“Top Notch!!!Exceeded all Expectations......”

Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 May 2012

After our wedding we traveled to Mexico for our honeymoon. Our local travel agency, Cruise Holidays of Kansas City Highly recommended Marival, and that's what we chose.

Upon arrival we were met, and escorted to an area (bar) to have a much needed cocktail, and wait our turn in the arrival Que. Total time waiting you ask? 10 minutes. The staff is very, professional, speedy, and efficient. The entire week long trip, we needed nothing. Service was exceptional, and relaxation was the word of the day everyday.

Our suite was larger than our home. It had a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, two bedrooms, a living room, a large deck accessible from the living room and the master bedroom. Also, it had an upper level with a large deck with a table with four chairs, two lounging sun chairs, and......wait for it.......wait for it.... A PLUNGE POOL.. Yes!!!!! a freaking pool. we were so amazed by the room itself we didn't want to leave it..

The food, was amazing!! simply put if you leave hungry it's your own fault. Very well crafted often hand made in front of you, and plated to please the eye, and palate.

Since it was our honeymoon, we had the pleasure of some special gifts from the resort. The most outstanding was a private dinner on the beach. I will include photos....This was the most romantic dinner!!!! The sunset, and the service is unmatched..

I mentioned service. All of the staff work very hard. But there are a few who we feel need to be mentioned, because they just stood out to us, almost as if they are family to us. First- Carlos he is the go to guy for everything. Carlos helped us with everything, day trips to the city to what to drink in town, places to eat, our room services, tours, you name it he does it. Then Jennifer- Jennifer is the supervisor at the sister resort, for beach service. She is so nice and friendly, customer service seems effortless for her. Paco- Paco works under Jennifer, and is by far her best employee. The man works his butt off, all to keep us travelers comfortable. Miguel- Miguel is the go to Taxi driver. The Taxi's at Marival are owned by the resort, so the drivers are employees of Marival. Miguel was so honest, has a family, and understands how a traveler feels in a strange land.(he has been to a large US city which would scare a US local). He took us to all of our outing destinations, explained what was good, and not so good. This saved us time and money. These people are just a few of many. The entire staff is top notch.

I know the review is short, but I know I hate reading ten page reviews. If you have questions I did not mention, message me through trip adviser, I will respond the best I can. We also have over 300 pictures if you would like a picture of some resort stuff I am certain we have it..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thigysflyn
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for writing such a thorough review, complete with great photos. It will be our pleasure to see you again should you decide to celebrate your anniversary with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,269)

Reviewed 18 May 2012

This was my first experience at an all inclusive resort. The staff was wonderful! I will definitely recommend this to all my friends and family. My next trip down to Mexico I will be staying there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank eric l
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Just returned a few days ago from a 7 night stay. I have to say this is the best all-inclusive property that we have ever been to. From the service to the food and rooms everything here is top notch! It was wonderful not having to wait in line for anything. It will make it very difficult when planning my next vacation to top this. We did take advantage of some of the free tours and golf. Spent one morning golfing at Vista Vallarta, it was beautiful. Swam with the sea lions and also did the sunset sail. Both were great! Book the sunset sail as soon as you arrive as space is limited, we had to wait until the night before we left. Spent alot of time at the Beach Club, Paco is great! Lots of chairs and umbrella's for everyone. Insu sky bar is awesome, great food and views! Over all I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to relax and enjoy good service and food. I would return given the opportunity.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Well, this review is long overdue but better late than never. We returned to the Marival Residences for a five night trip on December 16, 2011. We had previously been there in March, 2011 and the kids loved it so much they wanted to return. It was my husband’s busy season so this trip was just me and the kids (ages 11 and 15). On our previous trip, we had sampled a bunch of the excursions so this trip we planned to just veg at the resort. We loved the Marival the first time and I am pleased to report that our second trip was a success as well. When we arrived, the Apple rep put us in a cab and we were whisked off to the resort. Greeted warmly upon our arrival, I reminded the person checking us in that we had requested a one bedroom with two double beds rather than a king. She checked her sheet to see what room we had been assigned and I was delighted to learn that the resort had upgraded us to a two bedroom unit. No need for a tour so we were quickly shown up to our room. It was on the fifth floor in the center building looking directly out at the ocean. I called down to housekeeping and they were up in a flash putting the thick foam pads on each of the beds to make things a little cushier. We couldn’t have been happier. We spent our week alternating between the pool and the beach. Weather was perfect. We did notice that there were more little kids at the resort than our last stay but they were well behaved and not an issue. We also noticed some small changes to the resort. They expanded the breakfast buffet so that if you were sitting in Omaggio you could order off the menu and also take advantage of a now larger buffet line. When we were there the first time, there used to be a buffet set up by the kids zero depth pool by the fountains and then a small buffet in Omaggio. Now it is all together and I liked that a lot better. One of our favorite breakfast treats was the homemade tortillas they were pressing and grilling to make wonderful empanadas. So delicious. Also, they have expanded the buffet that they set up in the afternoon by the pool. That gives you the option of sitting down to eat at Lemon Grass or just grabbing a burger or some fish from the buffet. The service was pretty consistent throughout our trip although there were a few times when our table would fall through the cracks at lunch. Not a big deal though, not like we were in a rush to get anywhere. Here is my list of why we love the Marival –

-No plastic wristbands, just lightweight macramé bracelets

-Never a problem finding chairs at the beach or the pool no matter what time you come down. The staff does a great job of watching to see when people leave and clean the used towels off of the chairs so there are always freshly made up chairs available. Not having to stake out a place for my family at 6:30 in the morning is a huge benefit to me. This is the only resort I have ever been to where finding a group of chairs together was never an issue.

-Speaking of the chairs, they are really quality chairs – with thick cushions. I know that sounds like a little thing but it is hard to go back to the cheaper plastic versions once you get used to these. Also, if you need a little more shade, the guys working the pool area will quickly pull an umbrella over to you if you ask.

-Really great tapas at Insu. My kids and I love this place. It can be a nosh before dinner or a replacement for a full dinner. Amazing sunsets, welcoming staff, comfy couch-like banquettes to lounge on. Very relaxing atmosphere. Later in the night, lively music. My kids liked to come up later at night for dessert tapas – they love those cheesecake pops.

-Light fresh menu options at both restaurants – no need to walk around feeling overly stuffed if you don’t want to. Also, no need to make reservations, just show up to eat when you are hungry. There was only one night that the restaurant we wanted to eat at could not seat us immediately because there were a lot of big groups in the restaurant that night. They were very accommodating though and offered to get us at the wine bar or call us in our room when the table was ready.

-Very warm staff. On our last night, having dinner at Lemmon Grass it was just my son and I. We couldn’t decide which of the three entrees to choose. Our waiter immediately smiled told us that he would bring all three for us to share. I wish I remembered his name, but he really exemplified the warm attitude of the staff. Also, front desk was always helpful and friendly, especially Max.

-Space, lots of space. If you are the parent of a teen or a tween, you will likely know that small spaces can breed sibling discord. Not an issue at the Marival where are unit provided so much living space – one kid could be on the huge balcony reading, another in the large living room watching TV. Lots of space to spread out – two separate closets in the kids bedroom and a huge closet in the master bedroom. Having two bathrooms also was a huge help. You just can’t compare these rooms with other rooms you might get at a typical resort in Mexico. While we did not use the dining room space or kitchen space – it was great to have them.

-Washer/dryer. Because I knew we had these in the unit, I was able to pack very lightly for all of us. Just pack some purel washer/dryer sheets so that you have laundry soap because I don’t recall them providing any of that.

-Affordable. It is a little pricier than the other big inclusives, but you get so much for your money, especially if you take advantage of all of the free excursions.

-Perfect weather. The western coast has such consistently clear and warm weather – we just love that it is so dependable.

-Beach club – they really try to make you feel special there. Not a problem for us that it is not right next to resort. Sometimes we would take the golf cart and other times we would just walk – really not far and a little exercise never hurt anyone.

The kids and I were looking for a place to go for December, 2012 and were just a hair away from booking the Iberostar Bavaro in DR where we have been before. (Really fun resort, btw) After a brief discussion, the kids overruled me and we are once again returning to the Marival. It has become our special place to just hang out, play cards by the pool, eat good food and escape the cold winter at home. This time we are going for seven nights and plan to try some of the excursions we never tried before and also try to make it to the show one night at the Marival Resort next door. So, Reggie, be on the look out for Lauren, Josh and Erica – we will be back on December 20th. Thanks to Judy and Maria’s Travel for telling us about this amazing resort (call them if you are interested in Apple Vacations – they are so helpful).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Beachmom2kids
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Marival was AMAZING, OUTSTANDING, and WONDERFUL! We had never been to an all-inclusive and I didn't consider myself a cruise/all-inclusive person...I don't like lines, lots of people, and I like to see the area and go, go, go. After the Marival I still think that I probably wouldn't care for a typical all-inclusive but I LOVED the Marival and would love to go back! It was perfect. The customer service was outstanding from the moment we checked in which entailed sitting in the lounge with a glass of lemonade while a host brought us the paperwork and our wristbands (which were string and bead bracelets), to the poolside service, to the excellent restaurants, to the concierge. The suites are so nice you hardly want to leave the room! Our private splash pool on the roof was great for relaxing late at night and had amazing ocean views! The pool area was not packed but fun (there were bands that played during the day), relaxing and the food was delicious, the beach was easy to get to with the golf cart shuttle, we took 3 excursions (the dolphins - okay but not spectacular, ziplining - tons of fun!, and sea lions - way better than the dolpins because they have so much more personality but -be warned- the picture package they offer is ridiculously priced) and I had a massage and body scrub at the spa which was the best I've ever had! Walking through the Marival sister resort to get to the beach made me think that I still wouldn't love a regular all-inclusive, there were lines to get food and drinks, the pools were packed with people, the lawnchairs were practically stacked on top of one another and you had to stand in line and sign out towels! We wandered through to the VIP Marival Residences section with well spaced chairs and 2-person chaises, fluffy stacks of towels at the foot of each chair, and servers rushing out drinks and food. They catered to your every whim and had plenty to do to keep you go, go, going if you wanted or there were so many beautiful spaces to just relax.

Room Tip: If you can spring for a room with a rooftop splash pool do! I wondered if we would use it enough to...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveToTravel5303
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We visited for 4 days in the beginning of May. Let me start with the great:
1. The service is excellent, as good as any we had at five star resorts such as Banyan Tree. And we were not the easiest customers: we are vegans plus a baby that goes through a very picky eating phase. Nevertheless, they accommodated our every desire. They even payed for daily freshly-squeezed veggie/fruit juices from D-Gourmet, the nearby deli. We interacted mostly with Alejandra and Reggie, who were both great. Very very professional and 'no' doesn't exist in their vocabulary. Somebody should give them a raise.
2. The apartments are great. We had a one bedroom on the top floor. It was great: very clean, minimalist design, very big, amazing views. Beautiful. Just for the heck of it, I went through the apartment, trying to find something to criticize. Nothing. Maybe the fact that the bathroom doesn't have a tub? But who needs a tub with so many pools around you?

And now the not so great:
3. The food is at best average. I guess this is to be expected at an 'all you can eat' resort but I wish it wasn't like that. Somebody in management definitely chose quantity over quality. A lot of the things (desserts, juices, some of the fruits, pastries) feel like they were bought at a super market. I think the chefs do the best with the ingredients they have. Some of the entrees we had were decent, such as the risotto or the tomato filled with pilaf and raisins. But overall, at least the vegetarian entrees are not great either.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mihai S
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I visited Marival May 3-10 with my husband and some friends. We enjoyed every minute of it. The service was excellent and the rooms were very big. The food was amazing. If you are looking for a relaxing get away this is the resort for you. I would highly recommend this resort to all my friends and family. We will definately be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple