“At last! An all-inclusive that 'gets it'!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“At last! An all-inclusive that 'gets it'!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

What a refreshing experience this year at this wonderful place! No blaring microphones around the pool, no waiting in lines to make reservations for a meal 5 days from now, no 'phoney pretentious' wait staff! This lovely spot has wonderful restaurants that you can walk into at any time and receive the most attentive service and top-notch food. The resort is beautiful with your every need attended to (a pillow menu?). That said, if you are looking for a little more action you will need to hop on the little shuttle over to the sister resort where you can enjoy the night life, noisy pool scene, kids activities, and giant buffets. I wish it was on the beach but a 5 minute walk gets you there or you can take the shuttle to the sister resort and enjoy VIP service in a special area on the sand. Puerto Vallarta is a $17 cab ride.

Room Tip: If you have kids request the lower level with a walk out into one of the shallow pools. Also, a few...
2 Thank J K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
Ottawa, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We selected Marival Residences as our 25th wedding anniversary destination and it was a great. Service all around is excellent. All employees went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. They were very helpful with all our excursion questions and the pool side experience was one I could do everyday. Sunsets are beautiful. Only con was the need to replace shower heads in the residence.

Room Tip: Always ask for two mattress toppers for your bed. Corner suites have lots of natural light! Golf is...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Being extremely picky and hard to please people, there is a reason why we keep coming back to this resort over and over again. You will never find another resort of this caliber in this price range anywhere in the Caribbean. The food is simply outstanding. The staff trips over themselves just to serve you. Our room was so clean that I could eat off the floor.
The residences are pure luxury and very well kept. The pools are perfectly heated so you can swim in the evening as well as the day. At night the resort has beautiful lights all around the pool area giving it that magical feel as if you are in a story. My husband and I took great advantage of the pool at night when the lights went on. Then it was right into the hot tub.
The best thing about this resort is the food. I am a real foodie, so please trust me... The food is exceptional. You won't find a prime grade rib steak or shrimp the size of your fist, but what you will find is high quality great food. The saucier is a genius. The soups and sauces are top notch. Make sure not to miss out on the Sunday brunch. Every week on Sunday there is a wonderful buffet set up outside for brunch. There is even a woman who makes hand made corn tortillas by hand. Sundays tend to be very busy at this resort because Brunch is open to the public, so if you don't like busy then it would be a good idea to book a tour on Sunday. The roof top terrace has the best sunset view. They serve traditional and non traditional tapas. Items like Shrimp cocktail, empanadas, lobster potstickers, lamb chops, spring rolls , sliders are all freshly prepared just for you. The menu on the terrace never changes, but has many variety of specialties from different parts of the world.
The main restaurant has 3 rotating menus. The regular menu, italian menu and Mexican. Don't miss italian night, the lasagna and the oso bucco are to die for. During regular menu night, there are usually chef specialties such as prime rib or shrimp tempura. The outdoor restaurant always has something different every night. The resort calls it sign cuisine because each night, 3 appetizers, 3 mains and 3 desserts are written on the sign outside the restaurant. When the resort is at full capacity, they open up a second outdoor restaurant around the second palapa. This is a grill restaurant and serves what looks to be AA or higher grade cuts of steak, fish or chicken on the grill. The coffee here is out of this world, I forgot all about Starbucks here. The pastries could be better. I loved the quiet ambiance of this hotel, and the jazzy music. I loved the real hot tub and the Bali beds. I loved how clean my room was and that I could eat off the floor. I loved that nothing was ever stolen from my room. Honest people make all the difference. I even loved the turn down service and the nightly little treats on my pillow, and my slippers put out. So is this resort perfect? Absolutely not. The beds are as hard as rocks!! If you are used to sleeping on a firm mattress, then this will be a non issue for you. I am used to a plush kingsdown, so sleeping was a little difficult for me. You can ask for some pillow tops, or two, or 3 ... But the bed will still be super hard. My husband and I decided that we were going to boycott this resort until they got more comfy beds, but it did not last long. Everyone complains about the beds, but everything else about the resort more than makes up for this, and that is why we keep coming back.
The kids club does not keep long hours, and does not have the diversity and facilities of the giant resorts. However, the kids club staff are second to none, and my kids kept telling us to go away and come back later. Last year, we went to the hard rock with the best kids club and the kids refused to go. At the marival, My kids were begging to go. The staff just loves kids and they are great with them.
Do not let the fact that this resort is not directly on the beach deter you from coming here. It is a short ride on a golf cart to the VIP beach section of the sister resort. The photos don't lie. VIP beach club is fabulous. This resort got it right with the comfy cushioned chairs and the covered double beach beds. Don't miss out on the ceviche served in a coconut or the gazpacho at the beach club. If you don't like the golf carts, you can walk behind the hotel across the street to the beach just behind the hotel. They will need to buzz you in and out. You can walk for many hours on the beach. You can get free bicycles from the sister resort that you can ride around the surrounding area. There is also a free tourist bus that looks like a train that comes around ever 30 minutes or so. You can visit the paradise village mall for great italian gelato. Paradise village marina also has a reasonable priced water taxi that goes into PV. I think that it is 13 dollars per person. Bucerias is also another great place to visit if you are looking for souvenirs. You will find items cheaper than in PV. If you like to jog, there is a 3km bike and jogging path just outside of the gated area of the hotel. It is presently being expanded.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing. The 1 bedrooms have no tubs. The 2 bedrooms have tubs. Higher floors have...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bren K
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was by far the nicest resort I have ever been to and the BEST all inclusive I have ever experienced! The rooms were amazing - huge, modern and super clean. The service was fantastic - everyone went out of their way - the staff was incredibly polite and happy. The restaurants served gourmet meals, room service was delivered quickly and the food was hot. Drinks by the pool were flowing - it was great! We had 200+ people in our group and everyone I spoke to enjoyed themselves. I am spoiled for all other resorts now so of course we WILL be back! :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sooke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was by far one of the nicest resorts I have been to. We were with a group of about 200 people and they got us checked in and situated with no problems while we sat in the bar and relaxed. They catered to our every need and were more than accommodating. The only con I had was that the mattresses were a firm for my taste but I was told another guest complained and they brought a mattress pad up to them and it made a huge difference. Although the resort did not have direct beach access We found it not an issue. They had shuttles running to the VIP beach at the other resort every 15 minutes continually. By far the best Mexican vacation I have taken, can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Marival Residences in early October 2013 for 10 days with our children (3.5 and 6 months). Overall resort experience was fantastic – we travel a lot and this one is truly hard to beat.
Here is the breakdown:
Rooms – in one word – unbeatable, we had a top floor 2 bedroom residence and I could honestly live in a place like this. They are massive, really well appointed and the convenience of your personal pool cannot be underestimated especially with kids and in busier times. The views are amazing and well worth the extra $. We found beds to be very comfortable (though we sleep on a fairly firm mattress at home).
Food – food was truly amazing, I think the trick is to eat the local specialties (so anything seafood), they do fairly well with meat as well, but the seafood is out of this world. We ordered room service a few times and the food was also really good (it does cost a little extra (10%) but worth it at times). Our favorites were Omagio and Insu, Lemongrass was really good as well but a little too heavy for our liking. We ate most lunches at the beachclub (more on that below) and the food there was first class – no doubt.
Drinks – I was really curious about this one prior to the trip, here is complete breakdown. I like to drink wine and they have 6 wines covered by the all-inclusive package. 3 reds (Malbec, Cab and Carmenere), 2 whites (Chardonnay and Pinot Gris) as well as one sparkling (Get this one with your room service). All wines are probably fairly low cost but of pretty good quality and you could tell that someone spent some serious time picking out the better ones from the price point. They have fairly decent whiskeys and VS level cognacs included as well as some really good tequilas; the guys at the wine bar and up at Insu have some really good recommendations and the service was awesome. There are also many different local beers included, my personal favourite was Modelo Light – really light beer with some nice taste but low in alcohol so one can enjoy a few. Mixed drinks were fantastic – enough said.
Gym – this one was important to us and they do have a small but good facility on site. The gym has a few cardio machines and some cable weight machines with some free weight as well. The heaviest dumbbells are 50lbs and there are no barbells but the bottom line is that one can get a decent workout in and as far as hotel gyms go this one is pretty good. The gym at sister resort (more on sister resort later) was old but awesome, barbells, leg press, tons of serious old school equipment and tons of free weight, the best part was that nobody, literally nobody, goes so you have the whole place to yourself.
VIP beach club – incredible, you can spend a whole day there (which we did a few times), massive beds, great service (the guys and gals run around all day to make sure you are having an awesome time), awesome food and drinks. The beach was nice as well and we witnessed little turtles being born and crawling out of the sand on our last day which was fascinating. The fact that you have to take the shuttle didn’t bother us a single bit. If you are in a hurry just ask the security guy to call and the shuttle shows up in minutes.
Sister resort – typical loud, drunk, fun Mexican all inclusive. Has a nice kids pool with slides and lots of activities for adults if you are into that kind of thing. Food and drinks were typical for this class of hotel so we got ours at the VIP club. Nightly entertainment was pretty good but we mostly went for the kids portion and went back to residences after for late dinners. Overall the sister resort was OK but not comparable to the residences.
Service – service is truly fantastic. I would say that 90% of staff speak fluent English and the rest try really hard. Carlos was amazing as are the folks at the beach club. We tipped everywhere and I think everyone should. I don’t think you can beat the service here and most servers are genuinely really nice people. Also Mexicans LOVE children and our kids were getting lots of attention and great service.
To sum it up – it will be difficult to go anywhere else. The overall package is amazing and we highly recommend you visit soon and visit often.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Konstantin P
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My fiance had been all over Mexico prior to our honeymoon, where this was my first time in Mexico. We had looked at a lot of resorts and we were sold on Marival Residences based off of pictures posted by other guests and their reviews.

The pictures and reviews DID NOT disappoint. I am saddened to see that other travelers were not happy with their dining experienes at Marival Residences. My fiance and I have large palates as we enjoy eating many types of food. Omaggio did not disappoint. The eggs are FRESH, not like what you eat in the states. The pancakes and french toast were amazing. Our favorite dish by far was the Omaggio Eggs, an eggs benedict with a twist. A MUST TRY! Our service level was amazing. After day 1 staff knew our names and little things like that do make a difference in a vacation.

Upon arrival when we checked in we mentioned it was our honeymoon and they asked for our marriage license. Unfortunately we did not bring it with us because it was only the copy and we haven't received the real deal yet therefor we did not receive any of the little extras that other reviews have mentioned or their pictures displayed, which I must say as a new wife I was bummed out about! Theres one thing I am a sucker for, flowers and towel shaped animals--however the honeymoon had to go on!

Antonio had a smile on his face and was more than happy to show us the grounds and our room, he often made recommendations on where to go in Old Towne Vallarta as well as to the tourist friendly boardwalk. Patricia was beyond great when we were lounging around the pool. Often times I saw her tending to other patrons that were not in her section of service but she helped with a smile which is what kept up coming back. In Omaggio the staff is warm and friendly, Jesus, Guadalupe, and others were great and helped warm our experience at the resort.

In regards to the spa, we would of liked to have toured the spa facility prior to picking our service just to familarize ourselves with the location and its services, however the Russian Experience did not disappoint and the staff was happy to accomadate us to our session together in the Turkey Room--thank you!

If you enjoy sushi make a point to stop at Nicksan, the staff was great and for being in Mexico you would think you are in Japan with the sushi. It was some of the best we have ever had. Being from a large city it was up to par with many of the sushi restaurants we have at home. DEFINITELY A MUST TRY.

The sister resort is sub par, more for families and large groups. However the beach club was nice and the service was just as great there as it is around the pool at the resort. We did notice there were some non-Residences folks in the VIP area, for improvement I would recommend they keep a better eye on those coming in as they were rude and inconsiderate to those sitting around them.

The only thing that could of improved my vacation was on the days when the resort did fill up that the staff recognized those patrons that had already been there. We did have some service slip ups at those times. On two occassions we were left asking for water prior to our meal arriving and had to ask three different times prior to receiving a refill at times spanning about 20 minutes. The staff seemed to be overwhelmed at nighttime when the resort was full. We brushed it off and moved on however when its still in the 80's at night was no breeze and humidity, more water would have been a life saver. I know it seems like a little thing and it really was considering how great our experience was but the staff needs to remember little things like that even when they are busy even it means having a buser that has a pitcher on hand.

Last, there were many posts regarding tipping. We have grown up in the service industry due to serving and bartending in our high school and college years but also from an ownership perspective. We tip out of respect. The staff did not seem to expect tips but they were so grateful when they were tipped. I would say we had a 90% service experience from start to finish with the minor hiccups. The staff works hard and we were very happy to tip them because good service SHOULD be rewarded even at an all-inclusive. However, I will say we noticed not all tipped and that was OKAY. The staff still provided excellent service to all patrons. Do not feel obligated to tip however we tipped because they deserved it.

Overall we were very pleased-- we can't wait to come back next year with some of our friends!

1 Thank Tiffany K
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,622 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!