“Best All-Inclusive Ever Visited”

Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 April 2011

This resort redefined the all-inclusive vacation for us. Instead of unhealthy, sub-par buffet food, you get beautiful North American hotel quality buffets and a la carte restaurants - incuding lots of healthy options. The food quality was amazing as were the drinks and the service was top-notch. We did tip as the staff worked long hours and were very gracious and accommodating. The rooms were huge with full kitchens and gorgeous balconies. The washer and dryer were very helpful with two young children. The beach is a short shuttle ride away which was no problem and once there you get to enjoy a VIP beach area with cabanas, loungers and food/beverage service. Our waiter at the beach, Francisco was wonderful. You also have access to everything at the sister hotel, Marival Resorts which was nice but we did not ever eat there as the food at the Residences was so much more superior. Our kids, 6 & 9 loved the kids club and Judith the kids club leader. Lots of free excursions too but we only took advantage of the dolphin encounter due to the age of our children but it was great fun. Used the gym frequently which was modern and clean. This is a quiet resort so we would highly recommend if you are looking for total R&R and pampering. Only negative would be no free Wi-fi or business centre.

2  Thank Travelcaps
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

Dear Traveler, just a short note to thank you for you wonderful review, please visit us again.

Reviewed 6 April 2011

great room,huge.very nice.food was way above the usual all in clusive.very friendly staff.loved the beach club..only complaint is that i had to call everyday to have my frig restocked.tours were great.the zip line guys were so comical. great tours .the only two drawbacks were that the sunset cruise was all booked up,and we had to call everyday to have our frig restocked..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beenthere1320

Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your review, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2011

Just returned from 6 days at the Marival Residences and World Spa, and in a word, it was fabulous. From the minute we arrived the staff was courteous, attentive and welcoming. The rooms are incredible- huge, clean, well stocked. The food was very good at both the restaurants and poolside buffet. The grounds are very well maintained with beautiful pools and landscaping. The Beach Club was amazing- comfortable chairs, attentive service, lovely music. The resort is quiet and serene, but if you are looking for more action, it is a short ride to the Marival for the disco, beach volleyball and activities. We were a group of 5 familes, teens and up, 21 people total and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We definitely will be back!!!

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear Traveler: We appreciate your review, and hope to see you all back soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2011

There were 3 of us and one which was a child. The cons outweighed the pros for us, which is why I went down a star from 4 and wouldn't go back. We had a very nice trip and the resort is very nice. It is very small and compact, as you can tell from my pictures attached. We were in the middle building with a lovely ocean view and on the 5th floor. Had a 1 bedroom suite. The pictures show 3 angles of the main area and that is all there is to the resort. I will comment on the pros vs. the cons in our opinion. Depending on what you want out of a trip, or what you are used to with an all-inclusive, this one is quite different from the normal, which we found had positives and also negatives. I believe this resort is focused more on ownership(which is very expensive in US dollars and something I wouldn't do for only getting your suite for 4 months of the year) or timeshare or letting people into the resort to eat at restaurants and pay for their meal, although not staying there.
Pros:
1. Quiet and low key. Even with a child, I enjoy relaxation and not kids everywhere. Appreciate a resort that doesn't have the loud blaring music around the pool, water activities, people everywhere and party atmosphere. So this resort provides that nice atmosphere of quiet and calm. The pool is quite small and no deep area, which is good for kids and no big pool games. It is very small though.
2. Rooms were very quiet and didn't hear people next door, below or above. Appointed well.
3. Food is good. The quality was above the normal.
4. Always towels for the pool available. There are no cards or worries about loosing your towel to be charged for it, you just help yourself and they replensih all day long on every chair.
5. Nice all-inclusive bracelets that you could take off if need be and were not plastic to rub your skin. Really good for kids as my daughter hates those plastic ones and they sharp edges can really cut or irritate, so that was a nice touch to have a 'mexican style' braided one.
6. Our all-inclusive package included some activity trips and the only option with a 5 year old was the dolphins, so we did that and was great. Essentially we already paid for it in our package price, but nice you feel you are getting it for free and just book it and not have to pay for anything other then your cab there and back for these excursions.
Cons:
1. No beach on site. I enjoy a resort where you can just walk down to the sand and beach and enjoy that if you choose, or spend time at the pool. To see the water and sand and be near it is more appealing to me when getting away to Mexico from the prairies of Alberta, then just being in a resort, with no access on site. Riding the golf cart down to the sister resort just to do the beach wasn't a huge deal, but inconvenient and if you forget something, it's not just a walk back to your room, its a bunch of wasted time. The service they say they provide for our vip area on the beach was bad. Next to no servers and we never got a drink ordered till couple hours after we arrived and were packing up to go back to our resort.
2. The 1 bedroom suite has no blackout curtains in main area, although they have a pull out bed, which we used. So when the sun is out by 7am, you are awake with a full bright room. Makes no sense to us why you have a sleep area, with no way to keep the light out. The pull out bed is VERY soft and springy. The bed in the bedroom was hard as a rock - doesn't move when you sit down on it getting in.
3. Service was very inconsistent and was very disappointing. People constantly tipping got service, but they didn't even give us a chance at times. Just trying to get drinks at the pool some days was ridiculous, so I would go over to the bar by the pool and order a drink, then either someone would take my order and ask my room number(which you are asked for all the time for EVERYTHING, even getting out of a cab coming back to the resort?) and either say we'll come bring it to you, or other times I stood there waiting for it. So make up your mind how you are running this area and either serve or not. I even went into the lobby bar on other side of pool bar and ordered my own drinks and there was one bartender guy in there that didn't seem to like to be too busy with server's orders and my couple drinks added in and so he seemed annoyed and I'm like I don't really care. And we tipped a lot, which frankly got annoying - burned through the cash for these people, and more then half the time they didn't deserve it. I will not make that mistake again. Watch our for Ivan around the pool - he's a two-faced guy who is full of himself and treated people like he's god and will serve you if he feels like it. He was full of crap. As well, hit and miss with the cart that comes around with magazines and sunscreen - couple days saw a guy once and then not again. Either do it every day and be there or just don't offer the service then.
4. Biggest issue for us was the constant waiting for your food. There is no buffet and no way to grab a snack. With a child that is very tiring and annoying. You have to order everything and wait. One day we waited over 2 hours for my daugher to get her grilled cheese sandwich!! Yep, just a grilled cheease I could whip up at home in 5 mins! I would say it's supper when we went for our last meal of day and that its getting late for my daughter to get to bed, so we want to order right away and we can't sit here for 2 hours. Sometimes it worked and other times not. I enjoy a good quality buffet with options to eat at good a la cartes - so this was not what I expected.
5. The breakfast menus are the same at both places you can eat and are the same EVERY DAY. Same with lunch - same options. The only change in food will be at supper time at the pool area - so be prepared to look and see what items to eat again or try new, as it's limited. You can go to the sister resort, but avoid wasting your time at that buffet - it was like a cafeteria and nuts like cattle jam packed into a small area - terrible. Food was gross!! Worst I have ever seen - atmosphere, food qaulity, everything. The 2 a la cartes we did do at sister resort were just ok. Mexican was nice, but service was slow and took too long, that we ordered dessert and ended up leaving as it was getting late for my daughter and the waitress didn't even come around. All the waiting, got very tiring.
6. Since all menus have prices in pesos and it's hard to tell how this is all set up, we didn't think the 10% gratuity applied to all-inclusive guest for room service. We thought it was part of the european plan, etc. So when we checked out, we got stung with a bill and plus we had tipped the guys that brought the food to our room and again when we had them come back and take away the dishes! Crazy what we ended up paying to eat breakfast in our room 2 times. Very disappointing and not clear in our opinion. I was not very happy.
7. For a 5* resort and all focused on service(which as I said already is very hit and miss) they should just offer free internet. What a pain to ride that golf cart to the sister resort to use the business center and crappy computers with limited hours. As I didn't want to pay for a full day of internet, so the laptop stayed locked away. We stayed at the Barcelo in Los Cabos last Fall and their rooms are 'smart' and you have the internet right on the tv to access in your room whenever you need to and not have to haul a laptop along. That is the way to provide service to your guests.
8. The bathrooms. No hooks or towel bars, so funny they have the sign saying to reuse your towel, but I ask where do 3 of us put our towels to know whose towel is whose? Not enough room on the glass partition for the shower to just hang over to have them dry. Stupid really. And there is no counter space with only 1 sink and so all our 'stuff' was out on the ledge in the main room. And we used the kitchen area to be able to get ready at same time. No bathtubs either - just a shower. Which is fine for me, but I have had lovely rooms with a jetted tub and shower, with dual sinks and plenty of counter space and shelves below at a 5* resort, so this was lacking for a bathroom - very small.
Other points to note:
The best service we did have was at the tapas restuarant on the rooftop. Best service by far and they were very prompt. All the rest should be trained up there before going elsewhere and see how these guys did it. The food was great as well. The guys at the front of resort (bell boys or whatever they are called) were also very nice and quick to get you into the golf cart and transfer you, or get a cab and help you out. Treated my daugher very nice. The concierge was good to deal with as well and got business done. They are very busy at those 2 desks attending to all the guests needs. There is no beer in your room, but you can call concierge and order what you want brought to your room. If you are concerned about your pillow, you can get a different pillow - we didn't bother with it, but they do offer you a switch if need be. The rooms are nice and cleaned well - at least they change out towels and beds daily, but never one time left enough hand or face towels - so I called a lot for more. The cleaning is more superficial, as I dropped something under the sink vanity and was very dusty, so would hate to drop something under the bed - yuck. As well you could see the dust on the upper side of the glass hood fan in kitchen area. There are showers in the bathroom by the pool, which I had never seen before, so you can spend some time on your last day at the pool and then get cleaned up as you'll be out of your room early. They of course didn't have a hospitality suite available - which I am sure is the case always. The downside to these showers is that the water is cold....my daughter and I both had to endure freezing cold showers when getting cleaned up. Oh well. We will definately go elsewhere and get more out of a 5* resort then this. I am a bit surprised they are ranked #1 on trip advisor for this area or whatever their status is, but it really depends I guess on what kind of vacation your want and what you want out of an all-inclusive.

6  Thank MissingTheOcean

Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your very detailed review, we will take note of all the opportunity areas you mention and hope you can see our improvements next time you visit us,

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Outstanding experience at this resort. Very courteous staff that responded to every need.
Check out sunset at the Insu lounge.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your review, we hope you visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

High end all inclusive boutique style resort with exceptional service. My one bedroom was amazing with two beautiful modern bathrooms, kingsize bed, washer/dryer, kitchen/living room and large balcony over looking pool and partial ocean view. Room service, pool side service, three restaurants with healthy fine dining. The spa service with daily specials was well priced and upscale. The gym was modern and well equipped. The Japanese restaurant attached to spa but not included in the all inclusive price was comparable to Zen Sushi or Nobu. The tuna tostada's and wasabi ice cream alone are worthing flying back for! The Sky Bar at the top of the hotel was perfect for watching the magnificent sunsets and the DJ on weekends played absolutely any song we requested.
The pool, Jacuzzi and VIP beach club were all fabulous. We were on a mother and daughter trip and the staff all looked out for the 11 teenage girls we were with making us all feel safe and well cared for. An easy cab ride into Bucerias for fabulous shopping or free bikes for your use from the sister hotel to get you around the local area. Included in the cost were any restaurants and amenities at the original Mirival Hotel. What I liked least was leaving! What I liked best was ordering Mango Smoothies and Cappuccinos pool side from the incredibly friendly staff. I love this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear Traveler: Big thank you for your review, we enjoy learning our guests have a great time. Please visit us again.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

I traveled to this resort with my wife and 2 boys (ages 5 and 1) and we loved the experience! We stayed at their other property (Marival Resort) in 2007 and were very happy and decided to try this newer resort. We were a little leery when we found out that it isn't right on the beach, but we were happy to find out that we would have full access to the other resort with our own VIP beach club area. The Marival Residences are gorgeous and spotless. The rooms are very spacious with 1-4 bedroom suites. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, which included 2 bathrooms, a soaker tub in the ensuite, a full kitchen, in room laundry, dining room table, 3 flat screen tvs, and a big and beautiful patio with outdoor furniture. The rooms are tastefully decorated and feel luxurious. They offer room service with the all-inclusive package and there is even turn down service with a nice white mat with slippers set by the bed and a nicely wrapped cookie on each pillow. The staff at this resort are AMAZING! They are fantastic with kids and bend over backwards to ensure you are satisfied at all times. They bring you drinks and food to your super comfy chaise lounge at the pool side and provide superb service at each of the restaurants. The food is primarily a la carte and it is unparalleled at any resort I have been to. The food is not only tasty, but the presentation is amazing and no detail is overlooked, be it the malt vinegar and tartar sauce with fish and chips for lunch, or the candied pecans and coconut with your pancakes or waffles. There are many options for where to eat and also theme nights with truly gourmet food. The ISNU rooftop restaurant offers wonderful ocean views past the infinity pool. The other resort is only a couple of minutes away by shuttle which is readily available 24/7. We walked over quite a bit and it was also a nice walk. The VIP area on the beach has better lounge chairs and a separate food menu. Even the drinks are served in nicer glasses. At this resort, you can take advantage of any of the restaurants, activities (boogy boarding; bicycles; water polo; kayaks etc.) and the kids area. We thought we would spend more time there, but the food at our resort always brought us back there for our meals. The beach is grea though - sandy and shallow with nice sized waves. Our 5 year old went to the kids club fairly often and loved it. you could drop him off and pick him up whenever he wanted throughout the day and he made crafts and did lots of fun things. Oh, and excursions are even included in the all-inclusive package. We went snorkelling and had a dolphin encounter, but you can also go on zip-lines, a sunset cruise or have a sea lion encounter. The bottom line is that this is a great resort that is well run, clean and has everything you need for a great vacation in the sun!

3  Thank Hubbardo
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Dear Traveler: Thank you for your review, we certainly appreciate all of your comments and sincerely hope to be of service in the future once again.