“This is the place if you just want to chill.”

Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights Feb. 14 & 15, 2009, and overall, I was impressed. This was my fourth time in Mexico, and the first time I’d ever had a room that wasn’t damp and musty-smelling. That’s a big plus!

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite because they didn’t have any studio rooms ready at the time. When we entered the room, my first impression was that this room was both lighter (natural light) and fresher than any other hotel room I’d had in Mexico. The only part that smelled nasty was the cupboard under the sink. There was a dehumidifier in the room, which I’m sure helped a lot. The room had a full kitchen, which was a great perk. I could see this being particularly nice for groups and families with children. I was also impressed with the large closet and the fact that the safe worked. (I’ve stayed in other places that advertised in-room safes, only to have them completely broken, with no plan of fixing them.)

All the resort restaurants seemed overpriced, so we didn’t eat at any. Because we were only there two nights, we pretty much lived off of snacks from the grocery store and were content with that.

Speaking of the grocery store, the building we were in was only steps away from the nearby shopping center, which was great. We ended up walking there a number of times: for some cheapo flip flops when my husband realized he’d forgotten his beach shoes; for food and drinks from the grocery store; to eat supper one night at the Mexican restaurant (it was affordable, passable, but nothing special). There’s also a Starbucks, Subway, and Dominos in this shopping complex, so if you (or someone you are travelling with) are one of those people who wants to stick with what’s familiar, you have some options.

We avoided being asked to sit through a timeshare presentation, which I am thankful for. At one point, the front desk called our room and said they had drink coupons or a welcome package or something for us to pick up; we ignored this, knowing it would no doubt turn into a timeshare thing. I don’t care what they're offering, I hate those things and it’s not worth it in my book.

We did notice that most of the people staying there seemed to be an older crowd, but that was fine because we weren’t looking for a party scene, or even a social scene. I just wanted to lie on a beach and do NOTHING, which I did, and it was wonderful. :-)

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Former_Badger
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed 9 March 2009

Hated the time share hard sell, even wated time listening. Had our phone and camera stilen by maid on the last day and even though upper management said they woudl take care of us they waited til we got home and then told us SOL........ I woudl never go back

3  Thank MichiganB_5
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This resort truly is Paradise. We loved everything about our stay-the room, the view, the food, the people, the beach, and the surrounding area. North of Puerto Vallarta in what is not being called "Riviera Nayarit", you are away from the hustle and bustle of the city (PV) yet close enough to get there for the shopping, dining, and nightlife. Located in Nuevo Vallarta, Paradise provides shopping at the local mall or little Mexican markets in the nearby villages. There is dining from local mom and pop fajita restaurants, to high end cuisine, and lots of local places where you can enjoy the Mexican people. Some places will take some courage to enter if you aren't familiar with them but if you dare to dine you will meet some of the warmest hearted people in the world. Someone there will speak English, but don't be afraid to try your Spanish, no matter how new you are to Mexico.
The resort has a world class spa, fitness area, tennis courts, golf course, and children's activities center. Oh, and if you want a real taste of the Mexican culture, be sure to do the "Mexican Fiesta Night" held every Monday night at the resort. You will find shopping, all you can eat/drink Mexican food, live music and dancing, and fireworks to top off the evening. A real treat for not much money.
We just returned from our annual trip. Some years we go two or three times as it is an excellent Jan/Feb get away and a great spring break location. This has been our winter getaway for 16 years.
The resort has timeshare purchases available. We have bought/upgraded four times. Many of our friends we have taken as our guests have purchased as well and we all love our time in Paradise. I encourage you to do the presentation for information and a tour of the resort as well as discounts on activities in the area or special spa treatment pricing. But beware- you are going to want to purchase time when you fall in love with Paradise Village. Tell them Roberto sent you!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank rrjjcc1953
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We were back for the third time and Paradise Village delivered as usual.
Our kids had a great time doing all the activities while mom and dad relaxed.
We participated in a few activities by the pool each day (chipping contest etc) but also went down to the beach for some reading time and some boogie-boarding. One of our sons loved to play bingo for some reason (??) . Our kids did the kids-camp for one morning as well where they made some friends and did some crafts.For people who are considering PV I can give some pro's and cons:
PROS: this place very clean , well maintained and safe.. making it great for families. One trip I cut myself ( my fault) and needed a couple stitches. The doctor on site sewed me up within 30 minutes with a friendly chuckle.
The pools are v clean and not crowded. The beach is great; shallow for quite some distance -- great for the kids.
The rooms are clean and large relative to others and come with a full kitchen ( see below). The furniture is getting a bit dated , I do hope they address that in the next few years. Having the one-bedroom is great with the family... the kids love sleeping on the sofabed in thier own space-- while we get our own room....
We have come back three times because we know what we are getting and have not been dissapointed. We have been to other resorts in Mexico and it is worth the extra 20 or 30$ a day not to have todeal with small dirtly rooms or bad drinking water.

CONS: It is expensive to eat and drink on the resort. You will spend a lot of money if you buy every meal at the pool or in a restaurant.. and order drinks to the pool etc. We make a trip to the grocery store when we get there and make most of our meals in the kitchen there. This has the side benefit that we eat quite healthy. We also use happy-hour (actually 2 hours) to its max :-) where we get 2 for 1 drinks. We do order the occasionaly cervesa or salsa and chips etc but they do not stop you from bringing drinks or food from your room, of course. We probalby have eaten at a resort restaurant twice each time we have gone. If you dont want to spend the cash or use the kitchen, I suggest you book an all-inclusive resort.

This is a family resort.. if you want to 'real' authentic mexican experience I would suggest staying in downtown Pueurto... it is a great city. But I get a laugh out of the folks who book a resort in the resort zone and complain that it is too commercial.

Time share sales are an issue. I suggest two things. 1. just say no. Be firm, this works.
2. go if you want the drink/discount/dinner etc, but have a time that you have an appointment and have to leave -- like an hour after you sit down and tell them before you start. But dont be shocked if you get heavy selling pressure when you agree to go to a sales presentation....
Dont lose your towels... they charge an arm and a leg.

Having said all that we plan to go again... it IS beautiful and relaxing.
Remember, all things in life are a mirror... enjoy.

6  Thank gocanucks99
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We went here with Mother & Father in Law (in there 50's) and Sister & Brother-in law (in there 20's). We all agreed that this was a glorified nursing home. I only seen a handful of people under the age of 70. There was a few families with younger children there. The whole place shut down about 10:00 pm so if you wanted to sit around the bar and visit or drink, you couldn't, everything was closed. They also closed the hot tub at 10:00 pm which doesn't make much sense when that is the time it actually cools off to were you would want to go in the hot tub. Very freindly when we checked in, until they figured out we were not going to sit through the timeshare program then everyone was rude and it was very hard to get waited on (it was like you were black flagged). You are so far out of Puerto Vallarta that it takes 30 min by taxi to get there and then it costs you so much you really don't want to go down town to party or visit. It felt like there was a curfew! The only store that sells grocery, liquor or misc items closes at 9:45 pm so you better not go on an all day excursion and need anything when you get back. We got back at 11:00 pm one night from a adventure and the whole place was dark, I thought we maybe would be locked out. Even the all inclusive package is a joke. You only get 3 meals, SOME ala carte options and national drinks, it is not a free for all like most resorts. And the concierge desk is no help unless you want to be harassed to buy a timeshare!
Mexico was awesome, resort sucked!

1  Thank BusterT
Reviewed 18 February 2009

This stay was a gift from a friend so we didn't do our usual amount of hunting and searching for the perfect hotel and location. and honestly, based on other reviews and photos I probably wouldn't have selected this property on my own. But this was our first vacation with baby in tow and it really couldn't have been a better fit.
There are a few buildings of different ages and rooms receive renovation on a very casual schedule. (We did the sales pitch so we saw a few). Our room was a two bedroom, two bath and it had a very large living room and balconey. The decor was very basic, think Holiday Inn with a few lame "Mayan" touches. However, it was very clean and everything was in good repair.
The grounds were really the best part with multiple pools, tennis courts, restaurants and it's right on the beach. We had a room on the ground level right next to the main pool and despite the heavy kid population it wasn't noisy. In fact, the pool was vacant by 6pm.
The restaurants were Ok. None of the offerings were unique or interesting but on the other hand my father, who accompanied us and hates spicey food, ate fine with no indegestion problems.
The best thing about the resort was that there was a clinic on the grounds and when my two year old woke up with a hundred and two fever and unable to breath we received immediate attention.
Other points about the hotel; there is a grocery store that is very overpriced but it's convenient. The "mall" that it is in doesn't have any stores worth looking at. It will cost about $20 to get into downtown Puerto Vallarta and take a not unpleasant half hour to 45 minutes. The rooms do not have wireless for your computer and it will take you forever to link up and cost $10 to hook up in the one lobby that does have wireless. There are no DVD players but we had our child's mini one and cables to hook up to the big TV. DO NOT go on the time-share sell. They say it will take 90 minutes and offer all sorts of discounts for activities to entice you to go. We did it for a free zip-line tour and after four hours of saying "no" we drug ourselves back to our room regretting all our wasted time.
So, two years ago, before I had children, I would never have thought of staying here and if I had my snobby expectations would have been disapointed. Now however, with baby in tow, I'm already looking forward to our next trip!

2  Thank LaraChicago
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Hola amigos.

The Playa Royale is the finest beach resort, by far, in the PV region. You have all the facilities and services from the Paradise Village Resort complex, but also have must nicer rooms and pools and beaches with many fewer guests competing for space. The employees are low key and are NOT pushing you to go to a presentation.

It is easy to catch a cab or bus and go south to PV for restaurants and clubs or go north to the coastal villages for outstanding meals of fresh grilled shrimp and cold beer. The Nuevo Area is being built up at a break neck speed. New hospitals, restaurants, resorts, hotels and so forth are under construction 24/7. If you are looking for a condo purchase or a vacation time share plan, this is the area of Mexico for you.

The community is developing an international service base. My wife and I have been coming to Paradise Village and Playa Royale for several years and cannot recommend it highly enough. We have given up on traveling to the east coast of Mexico. There is rumor that a new airport is being considered for development. That will add greatly to the attraction of Nuevo Vallarta. Please give this area a try, you will not forget it. While we are older, we will continue coming here as long as we phyically handle the travel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Combatshooter45