“Love it”

Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 23 July 2012

It is so fun here you can do so much stuff. You can go call the butter for food. And there is so much stuif for kids there you can go to te wave pool and the lazy river. I was at the the master suite. We had our own pool and you get at great view of the ocean. The service is so good and if they didi something rong they would give you a free breakfast. Come on you can't beat a free breakfeast. At the pooltgey give you FREE chocolate bars. You can just give the butler a call and if you ask him for donuts, they give you donuts. When you are looking for a hotel to stay in Mexico you to the grand luxxe. This is all I have to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank 122,345
Write a ReviewReviews (3,134)

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We are Grand Mayan owners and upon arrival, we were offered an upgrade to a Luxxe suite. We took it because the Grand Mayan was packed!! They explained to us about the "off-season" which is when schools are on break so a lot of Mexican families come to vacation. If you go during June and July, it is very, very busy. Our Grand Mayan suite usually consists of 2 bedrooms with the living area in the middle. The Grand Luxxe suite we got upgraded to was only the one bedroom and living area. Disappointing, but it was large enough for our family of 6. Another reason we took the upgrade was because we had access to the Grand Luxxe pools which were not going to be as crowded because Grand Mayan guests were not able to come to the Luxxe pools.

They immediately asked us if we we're interested in hearing their "presentation" about all the new things that are happening at this property. They offered our family a free breakfast and 10% off all charges incurred during our stay. Having been through this before, we knew it wasn't going to be a presentation but a sales pitch. But, I thought it was kind of funny that the man who signed us up to attend insisted it wasn't going to be a sales meeting. Anyway, we attended and they are planning to build up this resort a lot. A train will run from the airport to the resort, they will have a total of 4 golf courses, more Luxxe suites and villas, a waterpark, an amusement park, etc...basically, what that meant for us during our stay was that we were vacationing amongst a onslaught of construction.

In case, you choose to go to their meeting like we did, here's what they offered us: if we upgraded from the Mayan to the Luxxe after transferring our equity,etc. it would be $29,000 for 2 residence weeks in a Luxxe suite (2 bedrooms). We would get unlimited free golf (cart fees apply), 2 for 1 spa and honor our 'pay only on usage' maintenance fee plan. When we hesitated at the (Wednesday) meeting, they agreed to waive the closing costs of about $5000. When we said we needed time to think about it, they next day (Thursday) they offered to pay for our maintenance cost for the next year. Later that day, we declined. But she still called multiple times a day for the remainder of our stay but we just let it go to voicemail thanks to their caller id phone system. So, if you are truly interested in buying, don't take the first offer!

Our experience: Although we were in Tower 3 which was still under construction, we really couldn't tell when we entered the building and while in our suite. Some tapping was heard but nothing much else.

Living area is really spacious and the kitchen has basically everything you need. Full size fridge, stove, microwave, blender, toaster, coffee maker, plates, pot/pan, etc. Note that there is no oven. We didn't notice until we tried to cook the frozen pizza we bought for our kids. Bummer! There is a nice large dining table as well as stools by the counter to eat on. Large HD TV in both rooms with a lot of English-speaking options. There is no DVD player. Bring your own, with your own connection cables! Our TV got stuck a couple of times...hint: press and hold the green button on the bottom of the remote, it resets the TV. Our room did not have a jacuzzi but it had the most marvelous shower! Huge shower and the shower head was glorious! We found out later that we had a handicapped room - thus, no jacuzzi and larger shower than a normal suite. Didn't matter for us but it is something to be aware of. The bed was SO comfortable! Cannot stress that enough! The outside deck was really comfortable, lots of chairs with a dunk pool.

There were no pools near our Tower but I think when it builds up, there will be. So, we had to take the tram to the other towers to get to the pools. Be aware that there are no sidewalks so you will walk on the road for the most part but the road is only open to the trams. Their trams work pretty well, we waited 5 minutes tops most of the time.

The Luxxe pools are really nice and comfy. The water is warm, sometimes too warm because you may want a little cool dip to escape from the humidity. Lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. One thing that was disappointing was that the chairs lined up right at the poolside were reserved for Platinum members. Understandable, sure...but apparently, there were no Platinum members at the resort because they were all vacant. Silly that all those chairs were vacant. The Luxxe pools were not crowded at all. Very comfortable amount of people. Sometimes, you had a pool to yourself.

We ventured to the Mayan Palace pools which were past the Luxxe pools. A bit more people but still comfortable. There were 2 foot pool areas, great for my younger one who didn't need her floater to enjoy that.

We also went to the Grand Mayan pools. Hugely disappointing because #1- it was super crowded. Hard to find seats, too many people in the pool. And #2 - the pools are not in the greatest of condition. They are worn and aged looking, could use some pressure washing in some areas. The wave pools are a joke and you have to walk through what looks like a bit of standing brown water to actually get into the wave pool. There is a small water play area for very young kids with some slides and watery umbrellas but that's it...the waterplay area in Acapulco was so much better. The lazy river is fun but is worn in areas - many parts of the floor are coming up.

The whole resort is located next to a river and combined with the humidity equals Mosquitos! Lots of them! When we were standing outside waiting for the tram outside of Tower 3, we got swarmed! Bug spray! My husband went golfing and said he got eaten alive by Mosquitos.

Concierge and maid staff were wonderful. Most work for little hourly money so they depend on tips. They were appreciative of anything but we tipped as we normally would - 15/20%.

There is a stack washer dryer on every floor which was handy for our family. Need to get a card from the concierge to operate but it was inexpensive and included soap.

All in all our stay at the Grand Luxxe was comfortable and relaxing. The timeshare push is the only downside but it is what it is, their bread and butter for building their resorts. So, I guess a necessary evil in their eyes.

If we had to be in the Grand Mayan though, I believe with the crowd, our vacation experience would be completely different (not in a good way!)

We went to Wal-Mart in a taxi - 160 pesos going, 180 pesos coming back. Airport taxis cost 190 in a small vehicle, 250 in a van. We also went to an outdoor, closed off shopping street (sorry, can't remember the name of it) across town for about 250 in a large van. We bargained for a small car to come back to the hotel for about 180.

At night, there were spectacular lightning, thunder and rainstorms. Cleared up by morning and was not an issue during our stay. Hope you have an enjoyable vacation as well!

Room Tip: Tower 1&2 are completed. Our friends were in Tower 1 with an ocean view - gorgeous!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank MP526
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Was invited by friends to Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta for the first week of July. We had our own villa and theirs was across the hall. Excellent accommodations, impeccable service, wonderful food.

They do have construction going on, but quite honestly, it did not bother us in the least. We stayed in the Punta.

Keep in mind that the river empties into the bay so you will not have the clear water at this location. The sea turtles LOVE this area to lay eggs and our group got to witness it during a late night walk along the beach!

Pools were fabulous. Shuttles ran consistently. Had one spa treatment. Its a resort, so of course it will cost more than a spa at in your home town. Spa was very nice. Loved all of the restaurants.

Can't wait to return in 2 years to see the complex once its completed!

2  Thank lcloud
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Just returned from a week at the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta. Definitely a 5 star resort. We got updated from the Grand Mayan; lucky us. The Grand Mayan in July is super packed; mostly with local residents who bring their entire extended families with them. Accordingly, there is almost no where to sit by the pools or the beach lounge chairs. If you stay at the Grand Luxxe you can visit the Grand Mayan, but not the other way around. Grand Mayan guests can only occupy Grand Mayan property. Lucky for the Grand Luxxe guests, as the grounds and pools are not crowded, plenty of places to lounge, not overun by large families and at the far end near "Punta", Grand Luxxe "1" there are tons of lounge chairs and a huge pool; nice quiet area. Loved the vacation and staying at the Grand Luxxe. Each floor has concierge service and the rooms are quite lovely.
The Grand Luxxe 'owners update' is not a pressurized time share presentation. The only down side is to pay attention to the travel agency tours and Vallarta Ventures tour prices. They will quote you a price in U.S. $$ (won't always honor it because they will say the printed sheet has prices from another tour company which only goes out once a week - if you want to go another day you pay more). Another scheme is that they quote U.S. $$ (using a higher exchange rate - resulting in a lower price at the time of booking). You have to charge the tour to your room. When you check out to pay the bill, the exchange rate is lower, thus when you are quoted $70 for the tour, you end up paying $82. They tell you that they cannot help that the tour company uses a different exchange rate. They did acknowledge that there is no way you can end up paying the quoted rate because you have to pay the resort who has different exchange rates. So pay attention to this when you book your tour through the company and inquire about the exchange rates used when you pay your bill. Other than this, it was a wonderful trip. Also, if you go in the summer bring plenty of bug spray; tons of misquitoes.....

Room Tip: All rooms at Grand Luxxe are great. If you stay at Grand Mayan and you don't light loud music a...
2  Thank LoraineJoseph
Reviewed 11 July 2012

What a luxurious place here at the Grand Luxxe! Full size room (one bedroom) came with 2 bathrooms, a shower that could fit 10, a "mini" pool on the deck, etc. Coffee and tea were delivered at my requested time each day. The staff here goes out of their way to accomodate, help, please, everything! Concierge on each floor to make reservations out of the resort or within, to help with just about everything. Pool area has sofas, beds, the works! Cold towels delivered regularly as you sunbathe; popcicles, too. A gal actually comes around selling Haagen=Daz. Happy hours all day long at the different pool areas, and there are many of them. So many choices of restaurants, including those outside the resort area. Tours and games no charge with wonderful, knowledgeable people. I will return next year to Puerto Vallarta, but will also try the new Grand Luxxe on the Riviera Maya sometime soon.

Room Tip: If you have a large family, the grand suite accomodates 10 people; otherwise, one side of the suite...
6  Thank Leanalot
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My first impression of this resort was terrible. The main entrance is under construction and you go through a back entrance by the parking garage to get dropped off at the new train station building that is under construction. Here we waited for the shuttle around 15 minutes to take us over to Grand Luxxe to check in. We had two rooms, a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom. We were told that our 2 bedroom was being upgraded from a master suite to a villa and they gave us the keys for that room and the other 1 bedroom wasn't ready yet. We went to the 2 BR and could open both sides but the door was locked in between the rooms and we asked them to have it unlocked. They called back and told us we didn't have both rooms and so back I go to the front desk. We were then downgraded to a different room and I'm pretty sure it is because we declined the timeshare presentation (you have to listen to their blurb before they will give you your room keys). The timeshare lady "warned" us about accepting other timeshare offers from people at the airport and I told her no worries we didn't speak to anyone at the airport. She then carries on about it saying "I know they tell you not to tell us and we will meet or beat their offer". I tell her again we didn't talk to anyone. Next she hands me a written warning about this and tells me to read it. Okay, I'm starting to get irritated that she is insisting I am lying about talking to some timeshare people at the airport. I just want to get the keys to our room and get the vacation started. We finally say no thank you to the "free" breakfast / 5 hr timeshare presentation and get to the room and #2 timeshare pest promptly calls and tells me the only reason anyone declines their offer is if they have spoken to another timeshare company at the airport. I say no I didn't talk to anyone for the fourth time and no to the timeshare again. 5 minutes later and while I'm trying to get the room situation fixed #3 pest calls and says we can get a higher floor (with the same construction view) if we agree to go to the presentation. Seriously? I'm ready to relax and decide to just accept the 1st floor construction view and they finally leave us alone.....until the next day and almost every day after that! The next "game" was them calling day 5 and saying I needed to come to the front desk and swipe my credit card as there was a problem. I called AMEX and guess what, no problem. I called back to the front desk and they told me there was no problem and they didn't call me and it must have been the timeshare people. Wow, the lengths these people will go to. These are the most aggressive timeshare sharks I have ever encountered and I've been to a lot of timeshare properties. These kinds of games surely don't make me want to attend their presentation! If you do want to take them up on their offer make sure you play hard to get. The first offer was $2000 pesos plus 10% off all room charges. The offer goes up daily as they get more desperate to get you to that "free breakfast". Also if you do go, book yourself a tour or massage or something a few hours after and then you have an excuse to leave after the 90 minutes. I didn't do it because I had heard enough of their BS and was tired of being pestered. I would rather sit on my balcony and listen to the jackhammering as that was more relaxing!

The next warning is about the beach party. We bought the "party hopper" package for the Mexican fiesta and beach party and FYI there are no refunds. My daughter got extremely ill with a 103 fever and I called to ask if they could credit my daughter and I (the other 4 in our group were still going). Nope, they won't do it without a doctors note. The person who sold this never mentioned no refunds and the receipt didn't either. I actually asked the girl who sold the package to us about it a few days later and she was surprised and appalled that they wouldn't give me a refund.

Going off property becomes an irritation because you have to wait for the shuttle and then again for the taxi. When you are trying to get to an excursion or dinner reservation it gets very old to have that extra 15-30 minutes when coming AND going. Tower 3 is also very isolated and surrounded by construction. There are no sidewalks leading anywhere out of the building also due to construction, but you can walk on the street the golf carts use. This building really shouldn't be occupied and there is a big unfinished floor in the middle still. They dump a ton of these weeks into Interval International and RCI because you can't complain about the location when you trade in and they get a steady stream of potential timeshare buyers coming in every week.

Now for the good things: The room is hands down the nicest timeshare room I have ever stayed in. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and very well maintained and landscaped. My kids liked the trampolines, rock climbing and other activities and the 24 hour pass for $300 pesos was not a bad deal for the amount of entertainment it provided. The staff are well trained and very friendly, with the exception of the front desk and timeshare people. Our concierge, Leo, was awesome. When my daughter was sick he called the doctor, took care of getting her prescriptions and even sent her a dessert and get well card the next day.

This is a nice sprawling resort and wasn't a bad timeshare trade, but I am not sure if I would go back. The construction, the shuttles, and the timeshare pests are all things you can choose to ignore and still have a good vacation, but you can also just go somewhere else and you don't have to deal with these things at all!

Room Tip: Use going to the timeshare presentation as leverage to get a better room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank kaykayram
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We just returned from our fabulous nine day vacation in Nuevo Vallarta at the Grand Luxxe. We were upgraded to the Punta building, in a 3,000 square foot two-bedroom with a personal plunge pool on the deck. The concierge brings you coffee each morning, and the maids do a turn-down each evening and leave chocolates on your pillow.

The suite is beautifully furnished, spacious and calm. The furniture is top-notch and we spent 8 glorious nights sleeping on a wonderful mattress (Simmons Beautyrest Millennium III). The staff is friendly, attentive and learns your name quickly. We spent a large amount of time at the pool at the Punta, which is an infinity edge pool, overlooking Banderas Bay.

We did shuttle over to The Grand Mayan so the kids could do the lazy river and the waterslide, but ultimately we all enjoyed the pool at the Punta the most. The staff comes around and cleans your sunglasses, brings you cool scented towels to refresh your face, and brings you popsicles. They also bring around a Haagen Dazs cart and sell ice cream. There is always a drink of the day that is two for one, and happy hour is 1-2 and 4-5, with 2 for 1 of any cocktail.

I've read the complaints about the construction noise. I think that people need to chill. You're on vacation. Yes, with this kind of luxury comes growing pains. A little noise is worth it. This place is gorgeous.

We spent a week at the Grand Mayan back in 09 and we thought we were in heaven then. I've officially been spoiled for good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family