“Kid-Friendly Resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Kid-Friendly Resort”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Lots of excellent reviews already. Will try and keep this short. Went with wife, 2 year old, 8 month old and my mom (grandma). Only 6 floors to the resort -- we chose "pool view" which meant 2nd floor. Ocean view would put you on the higher floors. Stroller friendly with elevator.

Relatively small resort so great for those who like their privacy. Three a la carte restaurants ONLY. No buffet. No reservations necessary. Found that we did not have to wait for a table during any meal. Room service is available with an automatic 10% service charge (we also noticed that the prices in the room service menu was slightly higher than in the restaurants -- but if you're staying at this resort, you won't care). Food was better than I expected. Being from Canada, I enjoyed the Mexican dishes that I wouldn't necessary find here. Just a heads up -- after every meal at the a la carte, you will get a tab with a theoretical amount that you ate and then there'll be a spot for tipping. I have to admit, it made for many awkward moments as I'm used to tipping but having paid for the all-inclusive package, I was informed (after double-checking with the concierge) that our all-inclusive rate included tipping. We did end up tipping sometimes if we felt we had exceptional service but most of the time, we did not tip. Don't feel like tipping is mandatory, because it's not.

If you want to save a little bit of money, bring your own detergent because there is an ensuite washer and dryer. You can always purchase a pack of detergent in the hotel lobby shop for about $3 USD.

No beach on the premise but quick shuttle ride to a sister resort to use a reserved private portion of the beach. Beach service was nice. Kids had a good time building sand-castles. If you don't want to go to the beach, there's a walk-in swimming pool in the resort which my 2 year old enjoyed. Playground was a little lame but still occupied by 2 year old for 5-10 minutes.

Overall, very nice trip. We will probably explore other resorts but I would have no qualms coming back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2015
Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to know that our variety of food and drinks was granted as high quality, and that you enjoyed a relaxing atmosphere during your stay. Our mission is to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is great to know we did it. We're happy also to read that all our personnel pampered you with excellent service and attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I will start with the negative about Air Transat/Transat Holidays.... see below re: property.

My husband and I booked a vacation in Mexico with Transat Holidays. We were advised that the carrier was Enerjet and we needed to deal with them for seat selection etc. We packed as per Enerjet baggage allowance (2 extra items per kid including stroller, car seat, travel crib). My husband and I each had a suitcase, and for the kids, we had two small strollers and a travel crib. When we checked in at the airport, the staff advised us that we would be subject to the air transat baggage allowance, which is similar. It allows two extra items per child, but lists a stroller and car seat, and a crib is not listed. We did not use the maximum four items and our crib most certainly weighed less than and was smaller than the two car seats that the transat baggage allowance stipulated. However, the agents enforced the letter of the policy, and would not allow us to substitute the crib for two car seats. Therefore it was charged as extra baggage weight, which we were not expecting. And at the astronomical rate of $15 per kilogram!! We had requested cribs in the notes with our booking, but as you know, these cannot be guaranteed. And we tried to contact the resort all week prior to our departure and they either did not answer or did not return calls when we left messages. We have two 18 month olds and could not risk not having a crib for one of them. So we ended up paying $150 to bring our second crib with us!!

Funny enough, on the way home, no one batted an eye at the crib and we did not have to pay anything extra!!!

Marival Residences was beautiful and quiet and not crowded, much nicer than Marival Suites down the road. Although the Marival Residences is not right on the beach, you can access the VIP section of the beach at Marival Suites within 5 minutes on a shuttle that is available 24 hours. The staff and food and service were lovely. The pools were beautiful and well-kept. There is a kids pool, which was really nice and low key - no extra slides or waterfalls, good for our 19 month olds. Great if you want to relax, not great if you want to party, although again, you can shuttle over to Marival Suites if you want to party there. Would definitely go back to the property, but not with Transat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ML77710
Dear Traveler,

We're very sorry for the inconvenience you had with your travel agency.
Looking forward to have you back in the near future. Thanks for highly recommend us.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my first time leaving the US and I am so thankful that I got to spend it at the Marival Residences & World Spa! I went with a friend who is a travel agent and she told me that I am totally spoiled now. If I am, I want to be spoiled everyday! I want to live at the resort!
Our stay was fabulous. We had a top floor penthouse with a beautiful ocean view (wonderful sunsets) and our own plunge pool. Our suite was huge and so clean.
The pool area was wonderful and so relaxing and at times it seemed like we were the only ones in the pool!
Food and drinks were so good, the menus different at all 3 restaurants and breakfast at INSU was delicious.
A person could definitely get used to being pampered by the the incredible service and by a staff that does whatever they can to make your vacation experience the best ever.
I loved our time there, can't wait to go back and would totally recommend the resort to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: If you can, stay in a penthouse! Just Heaven!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dyan H

Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My family and I mostly highly recommend the Marival Residences and World Spa. The facilities and food are luxury class. What sets the Marival about any other is the quality, friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. We felt as we were among friends who were truly eager to ensure we had a most excellent experience. They expressed a genuine interest in us and they responded in kind to our interest in them as people. We would most like to single out Fernando. His service in the Omaggio went far beyond simply making it the best of all our many vacations. We were treated as if honored quests in his home. ... Also earning special compliments for outstanding service and friendliness are Jacky, Vanesa and Fabian at the Beach Club. Miriam,hostess at the Resort's Casa Bella, is a delight. She brightened our day.

Thank you Marival. We are much are looking forward to our next vacation and the delightful, genuinely kind people of the resort and residences.

Room Tip: Stay above the 3rd floor if you wish an ocean view or on the first floor in the main tower for direc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to know that our variety of food and drinks was granted as high quality, and that you enjoyed a relaxing and luxury atmosphere during your stay. Our mission is to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is great to know we did it. We're happy also to read that all our personnel pampered you with excellent service and attention. Thanks for remember their names, for sure they consider you family.
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited The Marival Residences & World Spa in March 2013!! It was over the top excellent! We were there with our 15 year old son and about 80 friends and family!!!! From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty!! The staff was exceptional for our entire stay. The 1600 square foot 2 bedroom suite was breathtaking. We loved the food! The salmon by the pool was awesome. We ordered late night room service a few times and it was delicious. We loved the VIP Beach area. It is just a short golf cart ride away. There is food and beverage service at the beach! Our 15 year old and his friends like having access to the sister property as well. It was a little more casual with more teenager activities throughout the day and night! Carlos and the entire staff were great! We will definitely go back!! Thank you marival!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Okiebeachgirl43
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2015
Dear Traveler,

We feel very pleased to know that you, your son and family and friends had a wonderful time at our Resort. Thank you for writing such a positive review on our website; it really energizes the team when we read comments such as yours. Thanks for highly recommend us. We'll be looking forward to serve you again.
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Classy little resort tucked away in a quiet residential neighborhood surrounded by million dollar homes. While it lacks a beach, the sister resort down the street has a luxurious area of the long sandy beach set aside for guests from Marival. The concierge is very helpful and friendly, easily accessible and willing to help.

The resort has a personal touch, offers gourmet food unlike many Mexican resorts and includes activities in it's plans.

The rooms are HUGE. We had a 900 sq ft apartment for the 4 of us and it was luxurious. I recommend one on a higher floor so you have a view or the penthouse rooms so you can have your own pool. Even though we went in peak season, the resort was never crowded and we had the pool to ourselves most of the time.

It was offered a discount on a future visit for prepaying. I wish I had taken it, because my family wants to go back.

Room Tip: High floor if you want a view, penthouses if you want your own pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for writing such a positive review on our website; it really energizes the team when we read comments such as yours. We appreciate that you have us on mind when you plan your next vacation. It is such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the facilities, activities, rooms and pools. Thanks for highly recommend us. We'll be looking forward to have you here, at your home in paradise.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This trip was taken by me and a friend who had never left the country. As a travel agent, I am spoiled. Marival Residences is beyond paradise, a dream come true!
First things first- a private transfer to the resort through midweek city traffic was as expected; crazy traffic, long waits, etc. But looking around was interesting as I had never been to Nuevo Vallarta- the area about 30 minutes north of downtown Puerto Vallarta. It is a resort area with restaurants and shopping popping up - nice long boulevards with high end homes nestled in between the resorts. There are a lot of condo developments and timeshares, so this area is a mixed use area which is nice because it does offer options for going off the resort and is a very safe area.
Then we arrive at the Marival. We are ushered in to the Brunello Wine & Lobby Bar. It is cool and while we wait for our check-in, we are offered a drink. Yes, please! Check in is simply the confirmation of our names with a short form and then we get the fabulous macramé bracelet with the Marival logo- our key to entry into both the Marival Residences and the Marival Resort & Spa.
We are led to the elevator and quickly reach the sixth floor where we are shown to our two bedroom penthouse. This place is huge (1711 sq. ft.) and it's obvious a designer splashed fashionable decor all over the place. After been shown the master bedroom and mine, we are led to the rooftop plunge pool area where the ocean view and crashing waves stir a feeling in me that I cannot explain- delight? excitement? awe? Yes, all of those!
But it is warm and we are in need of food and a swim! We change and head down to Lemongrass, the poolside bar and dining. Oh my goodness! I am a very picky, "I want organic and meatless fare" eater while my companion is a burger and fries steak eater. You really couldn't find two more different palates. The menu had so many choices for both of us that it was hard to decide so let's start off with the food!
DIning-
Day one- meal one: I finally opted for the white sea bass ceviche, the watermelon gazpacho and the seafood tostada. And then I did it. When the seafood tostada arrived, I tried octopus. And gulp, I liked it. All of the food was so wow, that is just a sample of how incredible the food choices were. Also memorable from the food and beverage were the mojitos, the tequila shrimp and the grilled scallops sandwiched between grilled banana slices. Do you get what I'm saying here? Over the top! As a very picky and very spoiled travel agent, I can only say that I was never unhappy with anything I ordered and that is saying a lot. I am the first person to go- ummm, it was okay. I never had an okay moment- they were all wonderful surprise moments.
Ommagio- the ala carte on the ground floor that had themed nights. Always gourmet and absolutely incredible.
Insu- our home away from home where breakfast on the rooftop was an everyday happening. This had a breakfast bar but because of the omelet station and how menu items changed daily, I refuse to lump it in with the buffet category. An elegant breakfast in silver chafing dishes with a snap crew of servers. I have never been happier to have breakfast in my life. Ever. Oh, and did I mention this is where the rooftop plunge pool is and dinner is also served here? One floor up from our penthouse, every time we left the room- the aromas drifting down had us in heaven.
Lemongrass- the place I tried octopus, my friend tried gazpacho and other things she would never try at home. The place where the waiters worked hard to provide a level of attention and service that paralleled the wide variety and high quality of food selections. Again, heaven. I can't say it enough.
Nick San and Dstock gourmet are in the building with the spa and gym. These are an extra charge for anyone who has the all-inclusive package - $30pp for Nicksan and $10pp for Dstock. The menus looked interesting but we never tried them.
Room service is 10% of menu prices for all-inclusive packages.
For the VIP Ocean Club dining, see below in the ocean section.
The resort itself- this would be comparable to the preferred club section of the sister property, Marival Resort & Spa. This is a true Four Diamond resort and on par with the Waldorf-Astoria and JW Marriott in Panama, hands down the nicest places ever. What made this just a tad nicer was that it does have the all-inclusive option. This is fine living, fine dining and a truly bespoke environment. The staff was always right there with anything you could need or want. The place was spotless. There was never a feeling of being crowded; in fact it often felt like we were the only ones in the pool. Beautiful landscaping and lighting throughout and best of all? No buffet. That's right, no buffet. I am not a buffet lover, so right then I knew I had found my resort home.
Accommodations- everything from three bedroom villas with their own private pool to swim-out rooms, to yes, the penthouses with their own rooftop plunge pool all of them handsomely appointed and spacious. Whoever designed this place is a champion in every way.
Pool area- the pool is long and divided by a dining palapa .It has a zero gravity entrance on one end and this is where the families with little kids hung out. The other end is near the spa like Jacuzzi and is where we spent hours lolling in the sun, eating and ordering drinks. It was so relaxing!
Spa and gym- eight specialty spa rooms that are world themed; very nice and quite high in price. When we toured it, it was empty so a suggestion- lower the prices a little for more business. The gym was nice with a good mix of equipment. Pilates and yoga were an extra price.
Ocean- well, here's the kicker. This is not on the ocean but a block off of it. What's in between you and the ocean? A nice stretch of beautiful homes. Beach access is at the sister property and is a two minute shuttle ride away. The other choice is to walk about two hundred yards out of the gate in the back to find the path to ocean access and then a 15 minute stroll up the beach. Once you're there, the VIP Beach Club has wait service for food and drinks, Bali beds and lounge chairs galore. Again, the food was amazing. There is a bit of a walk through the Marival Resort to catch the shuttle, but it makes for interesting people watching at the swim-up bars and dining areas.
Families/multigenerational- With the wide variety of accommodations, there is something for everyone here. The zero entry pool and fountain area next to it kept kids enthralled. The kid's club was really nicely decorated and had something for kids up to the age of twelve or so. Keep in mind though that this place is quiet and elegant. If you want a lot of entertainment, to go snorkeling, or go to the disco, that is all next door at the sister resort. This place is ideal for travelers who are used to the best of everything and like it delivered with understated elegance. A four bedroom unit was holding an open house because it was for sale. This place listed for $1.25 million and looked to be worth every penny.
Who else would love the Marival Residences? Anniversary couples, honeymooners, golf groups, girl getaways, families traveling together, food snobs, etc.
Well, to go on would just be redundant. It is everything all the reviews say it is and more. I had a little pity party the morning of my return because the Raisin Bran was not delivering that wow factor I had enjoyed.
A special thank you to Mirian, who gave us the site inspection and to Bea who was away at the time. Guillermo in the Lemongrass and of course, Carlos, the best concierge ever. I don't know if I can ever go anywhere else again and be happy. Being spoiled is a superb thing only if the level of spoiling experienced can be replicated. Where and when that will be possible for me is something I don't quite know. I do know I yearn to return again and again.

A couple of suggestions-
Add a swim-up bar
Lower spa prices and offer the Pilates and yoga at no extra charge
Switch out the beds to something a little softer
Figure out how to keep the crazy blackbirds from pestering the guests
Include Wifi without an extra fee

Room Tip: Pay for the penthouse. It is worth every penny and then getting to Insu for breakfast is only a floo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Gail H
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for writing such a positive review on our website; it really energizes the team when we read comments such as yours. We appreciate that you have us on mind when you plan your next vacation. It is such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the facilities, activities, rooms and pools. Our mission is to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is great to know we did it. We're happy also to read that all our personnel pampered you with excellent service and attention.