“Paradise Village Good Two Times in a Row” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
USA
“Paradise Village Good Two Times in a Row”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2006

We just got back from a week at Paradise Village, October 7-14. Having been before with my wife and our three kids and our friends and their three kids, this time I chose to take my 70-year old mother (the hotel staff lent us a wheelchair for the week, very considerate), and my sister and her husband and five kids. It was amazing, but we had 13 in our group, quite a sight to see getting in and out of the van taxis. You pay a price for that at the airport taxi stand--$60 US before tip. We had three rooms at Paradise Village, but the check-in clerk suggested that we combine my Mom's one room and our two room into a penthouse at the Grand Marina, and my sister was in the same building. Wow. The Grand Marina is off the beach, but once we saw the penthouse we didn't care. It was sweet. Huge veranda, beautiful grounds, basically a private pool, and very nice and spacious rooms. Quiet, too. Beautiful building, nice architecture. The teenagers were happy, right next to the mall. I've read negative reviews of the property and I'm perplexed--sure its not the Ritz Carlton, but it offers so many positives that I'm compelled to share them, and give some advice to first timers: Go to the Spa, either at the main hotel area or at the Golf Course. Both are great. Go to the Sports Complex and plan a full day there: adult day membership, $14 US. Take the kids, in particular, such a neat kids area--pool and indoor jumper gym. Any sport you can imagine, and its a beautiful lush area--basically unknown to the pool crew at the main hotel. The sports complex has a huge work out room, very nice locker room (sauna, steam room), restaurant, olympic pool, full indoor basketball court, three racquetball courts, tons of tennis, anything, you name it, they have it. Don't just stay at the main hotel area--get out and walk, take the free shuttle, move around--swim at the Playa Royale (another Paradise Village property, just north), again an amazing kids pool, they loved the fun slides, teens loved the huge jacuzzi, neat area--had it all to ourselves. Boogie board on all yellow warning days--good waves, my eight year old really got the hang of it. We never had a red day, so that was good. Heri at the Activities Building on the beach is great; we were so busy that we never got out sea kayaking--next time. Paradise V (Heri) can also set you up on an amazing (and safe) parasailing trip. Don't go with a cheap one off the beach north of the Village. Do the cigarette boat that Paradise owns. It is safe. My eight year old did it, loved it. OK, now to the amazing outside vendor--do whatever Vallarta Adventures offers; they are the excursion company of choice in Puerto Vallarta. They are one of the main reasons I am considering going back to Nuevo Vallarta over Hawaii, Cabo, Cancun, etc. There is something very special about this company--great employees, great tours, guaranteed good time. This time we did the 1/2 day Canopy Tour. Wow! The teens loved it. Some of us adults were a bit nervous but had a great time--it was so cool. The Vallarta Adventure staff is great, fun, amazing, (perfect English) just like the "party boat" guys were when we went snorkelling with them two years ago. I've looked at all the excursions they offer and all of them look great. Next time I want to do swim with dolphins for our younger kids. When we go again, we may try to do the full day adventure canopy tour, and the Yelapas tour--Vallarta Adv. is tops. They also fly people to remote locations for "cultural tours." Having been on their trips, I know they offer quality. They have so much going for them, check them out. At Paradise Village you are just a 1/2 mile or so away from an amazing Sea Turtle Rescue Mission (nonprofit, on the beach, just north of the Playa Royale). We have been four times, two times each trip. Our kids love it--helping the baby tortugas (that hatched that day) out into the ocean at twilight. Get there at 8:00, make a donation, take pictures before going down to the beach--it is amazing. The other neat opportunity is to meet at the Paradise Village lobby on Wednesday morning and go with the group to the Families at the Dump outreach mission. I've missed Sunday services at the resort both times I've been there, but had known that they do an outreach during the week. The owner of Paradise Village has been very generous to Puerto Vallarta's most poor--the people who live and make a living at the dump. We took a nice tour bus up to the dump, 1/2 hour ride, and while going there heard from the pastor's wife, an amazing woman in her own right, about the mission for the day. The bus was almost full--people were really genuine. We spent the hour once there distributing food, water, supplies, and handshakes and hugs to these good people, many of whom are fourth generation at the dump. The conditions are dusty, smelly. Be prepared. It is emotional, but I'm going to do it again, no doubt. Our ten year old son was quite moved by it. For other interesting trips, I recommend Bucerios, Marina Vallarta, and of course, Puerto Vallarta. We love the experience at PiPi's (especially the birthday celebration for our son--complete with celebratory flan and authentic singing). We love the sculptures, love shopping, the galleries, the museums, the church, the square. It is so neat, such great family time. Paradise Village is a center in Nuevo Vallarta, on one of the best beaches we've ever seen (not as clear as Cancun, ok), with activities that are essentially endless. If you want a great family experience, this won't disappoint. If you want a romantic getaway, consider a pricier location that has fewer activities. We will likely go back to Paradise Village because it works so well, it is centrally located and Vallarta Adventures and the Tortuga Rescue are next door neighbors.

• Liked — Great location, great beach, safe, amenities, facilities, mall
  • Disliked — Pushy timeshare sales people
  • Tips/Secrets — Vallarta Adventures canopy tour
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
13 Thank travelndaddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
New York City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2006

What’s the other word for un-heavenly? That’s where we stayed. Where do I start? First of all, I would not and cannot recommend this resort to anyone. We stayed here on a timeshare exchange so we knew that there would be some restrictions. At the time we booked our vacation, we were limited to our resort options and this one received pretty good reviews. I don’t know how, because we couldn’t have possibly stayed at a worse hotel. The room itself was ok. We tried upgrading, but it became more of a hassle. Our 1 bedroom was very dark as we were placed on the ground floor. All the rooms have a balcony, but we faced the Marina side and our view was blocked by palm trees so we got very little sunlight. The living room space was a decent size; however the tv was so tiny. The kitchen had a small sink and made it difficult to comfortably wash any dishes. If you are so unfortunate to stay here, I recommend doing an inventory as soon as you get there and make sure housekeeping knows of anything missing. We brought a lot of stuff with us with the intention of making some of our own meals. The small grocery in the Paradise Mall was about a 5 minute walk from the main building proved to be very sufficient as they had most things from fresh vegetables, milk, eggs, ice cream, soda, alcohol and even sun screen products and coolers.
If you get coaxed into sitting in on the sales presentation, do it early in the week. Make sure they offer you a good deal on excursion packages. They have a partnership with one of the excursion companies so you could negotiate down if you’re interested in doing something like hiking in the jungle, canopying or swimming with dolphins. I don’t recommend spending any more than 2 hours of your time with a sales pusher unless you’re seriously interested. If you already belong to a time share program, it really is pointless to join another one. Just take your gift and hope that they leave you alone for the remainder of your vacation.
If you’re the type of people that loves loud music behind an even louder camp counselor yelling games into a mike – then you’ll really enjoy having your peace and quiet interrupted as you try to relax poolside. Thank heavens we are not pool people and found more solace at the beach. Although, even from there, we could hear the music screaming from their PA system. The beach area had tables planted into the ground with beach chairs and you pretty much got sun wherever you sat. Outside of the beach vendors coming up to you every 10 minutes, it was enjoyable. Politely say “No Gracias” and they pretty much leave you alone.
The resort claims to have a zoo on the property. The map that we received at check-in is old, so don’t let that fool you. Because of continuing construction on the grounds, they moved the zoo to the far ends of the golf course. You could take a free shuttle there, but don’t expect anything close to the Bronx, Houston or San Diego Zoos and don’t expect to spend more than 20 minutes as it is tiny. Although we were told that these animals are rehabilitated, I find it hard to believe as there was no signage of that claim whatsoever. In reality, it is an animal prison with all the animals trapped in small cages with little room to roam free.
If you’re foodies, please, do your research for alternate places to eat because the food all around on the resort was too terrible for words. We experienced this early in our trip so were able to compensate by finding really good places off the grounds. If you’re going in town, I highly recommend Trio which is off the Malecon and Daquiri Dick’s in La Zona Romatica. Other recommended places are Pepe’s Tacos, Café Des Artistes, Arrayan, Las Burros.
Would I come back to Puerto Vallarta? In a heartbeat! I loved the beaches and downtown is fun to explore. If you don’t mind haggling, the Flea Market has some great bargains on souvenirs and such. Puerto Vallarta is beautiful and has a lot to offer. But you couldn’t pay us to stay at Paradise Village again.

• Liked — The beaches were fairly smooth. From what I heard, they are less rocky than Puerto Vallarta.
  • Disliked — The food was horrible.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't waste too much time on sales presentations. Do your research!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank chickiepie
Vallejo, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2006

If I could give this place a worse rating I would...in a second.

I may have stayed at a different Paradise Village from those reviewed here because I didn't have anywhere near the experience that other reviewers did.

My 2 bedroom suite reeked of vinegar and moldy furniture. The food at every restaurant on the property or around the property was terrible. I never thought I could get better Mexican food from the Roach Coach down the street from my office than I would in Puerto Vallarta. To demonstrate how bad the food was, after a week of forcing unappetizing food down our throats, the group I was with finally had our best meal on the trip...Where you ask? Outback Steakhouse, can you believe that?

In addition to the terrible food, you couldn't walk around the resort without being "attacked" by the "welcome committee" who tried every possible tactic to sell us a timeshare at their smelly resort. Even the guy who rented our car to us tried to sell us a week at Paradise Village.

Needless to say my wife and I will never visit Paradise Village again because it in no way lived up to its name.

Avoid this resort at all costs.

Stayed August 2006
14 Thank joeycamarata
Washington State
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2006

My husband and I go to Mexico every winter. We have stayed at different places every time. The funny thing about Mexico we have learned through our travels is that even though you have paid for this trip well before you come, you always get what is called "run of the house" when you get to your destination. When we arrived at Paradise Village we were put in a tiny room with a single bed, no windows. We paid for an ocean view with a king bed, but guess what....they had no rooms available that we had paid for. They assured us we would only have to stay in "the dungeon" for one night. Needless to say my husband and I made the best of it.

In the morning we were moved to the room we had paid for. We have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts, but this one to us had a twist we did not like. First, you really feel like an outsider being all-inclusive. Most of the people staying were time share people so you really felt as if you were "labeled."

The other thing we found annoying was you had to give your room number and sign for EVERYTHING you touched. We have never experienced this type of procedure before. Our joke to each other was "in the states this would be considered a waste of paper" but then again that is the charm of Mexico, right??? Putting all of this aside we thought the resort was nice, the food was EXCELLENT, the staff was friendly, the animals were entertaining. Our room was in the front so we could see the cages. Yes, we did not get our ocean view. The pool was noisy . The theme dinners were fun. They stop serving alcohol and food at 10pm every night. How crazy is that!!

Would we go back to this resort? No, because the room we recieved when we got there will forever be in my head. To pay thousand of dollars and stay in a "slum room" for one night was to much for us. So if your looking for good food, early bed times every night and a pool for your kids this would be your place, otherwise I would seriously check out other all-inclusives.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — all inclusive
  • Tips/Secrets — look around before choosing Paradise Vlillage
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
11 Thank tometichs
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2006

Had the two bedroom penthouse to accomodate the family. Love the penthouse- very spacious. The nightly themes with the buffet (all you can eat) were outstanding especially the Mexican Night. The weather was great and we all had a great time. The kids had a great time with the planned activities, especially the beach volleyball and beach soccer games.

Stayed June 2006
9 Thank gymmom6
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2006

First off, Paradise Village, does have one of the best beaches!! They have little tiki 'umbrellas' to lounge under & plenty of beautiful sand, not rocks! The ocean was warm & the waves were cool. They have 2 snack bars on the beach-pool area & the wait staff is very attentive. The moment you walked up to one, someone would be waiting to take your order. They also delivered the drinks right to your lounge area.The pool areas are beautiful, they have the bigger pool where it's more crowded & a smaller pool that is quiter.

The actual hotel is nice, Paradise Village says they are a 5star hotel, most web sites say they are a 3 1/2 star.......I say 3 1/2, the hotel is nice & so are the rooms(jr stuite) but nothing spectacular!
The kitchen in the rooms are cheesy, they charge you $2.50 more if you use the coffee pot, they have no bottle openers & you have to go buy your dishsoap from the grocery store, so I would wash the dishes before using them!! The maid conveintely forgot to leave us towels & extra TP the first day(probably because we hadn't tipped yet) and our room was not cleaned to after 4:30pm everyday
Time Share Ladies---we were coming out of the hotel & they tracked us down-stating they were the welome committee & wanted to get us a drink & they had some papers regarding the hotel & properties & what to do......reluctanly we sat down stating she had 5minutes to talk........she told us the minute we sat down that she did not work on commission & really wanted to show us what the hotel had to offer......so she showed us a bunch of papers & would we like to book an excursion, she could get us a discount(we already booked one, thru an indepedent web site& it went really well) & then all of a sudden she wants to sign us up for a 90 minute time share presentation. We say NO! She pressures & tries to make us feel bad & then says she does work on commision & she needs us to sign up so she can get her 'points' & then we can 'cancel' in the morning. Luckily some women wanted to say hello to her so while she was hugging her, my husband & I just left!! She tracked us down later & said we forgot our paperwork-we just kept walking & said we didn't need it.....So beware of the ladies whose desk is right beside the Tikal Bar, unless you want to go to 90minute meeting!!!!!

They have like 5 restaurants at the hotel. All of them but 2 were closed while we were there(Aug26th,2006-Aug30th,2006). We went to Italian night the first night & it was ok, it was a buffet, but not much food to choose from & cost about $54.00 for 2 people(drinks not included).
Do not go the the Shrimp Night- We went & it was $84.00!!! I got 5 shrimp, a little mound of potatoes & a little mound of rice & a bottle of water!!!!! My husband had the same!!!
We went to the Paradise Plaza & it was all right-wanted to eat at The Jungle- it was closed- we were going to eat at that Italian Place before the plaza-Il Pasteroe(sp?)- it was closed.
We did have lunch at the Mexican place in the plaza-it was pretty good. I reccomend going to town to eat. We went to the Blue Shrimp, one night & it was excellent, the food, ambiance & the wait staff....we would have eaten there everynight!!!

We did go to the spa & it was heaven!! Something you definetly need to do!!!
We also did a bay cruise, but think an evening one would have been funner & the prirate boat looks really cool!!

We would more than likely stay again, now that we know what to avoid. Overall we did have a wonderful time, the scenery is spectacular!!!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — lots of restaurants were closed
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to town to eat
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank pattenak
NewYork, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2006

We were at the Paradise Village Beach and Resort and Spa 8/18-8/25/06. Total of 9 people. 5 Adults, plus a 20, 18, 16, and 14 year old. We had 2 ocean front 2 bedroom suites. Since they were on the 3 floor you really couldn't see the ocean. You need to be on the higher floors. The rooms were very nice and clean. The only draw back is the smell of dampness. It was not just our rooms but a common complaint throughout the hotel. The air conditioning and the ceiling fans help to keep the damp feeling at bay. We were greeted at the airport by the "Olympus" tours-orange shirts. They were great. Polite and more than willing to help you plan any further excursions. I have heard alot of complaints about the time share hawking-yes-they are there. However if you tell them you are not interested they leave you alone. It is only when you are undecided do they go in for the hard sell by promising you discounts on spa treatments or "free"tours. Remember there is NOTHING for free!

We were part of the all inclusive-so we all wore grey bracelets.
This is where is was not all it was sold to us. We were aware of the additional upcharge for certain menu items-lobster, filet. About $7 per person. We were lead to believe that all the restuarants are part of the all inclusive but they are not. Kabal is open as a beach cafe only-not at night because of the rainy season. Mayapan and Telum are the two that are included. Both
serve wonderful food. Every night of the week is a different theme night, Mexican, Western, Shrimpfest, Lobsterfest, Italian night etc. Again certain foods there is a nominal charge. The service for breakfast, lunch and dinner is great. For lunch and snacks you can get service on the beach as well as around the pool. The staff are warm and friendly. Even though tips are included we did tip and it seemed to be truly appreciated.

The beach is NOT caribbean blue. But it is nice and warm, there were big waves while we were there so there were always red flags up. There was no problem getting the beach palapas or chairs around the pool. The hotel was at about 60% capacity. I can imagine the arguement during peak season.

You get what you pay for. If you are looking for grand lobbies filled with fresh flowers, turn down service, or where the staff jumps up to greet you when you get off the elevator THIS IS NOT THE PLACE for you. If you are looking for an affordable, relaxing stay in a clean, friendly at mosphere give this place a try.
There is a mall on the grounds. There are no bargains there. The hotel is stingy on shampoo so I went to the mall to buy some it was close to $7US. The town is quite pretty. The usual-flea markets, souvenier shops, bars and restuarants the usual Hard Rock, Carlos and Obrien, Senor Frogs etc. We have been to Beaches Turks and Caicos and this is 10 times better, better food, nicer staff, you can actually leave the grounds! We had a nice time and have some great memories to carry us through.

• Liked — nice beach, property maintained
  • Disliked — the damp smell in the hotel rooms and certain public places
  • Tips/Secrets — it is definitely worth a shot. But if you are looking for the lap of luxury you will not find it here
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,611 reviews

Been to Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!