“Clean, comfortable, courteous staff!”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel was exactly as advertised...very clean and comfortable. The staff was so kind and always willing to help with anything we needed. I did notice that anyone who didn't work the front desk did not speak English very well. This was not a problem for us, as I speak conversational Spanish, but for those who don't know any it might be difficult to communicate with waiters, bartenders, and others. We went at the end of May and the resort was practically empty; there were very few other people there. There was some construction to contend with, but it never bothered us. We got front row beach chairs every morning and didn't arrive until after 11 am. The food at the buffet was always fresh and tasty, but got repetitive by the end of the week. I heard that beach vendors would badger us constantly. Maybe it was due to it being the "low season," but they did not bother us much. When we did see them, a simple "no, thank you" got rid of them. My boyfriend and I went for a romantic trip and were not bothered by the families that were there. However, there were plenty of activities for kids and families. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway!!

Room Tip: We paid for the ocean view upgrade and another couple we were traveling with did not. They had a bet...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KK7276
Write a ReviewReviews (3,396)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

CONS - had to change rooms 3 different times due to extremely loud construction outside of the building and inside the building. Inside there was hammering and pounding above us until 1 am! When we brought it up the woman said she had no idea what I was talking about and that there was no construction going on above us. They transferred us to that floor and there was in fact complete reconstruction of the 7th floor, guys hammering off doors ect. When I complained about how horrible our room was the woman said it would be 30 mins before we could get into our new room, after 1.5 hrs we came to see them and they said uhhh the room is still not done would you like to go wait more at the pool? Yes I have been kept awake all night and have been constantly exposed to loud noise at this place and now they didn't even bother to call us and let us know what was going on and want us to wait our vacation away.(they did end up apologizing and giving us a complimentary couples massage because I complained which was nice but not worth the stress I had been through) On the 7th floor the workers were constantly screaming on their radios, we also could hear loud wild children screaming in the next room (did I mention we paid for the VIP experience?) I was so frustrated with the loudness of the hotel I wanted to leave PVR by the 2nd night. The one rooms shower door was broken and the mini fridge was broken and leaking. The suites were nothing fancy and both showers we had used were pretty dirty and the beds are hard as rocks.

I look forward to going on vacations and just relaxing in the room reading a book, since it was so loud and my nervous system was constantly being irritated I had spend as little time in the hotel as possible and cringed every night when we had to go there to "sleep".

PROS - beach was beautiful but you can probably stay at a better hotel for the same beach experience
-the royal club dinning was the only thing that made this hotel good, the waiters were AMAZING and the food was FANTASTIC!
-some of the staff was friendly

All in all we had endless bad experiences and would NEVER go back!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kerina B
CHANNEL MANAGER O, Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Kerina B,
We appreciate the time to post us a review and for your wonderful comments about our Royal Clubteam and the beach. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the noise in the rooms since our front desk team tried to assign you a comfortable room for you in different floor.

We would like tolet you know that our engineer maintenance has supervised the rooms and make sure everything is working properly.We hope you give us another opportunity in the future, please let us know if you do and we will ensure that you have a memorable stay with us.

Sincerely

Reviewed 17 August 2014

First of all I would like to tell that this hotel is not 5 stars as it says in their website. I would give it 3+. Rooms are clean and nice, but whole hotel needs renovation. They were doing some renovation at the time when we visited and it was disturbing. Staff was awesome, always smiling always helpful. Especially I would like to thank our waiters in the beach area (Daniel Ramirez and Erik) who always brought our cocktails very quick and were very nice and helpful. Food is delicious, however we got bored of it, because we were staying for 14 days and it was nothing new. We really enjoyed our dinner at Italian restaurant, it was the best! Waiters, food, wine, everything was outstanding. However, we didn't like Mexican restaurant so much, we ate better Mexican food at the buffet. This hotel is nice, but I would not recommend it for couples, as were are a lot of families with children and all the activities are based on them.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014

All the staff were awesome. The maids did all kinds of extra stuff for me and my new bride. The activity hut staff all made us feel very welcome. Daniel at the adult pool kept us drunk and jhonny at le buffet was the best. Fingers crossed I get his section everyday.
The reservations for dinner were a giant pain in the butt and you could only make reservations for 3 nights. We were there for a week. They stopped letting us make reservations. Honestly it single handedly took my experience there from a 9 to a 6.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Thisisexcessive
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was the worst vacation ever. It was extremely stressful and the hotel didn't allow us to relax at all! The hotel management knew they were going to be doing major construction during our stay but did not notify us in advance.

I have plenty us pictures of all major construction going on at the hotel.
1) They were building right outside of our room with large machinery and we couldn't sleep. Tractors were outside our room window waking us up at 6:00am.
2) They were cutting down palm trees not allowing guests to use the pool and leaving electrical wires exposed.
3) They were sanding the walkways which blocked guest’s wheelchair/stroller access, so guests had to carry it up the stairs. Also, when we were trying to watch the World Cup games in the lobby lounge, we couldn't even hear the game since the sanding equipment was so loud and kept blowing sawdust on us.
One of our family members got lots of bites which the hotel told us was mosquitoes but they spread all over his body and he suspected they weren’t. When we got back home, he went to the doctor only to find out they were bed rooms. I do not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel! I'm telling everyone about this horrible experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Nathan B

Dear Nathan B,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide excellent accommodations and services to our guests.

We are very sorry for the uncomfortable issues you experienced during your stay. We would like to inform you that the small improvements are done. Regarding the mosquitoes, our housekeeping department did an extensive supervision in the room and make sure is completely clean, we took it extremely serious, fortunately we do not have any record in concern the same situation.

If you decide to give us a chance, please do not hesitate to contact us agerencia.gnv@mx.occidentalhotels.com

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

General manager Tere did an outstanding job to help us in anything we needed we brought a large group of family and she went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. This place is under new management and there seems to be a lot of changes going on to improve the service. We fouund this place the perfect place for our group as it is not too big we had always visual contact for the kids.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Pros: Excellent beach. Good location on the south end of NV with a mini-mall and marina nearby. Great staff and very good food. Para-sailing available on the beach. Competitive pricing.

Cons: No hotel amenities information provided on arrival or available in the room - I think this puts enormous pressure on the reception and concierge staff. Buffet closes at 10pm. Open plan hotel so only AC is in the rooms and in one of the two a la carte restaurants. Hotel orientation and tour info tied to timeshare sales. No balconies, but all rooms are ocean facing.

Synopsis: Very professional pick up by Westjet rep at the airport. Nice hotel but something really needs to be done about the turf war between timeshare sales and the hotel’s affiliated 3rd party tour rep (orange shirt) on the one hand, and the package tour reps (WJ, Costco, Sunwing, etc) on the other.

Arrival: Guest arrival and reception at the hotel was an utter let-down. Arrived at 9pm with no handover from WJ to Occidental, no orientation, no cold towels or ice water, etc. My WJ envelope specifically states that “Check-in at Hotel Reception” (step 2) is part of WJ’s responsibility. The timeshare people wear the same attire as the reception staff so I thought I was being briefed on the hotel when in fact I was being pressured to sign up for the timeshare presentation at 8:30am the next morning (before I could meet the WJ rep at 11:30am.) This is something the WJ rep should have SPECIFICALLY pointed out - i.e. salespersons wear the same attire as reception and are to the right when entering the lobby. Either that or the WJ rep should have been present for check-in. I see it as a failure on the part of WJ. Period.

However, the timeshare guy was kind enough to suggest I get dinner before the buffet closed. I had no time to have a shower before going to the buffet, and was drenched in perspiration because of the humidity so I did not eat a lot. I was therefore hungry at midnight and went for a bite at the La Hacienda which offers burgers and pizza until 1am, but came down with a bad stomach the next day (luckily I brought Imodium and recovered after 2 days.)

I showed up at 11:35am in the lobby the next morning and apparently the briefing with the WJ rep was moved to the lounge and I was lucky I found that out by asking around. Found out later that the hotel does not want package tour reps to meet their guests in the lobby, likely because it creates competition for 3rd party tour reps affiliated with the hotel whose desks are in the lobby area.

As a result of a miscommunication, I made the mistake of buying a tour from the 3rd party tour rep (orange shirt) and was persona non-grata for the rest of the week as far as the WJ rep was concerned. Lesson learned. To their credit, WJ was punctual and professional for my return to the airport at the end of my stay.

Room: Immaculate and fairly well furnished with dark curtains to block the light, except that the bed was hard (read in another review that mattress toppers are available) and the coffeemaker and fridge were housed in a large stand-alone closet which is a complete waste of space, and keeps the fridge from working optimally so the drinks are not very cold. AC in the room was very good and adjustable in case it was too cold. The “Do not disturb/Make up room” sign kept falling off the door handle.

Room cleaning: Excellent

Staff: The only reason my visit turned out well was because the staff were MARVELOUS. Kudos to Maria and Idaly at the Concierge desk; all the friendly waiters in the lounge, the Buffet, Los Olivios, and the pool bar; the room cleaning staff; the Bellhop Roger doing his job with passion and commitment; the swimming pool activity staff; the timeshare sales people who are great people only doing their jobs; and Luis and Jose with Sky Tours.

Food: Excellent overall. The buffet was continually replenished so it never felt like they were running out. Food choices were quite extensive and desserts were extremely good. However they did seem to be running out of French toast one morning. Los Olivios was superb - air conditioned and quiet. The main downsides of the buffet were that the restaurant is open (i.e. not enclosed,) and there appeared to be some seating protocol/preference being followed. The waiters were all superb and hats off to the Restaurant manager for managing a tight ship and to the Chefs for the great food. I did not visit the La Hacienda again.

Summary: No AC aside from in the rooms so this hotel is more appropriate for winter visits. Stick with your travel rep. Avoid timeshare but negotiate decent freebies if you do sign up. The Mexican government/Hotel association needs to wake up the fact that aggressive timeshare sales at hotels might be working for the burgeoning Mexican middle class but is creating a bad reputation for Mexican tourism for international travelers (at both the airport and the hotels.) This business model is so 20th century - if it’s such a good proposition, why the need for high pressure sales? Throw in some cultural sensitivity-training for the owners of the hotel and this could possibly be a 4.5-star establishment.

PS. I have tried to provide a balanced opinion. A caveat is that this was my first trip to Mexico so I do not have a basis for comparison. I did have a nice trip overall despite some issues. Aside from the great staff, the best part of the hotel was the beach, the food, and the lounge in that order.

I initially posted this review as a 3 star previously as I vehemently dislike high-pressure sales, but decided to delete and repost it as a 4 star upon reflection as I realize that it is really a business model being followed by the Mexican resort industry and that the sales people probably have rather challenging jobs. However, "once bitten, twice shy."

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side buildings (the "L" portions on both ends closer to the ocean...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo