“5th Time To Grand Velas in 3 years. Best of the Best!!!!”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Where do I begin??? I have never been to any "all inclusive" resort that even comes close to Grand Velas in terms of service, quality of food, price, family friendly, atmosphere, etc. The place is simply amazing. We brought our extended family down this trip and they were stunned by the awesomeness of this luxury resort. Our pool side service was exceptional. Unlimited supply of drinks and great food. Rafeal Casillas and Rafael Oliveras were amazing. Checking in on us every 15 minutes for more drinks or food. David Velasco the pool side manager does a great job ensuring our experience was excellent. Each floor has a dedicated butler/concierge in addition to the two in the lobby. Vidal was amazing making sure we had strollers, correct dinner reservations, bottles, etc. Whatever we needed he seemed to be around the corner waiting to make it happen. All three restaurants are spectacular and rightly deserve their 4 diamond ratings. Service was excellent and the food was ridiculously good. Some of the best dishes I've ever had and I live in San Francisco area. Order as much as you want. They converted the ball room and had a 40 by 40 foot projection screen with lounge chairs, couches, drinks, and food for all the World Cup soccer matches. That was a treat. The monkey room/Kids Club is exceptional and the ladies are so kind and generous to the kids. The rooms are all suites and are much larger than most hotel accommodations which is nice. Excellent beach location with nice waves for kids to body surf or boogie board which the hotel provides at no charge. The spa is the nicest I have ever seen or experienced. It is a must be experienced at least once. If you have time check out Sayulita a surfing town about 25 miles north. This is the most amazing little surf town tucked away in a tropical jungle with great shops and scenery. You will not regret spending your vacation here. It made us forget about Hawaii.

Room Tip: Choose Rooms 6th-8th floor with center location for best views. Parlor suite if you have kids. Mon...
2  Thank GCGC85
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My friend and I came here based on trip advisor reviews, we wanted to go all out and get a 5 star resort and not have to open up our wallets while there. When we arrived we were greeted with a massage and a delicious cool drink. Every guest is given a dedicated employee which helps us out throughout our stay. I requested an ocean view suite and when we were brought to our rooms was given a shaded room that didn't look like saw daylight. I told the employee what i reserved and he called the front desk, after 5 minutes he says he has a room that was a partial ocean view and we proceed to go there on the 3rd floor--he tells me if I am not happy with the room we'll get a different room tomorrow but at the moment nothing is available. If I ended up staying in that room I'd have been a little upset since i paid a premium to get the ocean view. The next afternoon they move us to the 6th floor and its better, not exactly what i paid for but will do because i don't want to constantly move around.
The rooms look a little outdated, the bathroom can stand for cleaner maintenance such as making sure the tubs are draining and cups are clean. The beds are quite comfortable although i did see a few small bugs crawling around which was a bit unsettling but instead of freaking my friend out I just squashed them.The mini fridge and snack station is filled daily. The staff was very very nice. I will tell you even though its not required to tip the staff, wait around like you're obligated to. I ended up tipping almost every place which i repeat wasn't required.
The pool is the highlight of the resort and that's where I spent my entire time; just like any other place you have to be there early to get the best spots. Even if a group left, their towels remained so you didn't know which ones were available which was a bit irritating.
The 18 and older hot tub area was great especially at night, where you get a view of the ocean and have 3 separate tubs so in a sense it feels like you have your own oasis. The food was quite delicious especially the restaurants. The presentation was done well and choices quite plentiful. Even the buffet was great, no matter the day or time i went the choices were endless and tasty. I kept going back for thirds which I am sure was quite shocking to the employees there.The gym was big but there was no ventilation or a/c so working a sweat was torture in itself. The spa experience was lovely and worth every penny.
If you're looking for a place to avoid rowdy kids I'd stay here, the guests were in the late 30s and 40s with small kids which suited me just fine.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view call them first to validate you'll get it otherwise you might pay more...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank place-name-here
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This place is beautiful! and the service is #1!! I asked for the names of the two gentlemen who were serving my family so I can give them props!
Gilberto Ibarra Zepeda & Alejandro Arce were fantastic!! They catered to ALL our needs and made us feel like VIP"S. I look forward to returning soon.
This place is the best resort I have stayed at in Mexico.
LOVED IT!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing!
1  Thank StationV
DirectorGVRN, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for making the effort in recognizing two of our stars that played an integral role in the success and happiness of your vacation. Gilberto and Alejandro do their job in such a natural fashion that makes it appear like they are amongst friends and family with their focused and friendly mannerisms. They are part of the reason that you consider Grand Velas to be “the best resort that you have stayed at in Mexico”. I hope that you find the chance to return so that Gilberto and Alejandro can get reacquainted with your family again and provide the personalized service that you have come to know. Thank you again and all the best to you and your family in Los Angeles, Ca. take care.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had a little hiccup checking in that was very quickly resolved by Executive Chef Claudio Hotter who then preceded to go out of his way to ensure we had a truly fantastic holiday!
The hotel totally exceeded our expectations, the food is Michelin Star quality with a vast array in all restaurants, room service and even the snack bar! If you want something slightly different the staff go out of their way to accommodate you.
We were here to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and my 40th birthday and I really couldn't imagine a more special way to celebrate both!
We travelled from Gold Coast, QLD and will definitely be travelling back!
Many thanks to Chef Claudio and his team for our special taster menu evenings and the amazing gifts that were delivered to our room...
See you all soon!

Room Tip: All rooms have Ocean views - fantastic resort
2  Thank Laura R

Laura thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your special 20th wedding anniversary and for your 40th birthday. To contemplate travelling such distances, one has to be very sure of the destination and of the experience and I am very glad that executive chef Claudio and all the team were able to make this such a memorable occasion. It is noticeable that the culinary aspect of your vacation is very important to you and with the various dialogues with Claudio he was able to satisfy your high expectations. Our high end product and personable attention may have won the day for you, but the good spirits of your lovely family made it all come together. Chef Claudio and all the staff look forward to hosting you again when the opportunity presents itself. Thank you again Laura and best wishes to all in Surfers Paradise, Queensland. Take care.
HOTEL GRAND VELAS RIVIERA NAYARIT
imendozarn@velasresorts.com

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We started out as a big group of 40 people with children, and the service was amazingly magnificent. The food was spectacular and all the employees were doing their jobs perfectly.

Big shout out to Sergio Rubio from the Lucas Restaurant! He was a great waiter and everyone loved him for his fantastic service on several evenings we visited there.

Also big shout out to Alejandro, the greatest concierge that greeted us when we entered! He privately organized a long table for all of us 40 people beach front with a spectacular view.

Big thanks,
Maggie

Room Tip: Every single room is stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank maggiejalil
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Believe what other reviewers say about this resort. Great service, really good food but sadly not a good place to be when there is a convention.
Service - the best I've seen. From frontdesk, housekeeping, pool attendants, hosts, bar service, wait staff, room service.
Food -
Azul - Buffet breakfast was really good one of the best I've had. I love it that they serve and array of fresh juice to choose from. Buffet lunch was really good too. I love their sushi and to be able to order sashimi too was a good add on. Their desserts were average though. Dinner was very disappointing though. We were told there was a mexican fiesta at Azul so we passed on the fine dining to try Azul. Only to be told that there isn't any and that it was set for tomorrow. The fiesta was a welcome celebration only for the newly arrived convention people. We looked at their ala carte menu (no buffet) but the food selection was mediocre. Room service had a better selection.
Selva del Mar - this is their snack bar. I ordered only once from the pool. It was a ceviche that didn't even taste like ceviche. They have better ceviche at the Azul. The menu had burgers, hotdogs, nachos, etc. I guess it was ok. It was unappetizing for me. Their menu could be better.
Frida, Lucca and Piaf - what can I say... the food was really good. Enjoyed their selections, ate there nightly except for that one night at Azul.
Room Service - incredible too. Had room service a few times and never had to wait for more than 20min. Wide selection and the food was good too.
Spa - It was on the expensive side but I had a good experience too. Went there an hour before my appointment to enjoy their sauna/steam room, jaccuzi, hot and cold dipping pool and foot bath.
Time share presentation - I attended to get an extra discount for my spa. It was a very pleasant experience. No pushy selling. Just an informative 90min session to try and sell you their resort time shares.
Activities - They could use better activities at night.
Bedroom - We had the parlor suite where the bedroom was separated from the living room. The whole suite was in good condition although there are some signs of age in the bathroom where some of the tile already have cracks on them. There is a refrigirator that gets stocked daily. Coffee and tea. The bed was my least favorite. I found the mattress to be harder than most. They also need to have more sockets to plug the electronic devices. Not only there were a few of them but also they were used by their appliances that I had to unplug a lamp to use one. There is a free one on the far corner of the room, but I like to plug in for charging near the bedroom or someplace where I can easily see them.
Over all I loved this resort. It's good that they have wifi for free now. Connection was ok, a little drop off when the convention people came in. If you want faster connection you need to pay for it. But for facebook and email, you should be ok with the free wifi.
There are 2 drawbacks that I experienced. Yes, when there is a convention, it does get noisy. There was one night that there were people at the pool swimming, drinking and yelling at almost midnight. The pool was supposed to be closed at 8pm. We called the front desk to let them know about the noise. Maybe they should leave the pool and pool bar open later so it can be monitored. An quiet time followed. But contrary to what other say, I didn't feel the drop of service in the pool bar or in any of their restaurants. The other drawback is there is no shuttle to take people to Puerto Vallarta. It would have been nice if they have a shuttle service to take people to Puerto Vallarta in the morning and then pick them up again in the afternoon. Free or otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melmaya27
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just came back from our vacation at the Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta, and we can't wait to go back!
The good: It is about 15-20 min away from the airport, which is great considering is in a different state than the airport! When we arrived, we were greeted by their wonderful staff and were offered a nice cool drink and a juice for our toddler. We looked around loved how beautiful the lobby is. So far, great.. Then William from the front desk came over, checked us in. We asked if they had any upgrades available, and after a short wait, he said we would have to do it two days later. Ok. No problem. We had a nice size parlor suite, and enjoyed it our first two days...
Now the bad: Two days later we check with William, he had said to go to the front desk at noon. So we did. We got our luggage and things ready and went to talk to him at noon. He wasn't there. we were told to check in 30 min. Again, not available. When I tried to get someone else to help us with our "upgrade," I was told I would have to wait for him because they didn't know what we were promised. After checking again later, we were told he was busy with a group and that we wouldn't be able to move until 3:00pm anyway…. May I just say, no problem, if you had left instructions with someone…If you had told me I would have to wait until 3, etc, It would have been ok. HOWEVER, We waisted half a day waiting around for this guy and in the end we ended up just moving floors. I find this to be very unfortunate, as we were willing to spend a considerable amount of money EXTRA to get a governor suite…. and we waisted half day of our vacation. Not good!
Now the best: The staff (well with one exception). From the moment you enter you are treated like royalty. Everyone always asked if there was anything else we needed, very professional, and genuinely wanting to help. That was very nice...
I have to make sure to thank Vidal, our first concierge. he made sure our anniversary was noted and we were greeted by sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. We were touched. The same thing happened at the restaurants, where all the food was truly gourmet ... and I wish I had better memory to thank all the wait staff by name. Specially, the very nice waiter that brought my daughter a notepad and pen to keep her busy, so we could finish our meal. I could not end my review without thanking Antonio Torres and Rafael Aguirre at the pool. They took care of us everyday we went to the pool. They played with our daughter and made sure we always had a drink in our hand. They checked with us often and made sure we were happy. Our vacation would not have been the same without them.
Overal, the resort is beautiful. So is the food (really), and of course delicious. The service is top notch. We can't wait to go back and get spoiled.

2  Thank Dvacation1

Thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary vacation and for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us. I would especially wish to thank you for the patience that you demonstrated during the day you were switching suites. As perfect as we wish to be, there was an obstacle that prevented your stay from attaining that perfection. The inefficiency that you experienced is intolerable and in Grand Velas I find there is no room for service such as what you describe. At times there are events that are out of our control that we can overcome, but the lack of attention and follow up to each of our guest´s needs is something that we have in our control and I can assure you that simple oversights such as your situation will not happen again. On behalf of the 520 Grand Velas employees I sincerely apologize to you and your family. It is refreshing to know that many of the rest of the employees such as Vidal, Antonio and Rafael were able to change your perspective around and leave you with a more than satisfied feeling of being well attended to. They will be pleased when they read your translated comments and be even more motivated to go the extra mile when serving our valued guests. I am proud that you feel that you “can´t wait to come back” and it would honor us most if we could celebrate more anniversaries along with your little one for years to come. Thank you again and special greetings to San Mateo, California. Congratulations.

HOTEL GRAND VELAS RIVIERA NAYARIT

Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!