“Great place to stay, clean and had good service”

Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at Vallarta Palace for a week. This was our first all inclusive trip, and we had a great time. Overall we felt that this resort was nicer than most, as we met people staying at other resorts who had told us about their resort, and did not sound as nice. Overall the resort and rooms were very clean, and throughout the day we always saw staff cleaning. On a whole the only drawback is that the nightlife is very limited. We are not party animals by did want to have something going on where there was music and some dancing. If you wanted to go dancing you we had to head downtown.
Food options:
Overall the food options were very good. In other reviews I read people were not able to find something to eat, or that there were shortages of food. We did not find that to be the case. We were always able to find something to eat if we wanted, and drinks were easy go get whenever you wanted.
Hotel pool, GYM, beach
The pool area was always very clean. We were there during the off season, so there were always chairs available. We met a few other couples from other resorts, and heard that their resorts were very crowded, nearly overcrowded, where it was difficult to get a chair near the pool. That was not the case at Vallarta Palace. Also the service for drinks around the pool was ok. There were a few bars which were right there to, and getting drinks right away there, was not an issue at all.
The Gym was ok. If you are looking for a huge GYM with tons of machines, then you will be out of luck. They did have the basic’s and the equipment was in good shape. Also the GYM was very clean, having their own showers inside. Also the GYM is VERY cold, so when you start working out, you are not dying from heat stroke, from the warm weather outside.
The beach was very nice. My wife and I ran along the beach in the morning a few days, and there were beaches in front of other resorts, which were not as nice. We saw some beaches eroded away a bit, but the beach in front of the Vallarta Palace was nice. If you are a good swimmer, the surf is not overpowering. The water was however a bit murky, and a fair amount of kelp. Every so often you would also see a few pieces of garbage in the ocean, however for the most part, was very swimmable, and clean.
Taxi's:
This is a straight negotiation. The “legal or registered” taxi’s are required to carry a card, which shows you what they can legally charge you. If you speak little Spanish, asking to see the card first would make sure you get the going rate. We were able to get a taxi one night from downtown to the hotel, for about $12.00.
Hotel based excursions:
We had credit available and took a few excursions through the hotel. They were ok, but before going we also heard of Vallarta Adventures. These excursions were much better run, and felt we got more for what we paid for. This too is a short taxi ride from the hotel, or about a 20-25 minute brisk walk.
Hotel non water activities:
I am not exactly sure all the water activities that the hotel offers. I can say that I went sea kayaking a few times, and the gear, (kayak, oars, and lifejackets) were in good condition. I didn’t have to wait, as they require you to sign a form, and you are allowed a specific time frame that you can use it. We went during the off season, so I never had to wait to use the equipment. I am not sure that during the height of the season how that may be different.
Busses:
Both my wife and I have traveled to many places around the world, and we felt comfortable taking the bus from the hotel area to downtown Puerto Vallarta. It’s a good 45 minutes (depending on traffic). You do have to switch busses, but we asked and people pointed us in the right direction. We stayed downtown a few days pretty late so we never took a bus back to the hotel, so I can not honestly say how easy or difficult it would be.
Hotel Staff:
Any issues or questions you had the hotel staff was very helpful, and could give you specific information regarding transportation costs, and which busses we needed to get to downtown. They also would provide you with the estimate on taxi’s and were helpful in explaining where we needed to go to the taxi drivers.
Drawbacks:
Overall everything was very good. The only true drawback was that there was no real nightlife for young adults without kids. If you are looking for a party resort, where there are parties all night long, with dancing and party music, then this would not be the resort for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PH22779

Reviewed 20 August 2010

Stayed at the Valalrta Palace for 1 week . Food was good, breakfast finishes at 11:30 am and lunch starts at 1pm, which means theres a big gap where all there is to eat is from the poolside hamberger/hot dog grill which becam a bit repetative. Other than that the hotel is immaculate, the staff are wonderful-Luis at the Italian restaurant and Esmerelda, Sandra and Angelita from the poolside bar were fantastic. My partner NEVER asked for a drink, it was always there with a big smile.
Only one problem, on check out we paid and I again confirmed that all charges were paid and I was told yes. We were then 'signed out' of the hotel. However I found $286 US on my credit card charged by the hote lwhen I returned home and am now trying to get that refunded and an explanation. Other than that, was very enjoyable and if you are looking for an all inclusive resort with most things at your finger tips, this could be for you.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hercues801
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We were told about how wonderful Vallarta Palace was by our Travel agent at THE BIG DAY, when we arrived we were given what was called a resort view, however this rooms only view was a huge bush. we then switched to the third floor and low and behold we were right behind a beautiful palm tree, so once again we could see anything. Finally after having to come up with another 610 dollars on top of the 1800 we already spent we got a decent room on the eight floor. This was just the beginning of our nightmare. We had to call every afternoon and in the evening to request for our room to be cleaned and get turn down service. We were supposed to receive special chocolates for being on our honeymoon, and as well with this we had to call to remind them to bring them. Part of our honeymoon package was to receive breakfast in bed, Champagne and a mini cake, as well as a romantic dinner. We had to call to remind them to bring the mini cake and champagne. Lets just say the romantic dinner was one of the worst meals i have ever eaten, we didn't even make it through the entrees before leaving the restaurant. The starter soup was awful, it was some sort of seafood and red pepper chowder, then a pickled ginger sorbet that almost made me throw up. We were nervous about the entree when they brought out a shrimp rolled in really thinly sliced overcooked beef. it was almost like they smothered it in raw garlic it was worse than both of the previous courses combined. we left before dessert. WE then booked couples massages for friday at 10 am, and the agent booked my wife's at 8am and my at 10am, we show up at 10 am they wont honor hers because they said we were late, after 15 minutes of complaining and someone else not showing up to their appointment, they finally allowed us to get our massages, however because they had appointments at 11, we only received about 25 minutes of our 50 minute massage with was over 300 dollars. The breakfast they brought in bad was cold and seemed like they had picked it straight from the buffet line. The Food and Service was absolutely awful. The only food that was decent was no no mo hana, however don't let them choose for you, and only eat the sushi, the rest is not good. Oh i forgot at checkin everyone receives a complimentary glass of champagne or frozen drink we received neither and had to actually ask for it. My recommendations is to stay as far away from this hotel as humanly possible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earongatlin
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We had a great time at the Vallarta Pallace. We travelled with young and old and everyone enjoyed themselves. Overall the food, service and property were excellent.

Restaurants: Mixed reviews from our group. The Italian (filet mignon/salmon) had good food and great ambiance with an ocean view, but service was slow. The Japanese was not high quality sashimi or sushi, but the kids liked the desserts. Brazilian: fine. I liked that healthy choices were available at the buffets and meat/chicken/fish/vegetables were grilled while you wait.

Beach: Overall great. Warm and brown. Shallow with good waves, good for kids and boogie boarding. Generally sandy bottom, but had some prickly rocks/sticks. Beware of jellyfish and sting rays. Also, there's a lot of seaweed. We saw dolphins while kayaking.

Shows: Mediocre, at best. Circus and Mexican night were the best.

1,500 credit: Book your tours/golf/spa treatment/beauty salon early or they will fill up. We enjoyed everything we booked, especially the zip lining and dolphin encounter. Good value.

Room: Nice. They could change the sheets more often. Little sound-proofing from halls to room, but not a problem for us as the other guests were quiet. Mini-fridge was well stocked. There's no disco and this resort generally does not cater to the college crowd. There were many families, American and Mexican. The public restrooms and open space areas were clean.

Presentation: Expect it to be twice as long as advertised.

Hope you have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank StephanieOakland_CA
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I’m going to break it down for you and save you the other 500 reviews…do your research if you hate crowded resorts then avoid peak seasons, if you don’t like children running around then go to an adults only resort. I have read one ridiculous review after another about insignificant things that should not ruin your stay at beautiful places such as the Vallarta Palace. The good
1. The beach here is amazing the waters warm and calm. I saw dolphins and turtles etc..In Cancun the beaches have been damaged by hurricanes. Another recommendation would be for you to use a known company for tours, because there are locals that come around and try to lure you by offering you cheaper tours.
2. The Premises are a 4/5 star resort not a 6 diamond resort in Fiji…so you will dont complan on things that you shouldn’t since you are not a millionaire or else you would be booking a 20,000 private villa a week stay in Fiji.
3. The pictures are exactly how the place looks…honest! The problems lie on your attitude people complain about the drinks not being top self. Well it is all inclusive and you do have 4 bottles of alcohol in your room/ plus wine. You can drink 24/7 and even if you don’t like every drink you get… I suggest you definitely talk to the bartenders and surprising enough, if you don’t act like you are better than him, and maybe smile at the dude and I don’t know maybe tip him; he just might hook you up…they hooked me up! Over and over …understand to keep their job they are told want to do even what to say. They don’t have to do more than they have to but they do if they like you.
4. Entertainment during the day is fun and games, and you make the best of it…At night is live music and yes people complain about that too unbelievable all of the sudden everyone is an American Idol judge...we were pleased and entertained.

The bad:

5. The typical mandatory sales pitch to get a timeshare was annoying on the first day; we did feel uncomfortable because they can be pretty aggressive. But we were never bothered again after we declined. Also sometimes they have things closed depending on the season during our stay the diving pool and theater were closed…that was a disappointment. Also In some areas there was maintenance going on…again no big deal. Overall a great experience.

6. The food was great specially the Brazilian and Asian restaurants I loved their sushi …I only ate at the Italian place once and it was ok not bad when is all you can eat… the food by the pool was ok not the greatest, but I didn’t expect a kobe beef Cheeseburger …

7. The service was great the girls by the pool and the waiters are great...the guys from entertainment are super friendly!!
Let me end by saying…don’t believe that just because you are paying U.S. dollars this gives you the right to be condescending, arrogant, and ethnocentric!!! Be nice it won’t hurt you …

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank yzfr1_28
Reviewed 13 July 2010

If you’ve never stayed a true luxury or 5 star resort, then the Vallarta Palace will seem amazing to you. Even if you’re semi-jaded by previous luxury experiences (like me), you’ll still appreciate the VP for the excellent service and overall value. I would recommend it, at the right price. Generally, the service and the staff make up for the poor execution on some details. Here’s what I’d like to share with you folks…

NEUTRAL STUFF AND TIPS:

First, about Puerto/Nuevo travel in July - lots of folks say "ignore the weather forecast about July being rainy and overcast - it always clears up and is sunny during most of the day." At least in my experience, this is incorrect. I'm not sure we saw the sun for more than 8 hours combined during the whole 6 days in town. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it can feel VERY hot when the sun is bearing down on you. Also, you can still get some color despite the clouds - those warnings about 'you can still get burned if it's cloudy' are correct. Wear sunscreen. :) Even though we did kinda miss having sunny weather, keeping the temps down to a reasonable level was nice.

Arrange yourself transportation from the PV airport through an independent company (just google it and you’ll find some good companies), and not through travelocity/orbitz/whatever. This saves about $60 for you. Also, when you get finished picking up your bags, you’ll head through the sleazy sales room before you can meet with transportation. The folks in this room will actually pretend to work for your transport company, and then tell you your ride is late, “but let me tell you all about these excursions we have” – it only took a minute for me to recognize this was obviously BS, but in this room you just need to lower your shoulder and plow through.

The dolphin swim trip offered by the resort was pretty cool. My GF really enjoyed this part. Ladies – be sure to wear some really tight-fitting bikini bottoms or a 1 piece – it seems like maybe 1 out of 3 girls lose their bottoms when the dolphin pushes you out of the water (fast) for the photo op. Ironic point – the dolphin trainers give you a message at the end about ‘reducing waste to help the dolphins’ and they you go the gift shop where they’ve printed up hundreds of photos of all the guests, which will then all be thrown away for anyone who doesn’t want to pay $100 for their 5 photos. Funny and sad. It’s also pretty insulting to charge $20 for a single 5 cent photo…

Vallarta Palace is a family-friendly resort. If you have kids, that’s great. For me, your screaming kids annoy the bejesus out of me sometimes, and I think I’m sticking with adults-only or couples-only from now on 

They claim to have a dress code for dinner at the nicer places, but they will let you in looking like a bum. So, for better or worse, consider the dress up optional.

I understand it’s probably the only easy way to prove you’re a guest at all times, but having to wear a semi-uncomfortable wristband nonstop for your entire stay is annoying. I guarantee you will accidentally scratch your partner at least once with the edges on the wristband.

This almost falls under the category of “who cares” but A LOT of the English on the menus and literature for the VP is misspelled or badly written. This would be easy to correct.

POSITIVE THINGS TO SHARE

If you are booking with the $1500 resort promotion – upgrade your room to concierge. You won’t be able to spend all of your credits if you don’t. If they don’t have the $1500 promotion anymore and you have to pay for concierge out-of-pocket…eh, it’s not overly impressive. You get some nice perks (better room service, aromatherapy, etc), but only a few of the concierge rooms come with a real balcony, and it is pretty expensive to upgrade.

Use their spa. Nice ladies, efficient, friendly, and of course the massages were great.

My GF was charmed by the towel animals left by the maid. Nice touch.

The ability to have room service send you breakfast the next day by specifying the time and food items you want on the menu that you hang outside your room is really a nice perk.

Made to order, brick-oven pizzas on the pool/beach? Nice! Try the nachos, too!

Room service was always prompt and friendly. Use them. We never had a bad experience with them.

Food overall, despite my gripe about buffet-only for most meals, was good quality.

Try the boogieboarding and kayaking in the ocean. It’s fun to get knocked around by the waves and play in them.

I really enjoyed the excellent, beach front Mar Intimo for dinner. Lovely ambience. Also, the Sushi place was solid for an all-inclusive.

They keep you well stocked in BIG water bottles. Self-explanatory why this is important when you’re drinking alcohol in the heat all day.

Service on the whole was fast and friendly. The employees, even if they were busy, wanted to be sure you were taken care of. I appreciated this. Brush up on your espanol, it will prove helpful sometimes.

A COUPLE THINGS I’M REALLY UNIMPRESSED WITH:

The ‘free’ tours promoted on the company web site suddenly cost extra when you book under the $1500 credit. This seems quite dishonest to me, and I don’t easily forgive dishonesty. Sadly, you can’t use any of your $1500 credit to do really interesting stuff like fishing, ATV tours, etc.

The only food the restaurants do for breakfast and lunch is buffet-style. Dinner is the only meal with an actual menu.

The “sunset tour” cruise was on a really awful boat. The lack of quality for something associated with a luxury resort is surprising. The guys on the boat provide good service, lots of alcohol (this helps) and obviously put some effort into their jobs (this helps too), but when they warn you “you can’t flush toilet paper if you use the bathroom” and you are sitting on an uncomfortable, crowded bench with a bunch of folks, then it is obviously a very low-end experience. I’d skip this. Put the same staff on a nicer boat, and I’d recommend it. It’s not easy to board this boat as you walk past all the luxury yachts in the harbor, or to be on board as you pass the cool pirate boat in the bay doing a crazy show for all the people doing THAT tour.

Our first room was in semi-rough shape (we were able to get them to move us to a nicer room with a real balcony, though). Also, the tile around the tub is not sealed, and if you accidentally spill some red wine it, that stain will be there forever. Sorry to the resort for the red wine stains in our first room!

Some of the web sites for the Palace resorts do not provide useful info and do not work properly. For instance, you can book (and pay for) a Chichen-Itza tour through the Vallarta Palace…of course the Chichen-Itza is on the opposite side of the country in Cancun…

Bartons and other low-end liquors being sold as an ‘upgrade’ at a luxury resort w/the concierge upgrade is disappointing. I’ve spent a few years bartending when I was younger, and Bartons is just about the cheapest stuff you can possibly buy.
….

That’s it, I hope this review helps you enjoy PV just a little bit more!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RealityIntrudes
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Location -
Just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Palace. About 15 mins from Puerto Vallarta and airport near a Marina and some tourist attractions - water parks, adventure parks etc.. A small mall nearby for trinkets, coffee etc. Fabulous beach - you can walk for miles safely. Ocean good for wading and boogie boarding, but not really swimming - but it was fun. Plenty of sea life - rays, dolphins, jelly fish.
Airport -
Upon arrival at airport make sure you go straight by the people selling you trips and time shares etc., they are persistant, and nothing to do with your pick up - keep going out the doors into the terminal building and your pick up will be outside waiting.
Had a warm welcome form pick up, but will ask you make a meeting to discuss trips the next day - we didn't bother as the hotel offered so much.
Check in-
Had a nice surprise on checking in - a $1500 credit to spend on trips. spa etc., we upgraded our room to ocean view and 3 of us had great trips and massages etc., My daughter got to swim with the dolphins, ride horses and snorkel.
Trips -
We took the snorkeling trip with the Kon Tiki 1 - great crew, good snorkeling. After the swim they let you split into 2 groups - 1 to stay at a beach and relax, the other to go to an area with horse riding $, and a walk to a wonderful waterfall where you can swim. The beach was a little boring, but the ride was good although everyone was upset at the condition of the horses and how they were treated. Boat ride home dancing and fun.
Dolphins -
My 13 year old had a blast with dolphins. They were in the water for a hour with them, and the animals seemed well taken care of. $20 a photo was a bit steep though.
Canal trip -
Very interesting - saw homes and yaughts of stars, and crocodiles, iguana's birds fish etc. - very good.
Sunset cruise -
It rained that evening so we didn't go.
Massages - great.
We were going to get a taxi into PV, but got lazy - would liked to have gone though.
Rooms -
Comfortable, clean, small balconies, but big rooms with a hot tub int he middle which took up a lot of room. Bathroom small, and as usual, nowhere to put your toilettries etc. Beds comfortable, and shampoos etc., were very nice. Coffee bad. Plenty of drinks in room and they bring wine too if you ask - we hardly drank in the room as there are so many options outside.
Pools great, with activities all day - soccer, volleyball, bingo... Bar food o.k., but it sits out a long time - fresh baked pizza a better option.
Beach - safe, clean, volleyball kayaks etc.
Security - always around.
Gym - good to work off some calories
Small collection of books and games for quiet times. Pool table, table tennis etc.
A "show' every evening - only worth a look are the Circus, and Mexican night - otherwise I've seen better at a high school production. The staff do try hard to entertain though. Alan is a great guy. They need to include more dancing for the guests, as when the shows finish - by 10, a small "crappy" band starts up and everyone leaves.
The staff - they made this place really special - friendly, caring, took time to chat, seemed really interested in getting to know you - wonderful Our waitress in the bar - Angelica is a treasure, and Antonio in the Italian were the "stand outs', but they were all wonderful.
Restaurants
- Mexican - not good.
Brazilian - worth a try.
Italian - great.
Oriental - great. - Deep fried bananas.....
Room service - fab. Had many breakfasts in bed, but the buffet was also very good in the Italian.
Didn't go in kids club, but looked small and dark?
Could do with more activities for the teen and tween set - movie night or dance?
In room movies and video games not included in price??????
Weather in July quite wet.
I'm sure I'm missing things out, but would recommend this place highly. Next time we want to try the Palace in Cancun.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ElaineT1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#19 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta? Share your experiences!