“Be prepared to have to tip for service”

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nuevo Vallarta
“Be prepared to have to tip for service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

When we booked your hotel for our honeymoon we expected first class service (like you get at most hard rock properties) and instead it felt like a low class all inclusive resort with crappy food and mean service staff. I really feel like we got shorted for our honeymoon and we'll never get the experience back.
The concierge didn't have the "can do" attitude a normal hotel concierge has. No one went out of their way to make anything happen for us. We were on our honeymoon and had to ask 3 different people how to get the benefits of that even after we told the reservation person when we booked and the check in person when we arrived. It just seemed like no one cared because we didn't have a black or blue VIP bracelet. We asked multiple times for suggestions on places to go in town and 2 different people in purple shirts told us to stay at the resort....not helpful.
I believe the problem is tip related. We have stayed at lots of other all inclusive resorts and all most all of them do NOT allow their staff to take tips. All inclusive means ALL INCLUSIVE. The staff is the opposite. If you don't tip, you don't get service. That needs to change! We were more than happy to tip for exceptional service but you didn't even give us that chance.
Most of their service staff at the pool were rude. The quality of your food and drink was sub-par even for an all inclusive. Every time we asked a question it would take 2-3 people to get an answer.
They allow kids in the bar after hours so there are children running around everywhere even when there is a big sign that says no children after 10pm.
The only place we got exceptional service was inside Zen.
We paid to use a pool cabana one day and practically got kicked out and yelled at by your security staff to move because we didn't have a black or blue VIP bracelet. Once we showed them our paperwork they just walked away. No apology. We asked one of the pool servers for some chips and salsa and she told us to get it ourselves...where is the customer service training?
On a positive note: it was very clean and we felt safe in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Luis E, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Ang O

Thank you for to share your review, and i would like to thank you for bringing your observations to my attention. I am very concerned that we have fallen short to your expectations. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, I assure you that I am constantly monitoring the comments of our guests and will have a specialist contact you via a private message to address the observations you have expressed and we hope you visit us again in the near future.

Luis Entrala Fábregas
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Polish first
Redondo Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our first time staying at Hard Rock Vallarta, though we have stayed as a family at the following places: Hard Rock Punta Cana in the presidential suite, many times at Moon Palace, Beach Palace, at Adventura Cove Palace, vacationed at 5 AIs in Jamaica, cruised to Alaska and Puerto Vallarta, stayed in time shares in Hawaii, and vacationed around the US. And I have in the presidential suites at the Four Seasons around the U.S.

What did we like the best about HR Vallarta? We stayed two weeks and were impressed that, like Beach Palace, Jamaica AIs, and Hawaii, the staff as a whole were friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Also, the hotel has been recently updated with a clean, contemporary décor.

The rooms: as a family of three with a nine year old who enjoys sleeping 12 hours per day, it was important that we had a quiet, fairly large, updated room. Our first night was difficult due to noisy neighbors seemingly oblivious that the halls echo. Sorry parents, but allowing kids to scream and run up and down in the halls and at all hours of the night is not cool. But, the front desk staff gave us three new rooms to look at and decide upon, one of which fit us perfectly: top floor garden/ocean view wing. It had two queen sized, pillow top beds, with a variety of pillows to choose from, and comfortable duvets. And the towels were all fairly new, bleached pure white. The Jacuzzi tub was situated by the bathroom, both of which were smaller than our first room, but the high ceilings made up for the loss of space. Our view was beautiful with the grassy gardens and the ocean facing the sunsets.

The Market Place Buffet was nicely filled with all the basics usually offered at Palace Resorts and other AIs. At breakfast there were a variety of breads: Mexican sweet breads, pastry rolls, donuts, bagels, etc. They had a fruit and yogurt bar with fresh fruit such as mangos, papaya, melons, etc. They had smoked salmon, capers, and cream cheese daily. Cook to order: fruit and vegetable drinks, specialty coffees, eggs, omelettes, crepes (with nutella or chocolate or strawberries, etc.) For lunch, they had delicious cook to order fajitas. The fish (sea bass) was always fresh and as my daughter said, "Literally melts in your mouth!" Special thanks to Carlos, and Ever who were always working hard. They catered to everyone and still remembered us with a smile, brought us special mouse pancakes for our daughter, and never forgot our drinks!

The Zen Restaurant: Having had restaurants in my family in the past and a Cordon Bleu chef as a brother, I am definitely a foodie. I was surprised that this Asian fusion restaurant in Vallarta had a sushi maker who provided fairly consistent, fresh, perfectly cut Ahi sashimi, and a delicious Crunch roll. The kitchen chef was also consistent with a fresh, medium rare, 3 piece rack of lamb (yes in the Japanese restaurant!) It was served on a dollop of buttery mashed potatoes, with a sweet fruit glaze and a beet puree, broccoli, and zucchini. The dish which was well balanced and absolutely wonderful. Our daughter enjoyed fresh fried spring rolls, as many as she could eat, dipped in sweet and sour sauce. And the cook made her a special cook to order place of fresh steamed shrimp with butter that we all ended up eating, it was perfect. Special thanks to Ricardo, Martinique, and Alma for always greeting us with a smile, making our anniversary extra special with a delicious chocolate cake, and hustling to get everything my tall order husband from NY always demanded.

The Ciao Restaurant: We ate at the Italian restaurant two times while it was inside due to repairs outside. Personally, I liked the location better inside because of the air conditioning. But, the view outside was absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed the filet mignon there, the delicious flat bread with olive oil and vinegar, and the delicious renditions of tira misu and crème brulee. Special thanks to the manager, Mayra, and Misel for your friendly smiles and dedication to serve with your utmost ability. It makes all the difference.

The pool side restaurants: The brick oven pizza at lunch was delicious when paired with chorizo and bourgogne sauce. We also liked to ask for pesto only. And the Mexican grill had surprisingly good hamburgers.

Overall, the food was delicious when we found what we liked. Guacamole is always a must in Mexico and HR Vallarta had that in plenty of supply, fresh and delicious, with fresh avocados, cilantro, onions, lime, and a hint of salt.

The spa: Well, I usually frequent high end nail salons and BW in the states. I LOVED Hard Rock Punta Cana's spa facilities and I very much enjoy Moon Palace's spa. The spa at Vallarta was excellent in the service and professionalism, not so great in the amenities. But, the good news is that they are building a bigger and better one some time soon. I will be back if they do! Special thanks to: Pepe for a perfect mani-pedi for my daughter with her small nails. My massages were all fantastic and my mani-pedi French tips rivaled my favorite nail salon at home.

Kids Club: Once my daughter started kids club, she didn't want to leave. She was up early every day (at 10:30), just to get down there to do the crafts with Diana and Mercedes. We were worried that she would not like it there as an only child because she lost her interest in the last two years we have stayed at AIs, but Diana and Mercedes brought her back. Why? They talk to the kids and spend time helping them with their daily crafts, sand time, pool water balloon fun, lunch at the outdoor Mexican restaurant, and movies. They cater to their kids needs based on voting on what they collectively enjoy. And they are always positive, enjoying their time with all the kids. The facility needs updating, but we hear they should be building a new kids club space soon. We will be back as soon as they do, if our daughter is still of age!

Extra Excursions: Our family thoroughly enjoyed the Vallarta Adventure Dolphin swim. It was the first time we actually were able to ride under the water with the dolphin as well as on top. And our group had only 5, so there was plenty of interaction with the dolphin. And the facility was a nice, clean pool. We would definitely do this one again. We took many others which were interesting and somewhat educational, not as great at Tulum and Chichen Itza, but you can't have it all. Perhaps a visit to a museum with a curator tour or a visit to a school where our kids can interact with locals and learn Spanish would be an added incentive to return to those who have done everything before. Parents see value in educational workshops for our kids and if they are offered for free with bonus points, I am sure that would entice us to Vallarta even more.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and hope to return again some day. My daughter has Hard Rock Vallarta on her number one spot for our Summer vacation destinations in the future. Thank you to the staff, particularly those mentioned above, for your hard work and dedication to the customers at HRV.

Room Tip: If you are picky, just ask to see the rooms that are available before you move in.
6 Thank CMCRedondoBeach_CA
Luis E, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear CMCRedondoBeach_CA,

Wow! I have enjoyed very much your amazing review .Thank you for sharing your anniversary experience and especial thanks for your great feedback, We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had a fabulous time at our resort and enjoyed the Rockstar treatment, It is very encouraging to hear that you have enjoyed every single day of your vacations with us , Thank you too for spotlight the names of so many of our staff members, i will let them know they made the difference during your stay. thanks again for your comments and we can’t wait to welcome you again here at Hard Rock hotel Vallarta.

Keep the good times rolling!

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

It is a small resort and I would say it is a great place for adults and not for families with small children. If your kids are good with the pool and beach then I'd say it's O.K. We were only dissatisfied with one restaurant. Otherwise the food was good (we are not super picky). Staff was very friendly. Thank you Lucy and Canario. Check out the side trips - they were great!

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Luis E, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Greetings brschu,

Thank you for your short and sweet review, is a pleasure for me to know that you had a nice stay despite to any inconvenience, thank you for the kind comment about Lucy and Canario, they would love to know about it, looking forward to greet you back soon to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta.

Hang with the band!

sylmar, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went for to Hard Rock for a vacay and my best friends wedding. I must say this place is amazing! The grounds are beautiful and the staff was always very friendly. We got a room on the 6th floor ocean view. Room was perfect had jacuzzi and liquor dispenser!! Room service was fast and available 24hrs. We did get the all inclusive so we were able to go to all the restaurants. We had perfect service at every one of the restaurants and all the food was delicious. The wedding its self was not very organized and they could have done better for the money the newly weds spent. Down fall of the wedding night was the couple was robed for 1000. cash from there room on there wedding night. Hotel did nothing to reinburst them. That is horrible service from such a popular and upscale hotel. This place has to really get better staf when it comes to allowing people into the guest room. I can only advice if you go to this hotel pls keep all valubles in the safe! and who knows if that is even safe. Two of the other couples also had issues with someone going through there stuff on the wedding night. Other that that we had a great vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mari s
Luis E, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear mari s

Thank you for taking the time to write this review as it allows us the opportunity to address the issue that affected your stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you and your group experienced, I would like you to know that we regret to hear comments like this. Rest assured that I will be personally consulting this review with the Director of Security here.
Should you return to the Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta in the future please ask for me, I would love to express my apology to you in person.
Again thank you for your candor in bring this matter to our attention.

Kind Regards,

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I used tripadvisor to find what hotel we wanted to stay at in Puerto Vallarta and ended up loving our choice so now I want to share with anyone else who might be considering this hotel for their next vacation. My husband and I are both 40 and we have two kids, 7 and 4. All of us loved this hotel. There are plenty of lounge chairs (although not that comfy as other places) at the beach and pools. There are two big pools and two pools for the kids. One of them is only like 1 foot deep for really small kids. The other has a small 1 foot side and a deeper 4'6" side together. That is where the waterslides are. My son would have spent his entire vacation going down the waterslide that goes through a rock. He absolutely loved it! My daughter who is 4 enjoyed the small kids slide. During the day there are plenty of places to eat including Pizza cooked all day (until 10pm!!) in an outside rock oven. My son loved that he could get a personal pizza any time of the day. The service was incredible. Best service I have ever had at an All Inclusive Hotel. We were never without a drink in hand. The main pool has a great island with built in loungers to lay on. The swim up bar is conveniently located near that spot. As for the restaurants we were very happy with our choices. We ate at Ciao twice and loved it. We used our resort credit to upgrade to good bottles of wine. You still have to pay the 20% on it but we really enjoyed some good bottles from Chile. We ate at Frida's once and I ordered the seafood enchilada's - highly recommend them!! We also ate at Zen which the kids loved because of the noodles and we got to have sushi rolls. For breakfast, in addition to the massive buffet, they had an omlet bar, crepe bar and smoothie bar. I got to have protein smoothies each morning. We also used the gym once or twice. Great location (over looking the pool and beach) with plenty of equipment and free weights.

We never left the hotel because it had everything we could possible need. We didn't end up sending the kids to the kids club because were only there for 5 days and they wanted to hang out with us which was fine. So I can't really comment on the kids club, but we did see them doing different fun activities throughout the resort and beach.

We only saw one show while were there but it was fun to watch and the kids got to have popcorn and they served us beer.

Overall it was a great place and would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 4043 and loved our spot.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Luis E, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Danielle1018,

All i can say is Wow! Thank you very much for all the kind remarks, appreciate the feedback for your experience and i assure you that we are loving to do our job and read how much you have enjoyed the resort, I know that people will find your review, as very helpful as delightful i found it, once again thank you, whenever you come back to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, our red carpet will be waiting to welcome our cherished Rockstars!!

Leon, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My Family and I, were amazed of how well in general the whole staff treat you; the food is amazing, and the alternative options for dinner, makes you want to eat in excess, specially the desserts.

The room is great, they say that it has a beach front view, but I guess you could ask for a better view in advance.

The service at the pool bar, and at the beach were superb, and the rock bands, were quite outstanding.

Just a recommendation, when we booked the vacations, they never were very clear about how to use the "limitless resort credit", apparently you have to use it only in the services provided by the hotel, and the staff only offer us, swin with dolphins and the canopy, and I realize later, that there were a lot more options, but we weren´t told, so it was a waiste of this option, a tip: make sure that somebody explain in fully detail on your arrival, so you can take advantage of this.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room, and the higher the better view
Appreciated oscargmt,

Thank you so much for your short and sweet review, I ‘m glad to hear how much you enjoyed your holydays at Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta. No doubt there is always something going on as the fun is non-stop at our resort. Also happy to hear that you had an excellent stay despite any inconvenience, looking forward to see you on your next visit, we are ready to roll out the red carpet for our appreciated Rockstars!

Nuevo Vallarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

everything was great, room service, restaurant service, bell boy, front desk, entertaintment, all the people who works at hard rock ie very pro and gentle
the only thing the room was to small and the bed was very unconfortable and the best area was kids club my kids realy like it.

1 Thank Juan Carlos P
Greetings Juan Carlos P,

Thank you very much for your short and sweet review, thatk you for rate us with the higher rate, I an so glad to hear that you had a great stay despite any inconvenient and the little Rockstars had a blast at the Lil big club, once again thank you, whenever you come back to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta, our red carpet will be waiting to welcome our cherished Rockstars!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,706 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta? Share your experiences!