“Great hotel and worth a trip”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, TX
“Great hotel and worth a trip”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I traveled to the property for a work/vacation and I was pleased with the overall service and quality of the resort. The rooms were large and in great condition. There were two closets with the space you normally have become accustom to in hotels. This was great in terms of having room to store your items. There is a large living area and we had an amazing balcony view that overlooked the pool area and ocean.

The staff was top notch and catered to our every need. I thought the pool area was fantastic and the view overlooking the ocean was relaxing and made you want to spend more time outdoors, while at the same time the waiters and bartenders took care of you!

The beach area was what you would normally expect for the quality of hotel and my only complaint was the number of vendors that were allowed to roam the beach and approach you. That type of interaction made me want to spend more time by the pool so I wouldn't have to worry about being bothered.

The fitness area is good and has up to date equipment. The resort did have daily activities in the gym if you area a fan of yoga, zumba, etc. There was usually something scheduled daily. I wasn't overly impressed with the tennis area, which consisted of a single court on the roof. Not only was it not well kept, it was unbearably hot and this is in February. I would normally say this shouldn't be an issue, but the courts were booked solid during the days I was onsite, so it did appear many had the same idea I did in trying to get a game in prior to some pool time.

The food was ok...that was probably my biggest disappointment. The restaurants that require reservations had by far the best food, but it was just ok. I thought the buffet food quality was average at best and after the first day I stuck to room service (which you could get at anytime) and the restaurants that required reservations. I will say that room service did have probably some of the best food, so if you like to wake up, watch the sun rise and get a good breakfast then room service is a good way to go.

All in all a good resort and one I would visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for having chosen Grand Velas for your working vacation. What better way is there to do work or business than in the tropical climates of Mexico. I am very pleased that you consider the resort to be a “great hotel and worth a trip”. It is my goal to have all aspects of our valuable guests´ vacation to be at a premium level. However, together with my executive chef we are revising the buffet menu and its presentation in order to see what adjustments would be beneficial for all of our clients. And as a proactive company we will make changes when they can be considered improvements. I am very glad that our gourmet venues and room service were to your great satisfaction. I also thank you for your observation on our tennis court and its quality. My maintenance manager will be looking closely at this area in order to have it in great condition. I thank you for your kind and helpful comments and I hope that you find the opportunity to return and enjoy your breakfast on your terrace watching the sun rise. Take care and kind regards to Dallas, Texas.

imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This resort was simply amazing!!! From the beautiful views to the fabulous service! Our concierge Alejandro went above and beyond to make our stay memorable! Would definitely go back for another visit!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for thinking of us in such high fashion. We are very proud to create memorable experiences for our valued guests and to have you thinking of us for another visit is one of our goals. I will pass along your kind recognition to Alejandro your concierge so he can see firsthand the fruits of his splendid labor. Thank you again and we wish you all the best this year in Nashville, TN. Take care.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I (along with my work team) recently stayed at the Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit Hotel and I have to say it was NOT what we expected of an all inclusive hotel!! Not only was the service absolutely INCREDIBLE everywhere you went on the property, but the amenities are beautiful! From the incredible suites, to the Spa (BEST massage EVER-ask for Gloria), but the food at the restaurants, especially the French on "Piaf" was amazing. I highly recommend staying there if you are looking for a getaway with your partner/spouse! Felt like a princess from the moment I exited the taxi and got my welcome massage!

Room Tip: All rooms look out onto the pool & ocean!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malena E
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
It pleases me immensely Malena that we were able to show you our concept of luxury all inclusive, which we think is unique, and to break the stereotypic images that one normally associates to an all inclusive. Your kind words on our service, culinary tour and spa (and Gloria) amongst other aspects help to culminate in that feeling of being a “princess” as you so described. Malena, I hope that you can someday return to Grand Velas to enjoy again all the positives that made this first visit memorable and special. Thank you for your gracious observations and for your recommendation and we wish you all the best in your business endeavors in beautiful Miami, FL. Take care.

Wolfville, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Grand velas is a wonderful resort with so much to do for kids and adults. The staff are so friendly and the food is wonderful the sunset on the band eras bay was and always is beautiful. We stayed in the presidential suite. And it was great too. It was a great trip

Stayed February 2014
Thank you Rory for selecting Grand Velas for your February holiday. I am very pleased that you came away from your trip with an “amazing” feeling and that the numerous aspects of your stay were more than satisfactory. I hope that you find the opportunity to return again in order to relive the happy and comfortable atmosphere along with the great views from the presidential suite. Take care and all the best to you in beautiful Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
Gate City, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our poolside server Francisco Gonzalez went above and beyond for usduring our stay I wish I could take him with me on all of my vacations. The triple infinity pool was the coolest experience and I normally am a beach lover vs pool

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
Michelle thank you for your kind words on Francisco your waiter at our pool area. He is a great example for all of our staff when it comes to guest satisfaction. I am especially pleased that our swimming areas were to your great delight and that they impressed you to the point of using the three pools constantly. I will make sure that Francisco receives a copy of your fine praise and on behalf of him and all of the Grand Velas staff I wish you a great summer up in Gate City, VA. Take care.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Grand Velas delivers on everything advertised. All of the staff are fantastic. Special shout out to our pool waiter Alfonso who went above and beyond every day. Also a special thank you to our Bellman Alejandro who did a great job as we waited to leave. The suite was great but I don't think we'd get the Ambassador Penthouse again. The top floor patio seemed unnecessary. We only used it once.
The restaurants are all exceptional!
Overall, great views, great facilities, great food, and above all, great people!
Can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bkoop
Great pictures that you took. Thank you for sharing them with everybody and also for your kind comments. Alfonso and Alejandro are to be commended for their positive roles in your vacation experience. It is pleasing to read that practically all aspects of your stay were to your great satisfaction and that you “can´t wait to return”. The great views and photos that you display look like they were taken from your penthouse suite. Very breathtaking shots and well done. I wish that on your subsequent visits we live up to your new expectations in resort vacationing and continue to host you in the warm and professional manner that symbolizes Grand Velas. Thank you again and I wish you a fabulous summer this year. Take care.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our one year anniversary. Check-in went smoothly until we arrived at our room. The room had 2 "queen" size beds (they appeared to be full, not queen beds). Being that it was our anniversary we had requested and were hoping for a king room. Additionally, the room appeared a bit old and outdated. When we called and asked to speak with the manager we were immediately told that there was nothing that he could do so we decided to go bak down to the lobby to discuss it. Once we were back in the lobby we were told that a king room was available in another room category but we would have to pay extra for it until a king room in our room category became available. This seemed silly and overall we found the manager unhelpful. In the end we stayed in the room one night and were transferred to a king room in our category the next day. The new room was lovely and very up to date.

The food and service in all the restaurants is very good. The service by the pool (if you get Alfonso!!) is exceptional. The waitresses serving drinks on the patio in the evening are so pleasant and really do a wonderful job. The grounds are beautiful and well manicured. The pool is kept at a nice temperature (not too cold). The beach is nice but not like the carribbean since its on the pacific side.

All in all the resort is very nice and we enjoyed our stay. Its small and quiet.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you Christine for your kind and detailed review of your recent stay with us. I do wish that I would have had a King bed in your suite category starting from your first night, but there are the few occasions when we happen to be hosting many more couples than friends per se and I am glad that one was assigned for you the following day and from then on your anniversary was very blissful. I am very pleased that our culinary tour and the service were to your great satisfaction. Kudos to Alfonso, who happens to be a very fine example for all of our employees in customer happiness. Thank you for mentioning the agreeable temperature of our pool water. We find it truly important that our guests are comfortable when enjoying our three infinity pools. Christine, thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary visit and also for the fine patience that you exhibited upon your check in. Please feel free to contact me if deciding on where your second anniversary will be celebrated so that I can personally monitor the progress of your reservation and suite assignation. Congratulations and all the best to you and your husband in NYC. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#4 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!