“Wow, a whole new level of service.”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Caledon, Canada
“Wow, a whole new level of service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We travel quite frequently and have stayed at numerous all inclusive resorts. We have stayed at the Marival Residences and World Spa in NV on two occasions and were very happy with our experiences. I looked on TA to see what else was out there and came upon Grand Velas.

The hotel is on the beach and has a number of pools. The rooms are large and very clean. They came very well equipped including slippers, housecoats and even a straw beach bag. We had a Master Suite Pool view which was on the south side of the building. The balcony has a lounger that was very nice. The downside to being on this side is that it does not get the sun and the pool view means you have to stick your head out to see the ocean.

The rooms come with a small stocked refrigerator (beer, soft drinks, water) as well as a number of complimentary snacks- nice touch!

The turn down service was also nice.

The buffet restaurant, Azure (right next to the beach) was great for breakfast with a large number of food options including omelet stations. We had dinner there the first night and lunch one day- the food was okay but like most buffets it can be cool. Most of the staff at Azure went out of their way to help- they would insist on taking your plate to your table when you were coming back from the buffet-we have never seen that before.

We found the food from the restaurant on the other side of the pool was much better for lunch whether you ordered it from the waiters by the pool/beach or sat down inside the restaurant.

The three al-a-carte restaurants were very good. Our floor concierge arranged the reservations when we arrived for the rest of the week (one less thing that we needed to do). The three restaurants are all located together but you will not see any signage for Freda or Lucca on the main level, they are on the second level above Piaf.

The lobby bar is open at 5 and is a great spot to relax and watch the sunset. Jacqueline did a fantastic job each night- she knew what our favourite wine was and was bringing it to our table before we even sat down.

The beach is quite nice. Beware of the early morning lounge reservers. The pool side seats seemed to be reserved very quickly. Many of these people did not even use their reserved loungers- we found this inconsiderate of other guests. We were given great service on the beach by Jorge and Eduardo. All of the hotel staff work very hard and really do appreciate the tips.

The night life is limited which was okay with us. We usually retired to our room after dinner.

There was a Mexican Nissan Dealers convention going on while we were there. There was some noise on a couple of nights from their entertainment but nothing unbearable.

The hotel did not appear to be at full occupancy.

We are ready to book our trip next November at the Grand Velas.

Room Tip: Spend the money on an ocean view and ask for a room on the north side of the property.
2 Thank tjocCanada
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you for your commentary on your first vacation to Grand Velas. As an avid traveler such as yourself, I am highly pleased that you truly enjoyed your experience with us, and that your first impression has convinced you to reserve with us again for November 2014. You seem to touch on the small details that we provided for you. Jacqueline, Jorge and Eduardo are fine examples of the exemplary service that we provide for our cherished guests. These details are the extras that really culminate in a truly complete and unforgettable experience. Please be assured that your review will be posted for our personnel to view, and it will provide a splendid motivation to them to continue to excel as a team. Thank you again and please contact me when you make your 2014 reservation so as I can monitor the status of your arrival. Seasons Greetings.
rgonzalezrn@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We visited The Grand Velas Nov. 9-16, 2013. We had a very good experience, the rooms were large and very clean. The STAFF was excellent very attentive and polite. The restaurants were all very good, our favorite was Lucca, didn't have the best meal at Piaf. I am not a picky eater but thought the breakfast buffet was good but not over the top. Lunch was always good.
The premises are well maintained and the pools were great, three infinity pools. My biggest issue was the beach, normally I love to lie by the ocean and swim. Rarely do I sit by the pool, but I found the ocean to have a very fishy smell, there were dead fish washed up on the shore all along the coast line and the stingrays were out in full force. Needless to say I did not frequent the beach but sat up by the pools.
As for activities, we took a tour of Puerto Vallarta not much else to do. The hotel was very quiet so if you wanted anything to do a cab was always required.
I visited the Spa which is well worth the money absolutely fantastic, Sylvie did my treatment and I can't say enough.
Would I visit again?? Yes for the hotel but no for the location.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you Jessie for taking the time to describe your recent stay with us. I am of course pleased that you had a very good experience during your holiday and that you felt that our staff was very attentive and polite. Perhaps one of the highlights of your stay was the Spa experience. Silvie is a great part of our Spa staff and I am glad that you really enjoyed your treatment. I do however apologize for any shortcomings you may have felt during your stay. Some things that you touch on are certainly within our reach to improve on, such as not quite reaching your expectations in our dining program. We will of course analyze our product through the client’s eyes to perhaps detect an area for improvement. Your constructive comments along with our internal revisions really help us to put forward the best possible product for our cherished guests and I thank you for letting me know. I am sorry you were here on a very rare occasion when there was a "red tide". During this time there is rare concentration of an algae that kills fish but it only lasts for a few days. It is a natural event, harmless to humans that occurs every four to five years. Normally our beach is very swimmable, and we take such good care of it that is certified as "a clean beach" by our federal environmental agency. Jessie, I do hope that location withstanding, you will find the opportunity to experience anew your very good holiday, and see firsthand that we are certainly working toward exceeding your expectations. Thank you again and Seasons Greetings.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We rented a Grand Ambassador Suite for 11 nights and we're told it was 1750 sq. Feet. Ha there is no way it's more than 600 Sq feet max. One open room with a little bathroom and then you go outside your room and up a stairway to a small patio with a dirty hot tub that has no locked door or anything. Management is unresponsive and plain out rude. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had stay far far away. Just to let you know how bad it is Our family of four travels on a 10 day vacation every 3 months and have been doing so for the last 6 years and I have never even written a review.... stay away....

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank NPSI
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you sirs for bringing this matter to TripAdvisor. I certainly appreciate the views and perspectives of each guest when there is a feeling of dissatisfaction with our product and / or service. At Grand Velas we will do whatever is called for in order to make an issue right. Our goal is to have our clients well attended to and satisfied, especially when the guest is still on premises, as was the case when you posted your critical review on this very forum. It really gave us the opportunity to remedy the issue immediately in order to ensure a successful vacation experience for your entire family. There is no doubt in my mind sir that we did all, and more for your comfort, in order to turn your negative perspective into a more positive direction. In saying all this sir, I do apologize if enough was not done to leave you with a satisfactory sense of atonement. However in all fairness, and as a responsible director of this hotel, I can only do so much to reach the goal before the remedy is so exaggerated to the point where it does not justify the original obstacle. Again sir, I apologize for not meeting your expectations but I will continue to be at task to ensure that all of our cherished guests enjoy their vacation while here at Grand Velas. Thank you.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a lovely resort and the staff are exceptional, but we were very disappointed that they could not fix our hot water and did not offer any compensation for it. When we arrived at our expensive suite, the hot water wasn't working in the shower and they fixed it - but then it went out again the next day. So they again sent a repairman who determined it couldn't be fixed. They then offered to move us to another suite but at that point we only had one night left and we decided it wasn't worth the trouble. We respectfully requested some form of compensation given that we had to get buy w/o a hot shower during our stay but were refused. Other than this, we would have given the resort five stars.

3 Thank K12345
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time in explaining the hot water situation that had transpired. This unique occurrence was indeed brought to my attention while you were with us, and I am aware of the steps that were taken in order to provide the luxurious comforts that you expect from our resort. Unfortunately there was no quick solution, as the hot / cold regulator inside the wall was not functioning and would have to be replaced. It is for that reason that we offered to facilitate a change of suite. However, you did wish to stay in the same suite. And in deciding to stay, we were able to provide you with a second suite in order for you to freshen up with hot water. At certain times it becomes necessary for any resort to look for a better option for their cherished guests, and we were able to provide that. It is pleasing for me to read that you felt that the resort was lovely and that the staff was exceptional. And other than the shower, you were able to enjoy yourself throughout your stay. Thank you again for your comments, and we certainly wish to host you again in the future. Take care.

Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

My daughter chose to have her wedding here & after nearly a year of emails, Geraldine did an amazing job of fulfilling her dream. The ceremony was at the pillars at 5:00 & the candle lit dinner was on a platform on the beach with white couches at the entrance for guests to have appetizers . The sea bass was amazing & all 40 guests would come back again.

Room Tip: Preferred rooms close to the elevators, as the hallways were long.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patti M
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Congratulations Patti on the beautiful wedding of your daughter, and for having selected Grand Velas for this joyous event. Many of the hundreds of details that you visualized leading up to her special day were actually the work of you and others from your family. All culminating in the perfect ambience in which you celebrated this new union. With your vision, our coordinator Geraldine was able to gather and synchronize all the wedding details with your needs and preferences. All together forming an amazing and harmonious evening and truly fulfilling your daughters dream. I am particularly pleased that all of the wedding guests would gladly return to Grand Velas, and I especially hope that we can host Melissa and Kris on their anniversary. Congratulations Patti and thank you again for your lovely comments.

IL, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels around the world....but my pick for the BEST accommodations, service, and room service is Grand Velas!!!! Can't say enough good things about it. Service is over the top. They actually ask you to please tell them if there is anything at all that they can improve on.
The room service is spectacular. When they say it will be there at a certain time....it's almost right to the very minute. AND....your cold food is cold...and your hot food is in a separate 'hot box'...and the plates are so hot the servers have to have a cloth to pick the plate up. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
Rooms are large and the bathrooms are roomy too. Nice selection of sodas, water, and beer in the mini-bar (and they'll stock with more of the ones you like) and there are always snacks restocked each day too.
The beds & pillows were divine too. You will sleep like a baby :)
Hope to visit the resort again.....SOON!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank TravelCindyIL
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Why thank you Cindy for your “over the top” review on your vacation at Grand Velas. You have kindly touched on many of the pleasant aspects that you experienced, and perhaps some major emphasis went to our Suite Service dining experience as well as the suites themselves. It is true that we have focused training on all our service areas, and we wish that the experience of having our guests dine in, feel as if they were at home with want for nothing. And of course if there is ever a need for more, it will be our pleasure to provide the refined abundance that you fancy. I am happy that our suites were to your liking in terms of ample size and luxurious comfort. I certainly hope Cindy that we will indeed be able to host you again in the future to relive this first visit that you thoroughly enjoyed. In the meantime, please take care.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I travelled from Vancouver BC to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit last week, and were absolutely spoiled by the incredible staff and stunning surroundings. I really don't know where to begin my review. The 3 restaurants are absolutely Michelin-star quality, the rooms are large and spacious, and the staff make you feel like family from the time you walk in the front entrance.

If you are looking for a truly memorable experience, you need to book yourself into the Grand Velas Riviera... you will absolutely not be disappointed... in fact, you will be talking about it for years to come. We are already planning our return, and taking our friends with us next time!

Great work Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit!

S&S - Vancouver, BC

Room Tip: 634! Our room, and we loved it! :)
3 Thank Steven D
Thank you Steven for your abundant compliments when describing your holiday with us. Our goal will always be to try to surpass your expectations in all aspects of your stay. I am very pleased that you found this a truly memorable experience and one that will be talked about for years to come. Steven, when you reserve your next stay at Grand Velas, bringing new guests, please contact me so as I can monitor closely your reservation. You truly inspired our staff with your review, and we hope that your next trip is equal or better to the one that you just experienced. Thank you again Steven.
HOTEL GRAND VELAS
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,027 reviews
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!