“Amazing food, great service and a tad on timeshare feel”

Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Oklahoma City, OK
“Amazing food, great service and a tad on timeshare feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

me start with saying this all inclusive has the best food of any all inclusive that I have visited and I have been to a ton of them! With that being said here's my full review.......

This resort is "across the street" from the beach. Brochures and online descriptions seem to make it seem like it's just right across the road but it's across the street up on the hill and down from the main resort. You wouldn't be able to walk there but there is golf cart service down there. It runs all the time so ended up not a big deal.
The driver drops you off at the entrance to where you can walk down to their special area on the beach. This wasn't like the "special" areas at other resorts where they just have a rope and it's the same as everyone elses. It was actually really nice. There are nice beach beds and teak wood looking pathways. The waitstaff was eager to help and bring drinks or snacks. The waiters even brought me an ice cream sundae one day. The resort had a basket of sunscreen and magazines which I realized when I forgot my sunscreen one day I had just donated it to the basket.
Back at the resort there's a nice pool but no swim up bar. There is a private jacuzzi with a neat waterfall. It was suppose to be adults only but people still had their toddlers over there and no one did anything about it. I'm a rule follower for the most part esp with things like that so that kind of stuff bugs me. There's a restaurant on this island type thing in the middle of the pool with amazing food.
The really popular restaurant was the one on the roof top and they had tapas from all different continents. It was so fun and we ordered a ton and watched the sunset. (and they were sooo good, if you didn't notice they have good food theme).
The rooms were excessively huge. Totally unnecessary but kind of fun. We had a one bedroom ocean view room. It had 2 bathrooms and a huge kitchen which I have always found bizarre at an all inclusive. The bed was super hard. I'm a little spoiled though with my bed at home.
Pepsi products stocked in the fridge (bleh). Room service was not free. They said the fee was suppose to be like a tip (it wasn't expensive) but then there's always still a line for a tip even when you are on the all inclusive so it makes you feel a little obligated. We only tipped if there was amazing service or they went out of their way.

The spa at this resort is awesome. All the treatment rooms were different countries with the furniture and everything all from that country. The Italy room even had where you smash grapes before you get in the wine barrel looking jacuzzi before your massage. I'm giddy just thinking about it.

Room Tip: Book the rooftop rooms to have the best view of the ocean and sunset.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liavincent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Discovery Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

All inclusive 5 star resort that exceeded what I was expecting when we arrived. The residences are spacious and beautifully decorated. Every meal was delicious and the staff was amazing. Very friendly and helpful. The grounds are well kept and manicured. Beautiful pools. This was our second time there and we will definitely go again. I highly recommend it for couples and families.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
monroe ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Wow! this place is amazing.Food and drinks were some of the best I have ever had at an all inclusive. The staff are well trained and the service was truly 5 star. Beach club is nice.Beautiful beach and waiter service on the beach. All top shelf liquor (no water downed drinks here). Also rooms are stunning with gorgeous bathrooms-very high end appointments. Room service is on point and they will deliver bottles of wine to the room. We met the manager and other management staff-all spoke english and were really proud of this place and wanted feedback from guests on how they were doing and what could be improved on. I had trouble finding anything that needed improvement.Love this resort,hope to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

We spent 6 glorious days at Marival for our honeymoon in November 2012. In a nutshell, this was by far the best experience I have ever had on a vacation. We knew we wanted to go to the beach for our honeymoon and being located in Texas, Mexico or the Caribbean were our preferred locales. I will tell you that we chose this resort based on the fact that it was a Trip Advisor top choice for 2012 and that all of the reviews were positive and outstanding.

Arrival:
We arrived at PVR around 2:00 PM local time and proceeded to wait in line for immigration for close to an hour. The airport halls were air conditioned and the crowds were jovial – making for an annoying, but fairly pleasant wait. We had arranged transportation from the airport to Marival when we booked our hotel – we just weren’t sure where to find it. When you exit baggage claim and customs, you find yourself in a hall with lots of counters of taxi services and other “helpful” employees. We asked one where we would find our driver – mistake. This lead to a 10 minute attempt for someone to try and sell us a condo, dolphin tour, and other packages that we neither wanted nor asked for. So my advice, ignore all of the people trying to talk to you and proceed through the “marketing hall” to the waiting throng of taxi drivers and car services. Once through, we easily found our driver who had a sign and a listing of our names. The driver graciously pulled over at the first liquor store and asked us if we wanted a cold beer…absolutely! $5 USD procured us 2 cans of Corona. The trip to Marival was around 20 minutes and the driver was friendly and informative.

When we arrived at the resort, we were immediately met by the bellman who took our luggage. We then were whisked away to the bar where we waited for resort staff to grab our paperwork and all-inclusive bracelets (which are nice because they are braided cord and removable).

The Resort:
The resort features an open air lobby, wine bar, an indoor restaurant, a rooftop bar/restaurant, and 2 outdoor dining areas. There is a main pool with loungers and daybeds – they can be used by anyone on a first come, first serve basis. There are also 2 “quiet pools” that are secluded from the main pool. I didn’t really feel these were “accessible” to all guests as there are rooms with patios less than 2 feet from these areas. The rooftop bar/restaurant also has a shallow infinity pool that looks directly out to the ocean. The resort is a lot smaller than I thought it would be but that’s part of what makes it fantastic. At some resorts, it may take 15 minutes to walk to dinner – here, a mere 5. Everywhere we went, the grounds were meticulously manicured and well-kept. The staff does a wonderful job of picking up plates, drink glasses, and other clutter/trash. I will also note that the pictures on the Marival Residences website are true representations of the resort.

The Room:
Since it was our honeymoon, we opted for the 1 bedroom penthouse with private pool. It was by far one of the biggest suites I have stayed in. The suite had a full kitchen (full size refrigerator, dishwasher, all utensils, dishes, cookware), full size living room, a first floor balcony that extended from the master bedroom to the living room with patio furniture, master bedroom with glass sections for the shower and toilet, and another full bath with a washer/dryer closet. A set of wrap-around, enclosed stairs lead to the upper floor which included a nice size patio, plunge pool, 2 chaise loungers, a side table, and a 4 chair dining table. The plunge pool was about 24 inches deep and included a wide ledge that you could easily place a towel on for sitting/sunbathing. The pool was approximately 13 feet by 7 feet. All of the furniture in the suite was comfortable and clean. The resort also offers a pillow menu, and while we tried to order different options, I’m not sure we actually received them. Turndown service occurred nightly around 7 PM. In fact my only complaint about the resort is that we could never seem to get the long beach towels replenished on our pool loungers. The first 2 days we received them when maid service came but the rest of the time, we received normal bath towels which didn’t cover the lounge chair (this was easily resolved by grabbing 2 towels from the main pool chairs on our way back from breakfast).

Food & Drinks:
Well I came back 8 pounds heavier… The food is awesome. I’m fairly picky – and I don’t eat seafood, which can sometimes be difficult when going to a beach location, but there was an endless supply of things I could (and liked) eat. The nice thing is that the restaurants do not require reservations, so you don’t have to plan what time you want eat.

Omaggio: This is the main restaurant at the resort and is indoors, but features a large patio. They offer breakfast and dinner. For breakfast, in addition to the menu, they offered a buffet which included items like red or green chilaquiles, eggs, biscuits, pastries, and cereals. Menu items for breakfast included egg white omelets with avocado, huevos rancheros, eggs benedict, French toast, and a variety of fresh squeezed juices. Dinner was offered either with their standard menu or specialty theme nights. Items we had for dinner included beef medallions with foie gras, blue crab cakes, stone seared tuna, miso glazed salmon, honey and rosemary chicken, lamb, and fried oreo cookies.

Insu: Insu is the rooftop bar and restaurant. Insu’s main feature is an infinity pool that runs the length of the space that you can actually get in and lounge. (It was a bit weird with people eating around you but plenty of people would be in the pool. It also seemed this is where families would have breakfast/lunch as the kids could be in the pool.) Insu offered a breakfast buffet of standard American and Mexican fare and for lunch/social hour, a menu of gourmet “bites” -items like mini corn dogs, tequila shrimp, and beef empanadas. Insu also would turn into a bit of a “club” at night with a DJ and disco lights.

Lemmon Grass: Located among the pool deck, Lemmon Grass is open for lunch. All of the dining is outside; items from Lemmon Grass can also be ordered around the pool. For lunch, we had dishes such as seafood ceviche, Sicilian pizza, quesadillas, and beef or salmon burger. Lemmon Grass is definitely casual fare which is perfect for lunch around the pool.

Brunello: Brunello serves as the main “bar” that is located directly off the lobby. With an impressive wine selection (think wine cellar volumes) and any made-to-order drink you can imagine, it was a perfect place to grab a drink pre or post dinner…or pre or post trip to town… or anytime really.

Nicksan: Nicksan wasn’t included in the all-inclusive plan but it was a nicely decorated Japanese and sushi restaurant that sits next to the spa. We didn’t have time to try Nicksan, but the menu looked good, albeit pricey.

Pool Deck: I’m not really sure what to call this food offering – I believe it was catered by Omaggio – but from mid-morning to mid-afternoon, there was hot food buffet set up along the side of the pool under a pavilion. The menu varied from breakfast to lunch but it was mostly comprised of items like fajitas, carnitas, pasta, finger sandwiches, quesadillas, potatoes, shrimp, etc. They kept this buffet well stocked and I never felt that the food was stagnant – which was important since it was hot outside. The pool deck would also offer table seating for breakfast and dinner. The dinner menu was more catered to “specialty” items – with a featured wine. We didn’t dine at this option simply because it was normally offered a bit later (7 PM onwards).

Room Service: Awesome. Room service was included (which at most all-inclusives, its not), you simply just had to pay the GST on the bill total. The menu was sectioned by time of day, but included items such fettuccini alfredo with shrimp, hamburger, salads, and sandwiches. We took advantage of room service so that we could have lunch on our rooftop patio. By far the best thing about room service was that you could order a six pack of beer or a bottle of champagne and they would deliver it. Again – perfect for our private pool.

Drinks: Part of the 8 pounds I gained could be attributed to the amount of pina coladas I consumed. The drinks here were amazing and they weren’t under or over poured. One of my only complaints about the resort is that the main pool bar wouldn’t open until 11 or so – but the rooftop bar opened at 7. Bar service around the main pool was sometimes slow but nevertheless, attentive. We are huge wine lovers so the fact the resort offered more than just white or red was a huge perk.

The Spa:
The spa is incredible. We did 2 couples’ massages- one on the first day and one on the last – and were not disappointed either time. The spa has “region” rooms; a French one featured a shower made out of a wine barrel and an Asian one featured a giant Buddha statue with candles. Our room had a steam shower and a Jacuzzi along with comfortable lounging furniture. They offer infused water and a chlorophyll drink while you are waiting, as well as a dried fruit and nut plate if you opt to spend time in the outdoor Jacuzzi and lounge area.

Marival Beach Club:
One of the things I couldn't really get a lot of description on was the beach club. The resort doesn’t sit on the beach – it sits across the street from it (they do have a gate which has street access which beach access a couple of blocks). If you are staying at the Marival Residences, you have full access to the sister resort and its amenities (beach, pool, dining options). The resort’s sister property, Marival Resort, is a quick golf-cart ride down the street and sits on the beach front. They have a beach area for the resort guests, but a VIP club for only the guests who stay at the Residences. The VIP club is located on the beach and has comfortable white padded loungers in the sand, umbrellas, outdoor shower facilities, and a wait staff for drink needs. They also offer a buffet of snacks and restroom facilities. The resort also includes boogie boards for guests; there are several independent vendors on the beach front that offer parasailing and jet skis. The typical beach vendors also walk up and down the beach with jewelry, sunglasses, shirts, hats, etc. but they are far less annoying than most and only would approach when motioned at. We did walk around the Marival Resort in case we wanted to eat dinner there one night, but honestly, we weren’t impressed. We didn’t actually eat anything so I can’t say whether or not to try it, but I wouldn’t waste a meal there when the Residences is so fabulous. It really doesn’t even compare.

The Tours at Puerto Vallarta Adventures:
Our all-inclusive package included various tours at Puerto Vallarta Adventures – swim with the dolphins, swim with the sea lions, zip lining, and day cruises. This is such an incredible deal – so take advantage of it. The concierge at Marival will call to set it up for you; normally they needed 24 hours’ notice to book it. Puerto Vallarta Adventures (PVA) is a mere 5 minutes from the resort via taxi (you pay the cab fare). PVA offers several upgrades and tours that you can do in addition to the ones included by Marival (the PVA website lists all of the tours that they offer). We did the dolphins and sea lions (on different days). Each took about 2 hours total, so we didn’t have to waste an entire day. If I had to pick, the sea lion excursion was better than the dolphins…and we have the pictures to prove it. TIP: If you choose to do any tour at PVA and you buy the picture disk ($120 USD) and you subsequently do another tour, they will give you those pictures for free on your disk – just keep your receipt to show them.

Overall Experience:
I could not have asked for a better vacation, let alone a better honeymoon. The resort was clean, luxurious but comfortable, and quiet. We wanted a romantic break from everyday life and Marival offered that. The clientele was mostly couples, but there were a few families. If you want to come here and party, don’t. You’d be much happier finding a more energetic resort closer to town. If you want a peaceful, relaxing vacation where amazing food and service is the standard, Marival is the place you should book. You will not regret it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HoldPlease
Los Altos, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We spent a week recently at Marival Residences as part of a golfing vacation arranged by our head pro. The Marival experience was outstanding. Our accommodation was a 3-BR, 4+ BA 2 level villa with a private pool. And that was just for my wife and me!! Others in our group had better views but I think we had the largest per person space!

The all-inclusive plan covers all meals, all drinks (alcoholic and non), and shuttle access to the sister Marival Resort location's several restaurants and beach location. Or just walk 100 yards to the beach from the Residences. All of the meals we had in both locations were well served and well prepared. We actually enjoyed the dinners at Omaggio and LemonGrass as well as the tapa's an drinks at the bar on the7th floor the best.

The only minor, and I mean really minor, negative was the confusion at check-in. For a large (over 100) check-in group, I suppose it's logical that there would be some snafu's. But all's well that end's well, it's just too bad the week had to end at all!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TomLACA
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Wow, wow, wow. I thought I'd stayed in 5 star resorts before, but nothing compares to the Marival.

ROOM: We booked a patio poolside room which is steps away from a small infinity pool. This room was perfect because our daughter naps during the day and we wanted the option of sunbathing and swimming with her close to us. The pool had a great little ledge for sunbathing in it. Few 5 star resorts have this kind of room option and it was the main reason we booked Marival. Couldn't have been happier. The room itself is amazing. It's HUGE with a complete kitchen, dining room, living room with pull out couch, huge master bedroom and two full bathrooms. We loved the fact that there was a washer and dryer in the suite as we were able to pack light and do laundry. If you forget your own detergent, you can get a package in the gift shop for a few dollars. The size of that room is amazing and we will never be able to stay anywhere else that's less than 1000 sq ft! With our daughter we planned on spending more time in the room and for this reason we were grateful for a lovely sprawling room. The terrace has a dining set which was lovely for lunch and feeding the baby outside. The best part of the mainfloor suites is that you can order from the bar staff while sitting on your patio. We had drinks coming all day, and they even bring you a menu for LEMMONGRASS, the restaurant that's a few steps from the room. The only downside to the room is the bed. It's very firm. Before you even get into your room, I would ask for a mattress topper. We sadly didn't get a chance to get one because our daughter slept in the crib in that room and she always managed to be sleeping when the maids came. I should have listened to other travellers reviews and had one waiting and ready. The crib they provided was a pack and play which was great! We actually brought our own and set that one up on the patio for her during the day.

SERVICE/FOOD: The best we have EVER experienced. There are three restaurants and one outdoor grill that was open a few times while we were there. LEMMONGRASS is the pool restaurant/bar that we were served from everyday. They will come right to your patio poolside room. The calamari and quesedillas were AMAZING. There wasn't a bad thing on the menu. The drinks from here were better than any I'd have at home. I drank so many Mango Vice's (Miami vice with Mango) and am missing them so much. For someone who has never been able to have frozen drinks at a resort (always too runny, warm or not actually "frozen") this is saying a lot. They were 5 star! Thank you to Patricia for always bringing drinks by and keeping us happy all day long. She was truly wonderful and SO friendly. My husband also loved the bottled Corona and Corona Light. A nice change from draft beer (which is still available if you'd like).
Omaggio was the main restaurant which we ate at 6 of the 7 nights. The menu was not huge, but EVERYTHING on it is amazing. We tried different things every night that we would never try at home and were amazed at the food quality. Better than any restaurant I've ever eaten at at home. Awesome desserts and the red wine was wonderful! Thank you to Fernando who was our server a few nights. He was such a treat and we were so happy to have him each night :)
We tried Lemmongrass for dinner one night but it's a limited menu and we didn't enjoy it as much. Still wonderful food, but we liked the selection on the large menu at Omaggio more. We never tried the outdoor grill (which was a small menu like LEMMONGRASS but had a salad bar). INSU was the rooftop restaurant serving tapas. We only ate here 3 nights because it didn't always work with our daughters sleep schedule. We wished we could have eaten here 7 nights! It was AMAZING. The tapas menu is divided into sections like North America, South America, Europe and Asia and you can sample dishes from around the world. Shrimp Corn Dogs, Lobster potstickers, sushi rolls and more. We tried a few apps every night before heading to Omaggio for dinner. The sunsets are to die for up there and you know it's good if people that aren't even staying at the resort go there for drinks and apps :) By far our favourite dining experience of the trip!
For breakfast there was a buffet at INSU, and sometimes at the outdoor grill. We did room service twice and the other days ate at Omaggio. You will never have a good breakfast anywhere else after eating here! My husband had the Omaggio eggs a few times which were eggs benedict served with a chipotle hollandaise sauce and CRAB CAKES instead of english muffins. WOW! The eggs benedict was amazing too and I loved that they had turkey bacon. Limited menu is available through room service but it comes hot and fresh. There is a 10% service charge for room service, but it's peanuts when you check out. A breakfast order sets you back about $4. Nothing to get worried about! We ALWAYS tipped as well. We didn't see anyone else not tipping. You get excellent service here and it's worth it to tip accordingly. I don't know if "gratuities are included" here, but who cares. A little goes a long way and bringing $100 cash minimum and splitting it out over a few days is so appreciated. We tipped about $5 for each dinner, a few dollars here and there for breakfast, etc. and we always tipped Patricia or the other poolside servers well because they literally take care of you from 10 am until they are off at 6pm! The only bad thing about the resort foodwise is the coffee (my husband wanted me to include this-I didn't mind too much). It is lukewarm at best in all the restaurants. We made our own in the room each day :) Tip-get your to go cup at Omaggio and head into the wine bar for a bailey's top up each morning!
The location is great. Neuvo Vallarta is new, beautiful and feels SO safe. The location is off the beach, but we didn't mind because we didn't want to be there as our daughter is so young. We took the shuttle once and walked another time which took maybe 10 minutes max. The walk along the beach is amazing and I had a great run one morning on it. The other Marival resort has a special section for Residence guests where you can have beachside drinks, etc. We didn't use it but it looked lovely.

When I was leaving, we didn't have time to fill out the comment card because we were in a rush. I wanted to leave this review once we got home to share with the hotel how impressed we were. You have ruined us and I don't know how we will ever stay anywhere else again! A special thank you to Patricia and Fernando :) You made our trip that much better by being there. For a trip with a young baby, this was the perfect resort, room and location. The food and drink quality were better than I've had at home and we will be back as soon as we can. Thank you SO much for a vacation that was truly worth every penny!

Room Tip: Patio poolside was great because you get served RIGHT OUTSIDE your door. Great for parents with kidd...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank scritchley
Pleasant Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Wonderful room (suite) with a great view of the ocean. Incredibly friendly and attentive staff. Every restaurant had well, interestingly prepared food, portion sizes were not huge and refreshingly adequately sized. Great week...I'll be back

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,022 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!