“Amazing Birthday Trip for Mom”

Marival Resort & Suites
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I took my mother to Marival Resort & Suites for her 58th birthday. I emailed back and forth with Mariette at Marival several times to request she makes this trip extra special for my mother. I was so impressed when we arrived at Marival, from the time we were checking in, Mariette was there with staff, balloons, confetti, and whistles to welcome and wish my mother a happy birthday. It was amazing. The Animation Staff escorted us to our upgraded, beach front room. Upon entering, the Animation Staff was so excited because they had decorated our entire beautiful room with streamers, confetti, and banners. They had already made the trip special, but the exceptional service continued. We eventually went to the Grand pool where they spotted my mother and sang to her and also put a cake in her face!! So much fun. The Animation Staff alone will make anyones trip memorable. We became close to some of the staff while there. Carlos, Roberto, Paco, David, and Kyla some of the few. If you are looking for a great bartender, talk to Hugo. He took amazing care of us and made some of the best drinks. Now onto the details of the resort. I had done weeks of research before finally deciding on Marival. I was extremely pleased with my choice. The rooms were adorable, beds were comfy contrary to some reviews that had originally worried me. We slept great, showers are great and staff keeps it clean and stocked. The resort is very nice. I believe 4 restaurants to choose from, except the steak house was closed due to weather while we were there. 5 nights stay allows you to book 2 meals in the restaurants. The staff went ahead and let us do 3. My first and favorite was the Mexican restaurant. I had the beef tenderloin I believe w raspberry sauce.. amazing. Not everything on the menu is traditional Mexican. Also be sure at the end of the meal to order the coffee drinks. The flaming presentation is stunning. It is free drinks, fabulous appetizers apiece, entrees, and dessert. Next we went to the Italian. Also fantastic. They insisted on great tequila shots before and after dessert to ensure mom and I were havin a great time which we were anyway. The other restaurant we chose was the Mediterranean. I had the Steak and Prawns. Also very nice but not my favorite. Still all included. We really enjoy eating and the food at Marival honestly for all-inclusive could not be better. We ate at the buffet everyday at least twice and the presentation and food was delicious. You can make you own sandwiches, enjoy the different choices of seafood, or whatever. The food changes everynight so you don't get bored.
Now onto the pools, the Lazy quiet pool is where we spent most of our time. There is a swim up bar, but mostly we visited Hugo in the snack bar for Modelo and tequila. Grand pool is a little crazy at times, and I was called on to learn salsa a few times so got embarassed and stuck to the lazy pool most of the time. All nice and kept very clean. The beach, It was a nice, beach, you can rent kayaks, or snorkeling equipment but we did not. Water was a little dirty while we were there because of the rain, but still a lovely beach with lots of loungers at anytime of day. My one complaint of the beach was that the tent workers were constantly taking turns coming up and trying to sell us things. We would tell one no, just to be asked by a next person down the way. Not that big of a deal, pools were cozy and closer to bar anyway.
Make sure you take full advantage of watching the Animation staff in the shows each night. Especially when you get to know them as friends it makes the experience much more enjoyable. There wasnt a time when Paco or Carlos or Roberto weren't giving us hugs or saying hello and having fun with us. The shows were very entertaining and we also had readily available tequila. The staff also offers to take you to clubs in downtown if your interested, we declined, but I wish we would've checked it out. The Discoteque on the resort was fun as well. Not many people there but good to hear some fun music.
I had originally been concerned with safety in Mexico, but mom and I had the chance to rent bikes from the resort which I highly recommend and could not have felt safer. We rode to downtown Nuevo Vallarta and checked out the shopping. Fun and easy to do. We also booked through the resort Rhythm of the Nights for a boat ride and dinner and a show on a separate island. The cab ride was 4 dollars and the resort set everything up with no problem. Mariette was there every step of the way if we had any questions. The show was unreal, funny, amazing dancing... check it out. Dinner was a nice buffet with a candlelit table about 5 feet off the water.
Overall, our trip at Marival was ideal. Mom says it was her best trip ever thanks to mostly the staff, Mariette was wonderful. Definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a little mix of family and adult fun. Food and drinks in the restaurants is worth it. Be careful with the people in the main lobby during the day who try and get you to become members of the resorts, we just wanted to enjoy the time we had and just needed to make it clear to the workers. Not a big deal, but be prepared.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank tiffany j
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your vacation experience in our resort. Your insights are valuable to us and other travelers will most likely benefit from them as well. Being part of your fondest memories is certainly rewarding to us. We would love to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

I love the staff like Zoe and Kyla are my favorite they always put a smile on everyone's faces. My favorite activity is volleyball. I love all the staff like Cesar carlos David Robbie and marko. I love the sun. I love the activities the do around the pool.the restaurants are so good,the rooms are nice.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Kylee C
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review on this web site. Your comments and opinions are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future

Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

I loved everything about this place.
Beach and pool areas where great.
Service was excellent. The day we checked in to our room, we noticed the fridge wasn't working. After calling the front desk, our fridge was replaced within 20 minutes. We needed an iron, again within 15 minutes.
Martino from Sunbusters on the beach was great! What a service! For $15. they covered me head to toe with sunscreen.
I always burn on my first day but not this time.
Panda, you where a great host. We had such a great time with you at the disco!
Late night snacks? Awesome pizzeria using wood burning ovens.
Hope to be back again real soon!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Ok is the best thing to say about this resort. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were pretty nice. I really liked that they gave you water every day. In terms of the All-inclusive food and drinks, it really was not good at all. I have been to All-inclusive resorts before and this one was by far the worst when it came to the drinks and the food. I have simple tastes, but much of this was inedible. Many people comment on how the mini bar was restocked. Um, what mini bar? My room had an unplugged refrigerator. We were there for a wedding, and none of the guests had a mini bar, even in the suites.

The staff was pleasant and again the grounds were clean, but older. The pools were nice. We did get attacked by the time share people as soon as we checked in. Really obnoxious.

Finally, on the last day, we did not have hot water in the shower. Others complained about this all weekend, but it did not happen to us until the last day/

Overall, it was just ok. I can handle the terrible food, because you can leave and get better things. But I will not be returning and would prefer to pay a little extra for a nicer place (Dreams next door)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen D
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Have been to the Marival Resort 3 times, 2012 with My 3 sisters, felt
very safe and well cared for the staff are excellent, very clean rooms,
meals wonderful, as Well as Buffet & ala carte staff, They get to know Us
very fast, and treat Us as very Special, Ceasar, Fransisco,are Our Favs.
Carmella the Pizza Lady is Our all time favorite..She always tried to
remember Our names.Definately will be back to stay in the Grand.
Awesome time the venders became Our friends, especially Gus. L.U.

Room Tip: The Grand side of the Complex, Higher the better. On the Ocean side is awesome.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Marival is a wonderful resort with top service, a beautiful long beach with golden sand, a sprawling resort, food is delicious, and it is great for families as well. Only draw back at all was the firm beds, where we prefer softer.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bedroom - be a u ti ful!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CDNtravellers13
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Just returned from spending 10 days at Marival. I have visited many times before, usually coming twice a year. One of my main reasons for returning is the sense of family and being like a second home Marival has become.
I arrived Saturday evening and it was very busy, but check in was smooth thanks to Maria. My initial room was one of the ocean view suites in the Grand, very nice room. I did move the next day to one of the bungalows mainly because the room safe was too small to store my various electronic gadgets.
Activities:
Being a single traveler I tend to setup a routine of activities, eating, swimming, more eating, and more activities, so the day goes by fairly quickly. There were a few new faces in the activity staff, but all are so much fun, and a joy to have around. Say hi to Noe, Carlos, Fernando and all the rest of the group. From stretching class to volleyball to water games, there is something for everyone of any age. The kids club is very active and a great place to have your kids spend a few hours while you go for a walk, or take in an activity.
There is a number of excursions you can book as well, from ziplining to visiting old mexican town. I took 2 days to go by bus to visit Tepic.
Food:
I generally eat at the buffet more often than the a la carte restaurants just for the flexibility of eating whenever I get hungry. The food is good, and plenty of choices, but if you are a really picky eater, remember it's a buffet not a gourmet top restaurant. There are 2 snack places, including the wood oven pizza which is delicious. I would highly recommend the Italian and the Mexican a la carte as must do for visitors.
Rooms:
If you can afford it, I highly recommend the bungalows, as they are large, comfortable, quiet and relaxing. The regular rooms are good, but if you are traveling with kids will be a bit small. They are getting a bit dated, but the good news is they are starting an upgrade program over time for the Grand rooms, so you might want to ask when you check in if they have any renovated rooms available.

Few suggestions/recommendations:
- If you have a family, you probably want to stay in the "Grand" side which is closest to the activity and kids pool. If you do not like kids, you might want to stay on the club side. Just be aware the club side has a bar where they will have karaoke and other night activities from 10:30 - 11:30pm, which can get noisy at times.
- you will have someone talk to you after checkin about presentations for their timeshare service. I am a timeshare owner, and it is worthwhile to look into if you have interest. But if not, just be firm with them that you are not interested, as they are fairly persistent
- Depending on the time of the year, the a la carte restaurants can get full or be closed for maintenance, so it's best to check and make reservations for them the next morning.
- Do try to look in at the shows in the evening (at 9pm), as they are very entertaining, especially given they are put on mainly by the activity staff who work all day long then do the show in the evening.
- If you are a walker definitely walk not just on the beach, but also up to the local mall (20 minutes). It's a quiet and safe walk.
- Trips into downtown to the Malecon are worth it, just be aware if it's hot at the resort, it will be even hotter downtown.
- Life is a little slower in Mexico, so when something says 2pm start, don't be annoyed if it really starts at 2:15pm, it's just normal.

Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation, and already planning my next trip.
If anybody has any questions about the resort, I would be happy to try to help.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank mpgyvr
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive, insightful review of our resort. We certainly value your comments and are confident other travelers will find them very useful too. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#12 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!