“Fantastic! Perfect get-away!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic! Perfect get-away!”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I went down to Marival for a quick three-night stay with a friend, and we couldn't have had a better time. The resort was empty (end of their off season) so we had the place to ourselves. The package we had put us up in the Penthouse room - gorgeous! Though we spent so little time in the room that we probably would have been quite happy with more modest accommodations.

Staff was super friendly and attentive, and not at all overbearing. We spent the majority of one day on a Vallarta Adventures snorkeling trip to Marietas, and the majority of another day on the all-inclusive zip lining tour. Since we weren't parked at the pool or beach non-stop for three days we didn't get to know the servers so I can't compliment a few as in many other reviews, but I can say everyone we came in contact with made our trip fantastic. Carlos the concierge did find us every day to check in and make sure we were having a great time. He and Maggie (the other concierge who helped us) were both wonderful.

The excursions we did were really fun if you're looking to do more than sit by the pool. Though don't be freaked out when you get dropped off at a gas station for the zip line trip. It seems sort of sketchy, but turned out to be a blast once we got in the truck and on the road. Take dramamine for the drive though!! The tour guides on both excursions were super friendly, and really worked it pretty hard to keep you entertained. You can tell they live off tips, and we were HAPPY to tip them well at the end of the day because we had such a great time.

We went to the spa for massages since it was also included in our package. Again, easy booking since it was pretty quiet. I mis-booked a 90 minute massage and only had time for a 60, and they changed it without any argument. Unfortunately the fire alarm went off a few times during my massage, but my therapist handled it professionally and everyone apologized profusely. And gave me 25% off. The spa facility is *beautiful*. We were short on time or else I could have easily spent a half day there in their sauna, hot tubs, lounges, etc. Fantastic waterfall showers in the bathroom! The massage wasn't the best I've ever had, but definitely very good.

Some of the other reviews on tripadvisor complain about having to take the golf cart to the beach. It didn't bother us at all. Sure, it would be great to stumble out of your room to the beach, but the shuttle takes literally 3 minutes and was always waiting when we wanted to go. The VIP beach is beautiful - lots of chairs and cabanas and the water is lovely. I guess if you are making multiple trips a day it would get old, but we didn't mind.

Overall I thought the food was good. Caveat - I'm a HUGE food snob, so I am probably overly picky. My friend loved everything she ate. We had a great time at the rooftop bar sampling all the tapas and watching the sun set! We went to the italian restaurant at the other property with a couple we went zip lining with and I didn't think it was great, but does anyone really go to Mexico to get a fantastic italian meal? I didn't. Everyone else really enjoyed their dinner, so again, I'm probably overly picky.

The only, and I mean ONLY thing I was less than delighted with was the shower head in our bathroom. It's mounted really high, so the water dissipates a lot to begin with, plus not a ton of water volume or pressure. I ended up washing my hair in our kitchen sink every day because it took forever to rinse the shampoo out in the shower. Certainly not the end of the world.

Oh Marival, I will be back soon.......

Room Tip: Travel tip - we booked the airport shuttle before our trip and were happy to have done so. The airpo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
MarivalResorts, Marketing and Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Traveler: Thank you so much for your detailed review, we are so happy you enjoyed you stay with us and we hope you visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We were warmly greeted upon arrival at Marival Residences by Reggie where we were immediately offered a refreshing wet towel and Coronas as we checked in. Best check-in experience ever! Moises (Moi) took us to our room which was an amazing 1-bedroom penthouse suite.

Room: The 1-bedroom suite was huge with full kitchen, refrigerator stocked with an assortment of beverages, 2 full bathrooms, large bedroom, washer/dryer, huge balcony, and another balcony upstairs with the wonderful plunge pool. We had wonderful views of the bay and mountains from the balcony. As other reviewers have pointed out, the bed was quite hard so we requested a mattress topper and that made it much more comfortable. Housekeeping service was wonderful and our room was immaculately cleaned each day.

Beach: We arrived early enough to have time to go to the beach that afternoon. I was initially concerned with Marival Residences not being directly on the beach – but the 5-minute shuttle ride over to the Resorts and nice VIP beach area made up for it. Service was great at the VIP beach area and there were plenty of chairs available. Shuttles are very frequent, so no long wait to go back and forth.

Excursions: We took advantage of 2 excursions during our stay – the Dolphin encounter and canopy zip-line tour. The Dolphin encounter was OK – it did not include actually swimming with the dolphins but an upgrade was available at an extra cost (I would definitely spend the extra money next time). The zip line tour was just amazing and so much fun! After being dropped off at a nearby Oxxo convenience store, the zip line company guys picked us up for the long bumpy ride up the mountain to the zip line area. The ride up the mountain was an excursion itself with beautiful scenery. There were about 14 zip lines and we had such a blast! This was the first time I have done zip lines and our tour guides were so much fun. I highly recommend this excursion.

Pool: the pool was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs available. Ricardo definitely took care of us at the pool! Our glasses were never empty. At no time did we feel obligated to tip – we did tip the pool and restaurant servers most of the time because we genuinely appreciated their efforts to attend to everyone – and service was wonderful either way. This resort is pretty low-key – definitely not a huge party scene with loud music and people all over the place. This was exactly the relaxing atmosphere that my husband and I were looking for!

Food: food was very good and I enjoyed being able to order off a menu. I loved the freshly pressed corn tortilla tacos for breakfast and dinner. The rooftop restaurant and bar offered small plates-style food, everything we tried was wonderful. All the restaurants offered a nice variety of food. We went next door to Nicsan for Japanese (on Reggie’s recommendation) and it was outstanding and reasonably priced for the quality of food.

Spa: I had a spa certificate so used that for a manicure and eye service, which were wonderful. I didn’t have any additional services but looked at the spa brochure. The prices seemed pretty reasonable for the quality of the spa and I will definitely spend more time here next time!

Miscellaneous: there is an ATM at the resort that gives only dollars. The front desk can exchange for pesos but they will request your passport to make the exchange. Although the exchange rate is not the best, there is no fee.

Overall: This resort exceeded my expectations for an all-inclusive, the perfect place to unwind and relax and be pampered! The atmosphere and accommodations were top-notch. Although I like to practice my Spanish when in Mexico, most hotel staff speak excellent English so communication was no problem at all. I cannot overstate how incredibly warm and genuine the hospitality was - we were always greeted by name and with a smile throughout the resort. A special thanks goes to Reggie, Moi, and Ricardo for their impeccable service. The Marival Residences staff sets the standard for professional service and hospitality. We will be back!

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms have a great view of the water and mountains
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 826TexasTravelGirl
Dear Traveler: We appreciate your review very much, it is always nice to see our guest enjoy their vacation experience at our resort. Please do visit us again soon!
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We just returned from a family vacation and stayed at the Marival Residences and Spa Resort. We had a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) First, let me start by saying the resort is BEAUTIFUL. You feel that you are at a Luxury 5 Star Resort and they treat you that way as well. We decided to travel here because of it's ranking on Trip Advisor and that we needed a 2 bedroom for 6 of us and the rooms were over 2300 Sq Ft. We didn't feel crammed, and even though the resort doesn't sit right on the beach, if you request a room on the 4th or higher floor, you will have an ocean view. 2 negatives in regards to the room, were that the beds are very FIRM and there is NO blackout shade in the living room area where the pull out couch is. So, with the kids on the couch, they were getting up when the sun was up. We should've asked for a foam topper for our bed, we asked for one on the kids bed and they had one for them. In regards to the resort, I wish we would've utilized the facilities at the sister resort (Marival Suites) more, simply because we were not made aware of them until the end. If we had been told about what was available to us by the check in staff, that would have helped. There are 3 places you can get food, but really only one true "restaurant". HOWEVER, you do have access to the restaurants at their sister resort for variety. The food was good, but I wouldn't say it's the best I've had at an all-inclusive. The Italian Restaurant at the other resort was one of our best meals, but, make a reservation. They did not like the fact that we just showed up there one night without a reservation, even though there was plenty of seating (they went ahead and sat us, anyways...)
We had 2 kids traveling with us ages 9 and 6. They loved it, but this resort doesn't have slides in the pool or anything for them in that regard...again, that was all at the sister resort. I feel that this resort caters more to the adults and having a very peaceful, relaxing experience...which we did! And although kids are welcome here and there is a kid's club, there were only 2 or 3 other kids there the whole week. We took the kids to the Dolphin Encouter one day and the Sea Lion Encounter another day. This was all included (you just have to pay for the taxi ride there, which was less than $7 each way).
We would go back in a heart beat, and next time would take advantage of ALL that is available to us at the other resort as well. I would have given it 4.5 stars if it was there, but I do feel even with the negative things I wrote, it was above a 4 star ranking. Hope this review helps someone!

Room Tip: Most rooms 4th floor and higher have an ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank flowers0521
Dear Traveler: Just a short note to thank you so much for your wonderful review, we can wait for you to come back, it will be a pleasure to serve you again!
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Just returned from our trip to Marival Residences in Nuevo Vallarta. My family and I really enjoyed our visit. The grounds are very well maintained, the suites are like a home away from home, and the food is 5 star, and the service was great. I was a little hesitant to book as I usually like to have beachfront access. The 5 minute shuttle is always available to take you to the sister resort that has a beach club. The fact that the tours are included make it that much more of a value. We did the Dolphin encounter, Sea Lion encounter, and an excursion to Yelapa. We were travelling with our 5 year old son and he had a great time. Now be sure to book the marival residences and not the resort. There is a BIG difference!! I had to stay at the Marival resort for the first night. I was really disappointed as the rooms smelled of mildew and there was "sweat" on the walls. However the next day we checked into the residence and I felt like my vacation had finally begun. As an FYI, there were a few couples who had been "upgraded" from the resort to the residence for doing a timeshare sales meeting. Two thumbs up for this resort!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 5th floor or higher for nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank EYS_1
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Just spent 5 days at this beautiful resort, and I have to say this is the most relaxed that I have ever returned from a vacation. The grounds are breathtaking and very well-maintained. We had a penthouse suite, which featured a wonderful rooftop plunge pool. For those looking to book this kind of suite you will not be disappointed.

Before I continue with the glowing points of this fantastic resort, I do feel the need to address a few concerning issues that we encountered during our stay. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by one of the hotel employees about a sales presentation, which we had no problem agreeing to attend. However, after our welcome drink at noon, Lunch at 1pm, and even strolling the resort grounds at 2pm, our room was not ready until after 3 pm. We figured there must have been a full house for us to wait over 3 hours, but after speaking to one of the bell men, we learned the resort was only at 25% occupancy! Moving forward, upon finally getting into our room, we noticed a small beehive on the top of the outside window. We called the front desk for removal because my fiance is DEATHLY allergic to bees. We called to have the issue addressed more than 3 times! I must say this beehive would be hard to get to, but this issue was not addressed until the last night of our stay. While this may be a tough task, this should have been addressed much sooner, as that beehive grew in size and the bees started to make their way toward the plunge pool, which made it a very bothersome experience for my fiance'. Lastly, I didn't intend to have to deal with any personal business issues on my vacaton, but it had come up to my dismay, so I needed relaible internet access to make my business call. The internet was consistently down throughout the last 2 days of our stay. To make matters worse (to no fault of the hotel), the power kept on going out due to the work being done by the power company. Business matters may come up no matter how much we need to leave them behind, and all I was looking for was a cost effective solution to have this business meeting. We were also misinformed (and transferred over 10 times when calling about a solution) between the front desk, concierge, and the business center). The beds were very hard. Hope they all aren't like the one we had.

With all of that being said, I don't see too many travellers needing to do business or having the misfortune of having to deal with a bee hive. I would say that most travellers that are looking for a relaxing atmosphere, fun excursions, and top notch rooms, will end up being pleased in the end.

The pools are beautiful. There's no shortage of servers or employees to make sure your stay is as relaxing and enjoyable as you may be looking for. They offer servers from Lemongrass, their snack bar to take care of any food or refreshments that may be needed, as well as a cart featuring suntan lotion, and towels. The VIP beach club at the sister resort has the same offerings, with very nice Bali Beds for your relaxation needs.

If you didn't take advantage of the excursions offereed by the hotel, you would be missing out on some amazing life experiences. We did three of them over our 5 night stay. The Canopy La Vista tour was one filled with amazing views and lots of excitement with the 12 zip lines that were offered. The Dolphin and Sea Lion Encounters were all very fun, interactive as we got to meet them up close and personal, and educational as well. Couples and families alike will enjoy these animal encounter tours as I highly reccomend them as well as the thrill seekers for the Canopy La Vista Tour.

Dining was never a disappointment. I have done more than a handful of all-inclusive stays, and this would have to rank at the top of dining experiences. Room Service was exceptional. Omaggio offered your usual cafe/small restaurant style resort food with a fantastic brunch on the weekend. Try the tequila shrimp there, you wont be disappointed! Insu, had an amazingly relaxing atmosphere with its wonderful music as well as posh setting. The menu is one of four continents, with a tapas-like presentatiion. As one reviewer mentioned, the shrimp corn dogs are in fact amazing. My fiance' really enjoyed the duck taquitos. Over at the sister resort, if you are fortunate to catch the mexican fiesta at the buffet, you will be in for a treat indeed witrh its authentic mexican food cooked for you right on the spot. The Tacos al pastor and the chese empanadas are to die for.

As you walk around the resort, you will always be greeted with a smiling face. Reggie was always around asking if we're enjoying ourselves. Carlos at the concierge was always such a kind and accomidating person when it came to our questions and needs.

I know we ran into a few issues, but I can't possibly give this resort anything lower than a five as this is the nicest all-inclusive resort we have ever stayed at. If I ever say that I have stayed here again, I would have to consider myself nothing less than privilaged and lucky.

Room Tip: the penthouse, you want this!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CheckRight42
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I just returned back from a very quick, 3-night stay. We're from Manhattan and we just needed a weekend to unwind and breathe in peace. We certainly wish it were longer, this place was the epitome of perfection!!!

Although I'm certain all the rooms at the resort were great, we were fortunate to have a corner, 1-bedroom penthouse (complete with private rooftop and plunge pool!). Our jaws dropped when we walked in! State of the art, fully stocked kitchen (beer in the fridge!), modern bathrooms, tasteful decor...and the rooftop (OMG!). We spent a lot of our early evenings watching the sunset, wine glass in hand from our private plunge pool!

Staff is fantastic, from check in with the loveable Cesar, to the professional and courteous Carlos at Concierge and Ricardo by the pool is incredibly hospitable (watch out..sometimes too hospitable...too many shots...oy!).

Food is beyond amazing. We often hear so many horror stories about all-inclusive resorts, but the food here is truly THAT good. Have the tuna tar tar at Lemmon Grass (I had at least 10 plates during our stay), and don't miss out on breakfast with fresh squeezed juices and the best cafe con leche.

Drinks are decent (if you want them super strong, just ask)...and the wine is actually great quality for "house". I'm a picky Chardonnay drinker, but the wine bar, Brunello has a great stock of fantastic wine by the glass.

One word of advice: Don't bother going down to the sister resort. It's not worth it. The V.I.P. beach section for Marival Residences is nothing to write home about. The atmosphere is a bit immature, and quality of services is subpar. We took the golf cart down there one day, and turned right back around 5 minutes later. Stick to the Residences, the food is great, the atmosphere is peaceful, you really can't go wrong.

Definitely utilize the concierge services. We booked some great excursions. We L-O-V-E-D the sea lion encounter. We briefly thought about the dolphins, but we're dog lovers, and we thought the sea lions would be a more playful, interactive activity. We were right. We booked the first encounter of the day (10am) and had the whole activity and pool to ourselves with Cassandra the sea lion. Priceless. You get a personal photographer to go with you to document your time. We thought $139 was WAY overpriced for the photos, but we couldn't resist. The excursion was free, the sea lion trainers were super great, and the photos were REALLY good. We splurged, and I'm glad we did. We now have a disk of some fantastic unforgettable shots.

We also did the zipline tour through the rainforest. This was also amazingly unforgettable. It's for the early riser, as you have to travel almost 2 hours into the rainforest. But once you're in Mexican heaven, the ziplining views were stunning! The tour guides are hysterically funny and do a great job of keeping the momentum and energy up as we started to really feel the sun and moisture of the rainforest increase. At the end, you can grab an authentic (cheap lunch) at the local farm before getting an agave/tequila tour and tasting. Here, too, there is a personal photographer and videographer. Combined, their services were HALF the price of the sea lion adventure, and again, we're glad we spent the $80 on it. For a free excursion, the unforgettable photos and video coverage of our trip was priceless.

We DID end up spending money on ONE Vallarta adventure, and that was the Rhythms of the Night cruise, show and dinner. If you can manage, DO THIS TOUR! It's $89 per person, but you get a 1 hour sunset cruise out to Las Caletas (with hors d' eouvres and open bar), a beautiful Cirque d' Soleil choreographed show and an authentic, buffet dinner by candlelight. We did this tour the last night we were in Puerto Vallarta, and it was the perfect finish to an amazing vacation.

I could go on and on. Run, don't walk, to Marival. We can't wait to go back, we'll definitely be returning. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Corner penthouses are quiet, "semi-private" and have the most AMAZING private rooftop terr...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fayemous14
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Can't say enough about how great the resort was. The place is "as advertised" and you can expect your room and the facilities to be as nice as they are on the website. We had a penthouse suite which included a private deck with a plunge pool. I spent at least half of my time at the resort there and it was incredible. The service was extremely friendly and attentive as well. In fact, the food and the quality of the drinks were so high, I had to check with the front-desk the next morning that I was not being charged. Turns out, everything really was included. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Look for a deal on the penthouse suites. They were incredible.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple