“Mexico”

Marival Resort & Suites
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Definitely a dated hotel. Rooms were really old. We got a One bedroom suite. It had plenty of room. The bed was a mattress set upon a slab of cement . I'm not kidding!! So incredible uncomfortable. It had three pools with 2 swim up bars both that you could never get near, both of them in the family pools. The adult pool had nothing, not even shade. I asked if I could get an umbrella and they said no, umbrellas were not allowed. REALLY??? The restaurants that you had to make reservations in we're pretty good. Would I return? No. We normally go to a family resort but this was just a little to old for us. There was nothing that was spectacular. Actually there was, the zip lining and swimming with the dolphins was great!! Though they were not at he resort. This is also a resort were you could come to for the day, lot of locals. We were there from7/31/14. - 8/6/14

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather C
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for reviewing our property on Tripadvisor. We are always striving to make guests' stays as comfortable as possible, so we apologize.
We are sorry that you found our facilities less than satisfactory. We are happy to share with you that the property has started a full renovation of the Grand section including 290 rooms, activities and kids pool area, 2 restaurants, the logo shop, corridors and many other improvements that will be taking place at the end of the year.
We apologize for not being able meet your expectations about our services. This is certainly the vacation season in our country and we are visited by a large number of local families as we offer several special sales, which sometimes cause the resort to be at its maximum capacity. Please be sure that your comments will be shared with the appropriate leaders at the hotel and taken into consideration.
However, it is nice to read you enjoyed the amazing culinary experiences we offer at our specialty restaurants.
We would love to to host you back again and show you how we care for our repeat guests. Please contact us on gsmanager@marival.com.mx so we can assist you with any special request and make your stay more enjoyable.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,993)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

our second visit to the Marival, 2 adults, a 17yr old and a 13yr old so we requested 2 rooms, boys in one, girls in the other, and as close as possible. We got to our rooms and they had one king size bed in each room. We asked for a change, and they said they couldn't change us until the next day, so we didn't unpack. By lunchtime the next day we had our rooms, just 3 doors apart. Rooms were clean and the turn down service in the evening was a plus, so your wet towels weren't hanging around the bathroom all night. My husband said we had that last time too (4 years ago), but I couldn't remember. We used all the restaurants. The Mediterranean on the ground floor was nice. Staff friendly, food great. The Italian upstairs was lovely, staff friendly, but unfortunately didn't really get a chance to enjoy it. Our table was booked for 7pm, we got there on time, and we had all finished eating (I'm a slow eater) by 7.55pm. They brought out the next course immediately after they took the plate away from previous course. They even gave the rest of my family the dessert menu while I was still eating. No thanks. I didn't like that at all. Our waiter did give us a comment card of which I did mention this. We were out the door in an hour! A 3 course meal!!! The shows are good. Better than the last time, seem more professional. We did not let the hotel drag us into their Timeshare. We were tricked into it last time and the rep (Sean from Canada) was very rude and nasty when we tried to leave and my husband has never forgotten that. Sean is still there!!! DO NOT GO TO THE TIMESHARE, whatever anyone says! It takes hours out of your day and we all know we are not gonna buy anyway! The Casa Bella restaurant was great. The buffet was all good. Some days it didn't seem as great as others. You had to get up early if you wanted bacon. We went in November last time and the hotel is full of Canadians and Americans, I think they made sure bacon was always available then. Not so many of us in the summer so they only put so much out. Visit the egg lady. She will make your eggs to order, she does great omelettes. Even tho there are several snack bars around the property for your day use, I would suggest going to Casa Bella for lunch, lots more choice and you can make your own sandwich, salad etc. Plus air con!!!! Oh yes, air con in rooms were great. Not noisy like some places we've been to. Swim bar in the 'quiet' pool. Bar staff not so great. I was ignored (served Mexicans first), then asked for 2 waters. Came back a couple of minutes later, gave a Mexican a fruit drink (she was standing next to me, and I didn't even see her order a drink!), asked me again what I wanted so I said 2 waters with lime again. He obviously didn't understand me. In the summer you have to be up around 7am to choose your sunbeds to save. we had to get up early one morning to go on a day trip and it was humming out there with people leaving towels, clothes, childrens toys on sunbeds to save them. And people were leaving their belongings on beds on the beach and not actually turning up till around 4pm, we witnessed that a lot as we used the beach mostly. The shows were really good. Better quality of acts than 4 years ago. The staff were very friendly. Always looked happy. Maid service was very good. All in all its a good place to vacation. Just ignore the time share people (unless you know you wanna buy cos the places are nice!), find a good bartender, know what kind of weather you're getting and you will be fine. Between July and November, I'd choose November any day.

Room Tip: we had 1624 and 1627. Faces the general pool and beach to your left, lobby to your right. It can be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2015

Dear traveler,

Thanks for choosing Marival Resorts, we're happy that overall you had a great second trip. We're sorry about the service in the bar, this comment it's already at the A&B manager to follow up your comments.
In regards to their remarks about our sales presentation, we would like to apologized for the inconvenience they may have felt when our Vacation Club staff adopted such inappropriate behavior while at the presentation and what had happened was unacceptable as far as Marival Vacation Club or Marival Group standards go. We would like to point out that this comments were already forwarded to our Vacation Club Manager, who is reviewing and working on how our staff is approaching and treating our guests, because our Vacation Club presentation was designed with method of sale where the respect given to our guests is the priority, moreover whether our clients buy or not, they must received the same treatment from beginning to end.
We also are trying to implement a system to avoid people to 'reserve' chairs or sunbeds at the pool or beach.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I visited the Marival Aug2-9 and overall we had a fantastic time. The grounds are kept immaculate and the resort is very clean. The food was quite good most of the time. We really enjoyed the Italian and Mexican al a cartes and they were very easy to book. Bacon was hard to come by, but we did get it once. There was always something good at the snack bars. Our room was comfortable and we were never disturbed by any noise. The ocean and pools were great. The staff at this place are probably the friendliest we have come across. The shows were very good.
We were disappointed at the people that "reserve" cabanas early in the mourning and then don't show up for hours. We did manage to get a cabana most days but it took a lot of checking for people leaving and you had to be quick. I'm glad we did it this way because I did not want to be one of "those" people.
When we checked in, our keys and bands were given to a time share salesman as expected.(info from the other reviews I read about this place) Our salesman was very friendly and gave us very good info about the resort, but when he started in on the next day meeting with free gifts, I made it very clear to him my views about time share or "vacation clubs" and that was the end of the discussion about time shares. I was expecting more of a push from him but he respected my views and did not push it.
The biggest disappointment and the one that would probably keep us from returning is that half of the beach in front of the resort is not available for use by us regular guests. It didn't matter that all of the available loungers were taken on our side and there were many unused ones on the roped off side, we were not permitted into their side. I don't mind not being able to use their pool or their bar but roping off part of the beach has gone to far! This policy would need to be changed before I would return.
Overall we had a great time at the Marival and highly recommend it, especially for family's, just don't expect an easy time getting a chair on the beach unless you cave in and buy their membership.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doug C

Dear Doug,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to know that our variety of food was good for you, and that you enjoyed a relaxing atmosphere during your stay with our friendly staff. Our mission is to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is great to know we did it.
We're sorry that you find as an inconvenience the Beach Club of Marival Residences, this is one of the special benefits they have for being Residences guests.

Thanks for your recommendations, and we hope to have the pleasure to have you back.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

July 2014 was our 2nd visit to the resort. Overall I would recommend the place, bar a couple of caveats:
The good
Place always clean, room maid service excellent - maids visited twice a day, fresh towels, beds made. Staff at the resort were excellent - always seemed cheery, polite. Good service at the restaurants. The Mexican themed restaurant was awesome - order the flaming coffee, tastes horrible, but the show is excellent. Pools were nice, beach nice (though water not clear as on east coast). Great pizzas at the pizza oven! The entertainment staff were great - always up beat & friendly. The evening shows were certainly an improvement on our last visit & enjoyable.
Super cold air con in the room - lovely after the humidity of outside, (but my camera lens would fog up for ages when leaving lol). No free Wi-Fi for the room, but free access from the desk (one near to the buffet) - ask for the access code.
The Bad
We went July & the place was overly busy (to be expected as a lot of locals holiday this time). So, you have to be up early to reserve a sun bed - the locals were up early, & reserving with toys, clothes, anything, then disappearing for the rest of the morning. I saw one person, reserve poolside & beach side, which was a bit greedy.
The Italian restaurant was great for food, but the service rushed - you finished one course & the plate was instantly being swapped for the next course - a bit of a breather in between please! Contrary to this, the Mexican restaurant was a perfect pace & we never felt pressured to bugger off.
Buffet was busy late evenings (but great at lunch time). eat before the locals emerge from the pools! Breakfast was nothing special & bacon is being rationed (not rashered!). So you need to be quick to get bacon.
The ugly
If I want time share, guess what - I'll approach you & shop around!!!!! When you check in, the resort bracelets are given to a member of staff who orientates you - AND tries to get you tied in to a time share presentation. (I even told the staff at check I didn't want to be harassed with the time share goofs). Naively, on our 1st visit to Marival, we took the bribes - the time share properties are really really nice, unfortunately, the Sales guff is really really high pressured & if they don't get their way, really really rude. This wound me up on the 1st visit & ruined the 1st couple days. Having spoken to fellow holiday makers, the resort is still using the same tactics - a word to the wise. It is NOT worth the bribes - avoid them is sound advise.
Summary
I would recommend the Marival, but be forewarned & forearmed - ignore the timeshare scam. If I go again, I'd go slightly off season. Our 1st visit was November & it was civilized. I wouldn't go peak summer time again. & did I mention avoid the time share touts (which by the way starts as soon as you land - they'll lie to you inside the airport - ignore & make a bee line for your OFFICIAL holiday rep outside the airport!).

Room Tip: Higher the better!! better view & tad quieter. Don't be too close to reception! Noisey weddi...
3  Thank StevP1243
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotels with other travelers. We certainly strive to provide clean rooms, good quality of food and exceptional guest service. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be back again.
However, we are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced in our restaurants, we will gladly address your comments and take them into consideration. We welcome any opportunity to improve.
We are sorry for any inappropriate comment or behavior by the Vacation Club staff as well as their persistence and pressure, your comment has been addressed to the head of area for its follow up.
On behalf of everyone here at the hotel we wish to thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to the Riviera Nayarit. Please send us an email before your visit to gsmanager@marival.com.mx and we will be happy to assist you with any special request. We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

13 of us (family) just traveled to Marival Resort and Suites 2 weeks ago, and had a BLAST! The Beach Club staff was awesome...especially Fabian and Jacky. They truly went above and beyond to make sure we had anything we needed. Jacky would put up beach umbrellas for us first thing in the morning, and she was always smiling and pleasant. Fabian was the same...extremely pleasant and he made the best drinks! Elief in the surf hut was also awesome. We didn't surf this trip because waves were not big enough, but took lessons in the Spring from him, and he is a super good teacher! The food was outstanding at the Beach Club, as well as the restaurants at night. We ate at the buffet 2 nights and it was OK...not as good as it has been in the past. We took an excursion to the Marietta Islands, and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it if you like snorkeling. Can't wait to be back to Marival!!!!

Dear Annette,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your family experience with us. We are pleased to know that our variety of food was good for you, and that you enjoyed a pampering service during your stay at the Beach Club. Our mission is to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is great to know we did it. We hope that this family vacations were special and fun for you an all your family members. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel was wonderful! The staff was great a special shout to Fabian Leal & Karen who made every effort to make our Family vacation a blast! All the restaurants are delicious. It is not easy when a family of 24 are traveling but they did an outstanding job!! I will definitely be returning very soon!
Marcial Family

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Marcial Family,

It is such an honor to read all your positive comments regarding the restaurants and the special personnel that made your stay more than great. This is definitely a good sign that we're going for the right track.
We hope to see you again, the 24 of you!!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've booked 2 vacations at the Marival Resort for 2 years now - and have been so happy we did. We got upgraded both times and the added value made both trips even better. In particular, we want to call out Concierge Manager Mariette Lucia Criales Orjuela who took great care of us.

The beaches are perfect for our young kids - small, warm waves safely tossing them around for hours of fun. The many pools are also great for kids - and there are adults only pools, too.

The food at La Pergola was really mediocre, but everything else about the stay was just great. It's a great value for the cost. Yummy food, friendly service and a safe, wonderful place to relax. We'll be back!

1  Thank jeffyweave

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest. We truly appreciate the post you wrote regarding your visits to our hotel. It is always nice to hear that our team did follow up your special request and you enjoyed our pools.
Looking forward to have you back for the 3rd time!