“Amazing place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Frisco, Texas
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The level of customer service at Marival Residences was amazing. Everyone is so friendly and wanting to help in any way. The restaurants have great food and the staff are always at the ready to take an order or take away an empty plate. I have NEVER had such great customer service than I did at Marival. The entire place from the rooms to the pool and pool deck is kept clean. It is family friendly with areas for little kids too. If you ever need or want anything all you have to do is ask one of the many employees. This is not on the beach, but a short golf cart ride gets you to the sister site where you have your private beach area. I really have nothing but good things to say about this place. I would give it more then 5 stars if I could.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at Marival Residences for 4 nights with my wife and 28 year old daughter. Had a 2 bedroom luxury sea-view apartment which was clean and adequate, but 2nd bedroom was small with no windows or view; most disappointing.
We found the quality of food very good, but restaurant options very limited. The system of payment, with the requirement to sign for each meal or drink consumed was cumbersome to say the least and impossible to keep track of; a really ridiculous system.
Service was haphazard, ranging from good to poor.
The biggest problem that we had was that wifi is not included in the all-inclusive price; we discovered that they charged an effective $15.00 per day per instrument for wifi access and did not disclose that wifi was free for a limited time at the adjacent Japanese restaurant and coffee shop. For a resort of this nature, we felt this cost and non-disclosure to be really outrageous.
As the resort is inland, its private beach, accessible by shuttle was the best experience we encountered; the swimming was outstanding and service and food adequate to good.
All in all, a bit of a disappointment.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank liberty08
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We deeply regret not being able to meet your expectations.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed the food quality that we offer. However, we are sorry you found the restaurant options limited since we try hard to offer a wide variety of culinary experiences in the restaurants on site. Omaggio, our international gourmet restaurant, offers different theme nights with a special dish every night plus the grill steak section. Lemmon Grass, our signature cuisine poolside restaurant with a different recipe each night and cooking show, the Insu Sky Lounge that offers a stylish dinner with appealing appetizer offerings. You can also enjoy our 3 specialty restaurants located at the sister property since you have free access to the all the facilities. Reservations are needed and taken by our Concierge and we recommend making them in advance, especially in high season, since they have limited spaces reserved for our Residences´ guests.
In reference to signing the consumption check at the end of your meal, is certainly part of control procedure since our restaurants are also available for non-guests.
Thank you for your comment regarding your disagreement about the Internet fee, as you may know this is an additional service available for your better comfort but not part of the extensive inclusions in our package.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Please contact us to customercare@marivalgroup.com for any special request and kindly accept our assurance that everything will be done to give you entire satisfaction.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights. Facility is nice and clean. Staffs are hit or miss but most were misses. Let me start with the waiters, service is too long and very slow, they also make lots of mistakes delivering you wrong orders. Restaurants are just okay and food are not really exceptional, O'Maggio offers one new menu each night in addition to their regular menu. Lunch are all the same everyday. Insu offers good appetizers at night but really don't offer a full meal. LemonGrass has basically the same menus every night. Their Grill section has good steaks. If you are a drinker, you'll enjoy their top shelves liquor.

Pool is ordinary and I would say it was designed for the kids. This pool is not really intended for adults. There isn't really anything to do after 09:00 pm, you have to go to their other property for entertainment. There is a shuttle and it will take about 2-3 minutes. Beach at the sister hotel is nice but very crowded (there isn't any beach at Marival Residences).

Property location is far from downtown Puerto Vallarta. If you want to go downtown, you can take a bus which will take more than an hour due to numerous stops, or you can take a taxi costing about $260 pesos one way. It was really a hassle doing excursions because you have to provide your own transportation from the hotel to the attractions and it costs a lot of money. If you intend to stay at the resort, this would be fine but you will get bored since there isn't any activity at this property.

Internet has a fee ($150 a day or $735 a week) which is very slow, and always stop and freezes especially at peak hours. As other reviewers mentioned, it's 2014 now and internet should have been offered free considering that this is an all-inclusive hotel.

Check-in went fast without any significant delay. They will lead you inside one of their restaurant and offer you drinks then they will explain everything about the resort. Then they will invite you to a timeshare presentation which we declined. They will also force you to sign a sheet stating that you are liable to pay $50 (US dollars) in case you lose your bracelet (there isn't any way not to sign this as they won't check you in even if you already paid your whole stay). Unfortunately, my kid lost his at the beach while playing with the waves and we ended up paying $50. They said that they are doing this because people sometimes would pick it up and use it. But I countered that it's a kid bracelet (color coded- green for adults, and white for kids) and the likelihood of a child picking it up and wearing it and presenting him/herself to the property to take advantage of their free food or drink is nil or impossible. They won't just listened. I was able to talk to the night manager, Luis Silva, I explained everything to him, asked if they could at least give me a discount on the lost bracelet but they won't budge in. So don't ever waste your time talking to the manager, they are useless, they don't have the prerogative or the authority to waive or discount any fees. They don't believe in the effectiveness of word of mouth advertisement. They don't care if you recommend them to your friends or not. They don't even care about this tripadvisor review as one manager commented (she said I can write anything I want and they wouldn't care about it). I have the impression that customer service at management level is reserved to the top level (CEO or President of the resort). The on-site managers were just powerless.

Clientele is mostly locals from neighboring cities in Mexico (around 80-90%), which I didn't really mind.

I definitely will not recommend this property to my friends. It's too far, entertainment value is non-existence, foods are mediocre except for the Grill steaks. You will end up spending more with the additional transportation to go to excursions. Customer service is a hit or miss but mostly misses, and very slow. Managers are useless and can't help you at all. They are not sensitive to any kind of reviews. Only good thing is this is a newer property with clean facilities. And of course, if you are a drinker, they offer good choices of alcoholic beverages.

I just would like to give kudos to three people who made our stay more bearable, thanks to Nadia (head waitress) from O'Maggio who kept on checking on us while waiting to their snail-pace service assuring us that our waiter is coming to get our orders. To Tania from customer service who booked our free tour. And to Eduardo, the taxi driver who drove us numerous times to our excursions. They were excellent workers and should be in the managerial positions instead of those useless/powerless managers.

I am giving this property 1 star not because I am sour-graping for the $50 bracelet fee that we paid. Facts (pros and cons) are mentioned above and sensitivity to customer plea or complaints in my belief should be one of the outmost priority of the hospitality business which this resort lacks. Anyway, what can a single negative review do to a company who doesn't believe in the power of reviews and feedbacks, I am just a number...and so you'll be.

7 Thank trepi123
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. We find this information to be very valuable and we welcome any opportunity to improve.
It is so regrettable that a smaller inconvenience like the charge of a lost bracelet affected your whole stay with us, especially since you were informed about this charge at the check in and the quality of our services is supported by our satisfied guests’ comments.
We are sorry that you felt a lack of good caring by our managers on duty. We would love to have the chance to host you back again and prove you how much we care about our repeat guests. Kindly be advised that the general management is willing to assist you personally anytime in order to fulfill your needs.
Please be so kind to contact us to customercare@marivalgroup.com prior to your next visit in order to help you with any special request and make your stay more enjoyable.
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Residences part of the Marival resort and it was very nice. The rooms/suites were amazing and the meals were excellent. I have stayed at all inclusives before, and found the system of tracking things at the Marival somewhat cumbersome. We had to wait for a check after each service to sign off with our room number--this has not been the process at other all inclusive resorts that I've stayed, but that might not be the norm. The residences are not beach front, so you have to take a golf cart or van to the other Marival location. It's a little confusing at first, but we soon found out there is a special section of the beach for those staying at the Residences vs the Beach resort where the beach service was excellent and very accommodating. Overall, a nice stay. The service at the restaurants/bars on the resort was much better at the residences. La Pergola, a supposedly high end restaurant at the beach resort, was awful.

Room Tip: Stay at the Residences, and not the beach resort for much nicer accommodations.
2 Thank s_biehn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Saturday and followed advice from travel agent on airport arrival. Do not talk or stop in white timeshare area after customs!! They will try to trick you by acting as hotel reps. Do not stop! Time waster!
Once we arrived at Marival Residences, we were taken to wine bar and treated to drinks and time share info. We decided to pass even with free goodies. We talked to other families and they attended the presentation which lasted 6 hours not 90 minutes as we were told. We passed on free items to save time. The hotel is beautiful and so clean. It has to be cleanest place I've ever stayed. We are here with family ranging from 60 to 12. We are picky and so pleased with accommodations. The maids spend a lot of time each day and we tip $4 to $6 a day. The food has been awesome and we have so enjoyed every meal. The selection is unique even with younger kids who are picky and have food allergies. The resort does not have beach access but we have really not minded. It's a quick trip to sister resort. The concierge have been helpful booking excursions and special dinners in PV. The beds are very hard but you can order a mattress topper which has been a life saver. Service at pool has been very quick to slow at times even with tipping. We tip as staff works very hard. We are on day 3 and it has been an awesome trip so far!!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kelley B
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have never been treated so well while traveling! Everyone was extremely helpful and kind. Not 15 minutes went by without someone asking if we needed anything. The staff became more like friends by the end of the trip. The food was incredible! There is also full washer and dryer in each room. No need to pack so much. Just need swimsuits and a few changes of clothes.

Room Tip: While visiting other friends in their hotel rooms, I would say they we all the same, very nice, clea...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracy N
Chula Vista, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just got back from NPV from a 6 day stay at the Marival Residence Resort with my with and 16 year old teenager. This is a great hotel with pros and cons that are listed below.
Pros:
1. Outstanding service by the personnel.
2. Has 3 restaurant on site with excellent cuisine. If you are a discerning eater like I am and abhore the feed the cattle attitude of most All-inclusive resorts, then you will enjoy your stay here.
The food is the best part of this hotel in my opinion. You can in addition, opt to visit the suites part of the hotel and restaurants, but requires a reservation, in 6 days we did not feel the urge to try the additonal restaurants. There is a breakfast and lunch outdoor buffet from Thrusday through Sunday.
3. The Spa is second to none.
4. Rooms and Resort are extemely well kept and clean. I was expecting a large room but what were pleasantly surprise by the size of the rooms. In reality they are full apartments. We had what appeared to be a 2 bedroom condo, with a full balcony. Great accomodations.
Cons:
1. For a hotel of this class I was disappointed that it did not have a business center in the residence portion of the resort. Wi-Fi access is close to 15 dollars a day. I have been to places in India with a 1/3 of the infractructure of Mexico and they provide free WI-FI access at least on a limited basis in the lobby or business area. So, I find it disturbing in this day and age that this resort will not provide some limited access to the internet and find the prices they charge for access obcene.
If you need infrequent access to wi-fi, I recommend their Bistro (named "D") next to the hotel where you can spend the money on wine and gain access to their network for free, better yet find a Starbucks, they are all over in PV.
2. They try to get you on a sales tour (time shares) of their resort. I did not attend the presentation since I have been a victim of wasting my time on those in the past, but the continous request to attend gets annoying after a while. They do promise some goodies, that may appeal to some, I was not interested.
3. Ther is no direct beach access. To go to the beach area you need to catch a golf cart ride to the suites side of the resort where there is a VIP section for guest of the "residence" side of the resort. I must say that the food and service is exceptional as well in the VIP section.

In conclusion, the only reason I did not rate this hote a 5 whas for the con's listed above. Overall, I would return and recommend this hotel. Great service, great food and excellent location. It is as close to perfect as you can get, but it needs to address the issues above, for me to give it a full 5 rating.
Cheers!

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
5 Thank Luis L
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,028 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!