“Excellente!!! Fantastic holiday - a gem of a resort with exceptional service”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had a little hiccup checking in that was very quickly resolved by Executive Chef Claudio Hotter who then preceded to go out of his way to ensure we had a truly fantastic holiday!
The hotel totally exceeded our expectations, the food is Michelin Star quality with a vast array in all restaurants, room service and even the snack bar! If you want something slightly different the staff go out of their way to accommodate you.
We were here to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and my 40th birthday and I really couldn't imagine a more special way to celebrate both!
We travelled from Gold Coast, QLD and will definitely be travelling back!
Many thanks to Chef Claudio and his team for our special taster menu evenings and the amazing gifts that were delivered to our room...
See you all soon!

Room Tip: All rooms have Ocean views - fantastic resort
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura R
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Laura thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your special 20th wedding anniversary and for your 40th birthday. To contemplate travelling such distances, one has to be very sure of the destination and of the experience and I am very glad that executive chef Claudio and all the team were able to make this such a memorable occasion. It is noticeable that the culinary aspect of your vacation is very important to you and with the various dialogues with Claudio he was able to satisfy your high expectations. Our high end product and personable attention may have won the day for you, but the good spirits of your lovely family made it all come together. Chef Claudio and all the staff look forward to hosting you again when the opportunity presents itself. Thank you again Laura and best wishes to all in Surfers Paradise, Queensland. Take care.
imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,717)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We started out as a big group of 40 people with children, and the service was amazingly magnificent. The food was spectacular and all the employees were doing their jobs perfectly.

Big shout out to Sergio Rubio from the Lucas Restaurant! He was a great waiter and everyone loved him for his fantastic service on several evenings we visited there.

Also big shout out to Alejandro, the greatest concierge that greeted us when we entered! He privately organized a long table for all of us 40 people beach front with a spectacular view.

Big thanks,
Maggie

Room Tip: Every single room is stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank maggiejalil
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Believe what other reviewers say about this resort. Great service, really good food but sadly not a good place to be when there is a convention.
Service - the best I've seen. From frontdesk, housekeeping, pool attendants, hosts, bar service, wait staff, room service.
Food -
Azul - Buffet breakfast was really good one of the best I've had. I love it that they serve and array of fresh juice to choose from. Buffet lunch was really good too. I love their sushi and to be able to order sashimi too was a good add on. Their desserts were average though. Dinner was very disappointing though. We were told there was a mexican fiesta at Azul so we passed on the fine dining to try Azul. Only to be told that there isn't any and that it was set for tomorrow. The fiesta was a welcome celebration only for the newly arrived convention people. We looked at their ala carte menu (no buffet) but the food selection was mediocre. Room service had a better selection.
Selva del Mar - this is their snack bar. I ordered only once from the pool. It was a ceviche that didn't even taste like ceviche. They have better ceviche at the Azul. The menu had burgers, hotdogs, nachos, etc. I guess it was ok. It was unappetizing for me. Their menu could be better.
Frida, Lucca and Piaf - what can I say... the food was really good. Enjoyed their selections, ate there nightly except for that one night at Azul.
Room Service - incredible too. Had room service a few times and never had to wait for more than 20min. Wide selection and the food was good too.
Spa - It was on the expensive side but I had a good experience too. Went there an hour before my appointment to enjoy their sauna/steam room, jaccuzi, hot and cold dipping pool and foot bath.
Time share presentation - I attended to get an extra discount for my spa. It was a very pleasant experience. No pushy selling. Just an informative 90min session to try and sell you their resort time shares.
Activities - They could use better activities at night.
Bedroom - We had the parlor suite where the bedroom was separated from the living room. The whole suite was in good condition although there are some signs of age in the bathroom where some of the tile already have cracks on them. There is a refrigirator that gets stocked daily. Coffee and tea. The bed was my least favorite. I found the mattress to be harder than most. They also need to have more sockets to plug the electronic devices. Not only there were a few of them but also they were used by their appliances that I had to unplug a lamp to use one. There is a free one on the far corner of the room, but I like to plug in for charging near the bedroom or someplace where I can easily see them.
Over all I loved this resort. It's good that they have wifi for free now. Connection was ok, a little drop off when the convention people came in. If you want faster connection you need to pay for it. But for facebook and email, you should be ok with the free wifi.
There are 2 drawbacks that I experienced. Yes, when there is a convention, it does get noisy. There was one night that there were people at the pool swimming, drinking and yelling at almost midnight. The pool was supposed to be closed at 8pm. We called the front desk to let them know about the noise. Maybe they should leave the pool and pool bar open later so it can be monitored. An quiet time followed. But contrary to what other say, I didn't feel the drop of service in the pool bar or in any of their restaurants. The other drawback is there is no shuttle to take people to Puerto Vallarta. It would have been nice if they have a shuttle service to take people to Puerto Vallarta in the morning and then pick them up again in the afternoon. Free or otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melmaya27
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just came back from our vacation at the Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta, and we can't wait to go back!
The good: It is about 15-20 min away from the airport, which is great considering is in a different state than the airport! When we arrived, we were greeted by their wonderful staff and were offered a nice cool drink and a juice for our toddler. We looked around loved how beautiful the lobby is. So far, great.. Then William from the front desk came over, checked us in. We asked if they had any upgrades available, and after a short wait, he said we would have to do it two days later. Ok. No problem. We had a nice size parlor suite, and enjoyed it our first two days...
Now the bad: Two days later we check with William, he had said to go to the front desk at noon. So we did. We got our luggage and things ready and went to talk to him at noon. He wasn't there. we were told to check in 30 min. Again, not available. When I tried to get someone else to help us with our "upgrade," I was told I would have to wait for him because they didn't know what we were promised. After checking again later, we were told he was busy with a group and that we wouldn't be able to move until 3:00pm anyway…. May I just say, no problem, if you had left instructions with someone…If you had told me I would have to wait until 3, etc, It would have been ok. HOWEVER, We waisted half a day waiting around for this guy and in the end we ended up just moving floors. I find this to be very unfortunate, as we were willing to spend a considerable amount of money EXTRA to get a governor suite…. and we waisted half day of our vacation. Not good!
Now the best: The staff (well with one exception). From the moment you enter you are treated like royalty. Everyone always asked if there was anything else we needed, very professional, and genuinely wanting to help. That was very nice...
I have to make sure to thank Vidal, our first concierge. he made sure our anniversary was noted and we were greeted by sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. We were touched. The same thing happened at the restaurants, where all the food was truly gourmet ... and I wish I had better memory to thank all the wait staff by name. Specially, the very nice waiter that brought my daughter a notepad and pen to keep her busy, so we could finish our meal. I could not end my review without thanking Antonio Torres and Rafael Aguirre at the pool. They took care of us everyday we went to the pool. They played with our daughter and made sure we always had a drink in our hand. They checked with us often and made sure we were happy. Our vacation would not have been the same without them.
Overal, the resort is beautiful. So is the food (really), and of course delicious. The service is top notch. We can't wait to go back and get spoiled.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dvacation1

Thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary vacation and for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us. I would especially wish to thank you for the patience that you demonstrated during the day you were switching suites. As perfect as we wish to be, there was an obstacle that prevented your stay from attaining that perfection. The inefficiency that you experienced is intolerable and in Grand Velas I find there is no room for service such as what you describe. At times there are events that are out of our control that we can overcome, but the lack of attention and follow up to each of our guest´s needs is something that we have in our control and I can assure you that simple oversights such as your situation will not happen again. On behalf of the 520 Grand Velas employees I sincerely apologize to you and your family. It is refreshing to know that many of the rest of the employees such as Vidal, Antonio and Rafael were able to change your perspective around and leave you with a more than satisfied feeling of being well attended to. They will be pleased when they read your translated comments and be even more motivated to go the extra mile when serving our valued guests. I am proud that you feel that you “can´t wait to come back” and it would honor us most if we could celebrate more anniversaries along with your little one for years to come. Thank you again and special greetings to San Mateo, California. Congratulations.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This resort is nice. It's clean, and close to the airport.
Buffets miss the mark, but the menus offer a decent selection.
Think Fridays quality. The dress code is absurd & caters to the mind set of those that like cruises. It's an illusion of something "fancy."
Room service was fast, and perfect! Surprisingly good double cappuccino!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank traveltounravel
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings on your stay with us. I am pleased that the positive aspects were to your liking especially the cleanliness of the resort and our room service department. We are analyzing the buffet menu along with its presentation to try to see where you felt that we are missing the mark. We are open to comments and ideas that have the potential to make our service and product that much better and we are ready to make adjustments when they are for the good of all guests. However, I feel that some kind of order has to be established and maintained in question of our dining venues´ dress code. For the sake of providing an apt dining ambience in our gourmet restaurants and also for hygienic purposes, especially in a beach resort, we must adhere to the proper attire of those special venues. Our goal is to provide world class dining during your vacation but in allowing diners to bring non-sleeve t shirts and flip flops per se is not what the great majority of our guests wish to experience. So in all fairness I do feel that I must keep the dress code in place just the way it is for each of our dining venues. I respect your observations and I always welcome the kind feedback that our valuable guests contribute to us. I thank you again with the hope that one day we can exchange ideas over a nice double cappuccino. Take care.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband I just spent a week here at Grand Velas Riveria Nayrit.We enjoyed our trip tremendously.The staff here is wonderful especially our concierge Alejandro he will go above and beyond to make your stay as pleasant as possible.(if you need a million dollars he will find it lol)The food here is AWESOME everything is great even room service.We ate at AZUL most of the time ask for the waiter ISRAEL he will take good care or you by the end of your stay.YES DEFINETELY VISIT if you have the chance it is an abosulute paradise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hrp05
DirectorGVRN, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your cheerful and animated observations. I am pleased that you found our staff to be “wonderful” as it is they that can really make the difference to a successful vacation. Alejandro has been with us in our concierge department for some time now and although he has not made anybody rich that I am aware of, he has made a lot of guests very happy. And Israel is one of the master waiters in Azul who has a certain gift in making correct dining suggestions for his guests. Please know that as a team it pleases us greatly that you enjoyed your vacation tremendously and we thank you also for your solid recommendation of Grand Velas to others. Take care and a special salute to everybody in Benton, Arkansas.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My friends and I did a 3 night girls trip to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit the first week of June. It was only a 15 minute taxi from the airport. When we arrived, we were greeted by our concierge, Raquel. It was too early to check in, but she made sure we felt welcomed and relaxed with delicious hibiscus iced tea and introduced us to a massage therapist from the spa, who gave us complimentary massages!

After lunch by the pool, we were brought up to our Master Parlor Suite on the 6th floor. The suite was very spacious and had 2 bathrooms and 2 queen beds. Since there were 3 of us, we had to get a roll-away bed. The view from the veranda was absolutely beautiful!

The sunsets are riveting! Make sure you make your dinner reservations after, so that you can take pretty sunset pictures.

All the restaurants had excellent service, exquisite cuisine, and wonderful live music. Our favorite cocktail was the jalepeno margarita at Frida (Mexican). We also had lamb-stuffed mussels in a smokey chipotle sauce and lobster salad (Frida was my favorite). Definitely order the escargot at Piaf (French).

We enjoyed our afternoons by the infinity pool swim up bar and on the beach. However, we were not aware of the adults only pool unfortunately, until the last day. I'm not sure how we missed that...

Overall, the staff was super friendly and very helpful. We had a great time. Raquel, our concierge, was always making sure everything was great. Thank you! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessica S

Thank you Jessica for sharing your glowing comments on your stay and especially in your joy of our culinary tour. My executive chef Claudio delights in creating exquisite dishes, all to the enchantment of many of our guests. From the sound of it, your “girls trip” was very relaxing and worry free and thank you for the kind recognition of Raquel. Her dedication and attentiveness has earned her much respect amongst us all. Thank you again Jessica and I hope that your getaways become a regular ritual as it will be our pleasure to pamper you all. Take care and best wishes to the three of you in Nutley, NJ.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#3 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!