“Nice beach, we loved it but it's not for the high maintenance ones”

Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
MB, Canada
“Nice beach, we loved it but it's not for the high maintenance ones”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We stayed here in March of 2010 for one week with the all inclusive. Beach was great, nice and clean, not too many people trying to sell you stuff on the beach. Lots of chairs, never had to wait for a palapa.

Hotel lets you borrow bikes for free. Bus that goes into Puerto Vallarta or going the other way towards Bucerias stops right in front of the hotel, we never had to wait long for it.

Food was ok, breakfast was usually the best meal. Only one restaurant, not sure if the restaurant was even open for lunch on some days as we usually ate only in the snack bar by the pool. Only one bar (the one by the beach) was open when we were there but the hotel is small enough that that was ok with is. Chepe was a wodnerful bartender, always remembered your drink and was so friendly, always greeted us with a smile. Rest of the staff was nice and helpful too.

Lost of mexican families on the weekends, which we preferred and didn't mind. If your preference is a hotel with north american guests only, this place is not for you. Why go to Mexico if you don't want to see Mexicans?

This is not a 5 star and not fitting for those who are high maintenance. But if you're looking for a nice relaxing vacation and have an open mind, you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel when you stayed here in March 2010. Also, thank you for including useful information about activities and the experience you had since that is great for other travelers to read. We hope you’ll come stay with us again as we’ve made some great changes since you were last here!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hungarian first
Maplewood, MN
Reviewed 8 February 2011

This was our sixth stay at Villa Varadero and I'm exceedingly reluctant to talk about how great it is for fear it'll be over-run with gringos next year and we'll be unable to get in. Gabby is a wonderful host and there were a few improvements this year.

A well-rendered depiction of colonial Mexico architecture there's wonderful detail everywhere you look. The rooms are comodious, comfortable, and equipped with fridges and microwaves so you can stock your own beverages and snacks. And here's an insider's tip: The Oxxo about a block from VV has cheaper sodas and beer and snacks than Wal-Mart!

The staff is fabulous! Diego, Jimmy, Juan Carlos, Albia, Karina are always willing to field our questions with as much detail as we want and help us learn Spanish or provide details for a destination reachable by cheap buses for an authentic off-campus Mexican adventure. This year we did day trips to Tepic and El Tuito and had great experiences! Insiders tip: The bus stop is 100' from the VV entrance and runs right to the airport.

The restaurants at VV are good and have improved under Gabby. We typically get the breakfast plan to allow us the flexibility of trying out different places for dinner. The made-to-order omelets are tops! Though I wish they'd make chorizo available too. Miseal, Sara, Christian, Hugo, and Francisco (our daily breakfast crew) are warm, inviting, and helpful. Be sure to do dinner on Mexican night at Drake's! Insiders tip: They sell VV travel mugs for $5 and work great to keep beverages hot or cold and make for fewer trips to the bar and beach sand out of your drink. Get one for everyone! 40p to fill it with coffee at Drake's was expensive so we typically ran to Oxxo to fill it for 10p.

Anna Christina supplied us with blankets and smiles and greeted us whenever we ran into her making us feel a part of the VV family...

Yes, positively, We will visit VV again next year! If they have room for us...

Gracias amigos...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Bohemian
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Wow, we are honored you had such a great experience and took the time to write such a lovely and positive review of your stay. We've made great strides in the last year to improve on all fronts and it's very nice to hear you appreciate it all. Also, thank you for being specific in your review as it not only helps us to know what is working and what can be improved, but also is helpful to other travelers who may or may not have stayed with us in the past. We look forward to welcoming you at any time when you return to the Vallarta area!
Sioux Falls SD
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Great place, very authentic, great beach which is gromed every morning. I would recomend to upgrade to ocean view and I would not recomend the all inclusive. The breakfast come with the room rate and was very good, but we saw what they served for the other meals and it did not look so great, But there is a wonderful place called EDDIE'S just a block away with great food and very good prices. The beds are as hard as a rock but other than that this place was great.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and for taking the time to write a review for other travelers to read. We are proud to be part of the Southern Nuevo Vallarta Beach that was awarded another certificate from the Quality Certification for Beach for the cleanliness of the beach. We certainly hope to have you stay with us during a future vacation to Nuevo Vallarta
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 January 2011

My wife, my 3 year old daughter, and I stayed at Villa Varadero late November/early December 2008 for 1 week. We had the All Inclusive option.

Resort guests were mainly Mexican families on vacation. Many involved extended families. For several days we were the only Americans. That was pretty cool.

The food and the serving hours were very much geared towards these guests. Late breakfast hours. Late dinner hours. But it was very good.

We drank the bar out of beer on more than one occasion...so we switched to liquor. Bummer.

The beach was excellent and quiet. Never had any issues.

The hotel offers older bikes for guest to use as well as kayaks and boogie boards. We used the bikes on a couple of occasions.

The rooms were spacious and clean.

Overall...we loved it and would consider going back, though we like to explore other accommodations and experiences.

This resort is perfect for families and those looking for a low-key, quiet and relaxing experience.

It's location is very close to the Seaquarium and a marina. There are many areas to walk along and explore during the day. Just outside the hotel, you can catch a bus to the more touristy area of Nuevo Vallarta or into downtown Puerto Vallarta or to Walmart.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us during your stay in January. We would be happy to accommodate you and your family again. In fact, if you are interested in experiencing the local area or taking day trips, I can recommend our new, bilingual hotel blog that has a good number of articles on things to do and explore in the Vallarta area. We hope to see you soon!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Two girlfriends and I spent 4 nights at Villa Varadero Hotel in December, right before the holiday pricing increase (12/23). We chose the all inclusive option with meals and drinks included in the pricing. Considering we paid about $45 per person, per day for the hotel and food, Villa Varadero was a bargain. The staff was very friendly and gave good service. The rooms seemed to be clean and well taken care of. We had a great view of the ocean from our 5th floor room. Food was available pretty much all day and the bar was open until 11pm. The best part of traveling during this time (pre-holiday) was that the hotel was all but empty until the last day we were there. This allowed for great privacy, less noise and less crowding on the beach chairs.

Although the rooms were clean, the mattresses in the room seemed to be set directly on cement/stucco blocks. This made for a very hard and uncomfortable bed. The food was edible, but I would not be able to go back and eat there again. The breakfast was by far the best meal of the day. There was an omelet station, pancakes, fruit, yogurt and granola. If the breakfast was open all day, I would have been much happier. Lunch and snacks were repetitive with watered down nacho cheese, strange ketchup (nothing like I've ever seen) and hamburgers/hot dogs that hung out on the grill until they were ordered. Dinner was also not great.

Although the hotel was inexpensive, I would hesitate returning to the same hotel because the hotel was not close to many other restaurants and I would not want to eat there again.

Overall, I think this is a nice hotel for the price, but not conveniently located to clubs, restaurants or shopping. It was easy to travel by bus to downtown P.V. (only $2 pp each way) and much cheaper than a $30 cab ride would have been. If you are ok with public transportation to get to those places cheaply, this would be a great adventure. If you only cab it, stay in P.V.

p.s. The most amazing thing we experienced was witnessing sea turtles hatching and going out to sea. I think we were just there at the right time, but it was truly amazing!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Trying to balance great services at a low rate is something we constantly manage. You might be surprised how many of our repeat guests ask for the hotdogs and hamburgers every year! We do our best to vary the menu daily and keep it tasty. If you do come to stay with us again, and we hope you do, and you want to try something else, you can get local restaurant recommendations from Reception. Finally, isn’t sea turtle season amazing? Vallarta in the winter is such a surprising and wonderful time in Nature. If you come to join us next winter, there is also whale watching. We have written about whale watching opportunities on the hotel’s blog.
Mexico
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I spent a beautiful an quiet vacation in this particular place, I enjoy the kidness of the staff, they have an excelent service. The other thing that I like very much was the food.

I really reccommed this hotel, and If you have a chance to go there, well, try it, I´m sure you won´t regreat.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
GabyPerez, General Manager at Villa Varadero Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 4 February 2011
It sounds like your shortest vacation was worthwhile. December is a great time to come to Vallarta, as you know. We’d love to have you stay with us again. Next time come for longer!
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I have stayed 3 weeks in Villa Varadero. It’s a nice and quiet little family style hotel. It might be an endangered species: a small hotel on a very pretty beach – and very affordable! It is surrounded only by condos. The next big hotel is either on the opposite side of the beach stretch or on the other side of the dividing marina. Puerto Vallarta is easily accessible by taxi or even by a well running public bus service.

All the staff members who have been serving me are very friendly and helpful.

When I first came I had to report that the sink in my room was stopped up and the shower didn't work, After the second report by one of the ladies at the front the shower got fixed and worked perfectly ever since. I cleaned out the sink myself.
The beds are very hard, but I got used to it.
I found the chairs in my room very uncomfortable. But at my request the lady in charge of housekeeping brought me a more comfortable chair.
When it rains very hard a lot of water comes into my room through the window sills, but I can get towels at the front desk without a problem. I was there in the midst of an unusually wet rainy season, after all.

To my taste the food is good and of a good variety even in this very low season. I appreciate the chefs.

This was my first time in Mexico. It has been a very pleasant experience.

Karin Turpin

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
We are so pleased to be able to have made your first trip to Mexico an enjoyable one. So happy to know you felt that our hotel is a comfortable size and we also love our beach! After three weeks I’m sure you knew everyone in the hotel -- we do strive to be as friendly and welcoming as we can. Please join us on your next trip to Mexico, and don’t keep the secret!