“The good, the bad, and the best!”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
San Mateo, California
“The good, the bad, and the best!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just came back from our vacation at the Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta, and we can't wait to go back!
The good: It is about 15-20 min away from the airport, which is great considering is in a different state than the airport! When we arrived, we were greeted by their wonderful staff and were offered a nice cool drink and a juice for our toddler. We looked around loved how beautiful the lobby is. So far, great.. Then William from the front desk came over, checked us in. We asked if they had any upgrades available, and after a short wait, he said we would have to do it two days later. Ok. No problem. We had a nice size parlor suite, and enjoyed it our first two days...
Now the bad: Two days later we check with William, he had said to go to the front desk at noon. So we did. We got our luggage and things ready and went to talk to him at noon. He wasn't there. we were told to check in 30 min. Again, not available. When I tried to get someone else to help us with our "upgrade," I was told I would have to wait for him because they didn't know what we were promised. After checking again later, we were told he was busy with a group and that we wouldn't be able to move until 3:00pm anyway…. May I just say, no problem, if you had left instructions with someone…If you had told me I would have to wait until 3, etc, It would have been ok. HOWEVER, We waisted half a day waiting around for this guy and in the end we ended up just moving floors. I find this to be very unfortunate, as we were willing to spend a considerable amount of money EXTRA to get a governor suite…. and we waisted half day of our vacation. Not good!
Now the best: The staff (well with one exception). From the moment you enter you are treated like royalty. Everyone always asked if there was anything else we needed, very professional, and genuinely wanting to help. That was very nice...
I have to make sure to thank Vidal, our first concierge. he made sure our anniversary was noted and we were greeted by sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. We were touched. The same thing happened at the restaurants, where all the food was truly gourmet ... and I wish I had better memory to thank all the wait staff by name. Specially, the very nice waiter that brought my daughter a notepad and pen to keep her busy, so we could finish our meal. I could not end my review without thanking Antonio Torres and Rafael Aguirre at the pool. They took care of us everyday we went to the pool. They played with our daughter and made sure we always had a drink in our hand. They checked with us often and made sure we were happy. Our vacation would not have been the same without them.
Overal, the resort is beautiful. So is the food (really), and of course delicious. The service is top notch. We can't wait to go back and get spoiled.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dvacation1
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary vacation and for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us. I would especially wish to thank you for the patience that you demonstrated during the day you were switching suites. As perfect as we wish to be, there was an obstacle that prevented your stay from attaining that perfection. The inefficiency that you experienced is intolerable and in Grand Velas I find there is no room for service such as what you describe. At times there are events that are out of our control that we can overcome, but the lack of attention and follow up to each of our guest´s needs is something that we have in our control and I can assure you that simple oversights such as your situation will not happen again. On behalf of the 520 Grand Velas employees I sincerely apologize to you and your family. It is refreshing to know that many of the rest of the employees such as Vidal, Antonio and Rafael were able to change your perspective around and leave you with a more than satisfied feeling of being well attended to. They will be pleased when they read your translated comments and be even more motivated to go the extra mile when serving our valued guests. I am proud that you feel that you “can´t wait to come back” and it would honor us most if we could celebrate more anniversaries along with your little one for years to come. Thank you again and special greetings to San Mateo, California. Congratulations.

imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Korean first
western US
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This resort is nice. It's clean, and close to the airport.
Buffets miss the mark, but the menus offer a decent selection.
Think Fridays quality. The dress code is absurd & caters to the mind set of those that like cruises. It's an illusion of something "fancy."
Room service was fast, and perfect! Surprisingly good double cappuccino!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank traveltounravel
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings on your stay with us. I am pleased that the positive aspects were to your liking especially the cleanliness of the resort and our room service department. We are analyzing the buffet menu along with its presentation to try to see where you felt that we are missing the mark. We are open to comments and ideas that have the potential to make our service and product that much better and we are ready to make adjustments when they are for the good of all guests. However, I feel that some kind of order has to be established and maintained in question of our dining venues´ dress code. For the sake of providing an apt dining ambience in our gourmet restaurants and also for hygienic purposes, especially in a beach resort, we must adhere to the proper attire of those special venues. Our goal is to provide world class dining during your vacation but in allowing diners to bring non-sleeve t shirts and flip flops per se is not what the great majority of our guests wish to experience. So in all fairness I do feel that I must keep the dress code in place just the way it is for each of our dining venues. I respect your observations and I always welcome the kind feedback that our valuable guests contribute to us. I thank you again with the hope that one day we can exchange ideas over a nice double cappuccino. Take care.

Benton, Arkansas
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband I just spent a week here at Grand Velas Riveria Nayrit.We enjoyed our trip tremendously.The staff here is wonderful especially our concierge Alejandro he will go above and beyond to make your stay as pleasant as possible.(if you need a million dollars he will find it lol)The food here is AWESOME everything is great even room service.We ate at AZUL most of the time ask for the waiter ISRAEL he will take good care or you by the end of your stay.YES DEFINETELY VISIT if you have the chance it is an abosulute paradise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hrp05
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your cheerful and animated observations. I am pleased that you found our staff to be “wonderful” as it is they that can really make the difference to a successful vacation. Alejandro has been with us in our concierge department for some time now and although he has not made anybody rich that I am aware of, he has made a lot of guests very happy. And Israel is one of the master waiters in Azul who has a certain gift in making correct dining suggestions for his guests. Please know that as a team it pleases us greatly that you enjoyed your vacation tremendously and we thank you also for your solid recommendation of Grand Velas to others. Take care and a special salute to everybody in Benton, Arkansas.

Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My friends and I did a 3 night girls trip to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit the first week of June. It was only a 15 minute taxi from the airport. When we arrived, we were greeted by our concierge, Raquel. It was too early to check in, but she made sure we felt welcomed and relaxed with delicious hibiscus iced tea and introduced us to a massage therapist from the spa, who gave us complimentary massages!

After lunch by the pool, we were brought up to our Master Parlor Suite on the 6th floor. The suite was very spacious and had 2 bathrooms and 2 queen beds. Since there were 3 of us, we had to get a roll-away bed. The view from the veranda was absolutely beautiful!

The sunsets are riveting! Make sure you make your dinner reservations after, so that you can take pretty sunset pictures.

All the restaurants had excellent service, exquisite cuisine, and wonderful live music. Our favorite cocktail was the jalepeno margarita at Frida (Mexican). We also had lamb-stuffed mussels in a smokey chipotle sauce and lobster salad (Frida was my favorite). Definitely order the escargot at Piaf (French).

We enjoyed our afternoons by the infinity pool swim up bar and on the beach. However, we were not aware of the adults only pool unfortunately, until the last day. I'm not sure how we missed that...

Overall, the staff was super friendly and very helpful. We had a great time. Raquel, our concierge, was always making sure everything was great. Thank you! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica S
Thank you Jessica for sharing your glowing comments on your stay and especially in your joy of our culinary tour. My executive chef Claudio delights in creating exquisite dishes, all to the enchantment of many of our guests. From the sound of it, your “girls trip” was very relaxing and worry free and thank you for the kind recognition of Raquel. Her dedication and attentiveness has earned her much respect amongst us all. Thank you again Jessica and I hope that your getaways become a regular ritual as it will be our pleasure to pamper you all. Take care and best wishes to the three of you in Nutley, NJ.

Wildwood, Missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A beautiful hotel, great suite, terrific view of ocean from balcony. My wife and I were checked in while seated on a couch and enjoying a drink and head, neck, back massage.Although we arrived at noon our room was ready. The ladies from housekeeping maintain the room absolutely spotless. ALL staff is friendly, attentive and can't do enough for you. The three "formal" (meaning no swimwear, tank tops, etc.) restaurants, French, Italian and Mexican are excellent, and the very causal pool/beach/ocean side restaurant also serves great food and drinks. They will cook to order for you. The pool staff is wonderful. The two men who took care of us for a week, Jose Ramos and Cesar Orozzo were the best. Made us feel like we were the most important people at the resort. Our floor concierge, Oscar Lupercio, helped us with some special needs. Our reservation was an "all inclusive" package and was well worth it. Can't say enough about this hotel and its staff.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room above 4th floor so as not to have part of view blocked by palms. We had room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased that you were greatly satisfied with various aspects of your week long vacation with us. Your suite, culinary tour and personalized service really came together to make it an “absolutely fabulous” stay. Jose, Cesar, Oscar and the ladies from housekeeping are just a few of the dedicated staff that makes it their goal to do their important part in a pleasant and professional manner. I am glad that you thought that the all-inclusive package was well worth it, as it really does provide a stress free and pampered vacation. We as a team would be proud to have you revisit Grand Velas and let us work to create another successful holiday for you. Thank you for your preference and all the best to you in Wildwood, Missouri. Take care.
Bedford TX
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stunning lobby. Lead in category rooms are huge with large balcony with a large day bed. Huge walk in shower with large whirlpool tub. Ceiling fan in rooms, cold air! Ther is a pool bar in the infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. Wide flat beach great for swimming. Only a short 20 minutes from the airport. Taxi into town is approx $19 one way. Great restaurant by the pool and beach, with views of the beach. This restaurant is not air conditioned. Breakfast has a wide selection and all very fresh. Service is outstanding. Food in the restaurants were fabulous. The service and food presentation was outstanding. The French restaurant was my favorite. The restaurants are air conditioned. The spa is very well done. The massage is very well presented and performed. There is a large gym with everything you will need. They do offer activities for children, and adults too. The grounds are very beautifully manicured. The pool and beach towels are huge, and a clean, folded towel is replaced on your chair while you are swimming. Fantastic service The outside halls are wide with views of the water or mountains. The Lobby bar is air conditioned and has entertainment at night. There is plenty of seating between the lobby and the pool area. There is always a nice breeze from the ocean blowing through the lobby. Room service is 24/7 and fast..Sunsets are beautiful. You get what you pay for at this resort, quiet elegance. I will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Racing2dayBedfordTX
Thank you very much for your informative observations. I am very pleased that you were greatly satisfied with the various aspects of Grand Velas. You made reference a few times to the size of some of our areas and suites and it is true. The resort is nicely spread out allowing an open feeling and our large and finely equipped suites could easily be classified as governor or presidential categories in other hotels. I am glad that you felt that you received good value and that you will return to enjoy some more of the “quiet elegance” that you found on this trip. I thank you again for your kind synopsis and wish you the best of summers in Bedford, Texas. Take care.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This resort is absolutely perfect in every way ... there is a reason why it continues to be a AAA 5 Diamond resort! Without question, we will be going back again and again. Our exceptionally perfect experience began months before we even arrived as we were making various arrangements with Karina Corona (Chief Concierge) ... she was absolutely wonderful to work with! She has a great attention for detail and a true passion for her work with the guests of the resort.

Once we arrived in Puerto Vallarta, we got through customs and over to a gentleman that was waiting to bring us back to the resort in our own private Suburban. Karina organized that for us which was great considering our twin 2 1/2 year old girls required car seats. The driver was very kind and professional and greeted us with mimosas for our quick journey to the resort.

When we arrived at the resort, our car doors were opened by warm and welcoming staff awaiting our arrival in front of the completely open air lobby which was beautiful. The check in process was very relaxed as they seated us at nice comfortable couches where we were greeted with cold drinks and even head massages courtesy of the spa. The staff took care of the entire check in process while we comfortably waited ... never had to stand at the front desk nor wait in any lines. At the conclusion of the check-in process, we were given very nice woven bracelets that signified the all-inclusive amenities they had and also doubled as a nice souvenir from our trip. They also upgraded us to free of charge as it was a room that would be more fitting for our twins - separate living and bedroom areas. Talk about service!!!

Once we were all checked in, the very professional bellman brought us to our suite providing us with useful information about the restaurants and other of the various resorts amenities. As we approached our ocean front suite, the bellman opened the door for us and had us enter the suite and allowed us to check things out while he brought in our luggage. He proceeded to provide us valuable information on how all of the systems in the suite worked, what the hours were of all facilities and restaurants on the property along with other activities going on during the week of our stay. Even though gratuities are included in the all inclusive experience, we gave the bellman a very generous tip as it was well deserved.

Throughout our stay, we enjoyed relaxing times at the pool each and everyday. Our twins absolutely love swimming so needless to say, they were in heaven. The staff at the pool was wonderful and very attentive to our every need. They also provided an excellent experience for our twins by bringing them fun tropical drinks and toys.

The food on the property, whether it was poolside, at the restaurant (we only visited Azul as we only had shorts and casual wear with us), or via room service ... was exceptional!

We loved the beach as the water was warm and not too rough ... all four of us enjoyed playing in the water and on the sand. Also a nice touch from mother nature were the hundreds of lady bugs that were on the beach ... it was adorable to watch our girls observe them and hold them on their hands and arms.

It was an absolutely breathtaking experience from start to finish. We couldn't have been happier with everything. We will definitely return to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit without hesitation ... heck, we are even thinking about making this a yearly vacation for us!!!

Thank you to all of the staff at the Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit ... you all are and always will be 5 Diamond!!! We will always highly recommend this resort to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!