“One of my favorite spots in Puerto (Nuevo) Vallarta”
Review of Sonora Al Sur

Sonora Al Sur
Reserve with OpenTable
Sonora Al Sur is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 156 Restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I love Sonora. My wife and I have a place in Nuevo Vallarta and we make it a point to come to Sonora on every trip. When you arrive, you get your table. Then you walk toward the back of the restaurant to the butcher shop and pick out your own steak(s) from the shop. Pick cut, size, and how you want it cooked. You also order any and all of the sides you want. GREAT food.

This place is also very flexible as far as dress code. You can come from the beach/pool or dressed to go out later.

I will return here many more times in my life.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had the best meat and very helpful service here. We took our own wine and had it corked there- no charge with a smile. We tried the salad- located at checkout in to go boxes- it was plenty for two and it was really good. Wished I would have bought another to go and had it for lunch the next day. We opted for the pricier cuts: filet and such, which was delicious and perfectly cooked. My hubby also had the mac and cheese and we split a baked potato. Does dinner get better?- I don't think so. We did spy a family dinner next to us that had ordered more of a skirt steak and they ordered up sides like beans, salsa, tortillas- a much cheaper way to go for a family which was pretty smart. The service was really good...up until the end. We ordered a brownie to go and it took 30 min. We were content to sit (it was raining out), but I think we got forgotten at the end. The brownie: not worth the wait. Maybe they just don't make them like we do at home? I still gave them top score- the meal, the service and smiles deserves it.

1  Thank plannit32414
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Sonora Al Sur is fabulous. Delicious food, excellent service with affordable price.
This is a must when visiting Nuevo Vallarta.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Cannot believe the quality, quantity, taste, tenderness and priceof the mea we just had here. Unfortunately we just discovered this place yesterday otherwise we would have eaten here several times. We each selected our cuts of beef and cannot say enough great things about what we ate. All cuts were tender and fantastic. Sides included mushrooms with a garlic sauce, baked mac an cheese, large baked potato , real mashed potatoes and each side was big enough for 2 people. We did not have desert but saw the huge slice of cheesecake with strawberry sauce. Omg!!! The price for 6 people with a generous tip was under $20 pp. I mean, omg, could not move. So stuffed. Best meal in town. TRY THIS PLACE. YOU CANT GO WRONG.

1  Thank kylesgram
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Like many reviews on this restaurant - fantastic. Seriously you can take your own wine, pick your own steak, share sides with friends. One of the best steak dinners in the area. We will now make it one of our go to places when we visit Nuevo Vallarta.

Staff very friendly. Restaurant clean and the atmosphere is great.

Three of us had 2 ribeye steaks, 1t-bone steak, 4 sides (mac and cheese, baked potato, portobello mushrooms in wine and a salad) $600 pesos. No corkage fee for our wine...but please do remember to tip accordingly as they do provide service, wine glasses and of great service.