“Truly Beautiful”

GreenLeadersGold level
Frisco, Texas
“Truly Beautiful”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

My husband & I truly enjoyed this resort. They say first impression is a lasting impression and the bellhop Gustavo made a great first impression and everything just got better from there. Every staff member that we came in contact with were so friendly. A lot of times when you stay at a hotel/resort you really don't see management unless there is a problem. Marival's relationship manager Reggie was wonderful. He was very visible and friendly. My husband & I was joking with each other saying "he never leaves." The reason for our trip was to get married. Although our wedding was actually at the sister property Marival Resort on the beach, Reggie still took pictures and emailed them to me and he even put our picture in the Marival Residences newspaper. Our room was to die for. Even though we didn't take advantage of all of it (the balcony, the full kitchen and the dining room) I loved the fact that there were 2 bathrooms. And my husband loved the fact that it was a 12 pack of Corona in the refrigerator every day. The food was delicious and we loved the fact that you had several places to eat at. And if you didn't feel like moving you could just lay by the pool or in a cabana around the jacuzzi and a waiter would come by and take your food order & drink order. The rooms were quiet and the pool area was quiet and relaxing. And if you wanted a little more excitement you could always go to the sister property and enjoy the pools & the beach there. The excursions were fun... Just remember to make your reservations for the excursions you want to do your first day there. All in all I would truly give Marival Residences & World Spa 5 stars and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Dear Traveler: Thank you for your wonderful review, congratulations on your wedding, please visit us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
san francisco
Reviewed 16 April 2011

My family, (2 adults and 2 children), just returned from a 1 week stay at the Marival Residences. Let me start by saying that overall, we had a great time. Very nice property, great service, good food. So why 4 stars and not 5? I thought long and hard about the rating. In the end, I feel, based on our experience, I feel this is a fair rating. I will explain below.

I want to say that I agree with many of the positive comments made by other reviewers. I especially want to point the friendliness of the staff. But instead of reiterating what others have said, I will concentrate on a two areas that did need some improvement.

Internet: This is not included in the “All-Inclusive” plan. Marival charges 180 pesos (about $15) a day for Wi-Fi access. My personal feeling is that if a hotel is going to charge guests for internet, then the internet should WORK, period. The wifi at my room was unreliable. Generally late night and early morning it works fine, if somewhat slow. But afternoon and evening, the connection slows down to a crawl. It sometimes takes me half hour to log on to my work site. (Not kidding, sometimes more than half hour.) I believe this is due to not enough bandwidth to support the number of guests using wifi. I called the front desk about it, and was told to try another location on the property to see if signal is better.

House Keeping: frequently forgets to replenish soap/shampoo, twice we had to call for them. After changing sheets, old sheets were left in the room for two days. Turn down service hit and miss: some days didn’t show up at all, some days show up after we have gone to bed ( we go to bed after 10PM), on days that it was done, only one of two beds was turned down. (Now, we are quite capable of turning down our own beds. It did not diminish our enjoyment of the trip just because our beds were not turn down. I feel Marival should drop this service all together. The half-hearted attempts just make Marival look bad.) Didn’t wipe dried water stains on the stairs (explanation below). There was an empty soda can in our dipping pool one day, it was not from us, I fished it out and threw it away.

Other thoughts: Other reviewers have stated how the waiters bend over backwards to take care of guests. During our one week stay, we requested something not on the menu twice, on the first day and on the last day. Both times we were turned down. On the first day my son wanted a hotdog, and on the last day he wanted a cheeseburger. These two items are served every day except Sundays. There were plenty of other choices available. My son certainly did not go hungry. However, I like to point out that it was just a hotdog and a cheeseburger, we did not ask for lobsters or foie gras.

When we booked the trip, we were told room service is included. After we arrive, we were told there is a 10% surcharge for room service. When I tried first time to order something, I noticed the room service menus says there is a 20% surcharge. Rather than having a potential dispute on check out date about the charges, we just gave up and went downstairs for food.

Marival residences guests were supposed to be able dine at any of the restaurants at the sister property, “No Reservation Required.” In reality however, we were turned away when we showed up because they were full. When we tried to make reservations we found very few availabilities, usually very early or very late. And some restaurants were closed the whole time we were there. So the end result was that the whole time we were there, we didn’t get a chance to try any restaurants at the sister property. I didn’t mind though, the food at Residences was very good. I had no complaints.

For those of you thinking about paying extra for the Penthouse suite, my advice is: don’t bother. Here what you don’t get for your extra money: you don’t get better food, you don’t get better service, you don’t get a better view, you don’t get a bigger room, you don’t even get an extra 45 minutes check out time when you ask. What you do get is this: above your room is a small terrace and a small dipping pool, kind of like a hot-tub without water jets. We used our dipping pool exactly one time during out stay. Why? You can’t get any drinks, at least not easily. Even if you order room service, you would have to get out of the pool, dripping water everywhere as walk down stairs (water stains that housekeeping did not clean), call for the drinks, then wait for room service to show up as you drip water on the floor. Then you have to deal with either 10 or 20% surcharge. Can you see how it would a lot less hassle just go downstairs and use the public pool?

The included tours are fun, but remember you have to pay round trip taxi fare for the tours. But it is not expensive at all. It is better to have exact change for the taxi drivers, because on several occasions the cab drivers short-changed me. Make sure you have bug repellents for the zip line tour, we forgot and now have a bunch of bites to show for it. The city tour is quite boring, and definitely not worth spending an entire day, lunch not included. You are way better off getting a cab and tour the town on your own.

I know what I have written so far sounds like I am nit-picking. I want to stress again that, overall, we really enjoyed our trip and would want to go back. I want to say that my rating is based solely on our own experience during the week we were there. The superlative ratings from previous guests may have caused me to have unrealistic expectations. But given our experience, I feel my rating is fair. And I hope our comments will help future visitors to Marival.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank ianlin
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Dear Traveler: Thank you very much for your review, all of your comments will be carefully considered, we will be happy to have you back and trust your experience will be even more enjoyable.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The Marival Residences is a fantastic hotel. So good in fact that this our 2nd visit in 6 months. We just love this property, staff, food & drinks. During this visit I enjoyed the Turkish Signature spa at the Melange spa. And it was very relaxing, serene & enjoyable. Thanks to Jose for the endless round of drinks by the pool!
The staff at Insu was very accomodating for our regular nightly visit's, Thank you!
Mike & Nikki

Room Tip: choose a ground floor room, great pool
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your comments, how about that 2 times in six months, please come back soon, don't let memories grow old!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 April 2011

No enough space to stay thanks to all those that made our stay enjoyable. First, to Alejandra, for getting my computer to the airport before my plane departed. Thanks. Second, to Gabby and Carlos for all your ideas, suggestions and reservations. The golf was fantastic. A hint for you, tell other visitors to take Alberto as their caddie at The Vistas. Utilized his services 3X and finished each round in 3 hours or less. He made it fun. The evening sail was delightful. Third, to Fernando, Antonio and Angel for a each great evening at Insu. Could not have survived without the laughter and dancing. No gringo music por favor. Fourth, to Wencs at the pool and Juanita at the beach. You made our afternoons, wonderful. We enjoyed the spa treatments.

to the Jefe! you have a great staff. Don't forget to tell them. They deserve muchas muchas muy gracias....

Ron and Julie Berg

Room Tip: Talk to Dee Nolting at Shakopee Travel, ShakopeeMN
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hronberg
Dear Traveler: Thank you for your wonderful review, visit us again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2011

This resort redefined the all-inclusive vacation for us. Instead of unhealthy, sub-par buffet food, you get beautiful North American hotel quality buffets and a la carte restaurants - incuding lots of healthy options. The food quality was amazing as were the drinks and the service was top-notch. We did tip as the staff worked long hours and were very gracious and accommodating. The rooms were huge with full kitchens and gorgeous balconies. The washer and dryer were very helpful with two young children. The beach is a short shuttle ride away which was no problem and once there you get to enjoy a VIP beach area with cabanas, loungers and food/beverage service. Our waiter at the beach, Francisco was wonderful. You also have access to everything at the sister hotel, Marival Resorts which was nice but we did not ever eat there as the food at the Residences was so much more superior. Our kids, 6 & 9 loved the kids club and Judith the kids club leader. Lots of free excursions too but we only took advantage of the dolphin encounter due to the age of our children but it was great fun. Used the gym frequently which was modern and clean. This is a quiet resort so we would highly recommend if you are looking for total R&R and pampering. Only negative would be no free Wi-fi or business centre.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelcaps
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Dear Traveler, just a short note to thank you for you wonderful review, please visit us again.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 6 April 2011

great room,huge.very nice.food was way above the usual all in clusive.very friendly staff.loved the beach club..only complaint is that i had to call everyday to have my frig restocked.tours were great.the zip line guys were so comical. great tours .the only two drawbacks were that the sunset cruise was all booked up,and we had to call everyday to have our frig restocked..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beenthere1320
Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your review, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Just returned from 6 days at the Marival Residences and World Spa, and in a word, it was fabulous. From the minute we arrived the staff was courteous, attentive and welcoming. The rooms are incredible- huge, clean, well stocked. The food was very good at both the restaurants and poolside buffet. The grounds are very well maintained with beautiful pools and landscaping. The Beach Club was amazing- comfortable chairs, attentive service, lovely music. The resort is quiet and serene, but if you are looking for more action, it is a short ride to the Marival for the disco, beach volleyball and activities. We were a group of 5 familes, teens and up, 21 people total and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We definitely will be back!!!

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Traveler: We appreciate your review, and hope to see you all back soon!