“Exceeded my expectations/Best beach in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta”

Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Derby, Kansas
“Exceeded my expectations/Best beach in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta”
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I booked a trip to puerto vallarta May 25-29 with bookit.com. After reading hundreds of reviews/places to stay I decided to stay at the Villa Varadero. Arthur Frommer (travel expert) recommended staying in Nuevo Vallarta for the best beaches in the area. After arriving at the hotel, I was met outside the hotel by Diego.He shook my hand and welcomed me to the hotel. He then helped me check in, and even though I was early, I was able to immediately go to my room. I asked Diego to show me the entire facility, which he gladly did. He made sure that if I had any more questions to contact him. (which I did many times). The entire hotel including the beach, bar, restaurant, 3 pools, lobby area were all kept exceptionally clean 24 hours a day. I drank lots of diet pepsi, and virgin drinks while there, and the free bottled wated helped; and chepe and all of the staff were always fun to talk with; and made time to visit with me. I met alot of americans there; as well as locals who all agreed that this part of the beach is the widest and most beautiful in the area. It was unbelievable. Fine, soft sand. I was able to walk almost the entire week on the beach and see one or two people there, especially around sunset. I really enjoyed the quietness, and the sound of waves crashing as I walked.
The food at the restaurant was exceptional. They had fish on at least 2 occasions, and there was always 4 main entrees served at each meal. On the last evening of my trip, I was able to enjoy a meal on the beach by myself with a waiter; which consisted of a spinach salad, shrimp soup, rolls, fresh dorado served on a bed of rice with broccoli. Dessert was cherry pie, with chocolate sauce. This was excellent. Each morning for breakfast the chef made me omelets, and fried eggs; however I wanted them cooked. All of the wait staff were very helpful and friendly.
At the front desk, I needed to confirm my reservation with my diving company so they made the call; and the arrangements were made. When I needed a taxi, they called one to come and pick me up. They were also very helpful in recommeding local cafe's to eat at; or taking tours.
Josymon, the activities director was also very friendly and helpful. I was the only one who showed up to take the bike tour on Wednesday. He and I went riding to a local zoo, paradise village, a bird sanctuary where I was able to hold several wild birds, and watch people swim with dolphins and seals. It was very informative, and he was very willing to make sure I had a great time; which I did.
On friday they had a couple who sang outside the bar area for a couple of hours was very good, and they sang alot of authentic mexican music.
The only negative thing I can say about this resort is the hardness of the beds. After my flight, and arrival at the hotel, when I got to my room, I put my suitcase on the floor and jumped up to sit on the bed, and found the bed to be as hard as a church pew. HARD. I had read many reviews that had said this was a problem, but I improvised and moved the futon mattress on top of the bed; and then slept on this. It was comfortable to lie on after this.
I would definitely stay here again, and I do plan on returning to puerto vallarta in the future. Thank you for a wonderful vacation experience Villa Vallarta staff. You really know how to make someone feel at home.
PS I look forward to seeing Chepe wearing the Kansas University t-shirt I gave him!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank trvlr69
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 June 2010
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay at Villa Varadero. We are very glad that you enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of the many activities and amenities we have available to our guests. We take great pride in our beach and our staff always make the extra effort so that all our guests feel as welcomed as you did. We hope to see you on your next vacation to Nuevo Vallarta!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hungarian first
Superior,Wi
Reviewed 6 May 2010

For the money this is one of the best values on the beach in Mexico. If you got screwed by a tour operator and paid way too much, then take it up with your tour operator. I read a lot of reviews AFTER we booked this as a last minute bargain from Apple and apparently this is one of the best beaches in PV. The hotel is not 5 star, but it was decent, it was very well cleaned and the front desk staff was the absolute best of any hotel I've stayed in (two young guys and a girl). We did the breakfast only option and the breakfast was excellent. As far as complaints about a musty smell, you're in the tropics, so the humidity is high and you can bet they spray for bugs (most North Americans freak if they see a bug). From my experience this is universal in a closed in room. Open the window! I loved my stay here and would recommend it to anyone who is trying to find a nice place for not much money. Keep in mind, when reading reviews, that some people were born unhappy and nothing is going to change that.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank pharvey55
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are glad that you found the hotel clean and that the staff was always attentive to your needs. We always strive to provide good service at a good price and are glad you were satisfied. We look forward to your next stay when you visit Nuevo Vallarta in the future!
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I stayed there recently and found the following problems:

1. Very less variety of food.
2. We got sick when we ate some of the food.
3. Cleaning ladies look for valuable things when cleaning and we weren't there.
4. Very less activities.

Along the pros:

1. Enjoyed the view of the sea.
2. Rooms were comfortable.
3. People from hotel was very kind.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ZeroSerge
GabyPerez, manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay. We are always striving to improve our service and your comments will help us.
We are very glad you enjoyed the view and comfort of your room and that the staff were nice to you. We are always trying to improve the variety of food offered at our buffet.
Next time please let us know you are not feeling well during your stay, so we can take care of that while you are here. Also, we have safety deposit boxes available in your room where you can safely store your valuables, free of charge. We invite you to use all the amenities in your room on your next visit, and hope to see you during your next trip to Vallarta.
Leon, Mexico
Reviewed 10 April 2010

It was a pleasant stay. It really is a place that offers various activities that make you feel comfortable and relaxed, enjoying a real holiday.
I loved the friendly service from all staff, making my family and I consider our next vacation again hosting us at the Hotel Villa Varadero, because it exceeded our expectations and it is a great place for recreation and relaxation

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marybe_lop_leon
GabyPerez, manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to describe your vacation with us. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Varadero, and we hope to see you and your family soon.
Ohio
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Only stayed for one day but it was nice. Everyone was very nice and the stay was pleasant. We would go back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetovisitmexico
GabyPerez, manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 March 2010
Thank you for your comments, we look forward for your next stay at Villa Varadero.
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The location was right on the beach in nuevo vallerta. The view from our room was beautiful of palm trees and the water.

The staff was friendly and courteous and informative. The room was clean and spacious. The breakfast buffet was included and delicious. The beach was quiet and beautiful. The location is in Nuevo Vallerta which is just a short ride to the airport (~20 mins) and Puerto Vallerta (~35 mins). This was the most affordable location we could find and were not disappointed.

In terms of improvement of the hotel, the bathroom could use a little renovation and the beds were a little hard.

They have internet access including terminals at the bar you can use for a small fee.
I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nirvana678
GabyPerez, manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Varadero and found it a good value vacation. Thank you for your comments. We will keep in mind your suggestions for improvements since we are constantly striving to provide good service. We hope to see you for your next vacation in Vallarta!
Southington, CT
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Villa Varadero February 2010

Our arrival at Villa Varadero found us in a quaint Mexican style hotel with a tile roof and stucco walls on a quiet street. The one bedroom was very musty and dark inside. It was furnished with the typical hard Mexican two double beds in the bedroom and three large twin colorful sofa beds in the living room. The furniture was heavy and dark wood. The room was painted yellow, orange and white with blue accents. The kitchen had a 2 burner stove and a 5 cubic foot refrigerator with a small freezer that kept ice cream, sink, coffeemaker, toaster, microwave and adequate dishes and utensils for 6 people. We asked for a spaghetti strainer and they brought us a newer pot that had a strainer with it. We had a balcony overlooking the pool area.

The resort is wired for internet. If you bring your own laptop you can sit by the pool and browse away. For those who left their keyboards at home, there are several computers set up at the indoor bar, near the front desk. Costs are 35 pesos for one hour session and 25 pesos for one-half session. The time is not carried over to the next session.

The desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Speaking English was not a problem. They sold us a 6 gallon water jug for 25 pesos ($2.75) and delivered it to our room. One of the girls at the front desk even brought from her home a reading lamp for use in our dark room.

Many of the locals with their families stay at the resort for two or three days at a time then they leave. The locals bring children and babies that can cry at the most inopportune times. Locals will also congregate in the stairwells on rainy days and lounges at night and talk away or play games until late into the night. You’ll also find a number of Canadian and Northwestern US people staying at their timeshares at the resort. Some stay as long as seven weeks at a time and they have been coming for 15 and 20 years.

The resort is recently under new management. We saw signs of fresh painting and newer air conditioners going in. The elevator was upgraded in 2007. It appears that the studios/ hotel rooms have been remodeled. They have a window that overlooks the beach and pool area. Things are looking up for the resort. For the all inclusive folks there is an outdoor bar, a cafeteria and a day long buffet by the water. The hamburgers looked big with all sorts of toppings available and the kids said they were good. I heard that breakfast was adequate. No one raved about the dinners. Kayaks sat by the beach and bicycles were out front.

Kayaks sat by the beach and bicycles were out front. The activities director held, or should I say tried to encourage, walking and biking tours, aqua aerobics, Mexican bingo, karaoke, volleyball and water polo activities, though there wasn’t much interest from the tourists. The bike tour for 4 pesos brought you around to see lions, dolphins, monkeys and sea lions. The aqua aerobics left something to be desired. We had to search for the activities director if we wanted to partake in an activity. We never found the arts and crafts and painting that were advertised. Everyone looked like they were having fun playing volley ball. Then there was always jenga or dominoes to play in the outside bar area.

The bus into Puerto Vallarta stops right outside the hotel and it costs 13 pesos ($1.50) to get into downtown. The bus downtown stops at Walmart, where you have to switch to a centro bus to get downtown. Downtown vehicle traffic is very busy. The Malecon waterfront walkway next to the ocean with statues was easy enough to find. The downtown flea market near the Isla Rio Cuale was a bit harder to find. It had a wooden and chain bridge that was interesting to cross over.

We did rent a car, but there really isn’t a need to rent one. Taxis are cheap and the busses run frequently. The Paradise Plaza is across the marina/ jetty that is near the hotel and has a grocery store and McDonalds and Subway along with indoor shops. We drove north along the coast to Punta de Mita and Sayulita and stopped at Bucerias on our way back where we went to the flea market and walked along the small waterfront.

We ate at Claudio’s which has an all you can eat fish & shrimp on Tuesdays for 180 pesos. Then we ate at Guido’s, an Italian restaurant, on the sidewalk down the street from our hotel.

Best part of Villa Varadero is THE BEACH and the peacefulness. There are numerous chairs and shaded areas to relax and the beach is big. You can walk to the jetty and watch people fishing, or you can bring your boogie board and try your luck at wave jumping.

If you are looking for a top notch resort that is bustling with activity, this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank HMSmyth2
Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully describe your vacation with us at Villa Varadero and the local area. As part of our hotel's philosophy, we try to have activities available for those who are interested and allow our guests to simply relax if that's what they want, too. We are sorry you had difficulty finding the Activity Director that one day and will do our best to improve on this. While you are at the hotel, you can always check with Reception for anything you may need. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!