“Premium service at a beautiful resort”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Premium service at a beautiful resort”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Grand Velas has beautiful grounds, great rooms and a huge Multi tier pool. All of these are overshadowed by their excellent service. I mean really, really excellent. All the we encounter spoke good English and had a "can-do" attitude. We really enjoyed our seven day, six night stay.

Try the French restaurant Piaf, the food is amazing. The only part we were disappoints in was little kids in the fine dinning areas. Like little kids who scream out loud and need high chairs for their dolls. The management team can feel free to enforce the 12 year old or older rule in the fine dining areas.

Special thanks to the concierge Carina!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LetsGo800
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you very much for your glowing comments on our resort and in particular our service staff. With your amount of travel experience as a Top Contributor to TripAdvisor we feel extra proud to have achieved your lofty expectations. And of course you are right that we have to enforce correctly the age limits in our fine dining restaurants so that the culinary experience can be enjoyed to its optimum level of quality. For your observation I personally apologize and I will see to it that the rules and recommendations are better adhered to. I would definitely like to see you come back to Grand Velas so you can continue to experience our “can do” attitude. Thank you again and kind regards to Dallas. Take care.

rgonzalezrn@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
Los ANgeles
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We've been to the Grand Velas many times, and it never fails to impress us. We are always amazed that they can offer the service, food and friendliness all in one package! Another reviewer mentioned the corporate functions, and I must say it was pretty annoying. The resort is not large (which is the great part about it), but when a group comes in, the whole atmosphere changes. They practically take over! The music from the pool bar is too loud and the alcohol seems to change the atmosphere. Quite obnoxious at times. The time between conferences was great and they couldn't be helpful or cater to us enough. Tips are not expected, but much appreciated.

Room Tip: The "pool" view refers to the lower floors. The "ocean" view rooms are higher u...
1 Thank Dorado9
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you so much for your continued loyalty and for allowing us to “impress” you with each and every visit. We as a leader in the market very much value that marked patronage and are continuing to address the issues that you and others have mentioned concerning large groups that are enjoying some winter time on the beach. But in question of private functions we can and will do things differently so that you can enjoy a special time on your vacation. It is my goal to make every single one of our valued guests feel just as important as if they were the only ones in the resort. We are implementing various specials for our non-group guests whenever any group activities are large scale. We do this to demonstrate that your decision to vacation with us was the correct one and so that your beach enjoyment continue to be positive. I thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention, but please be rest assured that our goal for you has not changed. It only gets better. Thank you and kind regards to Los Angeles.

Chapel Hill
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Background: 2nd time to Mexico (first time was Le Blanc in Cancun). Anniversary trip with my partner. Read blogs and researched for about a month before booking. Prefer adults-only resorts and a laid-back atmosphere. Usually take one beach vacation a year. 2nd time at an all-inclusive resort.

Hotel...Hotel has an authentic, airy Mexican feel. The hotel layout is in the shape of an U where all the rooms face towards the ocean, all rooms are on inside of the U and the outside are open air glassed hallways with a view of Nuevo Vallarta. The lobby is amazing, open air with a water feature in the center and an awesomely high thatched roof. Upon entering you can see the pool and ocean and there is lots of casual seating everywhere. One negative was that there was a conference at the resort for the duration of our trip, which meant that the pool area gets busy early!

The room...we started off in a corner room on the second floor. Room was very dark and had a very limited view, mainly of the landscaping in the immediate area (limited view of the pool, no view of the ocean). Normally I wouldn't care much, but the room really was quite dark. We ended up putting in a request to change our room only to hear that the hotel was full, but a front desk agent said that we could change the room the following day. We tried again the next day and the desk agent said that we could not change the room...this annoyed me a bit, especially since someone had already told us that we would be able to change it. After about twenty minutes of back and forth they upgraded our room. When I say upgrade I mean UPGRADE. It was an ocean front room below the penthouse...simply amazing! I did go back down to the desk and thanked the agent and took care of her for correcting the situation. Would have paid to upgrade to that room. All rooms are large and spacious.

Food...Buffet/International restaurant is ocean front. Food options change daily, lots of fruit and dietetic options in addition to the typical buffet options. Frida, the authentic Mexican restaurant, was my favorite. Delicious food and exactly the kind of food I would want to eat while in Mexico. Lucca, the Italian, would be my 2nd preferred, and Piaf, the French, was the 3rd. The French felt very forced, too much focus on aesthetics and not enough on flavor. Poolside menu was surprisingly delicious. Lots of fresh seafood options - the mixed ceviche was AWESOME.

And the beverages...top shelf liquor, but you need to ask for it, call it. No liquor in room, only beer and sodas. Have to request shots of alcohol at a time and they deliver to the room. Poolside bar was my hangout, Alfredo made the days fun and he was always full of energy and a smile. An annoying aspect of the poolside bar is that the kids kind of take over it at times. They order blended sugary drinks nonstop, which they usually don't finish, and then ditch them somewhere. These drinks take a lot of time to make and the machine is loud and constant going. And there were bees EVERYWHERE at the bar. Never got stung, but its very disconcerting.

Pool...large pool(s). Designated kiddie pool, but of course they usually stick to the main infinity pool by the swim-up bar. Staff was big about getting people involved. Have to get up EARLY to reserve a chair or make friends with the pool staff (and take care of them for it daily). If not it is nearly impossible to find a chair since they all get reserved early. We went down early before breakfast and then back up to the room to change and get all sun-blocked-up.

Beach...sandy beach. Got pinched/poked by something which made me bleed for a while, but no biggie (I think it was a pufferfish, saw some along the shore further down the beach). Stayed out of the water after that, but it was just one of those random occurrences.

Gym...nice size gym with classes and personal trainers available. TVs on the new and fancy cardio equipment. Water/Juice available along with towels. Free weight selection is decent and the cable machines provide everything that you would expect from your own local gym. Busiest in the morning, best to go after you're done with the pool/sun in the afternoon.

Location...located 20-30 minutes North of Puerto Vallarta in Nuevo Vallarta, quiet remote location. Took a cab into town once and only once, very authentic Mexico - charming and interesting. Just to long of a drive when staying at such a lovely resort. If you book a vacation package, forego the transportation - just grab a cab from the airport for $20 (confirm the price ahead of time).

Overall a great trip. Lots of families, but we made an effort to sit away from those groups and more so around other couples. Great room, good food, plenty of adult beverages, and excellent service. The location was a bit too off for me, but it was still enjoyable. I am a big advocate of tipping for good service, but I did feel that some employees lingered for tips. I didn't notice many other people tipping so as a result I think we attracted the attention of many employees, almost too much, but we never wanted for anything because of it. Its definitely worth trying if you are looking to stay in that area.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, but not all have ocean views due to some corners in the building and the b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank carameldude
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for such a detailed review of your first vacation to Riviera Nayarit and to Grand Velas. I am truly sorry that we took so long to resolve your change of suites. I will review our procedures to make sure that this does not happen again. We certainly strive to look for the means to leave our guests satisfied and well attended to during the full course of their stay. It is very nice that you were able to fully dine throughout our culinary tour and that you found personal favorites along with constructive observations. Chef Claudio, my executive chef will be reading your review as well and taking the appropriate steps to enhance the flavor as noted in your Piaf observation. I am very glad that you chose our resort for your anniversary and I hope that the experience that you and your partner felt made this a memorable one. I thank you again for your insightful comments and send my greetings all the way to North Carolina. Take care.

Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We just returned yesterday and had another delightful visit. Service is impeccable as always and we have stayed at this GV 3 times and have also stayed at the other GV in Riviera Maya 3 times as well.

The only negative thing I have to say about our stay was the first morning we had the room cleaned (we arrived on a Saturday), it was obvious someone had rifled through my husband's briefcase. I am assuming they were looking for money (none there), but there were some important documents with some sensitive material (we were there for a conference) inside and that took my husband quite a bit of our vacation to correct in case something had been compromised. I encouraged him to just let the manager know, but he didn't want to get anyone in trouble. I know that nobody can legislate honesty, so we don't hold the resort responsible, but it was surprising as we have never had anything like this happen before.

The staff were all great and we enjoyed Israel at Azul , all the pool staff and the waiters in all the specialty restaurants were wonderful as well.

I had room service twice and the food was hot and delicious. This time my favorite restaurant was Frida (usually it was Piaf) and the veal chop with a spicy sauce made with 6 or 7 chilies was to die for. I wish I had asked for the recipe for that sauce, it was so good. I also loved the Mexican specialty dishes at breakfast. There was only one morning at Azul that they had a pork dish with almost a spicy BBQ sauce Pork Chillirito (or something like that) and I would get up early every day to see if they had it. They didn't but I would go back if I knew they were serving it again.

I didn't care for the food much at the conference. The night they had different pasta stations was so congested that I wound up just having a roll to eat.No problem…room service took care of us.They did have a nice grill one night on the beach and that was good, but the first night's pool reception left a lot to be desired.All the food was stone cold. Nobody cared though as the wine was flowing and liquor was all top shelf. They do a very nice conference , but the food was tremendously better after it was over (we stayed late and came early). Most people think that these things are free, but we were still paying almost 600 a night and were glad to get back to the specialty places.

We had a couples massage that was excellent and the little ceremony at the end was very touching. After being married for almost 25 years, we found it relaxing and special.

The bands in the lobby bar in the evening were talented and we enjoyed dancing to them. I also loved the trombone player in Piaf and he was shocked when I gave him a nice tip, but he really did play ALL my favorite songs beautifully.

So it was a nice trip, but I think we will be back to Riviera Maya next time. It is just hard for me to love the Pacific though the skyline was breathtaking. You will enjoy this resort. We tipped well and tipped often and I encourage you to do so as well. The employees work very hard.

3 Thank Peaches0422
Thank you so much for your kind comments and for your loyalty to the Grand Velas hotels. As frequent guests you will have come to know many of our fine employees very well in each of our resorts. And in order to maintain the high quality of personnel that we staff we do find it important to know if there are ever any anomalies that our guests may find during their visits with us. In question of security I must say that we do have an exceptional record, but I would appreciate it if you would contact me so that we can perhaps investigate the situation in which you are mentioning. I am glad that our restaurants Piaf and Frida were to your immense liking. Our executive chef Claudio will be very pleased that you became enamored with his spicy veal chops with salsa chile. I would also like to send you the recipe when you are able to make contact with me. The pork chicharron is a very traditional Mexican delicacy and is offered more in summer. However, whenever you are with us please feel free to make your request and chef Claudio will be delighted to create your favorite dish just for you. The chef will also find himself busy in making sure that our culinary selection for group events are of an excellent standard in terms of quality and temperature. I personally will be taking up the matter with him to ensure that all aspects of our culinary tour are to our guest’s expectations. Please be assured that Israel in Azul, along with our entire lobby bar staff will be made aware of your personal compliments and that will motivate them even further. We look forward to hosting you both on the Pacific side as well as on our Caribbean coast. Take care and best regards to Atlanta.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed 7 days at grand velas, first 4 days part of a conference and 3 days after on our own.
We loved the service, the pool was great, spa was awesome and the beach was fine. Things we did not like are the following: we spent over 3 hrs on our arrival to finally get the room we had paid for. They claimed to be fully booked and only had queen bed rooms available, that was not true, since they showed us after 3 hrs 3 rooms with king bed. They claimed restaurants were booked from 7 to 10 pm and half the restaurant were empty at that time, same for spa as well. That seemed to be the pattern. We were also disappointed when the Mexican restaurant was out of mussels and sea bass at 7:00 pm and the Japanese restaurant was out oyster by 7:30.

Things we really liked: the staff were very friendly and eager to help, at the pool they were there for serving you drinks, food, ice cream. They even came over to clean our glasses.

The quality of food was superb as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Amkh47
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your comments and for staying the three extra days with us after your conference was completed. I am very pleased that the level of service was to your great liking and that you found the quality of our cuisine to be superb. I do however deeply apologize for the shortcomings that you mentioned. We wish to have all of our guests registered upon arrival and checked into their suites at the promised time. I am glad though that after viewing various suites that we finally found the location and configuration that you liked. I do wish however that your restaurant reservations were handled better than how you described. Our team of concierges is always on hand to ensure that our guests are pre-reserved in the restaurant of their choice beforehand in order to avoid any situations at the moment at the door. Of course being only a couple wishing to dine we could have accommodated you to your liking without hesitation, and for that I ask that you excuse us on this occasion. We will as of this date make sure that our more favorite menu choices in all of our restaurants are in abundance to handle the possible high demand for any particular item or dish. Please note that for freshness sake we try not to overstock ingredients, however we can forecast to a better degree what is ordered more frequently and plan accordingly. I am pleased that you brought these details to my attention as this is precisely how we better our product for the long term thanks to your observations. I so hope that we can have the opportunity in the future to demonstrate that we have grown for the better based on your comments and suggestions. Thank you and warm greeting to Portland. Oregon. Take care.
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We just returned from a week at Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta (January 2014). If you are looking for exceptional service, great food, beautiful pool area, prime location on fantastic beach and did I mention exceptional service, then book Grand Velas right away! This was our 7th trip to Nuevo Vallarta but we had never stayed here before. This place is simply outstanding in all areas. Let's start with the location. It is perfectly located on this beautiful beach. Second, the facilities are quite nice. We were upgraded to the Governor's Suite and it was spectacular in every way! WOW! The food in the restaurants was amazing and they pay great detail to the presentation of the food. The food in the buffet was even great and that doesn't happen at resorts very often. But what makes this place stand out over every other resort I have been to is the SERVICE! They offer exceptional service in all areas of the resort from the staff that greet you as you arrive in the lobby to the staff at the front desk to the staff that bring your bags to your room to the concierge to the restaurant staff to the pool staff to the maid staff...need I go on? All staff serve you but what is different from other resorts is that they do it with a positive, refreshingly pleasant attitude. I want to specifically call out Rafael at the pool. He made our days so relaxing by anticipating our every need and being right there when we needed him. Also, our concierge, Vidal Pena, was always available to help us with booking an activity to answering questions and all with a smile!! For those of you that stay at beach resorts, listen up....there is absolutely NO FIGHTING FOR CHAIRS and NO TOWEL ISSUES!! This is huge! The towels are waiting on the chairs and you can get as many as you want. No fussing with towel cards or limiting the number you get and no need to take them to the room to save them for the morning. We just left them on our loungers and they were taken care of. The pool staff made sure everyone had a lounger whether on the beach or by the pool. As you can tell, we really were impressed by this resort. If I had to come up with a complaint, I would say that the Wifi is slow and they charge for it. Don't hesitate to stay here! Service with a smile and a beautiful property will make your vacation a memorable one!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view! We started out on the second floor but were upgraded to th...
2 Thank CircleofFriends
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you very much for your sterling comments on your first vacation to Grand Velas. I am particularly pleased that after staying at various resorts in Nuevo Vallarta you felt that we were “simply outstanding in all areas”. The exceptional comfort of our cherished guests is really the service orientated philosophy that we promote amongst our personnel. Our wish to please accompanied with being pro active results in very satisfied vacationers. Our product and installations we feel are second to none, and the personal aspect in which you describe as “service with a smile” combined to create a new benchmark for your standards. I am very happy that our culinary tour exceeded your expectations from ala carte, buffet to room service. Please be assured that Rafael and Vidal will be commended for their memorable service to you. I thank you again for your glowing review and for your quality photos. We as a team send you warm memories all the way to the Twin Cities. Take care.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It was the same as last year, only better. I can't really put my finger on it but Grand Velas seemed to have upped its already excellent standards. Others comment on the good food, very nice restaurants and great service and its all true, but somehow it all seemed a bit sharper and better than last year -- and we loved it last year. Here are my comments/pointers:

We're not really spa / message people and didn't go last year. What a mistake. We went twice this year. It is well worth the cost. Luxurious in every way, starting with complete water services with your personal guide (sauna, steam, hot tub, foot jets and hot and cold dunks), and then an incredible message.

We loved taking the water taxi from the marina just down the street to downtown Puerta Vallarta. Its about a 10 - 15 minute walk (or a short taxi ride) -- you turn right out of the main entrance. The hotel is in the very large Nuevo Vallarta resort development, which seems very safe. Walk past the Starbucks and little shopping mall building and make a left down the boat ramp. They run every half hour. Capt. George runs it. Dalia (whom you will fall in love with too) or her sister (who was away most of our visit) in the lobby can help with the details. You can go round trip on the taxi, or return by land taxi. We felt very safe, and PV is fun.

Can't wait to back back next year.

Room Tip: We had the Master Suite last year and a Grand Parlor this year. Both are very nice. The Master Sui...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bill, thank you very much for sharing your glowing comments and insights for the benefit of all who read these reviews. The difference in the service that you refer to, or the added “sharpness” that you noticed is really due to the positive feedback that we have been receiving from you and from many other of our valued guests. For example, the reviews that are posted on TripAdvisor are now posted for all the staff to examine (translated into Spanish). And it really inspires and motivates us to perform professionally and more efficiently for you and for all our clients. Individual employees are now personally recognized for their positive contributions to each guest that has noted them as being extraordinary. The genuine smiles and happiness of our guests creates an ever-growing feeling of pride in all of us for a job well done. Actually many of the betterments of our product and service are directly attributed to our guests comments. Our fundamental understanding is that you the client is what make us successful, and in a large part we rely on you to help direct us toward a mutual prosperity for the future. Bill, on behalf of the 560 employees of Grand Velas I thank you and all of our cherished clients for helping us to be the resort that we are. Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in person on your next visit. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#2 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!