“Nice stay at Marival.. with a Canadian bent.”

Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Nice stay at Marival.. with a Canadian bent.”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just got back from a nice stay at the Residences and World Spa with a friend for 7 days. First let me tell you what this hotel is not. If you are looking for a place to party, have access to a beach right at the resort, have organized pool games on a regular basis, or have daily live entertainment and shows on site...this is not the resort....but you can have all that by getting on the shuttle that leaves about every 15 minutes at the front of the hotel to the sister resort 3 minutes away.
If you are looking for a hotel where you can hang by the pool and relax and read quietly, have some very good food, enjoy the clean kept, very nice rooms, and the excellent service overall, and have a relaxing get away then this ones for you. The top three things to like about this hotel is the food, the rooms/hotel, and the staff/service.
I traveled with a friend and we got to the hotel in the afternoon after getting to the airport from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. On arrival we were taken straight away to the wine bar(Brunello) for a drink as we were being checked into our room. We met with a representative who gave us details on the hotel though as we talked it appeared the conversation turned to a time share. Though he said it was not one, he said if we paid 20$US to sit through a presentation he could get us a sweet deal on a second excursion through the hotel.(You get one free excursion during your stay)... (TIP: The hotel offers ground transportation to and from the airport I was told for 25$US..you need to contact them through email for this.. I wish I knew this as I booked through expedia and used grey line for 37$ US per person) We never took up the 20$ offer by the rep so not sure if it was a good thing.
The rooms are very, very nice, and they all come with a kitchen area with a fridge, stove, sink, and washer/ dryer (tip: bring detergent). The beds are hard as you will see in other reviews but you can ask for a topper. The rooms have individual remotes for air conditioning in each room. Initially our fridge had no bottled water nor beer and it took two requests to get some. When it finally arrived we had enough to last our vacation twice over. We stayed in room 309 as an end unit. There were two TV's, two separate washrooms/shower areas in a one bedroom unit. We made use of the pull out sofa as an extra bed. I can't see why anyone would use the room kitchen ever because its an all inclusive and the food is so good.(TIP: try to get an ocean facing room level 5th or 6th floor as you probably will get a nice sunset view). Our room was quiet. The hotel I was told was at 60% capacity and I was told that was typical except between xmas and New Year when it is busy. The hotel was established in 2010. Many of the travelers I met had been there multiple times(It was my first visit).
The restaurants in which we used were Omaggio for breakfasts and some dinners, Lemongrass for lunch and some dinners, and Insu which is the roof top bar/patio/ with a great sunset view, for their smaller portions/appys. The wine bar Brunello was very quiet, but had nice conversation with Angel and Reuben who work there. they had many tips for us and our trip. (TIP: Go to the Insu infinity pool between 12 and 6pm for that's only when you can go into the water and have a drink and makes for a great photo op.) The two main restaurants , Ommagio and Lemongrass are beside the pool. Lemongrass is only open air and Omaggio is inside the hotel with a outdoor patio. Dinners can be had over candlelight. The dress code is "casual elegant" but as a guy you can wear shorts a polo shirt, sandals or even runners and get served. Your host at Lemongrass is Elias, and he was the most professional of all staff I came across while there. They often have special theme nights at their restaurants. The pools are nice and the grounds well kept. There is a spa that I did not use. They have one tennis court you can use and it looks in good shape. The gym is in a separate building with the spa. You can use it for free. I don't think very many people knew they had one as it was quiet. They have 4 treadmills, 2 bikes, elipticals, machine weights and some free weights. The equipment was life fitness and it was in good shape.
They have a VIP area roped off at the beach at the sister resort where you take the shuttle. You can get served drinks there , order some food, relax, and all the activities you may want like para-sailing, jet skiing, etc., are available from vendors for a fee.

As part of your stay you can pick one free excursion from about 6 offered. We chose the Yelapa and Majahuitas day trip through Vallarta Adventures. We also paid to do the Marieta Eco Discovery tour through them. Both trips were mediocre at best. They use Catamarran like boats that are two levels and they try to cram 150 people on them making it somewhat impersonal. I much more enjoyed the day excursions on the Cancun side of Mexico that were small and personable. The city of Puerto Vallarta tour was free for us through expedia. It was informative but if you buy anything at any of the stops things are expensive including the lunch you have to pay for ( 19$ US). On the Marietas tour while snorkelling I was bit by a jellyfish on my elbow and was in pain for 5 hours. If I were to go back I would look into the Rhythms of the night tour or the Outdoor Adventure tour through Vallarta Adventures.
TIP: for a day trip pay the 11$ one way cab fair and go visit the town of Buccerias. Have the taxi let you off at the flea market/beach area and restaurants. Go barter there at the flea market, we purchased many things here. For Canadians in particular there is and open area across from the hockey themed, thatched restaurant called Miguel Angel's (also highly rated in trip advisor) Relax, have a drink, some food, and a road hockey game with someone wearing a Calgary Flames Jersey might just break out in front of you. TIP: On your way back have the cabbie stop at a store called "betos" to get your tequila. Or., they also sell it at Walmart and Mega stores there. Buccerias was a wonderful side trip. If you want you can walk along the beach to get there(from the hotel). It would take about an hour so go in the morning before it gets hot. At Miguel Angel's you will see signed hockey jerseys and pictures, and often a musician playing music. We went on a Saturday afternoon. Miguel is friendly, likeable and sociable. The beach at Buccerias is nice with restaurants and there were two young Mexican girls offering massages for 350 pesos for one hour.
Was our stay at Marival perfect?? No... after reading all the reviews about the great food we were initially disappointed on our first dinner at the Omaggio. It was prime rib night which we ordered. It just was not very good. I am from Alberta and used to Alberta beef and keg steak. We made a comment about the poor quality on the comment card you fill after eating. To my surprise the very next day, after we returned from our day trip, We had a full bottle of red wine and a cheese platter waiting for us in our room. And an apology letter for the food we were not happy with. That was a class act by the hotel for us. Thereafter, we tended to steer away from the beef and the food was always excellent and they take pride in that. We also noted that fellow travellers did have to wait up to an hour for the shuttle bus to return from the VIP beach (they say every 15 minutes). And we also noticed that the VIP beach service was not that good if you go to the beach after 4pm.

But all in all we had a wonderful time and I would go back in a heartbeat, but next time with someone new for a romantic vacation with a female.... my endless search continues....any questions feel free to ask. Hope this review was helpful. Will try to answer your questions. Cheers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank niiloCanada
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting such an extensive, insightful review of our resort on this web site. We value guests' opinions and feel they also benefit other travelers when shared on line. It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

For the purpose of full disclosure, I want to start off by saying that I had nothing to do with the planning of this trip. I tagged along with my brother and his family, and his wife did all the research for Marival Residence Inn, and am I glad she picked this place! I read A LOT of the reviews after I booked, and so many of the reviews I read were so good, that a part of me thought they were fake. Now here I am writing the same glowing review...everything about this place screams or whispers "relaxation". It's such a short drive from the airport, and once you walk into the open lobby you are automatically greeted by some of the most customer service oriented staff you will ever come across.

First I will describe my room, I had a one bedroom suite with a garden view which was 1400 sqft, complete with full open kitchen, 2 full bathrooms and a deck accessible from the living room and bedroom. There were flat screen TV's in the living and bedroom, which was plenty for only one person. I was 100% satisfied with my room and not only the room service (which was part of the all-inclusive package) but the maid service was top notch as well. I don't think my room was ever less than perfect.

Second, the food as this place was amazing! I have never been on an all-inclusive vacation before, and thought that the term "all-inclusive" was code for "quantity over quality" but boy was I wrong. Omaggio was fantastic, we had breakfast there every morning and met so many wonderful people who worked there as waiters. Juan, Jesus & Manny are among the waiters that we really hit it off with, and saw regularly while we were there. Omaggio, had a great variety of food and if you wanted something that wasn't on the menu, that did not mean you couldn't have it. My brother, who turned 40 just days before we left really wanted to splurge and asked them if they can make him some fried rice with eggs, and some bacon, extra crispy and ask and you shall receive. The food quality did not stop there. All the food and drinks that were served poolside came from a restaurant called Lemon Grass was also incredible. I highly recommend ordering every type of civiche they offer, or just try all the seafood they have, because if you like seafood, you will be like a kid at a candy store at this place.

The pool(s) and other amenities were all fantastic, my brother had his 3 kids with him ranging in age from 10-3 and they felt completely comfortable having them in the pool and playing with all the other guests. This place forces you to relax, the setting almost leaves you no choice. Like other guests have commented on there is no direct beach access from this resort. The shuttle service that takes you to the sister resort called Marival Inn is available every 15 minutes or so, and is very convenient. The all inclusiveness is good at the sister resort as well, so you will enjoy all the same great service and food. There is a pretty noticeable difference between the 2, The INN is more crowded with a lot more activity while the RESIDENCES is more quiet, and seems like, at times that there are only a few people staying there even though you know that there is a lot more than that!

I can go on and on about this place, but the bottom line is that it was one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at, if you are on the fence about staying here stop deliberating and just book it. It has been almost a month since I've been back, and I still can't stop thinking about the place and especially all the great food and friendly people that work there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank victor l
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your vacation experience at our resort. We value our guests' opinions and we are delighted to see that we succeded in providing a unique and memorable experience to you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Spokane Valley, Washington, United States
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Couldn't be happier. Huge rooms. The most amazing dinner EVER at an all inclusive. ( we've been to 15+). 1st class all the way. Classy and and also very service oriented. Pool is pretty basic but food and service is above and beyond. Babysitters (reliable) are available. Pool dinning on 5th floor has amazing views. Going back again next year.

Room Tip: Get a two room if you have kids or ask for one if you booked a 1 bed room. They are all huge and nic...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ross S
Dear Traveler
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion about our resort on this web site. We value guests' reviews, particularly those coming from seasoned travelers like you. Thank you for rating us so high. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your vacation experience here. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The resort was billed as a high end, exclusive retreat from the busy area of Puerto Vallarta / Nuevo. It lived up to its billing! The check in could be a little more appealing as we ended up in the bar. the pool area is serene and quiet. Even the children that were around were pretty quiet.. who woulda guessed ha ha !! The restaurants were good, food good, wait staff excellent. The 1 bedroom overlooking the pool area was great. Clean, well appointed. Not on the beach however you can walk out the back of the hotel and a 5 minute walk will get you to a great beach. You can also take a shuttle to the sister resort and partake of the amenities there.. they have the VIP beach area and the staff there is wonderful, special kudos to Francisco aka Paco, Ernesto, and Karen.
Cabs are plentiful and inexpensive..
If you get the chance the resort a great retreat from the old grind!

2 Thank kaliki
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. Guests' opinions are valuable to us and they help other travelers when shared on line. We are pleased to read that our resort and staff met your expectations, as did our food and beverages. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
North Saanich, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was a little piece of heaven. We were so pleased with our experience at this all inclusive resort. The service was amazing and the employees were fantastic. Our room far exceeded our expectations. I have recommended to all of my family and friends and have already started making plans to come back next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2013

What a refreshing experience this year at this wonderful place! No blaring microphones around the pool, no waiting in lines to make reservations for a meal 5 days from now, no 'phoney pretentious' wait staff! This lovely spot has wonderful restaurants that you can walk into at any time and receive the most attentive service and top-notch food. The resort is beautiful with your every need attended to (a pillow menu?). That said, if you are looking for a little more action you will need to hop on the little shuttle over to the sister resort where you can enjoy the night life, noisy pool scene, kids activities, and giant buffets. I wish it was on the beach but a 5 minute walk gets you there or you can take the shuttle to the sister resort and enjoy VIP service in a special area on the sand. Puerto Vallarta is a $17 cab ride.

Room Tip: If you have kids request the lower level with a walk out into one of the shallow pools. Also, a few...
2 Thank J K
Ottawa, Kansas
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We selected Marival Residences as our 25th wedding anniversary destination and it was a great. Service all around is excellent. All employees went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. They were very helpful with all our excursion questions and the pool side experience was one I could do everyday. Sunsets are beautiful. Only con was the need to replace shower heads in the residence.

Room Tip: Always ask for two mattress toppers for your bed. Corner suites have lots of natural light! Golf is...