“First Class Resort”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“First Class Resort”
Reviewed 24 January 2006

We visited VP Jan10-17th and found it to be wonderful. I was a little worried about the service after reading some of the reviews, i found I had nothing to worry about. The service was absolutly amazing.
Food- breakfast and lunch were okay. Not a whole lot of variety from day to day but plenty to choose from. All of the alacart restaurants were great. Our favorite was the Italian. Mamanohana(the japanese rest) was delicoius. You don't need to order and entree after the appetizers,(they bring lots).
Rooms- the rooms was very nice. The beds were amazing, best sleep I had in a long time. We used the jacuzzi alomst every night. What a wonderful way to unwind.
We did find the timeshare people a little pushy but just tell them you don't want too go and they will leave you alone.
The best drink we had was a Mudslide.. order that and you'll be hooked. YUMMY!!
All and all we had an amazing time here. The grounds r small but beautiful. Flowers and plam trees everywhere. We will definitly return here on our next vacation to PV.

16 Thank beachlovers33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed 22 January 2006

My Husband and I took our first vacation in 18 years. It was Fabulous! I find it interesting how some people can complain about the smallest thing. My husband is easy but I'm a little on the picky side and I still found this hotel to be five stars. First of all the hotel is quite beautiful. It almost looks like a small university. It's not very attractive on the outside but when you walk inside the lobby you'll find it to be very pleasing to the eye. Rooms are a bit small, but really! how much time do you spend in your room when the pool calls to you each day?
Each room is fully stocked with soda, (Pepsi and 7-up) beer, Dos X's,Tecate,Sorry no Coronas, and several large bottles of the hard stuff (Tequila, brandy and rum) It also has a very large hot tub and we're sure more than two people could fit inside. We found out that if you use the hot tub make sure you run the cold water first because as many other reviewers have stated the water can get very hot. We didn't mind this at all because it’s been our experience that hot water is usually in high demand in Mexico. The beds are fabulous! And very comfy. The food was great! Again, if you are a picky person and send your water back because it's too cold, this hotel is not for you. (Yes! we heard a woman send back water.)
Our favorite place to eat was the Japanese restaurant. The food was sooooooo tasty!. They make fresh sushi so we ate there several times. There is also and Italian Restaurant. This place has the best service. One night our friends and us ate and drank until it closed. Be prepared to gain some weight! I ran and I still gained several pounds!
Service is outstanding. These people go out of their way to make your stay as wonderful as they can. Although this hotel is an all inclusive and you're not suppose to tip, we did. The workers make about $5.00 to $8.00 a day and despite what some people may tell you it is not cheaper in Mexico. They have the same rate of inflation as us. They work very hard for their money. We tipped almost everyone. The fact that we were able to talk to the help in Spanish allowed us special insight into the hotel and how things really work. We made friends with the help and treated them with the respect they deserve. I think the USA service industry could learn a thing or two from the hotels.We give special thanks for Yisel in the lounge, Carlitos in the Italian resturant and the wonderful ladies at the salon. Sigh up early and take the free trips included in your package. The city tour was a great way to spend a morning. Gavino was quite funny and had a lot to share with us. Take his advice and buy silver from a silver stores not the venders down on the beach. You'll stop for lunch at place that has the best fish! Enjoy! The Sunset tour with Willie was very nice for an evening outing.
We also went on the Canopy tour! (Wow! this was fun!)
The tour guides are fantastic( Tip Big )and will take great care of you. ) It's safe and an enjoyable way to spend the day. Do it, you won't be sorry. Buy the CD. ($40) It was a great way to remember such a fantastic experience.
The beach is so beautiful, however the ocean is so cold you won't want to go in, perhaps the pool water is a better choice although, this is almost just as cold. Drinks are a little watered down but you really don't want them too strong because you'll get sick from drinking so many. We're not drinkers but you get outside in the hot sun and you tend to become very thirsty.
Entertainment was nice. Each Night they have some special entertainment for you to go see. The kids do a good job and you'll generally enjoy yourself. If we were to say anything negative about the hotel it would be about the lounge singer. Our room was on the forth floor just above the lobby and lounge and each night they had the same singer singing the same songs over and over again.( How many times can you stomach, Selena's,"Como La Flor" It was not good. The only night we enjoyed the entertainment in the lounge was on Sunday, when they had Karaoke. However, this ended too early and then there's not much after that.
This Hotel is overall excellent, and you'll not disappointed if you stay here. The timeshare presentation took about two hours of our time but it's worth the $100 of services you'll get if you attend. If you’re a traveler buy into the program.
Just a note: Make sure you are ready for the crazyness at the airport. When you get out of customs look for the people with the signs that read " Vallarta Palace Resorts" if your package includes transportation these men or women will have your name on a clipboard. They will send you to the hotel in a taxi or a shuttle. When you arrive they'll be waiting with several cool glasses of champane. Enjoy!

30 Thank Patricia N
Reviewed 21 January 2006

An amazing all inclusive. It is a Palace resort, typically most of these are on the Mayan Riviera. Due to the hurricane we were forced to re-schedule our December vacation and really lucked out with this hotel. ALL the rooms are oceanview, we were given unlimited no cost excursions and $100 in Palace Spa $. We enjoyed sunset pedicures with aromatherapy collars around our necks while sipping champagne. Free mini bars are re-stocked daily. There was 24 hour room service. We enjoyed bottles of fine wine while getting ready for dinner at a la carte restaurants nightly. There were even thick terry cloth robes in each room as well as fullsized biosilk hair products! I am almost feeling like I should not submit this in case it is booked for when we want to go back next year!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Idaho
Reviewed 21 January 2006

We had a great time at the Vallarta Palace. We came back well rested and very tan. The beach was one of the best I've seen outside of Cancun. It was wide, well groomed, and went on for a very long way. You can take a long walk in both directions. There were two pools for swimming plus a small wading pool. One of the pools was very cold and one was heated. On some of the very hot days it was nice to jump into the cold pool but most days I preferred the warm pool. The grounds were beatiful and very well maintained.
Food: There are four restaurants that serve dinner, two that serve breakfast and for lunch you can eat at either of the two that serve breakfast or eat at the snack shack by the pool. Breakfast is great. There are lots of fresh fruit, an egg station for omelettes or cooked to order eggs. You can also get waffles, french toast, or pancakes to order. There are also other options like oatmeal, cold cereal, many different breads, and various choices from a buffet. Lunch is where they are lacking a little. There are two restaurants that serve lunch and everything is very well done but except for the desserts that change daily there is very little variety. The snack shack has hamburgers, hot dogs, and nachos and in my opinion the only really good thing there are the nachos. Those I ate many times. Dinner is also great. In order of personal preference: the Italian ranks first, then the Oriental, the Mexican, and the Brazilian last. They were all good I just preferred them in that order. Try to go to the Italian restaurant around 6:30 pm at least once. It is right on the beach and at 6:30 you will see a wonderful sunset. The food there is excellent and if you don't see quite what you want ask and they will try to make it for you. I wanted chicken alfredo and they had chicken for other dishes and they did do an alfredo dish so they happily accomodated my request. The oriental restaurant is a mix of Japanese and Chinese. Don't bother reading the list of appetizers as they will bring you one of each on the menu as soon as you sit down. They will also bring you a tray of four kinds of sushi. No, it is not the best sushi I have ever had but it is quite good. The Mexican restaurant is buffet style and you need to go when they are making tacos, it will give tacos a whole new meaning. The tortillas are very different from anything I have seen here in the states and the grilled beef or pork are both excellent. The dessert choices are all very good and in the words of one very wise woman I met at the dessert table "You should take two so you don't hurt the cooks feelings, I hear he has a big knife.". The Brazilian was well done with a small salad bar and then the waiters bringing by grilled vegetables and very large skewers of meat.
Room: Here is where I think the Vallarta Palace could use some improvement. The rooms are not much bigger than standard hotel rooms and most of the room's balconies are just barely big enough to stand on with no room for a chair. Yes each room has a huge jacuzzi which is fun to use once or twice but when you've spent the day either in the ocean or in a pool or one of the hot tubs outside how often do you want to sit in a jacuzzi? I would rather have had the space used for a sitting area. My husband and I were there with my son and his girlfriend and there wasn't room for the four of us in that room unless we sat on the bed. I also would have liked to have had more room for putting my things. There wasn't enough room around the sink to put out my toiletries so they had to stay packed in their travel bag and I had to dig through it every day. Plus there were only four small drawers plus two end tables to store things in and we wound up leaving many things in our suitcases. Any one who says the bed was hard as a rock was not exagerating. Ask for a mattress pad as soon as you get there, it makes a difference. On the plus side the room is kept scrupulously clean, with amazing towel art every day. The small refrigerator is restocked every day and we never ran out of bottled water even with as much as we drank.
As for activities it simply did not interest us. We stayed away from the daytime activities but there seemed to be a never ending list of things to do if you were interested. At night we only went to one of the shows so I can only comment on the one and it was enjoyable but not top drawer. This hotel does quiet down fairly early on most nights so if you are looking for a nonstop party place this is not for you. If you are looking for a great place to relax by the beach with good food and service then this is the hotel for you.

14 Thank Poftheo
Reviewed 20 January 2006

Vallarta Palace is truly a first class all inclusive resort. My wife and I and our two children ages 10 and 5 spent the week of January 9 to the 16th 2006 at this remarkable resort. With exception to the evening entertainment Vallarta Palace offered number one service pertaining to all aspects of an all inclusive.
The rooms were fantastic and cleaned to perfection daily. Sometimes twice for those of us who were generous enough to tip!
The food was excellent in all aspects from the room service menu to the buffet. However, simply remember not to try and eat everything on the first day! Pace yourself and you will have no reason to get tired of the food.
The a la carte restaraunts were very good with no need to make reservations. The Italian, Japanese and Brazilian served high end food with high end service.
The pools were clean and the Gym had some of the best work out equipment available.
I was awake before 7:00 a.m. daily and the resort was teaming with staff working efficently to prepare the grounds, pools and beaches for the guests.
The staff at Vallarta Palace are superb. Some are very fluent in English. After a couple of days a lot of the staff will adresse you by your first or last names.
You will be welcomed as soon as you arrive at Vallarta Palace with wide smiles and proper direction.
So if you want a complete, top of the line all inclusive experienc for a reasonable cost go to the Vallarta Palace in Nuevo Vallarta.
A great place for families young and old.
Oh yes. Do not forget to take money for tipping! 20 to 50 pesos will go a long way for you.
And a little note for those of you who had a so called "bad experience" at Vallarta Palace; I call "hogwash".
Your expectations were simply to high.
Have a wonderful vacation.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cherokee, Iowa
Reviewed 20 January 2006

We stayed at the Vallarta Palace from Jan. 11 thru Jan. 16. It was not nearly long enough. We went with another couple who are very close friends of ours and we had the time of our lives!

Upon our arrival we were greeted outside and out bags taken to our rooms. We received a cold wash cloth and a glass of champaign. When we went to the check-in desk we told them our names and requested one of the king suites. We were very lucky to both get one! Only the king suites have a large balcony and there aren't very many of them. You are given a wrist band to wear while at the resort, and must be cut off only when checking out otherwise they will charge you $75. It wasn't a big deal having to wear them at all... We arrived early so our rooms weren't quite ready. We sat out on the lobby bar terrace and had a few drinks until they were ready.

ROOMS- The king rooms are beyond nice! They have a large balcony with two chairs and a table. All of the king rooms have a spectacular view of the resort pools and ocean. The sunsets are breathtaking!!! VERY ROMANTIC!!!

There is a two person jacuzzi right beside the oversized king bed. The bed is huge and very comfortable. There are many down filled pillows for sleeping. You can lay in bed and listen to the waves crashing on the beach.

There is a fully stocked mini-bar which includes premium brand scotch, brandy, tequilla ect. There is also beer, sodas and bottled water restocked daily. There was a bottle of wine and two glasses waiting for us in our room when we arrived.

There are two complimentary robes that are plush. The shower is huge and has great water pressure! The bathroom area is very modern and private. The water temperature does fluctuate, but was not a big problem for us. We did have problems with our toilet flushing, but as soon as we reported it, it was fixed right away. Not long after it was fixed, someone called to make sure everything was okay.

FOOD-The food at the Itallian restaurant was very delicious. They have a number of gormet items to choose from. Our favorite desert was the Gondola. We weren't quite sure what it was, but you have to try it, because it's delicious! We ate there the majority of our stay because we could dress up and order off the menu. On our last night we were served champaign to celebrate our vacation compliments of the host. If you're hoping for some great seafood, you'll be disappointed. There are only a couple of dishes in the whole resort that serve shrimp, clams, and other shell fish, no lobster or crab. (Unless they served it in one of the other places where we didn't eat??)

The Mexican restaurant was a little disappointing...we were expecting authentic mexican food. The steak was excellent, but we expected other mexican items like enchiladas, chimichangas, tacos, ect. They did have some good fajitas.

We didn't have time to visit the Japanese restaurant, or the Brazillian restaurant, because we ordered room service two nights during our stay.

The room service had excellent food! We tried almost everything. They do not bring beverages, because they are provided in the room. No matter what you order, no matter what time of day, its delicious. (Part of the all inclusive package). When they bring your food to the room, they come in and set the table and everything for you! When your finished, you set your dishes outside your room and someone picks it up right away.

The snack shack by the pool bar is pretty good too. They have hamburgers, chicken burgers, hotdogs, chili dogs, nachos, ice cream, pizza, ect. during the day.

Breakfast is buffet in the Mexican resturant and the Itallian one too. They serve omlets the way you like them, eggs anyway you like them, waffles, pancakes, french toast, pastries, fruit, ect. We loved breakfast and were too full for lunch, so we ended up having late afternoon snacks at the snack shack.

DRINKS-The beer on tap is Sol. Sol just happens to be my favorite mexican beer! If you order mixed drinks, the bar tender will give you their house booze. If you want the premium stuff, you have to specify what you want before they make your drink. They don't hold back on the amount of alcohol in your drinks, so if you don't like them strong, only order a half a shot. Bring your own large insulated cup if you plan on drinking a lot of beer, otherwise they serve it in little platic cups. This results in either a lot of ordering, or going to get it yourself.

BEACH-The beach is clean, soft, light brown sand. The water is a lot clearer here than the northern part of Mexico. The water was actually warmer than the pools. We enjoyed using the body boards that were a blast!!! The waitresses would come out to the beach and take drink orders, which was very nice because you could lay out and not have to go get your own drinks.

POOLS-The pools were very clean. We only got in the pool once. The water was pretty cold in the unheated pool, but most people were in the heated one. We really didn't care, because we spent all of our time out on the beach. (You can lay around a pool anywhere in the world!) Make sure you keep track of your towel coupons that they give you upon arrival. You trade them in for a towel, and then when you return your towel they give you your coupon back. If you do not have that coupon when you check out, it will cost you $20 each.

SERVICE- Everyone is very friendly. We received excellent service all week. The staff made us feel like royalty. It's up to the individual whether or not to do any tipping, but it is not required. We did tip the drivers and tour people. No matter if you are a tipper or not, you are treated great!

ACTIVITIES-We took advantage of a couple of the tours available through our package. We did the horseback riding, which was okay, but not that great. It was included with our package, so we didn't complain. Unless you are set on riding, spend the day at the beach instead. We also took the city tour. If you are planning on getting your shopping done at this time...forget it. Plan your own day of shopping. You are only given a short amount of time at a jewelry store that sponsors the tour, and 20 minutes at the flee market. It is totally worth the trip to go up into the tropical mountains to the tequilla factory! The tequilla is the best we've ever tasted!!! We purchased 3 bottles to take home with us. Even if you don't care for tequilla, you'll love this. We went to a great restaurant up in the mountains where 4 of us shared the seafood plate for 2. it was $50 and fed all 4 of us!! It was the best seafood we had on our vacation!
We didn't participate in any of the shows that were presented at the resort. We just weren't interested. Let's just say, that not everyone should try to sing kareoke!!! The shows run from 9:00 to 10:00. This is great, because you don't have loud annoying stuff going on while you' re trying to sleep! You can sleep with the sliding glass door open and not be desturbed. I am a very light sleeper, and didn't have any problems. I didn't wear earplugs either!

My husband and I have traveled to many places, especially in Mexico, and this is by far the nicest place we've ever stayed! This is a perfect place if you want to relax and have a good time. Just remember, just like any other vacation, you have to make your own fun! We highly reccomend this resort, and will be going back very soon!!!!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions:

keleher@mchsi.com

17 Thank jillyk
Reviewed 17 January 2006

The room was great. We got some fine examples of towel art from the maid service. Never experienced that before. We did leave her a daily gratuity. Yes the shower was tempramental. We've had that issue at better places in the USA. The food was great except for one thing. No real butter. The late night room service was quick and the food was also very good. We did tip some of the people, which was greatly appreciated. We will be back next January.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta? Share your experiences!