“Gorgeous but...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Montréal
“Gorgeous but...”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have never seen such a beautiful room...'cos they are not rooms, they are apartments! 2 bathrooms, 2 showers, 2 separate prep. rooms! Amazing! My best friend and I booked at the Marival Resort & suites but when qe got there, it was in the middle of the national vacations. So lots of locals (no problem there) with lots of kids! (There is a problem when 2 single girls are travelling without kids).
As we arrived, we also noticed the lack of shade on the beach. Not a lot of palm trees, a few umbrellas and not that many chairs either.
Our 1st room at the Resort & suites was facing the center pool with the animation and kids, kids and more kids screeming.

So we asked the young lady at the front desk of the "CLUB" lobby if anything else was available. Nothing on site was. But...she said a "suite" would be at the Marival Residence Luxury...for no extra charge. But...this place as no direct access to the beach. We would have to take a shuttle from the Marival Luxury to the Marival Suites and get access to the "private" part of the beach with personnal service to our chairs, reserved to the Luxury members.. (Hummm....it took us about 2 seconds to decide!)

So we repacked our suitcases and took the shuttle for the Luxury.

Well...that was the best move we ever did.

First: the check in is not done at the front desk. They take you in the bar, offer you a drink and then someone comes to meet you. Sitting down, explaining all the access, privileges you get from the Marival Residences Luxury resort. They try to get you to go to meetings presenting the available condos on sale.

Privileges
You don't need to reserved at restaurants for dinner. They're is always food available somewhere and let me tell you, its good food. Not those meaningless grilled cheeses.. An "à la carte" menu all the time. Bar, restaurants or pool restaurant (lemon grass) you will eat well.

Food is great no mather where you stay. We tried the restaurant at the marival resort and suite, and it ot a buffet either. À la carte menu for lunch, salad bar and dessert bar.
but when you have access to the private part of the beach, the menu you'll find is even superior then what you are used to at the beach. Try the schrimp cocktail, the coconut ceviche and all the sea food you can get. The rest is very salty so stick with the sea food.
On that section, Francesco is amazing. I would almost call him a concierge more then a waiter, He's that good.
The suttle between the resort is very efficient...every 10 to 15 minutes.

Weither
We went from aug 7th to aug 14th. It was 33 degrees + humidity = 43-44 degrees. WAY TOO HOT !!! Be aware, the sun is very intense from 5 to 7 o'oclock at night!!! I got sun burn on my first night, while in the pool try to cool down from my travelling.

Activities
To our surprise, it's very slow in the morning.You can get breakfast early but nothing else is happening on the resorts. Nothing before 11 am.
No bars, no chair services...so no need to rush!

Ocean
You are on the pacific side of the country. The ocean it vigourous. Waves coming in strongly to the shore. it Took me a fes day to realize I had to get over the waves (deeper in the sea) to get some calmer waves and cooler temperature.
It's not the Carabean sea, you wont see you toes once you are in the water!!! Sand and see weeds cover your body. I had to walk almost 50 feet into the ocean to get clear water but still could not see my toes ;)
At this time of year, water must of been 90 degrees. It was very very warm.Not refreshing.

Staff
Very kind, polite, slow. They are on the mexican beat as they say. It takes time to get whatever you asked for.
The concierges are great. Lobby, pool (good words for the pool concierge Lucio, Indiana Jones white hat, standing by the pool from 10 am to 7 pm at the Luxury residences. He is all eyes on whats happening, very customer oriented and always available to please you.

Internet
It is expensive...60$ for 1 device, for 7 days. If you don't take it on a daily basis, it's even worst if i remember correctly.

Rooms/apartment/condo
Well...i might repeat myself but....it was great! One gigantic bed (king size), private room, closed doors for bathrooms and showers. Washer, dryer, kitchen, appliances, room service (10% extra).

Annoying
Ths signing of every food order. When ever there is food, you will have to sign a "receipt" or invoice. It's for accounting purposes, you will not be charge but it gets a bit annoying. You feel pressured to leave some tips, when they dont even give you a great service. Maybe its just me, it made me unconfortable many times.

Nightlife
If you want some, you need to go out. Nothing is happening at the Luxury. Get the shuttle, go see the show at 9:30 pm at the Theater of the Residence & suite. Every night, there is a theme (Italian, Mediterraneen, Tex Mex, Disco...) you will know if you ask. We never knew since we ate at Insu or by the pools at the Residences every night. Our last night, we went to the italian restaurant (that was great food!). When we decided to get a last drink at the bar of the "Club" side, we found out all the action the after show was bringing.
Nice and fun, very family oriented. Cute.

Some people were taking a taxi to the city and would have dinner in the city. I did not go. Apparently, 15 minutes and 15$ for the cab ride. Great restaurants and clubs, not expensive.

Beach
Lots of vendors; jewelry, hats, sunglasses, dresses, hairdos and "quality junk". This Gustavo guy sales you his statues as "more junk" and "quality junk". He is hilarius and fun to chat with. Most of them are nice and polite. When you tell them "No thanks" they respect you're decision.

Breakfast
Go to the indoor restaurant. This is where you will find the best choices. The other ones are limited. Insu on the rooftop is an amazing view but the food not hot and not so great. it depends what kind of breakfast you like.

Towel
They are at the beach, at the pool, on every chair. Very nice.

Pools at the Residences & Luxury
There is a "sun's cream kart" by the bar. It's the first time i see this. All king of sun block you can use.You go, take some cream or spray yourself and go back to your business!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view on the sunset. Amazing!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nan_40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
Woodland, California
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were originally staying at the Marival resort but when we got there they put us in a room with two double beds when we had booked a king. I went to talk to Marietta from concierge. She was so helpful and wonderful to us and got us a room at the Residences the next day. My family of 5 fit wonderfully in the room that had a full kitchen and washer dryer. Even though the Residences is not right on the beach we could see it from the balcony and enjoyed every minute of this beautiful hotel. It's only a 4 minute drive to the resort and golf carts and vans were readily available to take us there. Rene from the restaurant ,Omaggio, went out of his way to make sure each meal was a wonderful experience for us. A huge thanks to Marietta for helping us out and changing our room. We will definitely return next year!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Signek123
Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Marival Residences for the first time from August 3rd to August 10th. This was also my first time in the Vallarta area, however my parents have been there around 10 years ago. The resort is only about 15 minutes away from the airport, which is extremely convenient. Upon arrival at the residences, we were greeted and directed to Brunello where we were given drinks and checked in.

The rooms themselves were beautiful, but when we booked the trip we were told that we would either have an ocean view room or access to the private pools. The room we received had neither. Our view was of the tennis court or the street, which wasn't anything special. We requested a room change, but couldn't be accomadated until Wednesday, so this was a bit frustrating. Eventually, we just forgot about the room because we weren't really in it too much aside from sleeping anyway.

Let's take a second to talk about all of the food. WOW! We ate at Omaggio twice for dinner and for breakfast every morning. Not once did it disappoint. It was FANTASTIC! Insu is another place that is a must because the tapas are all unique and extremely tasty. Lemongrass is the restaurant that serves poolside and their menu is kind of limited, but also very good. The drinks throughout the restaurant were made to perfection and the bartenders were always lively. The servers are extremely animated as well.

I expected the pool to be a bit quieter, as there were tons of unruly kids splashing and running around screaming. We spent most of our days at the beach instead, and since we became owners, we had access to the members-only beach club which was exquisite. The servers came around about every 15 minutes for drink or food orders and were kind as could be. The food was fantastic here, as opposed to the regular residences only beach section, which was also good, but very limited. The water was extremely warm and the beach was very clean. The vendors on the beach were also polite, meaning that if you said "no thank you", they left you alone for the rest of the day. We actually made friends with one of them, Gonzalez, selling his "quality junk". He was super friendly and continuously cracked jokes with us.

The restaurants at the resort part were also good, but obviously not as good as the residences. Amalfi and Palomas were delicious. Amalfi, the Italian-ish restaurant was absolutely delicious. The waiters were very friendly and we always had full glasses and food in front of us. Palomas, the Mexican restaurant, was fantastic. The atmosphere was fun and the decor was authentic and attractive. The special margaritas were delicious, along with the food. Some of the best Mexican food we've had in a long time. Pergola on the other hand was not great. The servers would disappear for long times and the food wasn't too good. The "house wines" were also hardly drinkable.

My mom and I also got gift certificates for the spa and we got two massages each. They were fantastic!! We also got a tour of the unique country-themed rooms and thorough explanations of each of these unique massages. If we didn't have the other certificates, we would have definitely tried these out.

Overall, this was the best family vacation we've had in a long time. The residences is our top choice of vacation and we will most definitely be returning multiple times, especially now that we are owners there. I would absolutely recommend this resort to everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kayla L
Perth
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I am unbelievable late writing this review but really wanted to get it out there that this place is FABULOUS! I went with my hubby, best friend and family for ten days and each and every moment was perfection. Every resort should strive to be as good as this one. The staff were wonderful, food was incredible, and facilities superb. We were treated like royalty and had some great chats with staff that made our stay feel so welcoming. I will be back this fall and probably every one after that :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelBugBC6
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at the Marival residences last February. Huge room with two full baths and a kitchen. The food was great, the bar at the top of the building, Insu, was fantastic. Small plates/tappas. It's not on the beach, but it's only a 10-15 minute walk to get to our beach area (there also was a shuttle if you don't want to walk). The beach area was great, lots of palapas and beds... the beach service for food and drink was the best we've ever had. I wrote down the name of our servers (which I just found in my wallet, so I'm finally getting around to writing a review....) Angel, Francisco, Karen and Ernesto. Always there when you needed them, and after couple days anticipated what we wanted. The Marival right on the beach didn't look like it was as nice as the residences. As long as you know you're not right on the beach, it's a fantastic place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gdarb
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This resort has the Hardest working Staff I've ever seen. Very Secure and Safe. Great for the Family, Friends, or Couples. First Class service from housekeeping to wait staff. Must Go All - inclusive. I Never took my wallet out till I settled on my tips at checkout. As for the World Spa, Soo much Attention to Detail , I Dare you to take the Spa Tour.........

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jay C
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The level of customer service at Marival Residences was amazing. Everyone is so friendly and wanting to help in any way. The restaurants have great food and the staff are always at the ready to take an order or take away an empty plate. I have NEVER had such great customer service than I did at Marival. The entire place from the rooms to the pool and pool deck is kept clean. It is family friendly with areas for little kids too. If you ever need or want anything all you have to do is ask one of the many employees. This is not on the beach, but a short golf cart ride gets you to the sister site where you have your private beach area. I really have nothing but good things to say about this place. I would give it more then 5 stars if I could.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple