes.

Pass on this one!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank LanaLanaLana
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My first ever All Inclusive and I was very satisfied with the food, the room, the nightly entertainment and the staff. The staff go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. I would return if I was ever traveling back to the same area. Thank you for the hospitality.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the centre courtyard but we were able to see the ocean from the 5th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!