“December 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Lebanon, Missouri
“December 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Absolutely beautiful property from the moment you arrive in the open air lobby. Lush gardens, clean cut lines and colors, and stunning pools. The pools are lit up beautifully at night and have three tiers ranging in degrees from warm to cool. Food was absolutely wonderful - however my favorite part was our room! There is no room at the property under 1,000 square feet. Our partiular oceanview suite at a bed on the balcony. Pool and beach wait service all day. This property is in my top 3 of places to stay in the Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit area!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lraeb
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you Lindsey for selecting Grand Velas and also for your shining review on your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you felt that we are an “absolutely beautiful property” and that the swimming pools, suites and dining all made a wonderful impression on you. As it is one of our goals to meet or exceed your expectations. Thank you again Lindsey for taking the time in sharing your satisfaction on TripAdvisor. Take care, and have a happy 2014.
rgonzalezrn@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

everything in the hotel is top notch. Beach, pool, staff, service.. Except for few things that you need to know before you book.

1) The food: Food is not gourmet, it is actually below average. In the 3 high quality restaurants, the presentation is 5 star, the staff is great, live music awesome. Everything in the restaurant is top notch except the food. Some dishes are really disgusting. They need to fire all their chefs and re-work out the menu. The table beside us asked to talk the chef, 3 people came from the kitchen (master chefs) and they were like 20-25 years old. Terribly inexperienced very low paid workers. Bottom line, if food a big deal for you (like myself), do not book this hotel.

2) Conference/workgroup booking: This hotel has a conference room and invites groups of LOCALS to do conference and workshops. When I say locals, you need to put 4 lines under it. I read about this before, but still took the risk and booked, apparently I wasted 3 days from my vacation. Those people swarm like locusts and leave nothing behind them and no room for you to do anything. If they come to the bar, you can never get a drink. They swarm to the hot tub, you have no choice but to leave. Wherever they come, everything turn Spanish and local employees prefer them over you. They took our table one day while having lunch in the buffet when bringing food. The sign says "Wait to be seated", well hello, this is only for you. I heard people talking about this kind of experience in other inexpensive hotels, but never imagined it could happen in this hotel.

For me, I still enjoyed my stay very much to be honest. But my expectation for the food quality was a lot higher for a hotel that says 4 diamond restaurant. I don't understand how can a chef mess with cooking pasta and pomodoro sauce

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sam Q
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you Mr. Sam for expressing your feelings concerning your vacation with us. Although you mention that the hotel is top-notch and that you very much enjoyed your stay, I am highly concerned with how you perceived the quality of your dining experience. I do appreciate the observations and opinions of every valued guest, as I recognize that they are the reason for our success. However, I apologize profusely to you and your family for not having reached your expectations in question of our gastronomical product. Please note that we will continue to strive to offer the highest possible culinary quality to our clients. And I believe that in our ten years of hosting guests from all spectrums and lands, that we have been able to generate a great satisfaction in the vast majority of them for our gastronomic tour. I do realize also that individual taste is partially attributed to personal perception, and I appreciate yours. However based on the many, very positive comments on our program, I will continue along the path of “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” strategy. Again Mr. Sam, I apologize for your disappointment in our cuisine, but we will carefully go forward in working smartly so that all of our clients who vacation with us continue to enjoy positive memories. Take care sir.

Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and our first time staying at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. We travel to the Riviera Maya near Cancun twice a year but decided to bring my spouse here as a surprise birthday getaway. I have to say we were very impressed with our stay at GV making it to the top of our list of resorts. I have to say I was a little apprehensive booking Grand Velas since it allows children and it wasn’t adult only like other resorts we have stayed at. This turned out not to be a big issue as there were very few children probably due to the time of year (early November), and for the most part were well behaved in the restaurants. Things might be entirely different during prime family vacation times so something to keep in mind if you don’t want to deal with a lot of kids.

Checking in was probably the most painless process of anywhere we have stayed. We were seated in the lobby and brought cold towels, a refreshing tea drink and then a quick neck and shoulder massage while we completed our paperwork. This took only a few minutes and we were brought to our very spacious Ambassador Grand Class Suite that had a large ocean facing balcony with Jacuzzi. This is probably one of the largest resort rooms we have ever stayed in so if you can splurge a little this is the room to shoot for. It also looked exactly like the photos online.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the outdoor, beachfront Azul where the buffet was always very good but pretty standard. Tried it for dinner one night where you can order off the menu and it was actually very good. The gourmet restaurants Lucca, Frida and Piaf were definitely worthy of their 4 diamond rating. They were equal if not better than some of the fine dining restaurants we have eaten at in Las Vegas. We also liked the fact that they had live music in each restaurant. Our concierge Georgiana was wonderful and must have notified the restaurants of my spouses birthday since each one of them provided a birthday desert and sang.

Even though it wasn’t the Caribbean beach that we were used to the beach area was still very nice and you could choose from either day beds or lounge chairs with a covering. We never had any problems finding a spot when we went around 9:30 in the morning while we were there. We did however notice that when the weekend came the resort was much busier due to a Mexican holiday so spots filled up pretty quickly. I liked that they had different sections in the pool area where you could lay either close to the pool or further away under a covering.

The spa was first class and just a notch up from any other resort spa’s that we have visited. I loved the orange juice and honey drink you receive when you arrive. I also enjoyed the spa ceremony prior to the massage, very interesting and unique.

Even though the entire stay was fantastic there were just a couple of things that bothered me. One of them being no free wireless access. I had to purchase a 3 day package for $39 and 1 day for $16 so I could use my laptop the 4 days I was there. I don’t know of many resorts/hotels that don’t offer free wireless access anymore and since you can get free wireless at any Starbucks this is not fitting of a first class resort. The second is that you receive a bill after all your meals to sign even though it is a zero amount. This is the first time we have seen this at an all-inclusive resort unless of course you order wine from the wine list. The only conclusion that we could come up with is so you could tip your servers based on the cost of your meal. Wasn’t a big deal as we always tip at all-inclusives anyway even though gratuities are included but it bothered me to think it was expected.

I have to say that almost every resort where we have stayed has provided good customer service but Grand Velas seems to have taken it a step further. Each and every employee made us feel like we were special and that we were the only people staying there. In my opinion that is quite an achievement. It takes a lot to impress me but somehow they pulled it off so we plan on making a return visit very soon.

Room Tip: If you can swing it the Ambassador Grand Class Suites were fantastic.
6 Thank Robert P
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you Robert for selecting Grand Velas as your surprise birthday getaway for your spouse. It always makes us especially proud to receive new guests to our resort, and of course to Riviera Nayarit / Puerto Vallarta. To be able to exceed your expectations based on your vast vacation experience is certainly a huge delight for us, and in reading your kind words, you generate a positive reinforcement for our personnel. It is my pleasure to inform you that thanks to your input, and the suggestions of others, the basic internet is now complementary for all of our guests. As a Five Diamond Hotel, we are now that much closer to the perfection that we strive for. I am very pleased that you felt that our customer service is a step above that of the previous resorts in which you have visited. As persons, you are very special to us, and your overall satisfaction is our primary goal. Please feel free to let me know when you can return to this side of Mexico as it will be my pleasure to welcome you personally when you arrive. And keep in mind that we have a sister resort in Playa del Carmen, Grand Velas Riviera Maya, which would love to host you as well if your inkling is to return to the Caribbean coast in the future. Thank you again Robert for your new friendship and Seasons Greetings.

Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We travel quite frequently and have stayed at numerous all inclusive resorts. We have stayed at the Marival Residences and World Spa in NV on two occasions and were very happy with our experiences. I looked on TA to see what else was out there and came upon Grand Velas.

The hotel is on the beach and has a number of pools. The rooms are large and very clean. They came very well equipped including slippers, housecoats and even a straw beach bag. We had a Master Suite Pool view which was on the south side of the building. The balcony has a lounger that was very nice. The downside to being on this side is that it does not get the sun and the pool view means you have to stick your head out to see the ocean.

The rooms come with a small stocked refrigerator (beer, soft drinks, water) as well as a number of complimentary snacks- nice touch!

The turn down service was also nice.

The buffet restaurant, Azure (right next to the beach) was great for breakfast with a large number of food options including omelet stations. We had dinner there the first night and lunch one day- the food was okay but like most buffets it can be cool. Most of the staff at Azure went out of their way to help- they would insist on taking your plate to your table when you were coming back from the buffet-we have never seen that before.

We found the food from the restaurant on the other side of the pool was much better for lunch whether you ordered it from the waiters by the pool/beach or sat down inside the restaurant.

The three al-a-carte restaurants were very good. Our floor concierge arranged the reservations when we arrived for the rest of the week (one less thing that we needed to do). The three restaurants are all located together but you will not see any signage for Freda or Lucca on the main level, they are on the second level above Piaf.

The lobby bar is open at 5 and is a great spot to relax and watch the sunset. Jacqueline did a fantastic job each night- she knew what our favourite wine was and was bringing it to our table before we even sat down.

The beach is quite nice. Beware of the early morning lounge reservers. The pool side seats seemed to be reserved very quickly. Many of these people did not even use their reserved loungers- we found this inconsiderate of other guests. We were given great service on the beach by Jorge and Eduardo. All of the hotel staff work very hard and really do appreciate the tips.

The night life is limited which was okay with us. We usually retired to our room after dinner.

There was a Mexican Nissan Dealers convention going on while we were there. There was some noise on a couple of nights from their entertainment but nothing unbearable.

The hotel did not appear to be at full occupancy.

We are ready to book our trip next November at the Grand Velas.

Room Tip: Spend the money on an ocean view and ask for a room on the north side of the property.
2 Thank tjocCanada
Thank you for your commentary on your first vacation to Grand Velas. As an avid traveler such as yourself, I am highly pleased that you truly enjoyed your experience with us, and that your first impression has convinced you to reserve with us again for November 2014. You seem to touch on the small details that we provided for you. Jacqueline, Jorge and Eduardo are fine examples of the exemplary service that we provide for our cherished guests. These details are the extras that really culminate in a truly complete and unforgettable experience. Please be assured that your review will be posted for our personnel to view, and it will provide a splendid motivation to them to continue to excel as a team. Thank you again and please contact me when you make your 2014 reservation so as I can monitor the status of your arrival. Seasons Greetings.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We visited The Grand Velas Nov. 9-16, 2013. We had a very good experience, the rooms were large and very clean. The STAFF was excellent very attentive and polite. The restaurants were all very good, our favorite was Lucca, didn't have the best meal at Piaf. I am not a picky eater but thought the breakfast buffet was good but not over the top. Lunch was always good.
The premises are well maintained and the pools were great, three infinity pools. My biggest issue was the beach, normally I love to lie by the ocean and swim. Rarely do I sit by the pool, but I found the ocean to have a very fishy smell, there were dead fish washed up on the shore all along the coast line and the stingrays were out in full force. Needless to say I did not frequent the beach but sat up by the pools.
As for activities, we took a tour of Puerto Vallarta not much else to do. The hotel was very quiet so if you wanted anything to do a cab was always required.
I visited the Spa which is well worth the money absolutely fantastic, Sylvie did my treatment and I can't say enough.
Would I visit again?? Yes for the hotel but no for the location.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you Jessie for taking the time to describe your recent stay with us. I am of course pleased that you had a very good experience during your holiday and that you felt that our staff was very attentive and polite. Perhaps one of the highlights of your stay was the Spa experience. Silvie is a great part of our Spa staff and I am glad that you really enjoyed your treatment. I do however apologize for any shortcomings you may have felt during your stay. Some things that you touch on are certainly within our reach to improve on, such as not quite reaching your expectations in our dining program. We will of course analyze our product through the client’s eyes to perhaps detect an area for improvement. Your constructive comments along with our internal revisions really help us to put forward the best possible product for our cherished guests and I thank you for letting me know. I am sorry you were here on a very rare occasion when there was a "red tide". During this time there is rare concentration of an algae that kills fish but it only lasts for a few days. It is a natural event, harmless to humans that occurs every four to five years. Normally our beach is very swimmable, and we take such good care of it that is certified as "a clean beach" by our federal environmental agency. Jessie, I do hope that location withstanding, you will find the opportunity to experience anew your very good holiday, and see firsthand that we are certainly working toward exceeding your expectations. Thank you again and Seasons Greetings.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We rented a Grand Ambassador Suite for 11 nights and we're told it was 1750 sq. Feet. Ha there is no way it's more than 600 Sq feet max. One open room with a little bathroom and then you go outside your room and up a stairway to a small patio with a dirty hot tub that has no locked door or anything. Management is unresponsive and plain out rude. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had stay far far away. Just to let you know how bad it is Our family of four travels on a 10 day vacation every 3 months and have been doing so for the last 6 years and I have never even written a review.... stay away....

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank NPSI
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you sirs for bringing this matter to TripAdvisor. I certainly appreciate the views and perspectives of each guest when there is a feeling of dissatisfaction with our product and / or service. At Grand Velas we will do whatever is called for in order to make an issue right. Our goal is to have our clients well attended to and satisfied, especially when the guest is still on premises, as was the case when you posted your critical review on this very forum. It really gave us the opportunity to remedy the issue immediately in order to ensure a successful vacation experience for your entire family. There is no doubt in my mind sir that we did all, and more for your comfort, in order to turn your negative perspective into a more positive direction. In saying all this sir, I do apologize if enough was not done to leave you with a satisfactory sense of atonement. However in all fairness, and as a responsible director of this hotel, I can only do so much to reach the goal before the remedy is so exaggerated to the point where it does not justify the original obstacle. Again sir, I apologize for not meeting your expectations but I will continue to be at task to ensure that all of our cherished guests enjoy their vacation while here at Grand Velas. Thank you.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a lovely resort and the staff are exceptional, but we were very disappointed that they could not fix our hot water and did not offer any compensation for it. When we arrived at our expensive suite, the hot water wasn't working in the shower and they fixed it - but then it went out again the next day. So they again sent a repairman who determined it couldn't be fixed. They then offered to move us to another suite but at that point we only had one night left and we decided it wasn't worth the trouble. We respectfully requested some form of compensation given that we had to get buy w/o a hot shower during our stay but were refused. Other than this, we would have given the resort five stars.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank K12345
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time in explaining the hot water situation that had transpired. This unique occurrence was indeed brought to my attention while you were with us, and I am aware of the steps that were taken in order to provide the luxurious comforts that you expect from our resort. Unfortunately there was no quick solution, as the hot / cold regulator inside the wall was not functioning and would have to be replaced. It is for that reason that we offered to facilitate a change of suite. However, you did wish to stay in the same suite. And in deciding to stay, we were able to provide you with a second suite in order for you to freshen up with hot water. At certain times it becomes necessary for any resort to look for a better option for their cherished guests, and we were able to provide that. It is pleasing for me to read that you felt that the resort was lovely and that the staff was exceptional. And other than the shower, you were able to enjoy yourself throughout your stay. Thank you again for your comments, and we certainly wish to host you again in the future. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,323 reviews

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!