Full disclosure... I am a Timeshare member at the Belair Vallarta, formerly known as Playa Del Sol Grand. The last 3 times I had visited PDSG, I was so stressed out that I actually couldn't wait to go home. Members were treated like second class citizens because the emphasis was on getting NEW members, not taking care of the people who already owned timeshares there & paid their yearly maintenance fees. Members should certainly receive AT LEAST the same considerations and service as the folks who reserve rooms off the internet. The place was becoming run down.
I had heard that the new Belair Management were making some incredible changes so my family skeptically made plans for a week visit in early May. To our PLEASANT surprise, we were treated like VIP's from the moment we stepped out of the taxi. Edgar, one of the Bellmen, was awesome.... very friendly, always addressed us by name the entire week, and was always helpful with restaurant suggestions, etc. We were greeted with drinks and check in (for the first time ever here) went smoothly. We got the location we asked for and had an amazing 2 bedroom suite, poolside, with a beautiful view of the ocean. There was a huge fruit basket in our room ( I'm sure this is dependent on the type of reservation you have ) and there was a welcome letter offering us discounts for the spa and meals. The condo was similarly decorated as before, although the bedrooms have been updated with colorful paint and the beds are no longer hard as rocks.... New mattresses and your choice of pillow types. The kitchens had new stainless steel appliances - still had the old cabinets and tile countertops but I'm sure the suite we were in will be upgraded to the granite countertops as some other suites already are. The bathrooms are still beautiful with all the tile work. The 2 bedroom suite is actually a 1 bdrm with a studio "lock-off", so there are 2 kitchens and 2 3/4 bathrooms. I see that some people complained of low water pressure but our showers were perfect.
The infinity pool by the beach is the centerpiece of the property. There is a pool bar with a Happy Hour every day between 5-6pm. There is no skimping on the alcohol & Vincente the bartender will take good care of you. The poolside chairs are all updated and include some poolside beds and pods for napping and reading. May is very slow, so we never had problems getting chairs. Rafael is "the man" when it comes to taking care of you as you lay and sun yourself. Anything you need, he is there for you... he really runs his tail off - GOOD man!
Food-wise, there is Kelly's Shipwreck at the pool that serves an excellent burger, club sandwich, wings, etc.... until about 6pm. The Palm Terrace offers 2 menus - one is continental & the other is a Mex-Italian fusion. The food is on the fancier side and was good. The Azteca Cake was an amazing Mexican-type lasagna, using tortillas rather than pasta. The breakfast buffet there was great with omlettes made-to-order. The "hidden gem" at the resort is the Martini-Sushi bar at the other side of the property. I had some picky sushi people with me and they raved about the sushi served here. I am not a sushi eater, but they offered a tempura shrimp "to die for" and an excellent fried rice dish. The martini's were very good as well. The resort NEEDS TO PUT A SIGN BY THE POOL advertising this place. Most people we talked to at the pool didn't even know it was there.
The spa at the Belair is amazing. It is so serene and calming and all of us had excellent massages. There is a small gym there as well.
A nice new addition is the Kids Club. We had a 3 year old with us and he enjoyed the new kiddie pool with slide, the ball pit and the new playground equipment... the bathroom is even sized down to the little ones. The older kids have access to video equipment, bikes, etc.
Off the property, we get our groceries at the Mega Store that is about a 5 min taxi ride. There is a very small mini mart at the Belair but it is really expensive. One of the bellmen will graciously take your groceries from the Mega up to your room and even put them away. The prices there are great on booze and food. If you are a Bank of America customer, they have a Santander ATM so you can get your pesos WITHOUT all the added international fees.
Bucerias is a little town north of Nuevo Vallarta that has some excellent restaurants and a great flea market. Fat Boys has tables right on the beach to enjoy a beer, chips and guacamole in the afternoon and listen to some music. Our favorite dinner place in Bucerias is Claudio’s Meson Bay. Sand floors, sunset views and AMAZING shrimp dishes... oh, and the margaritas are huge… full of tequila!
We took a side trip one day to Sayulita - about a 30-40 min taxi ride to the north. Cute little surfing village, shops and many places to eat right on the beach.
I now can highly recommend the Belair Vallarta. If you are looking for wild & crazy.... this is not the place for you. It is a ways out of Puerto Vallarta but easily accessible by bus or taxi to go party. There is the Riu Palace right next door if you like a place with a cruise ship-feel (dress codes and all) but it was pretty dead. The Villa Del Palmar is on the other side. Its a bigger resort as well, much quieter than the Riu, and has an amazing Breakfast Buffet & restaurant.
Be aware that many people have their weddings at the Belair on the weekends, so the music can go late into the night….. this would be my only complaint - I think management should cut the weddings off at midnight. I filed a complaint about it and was told that changes are currently being made to the wedding contracts, and guest concerns about the noise are being discussed by Board Members.
Our family is already planning our next trip to Belair Vallarta. The staff is so friendly and the resort is such an improvement over the old Playa Del Sol.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Bel Air Vallarta the perfect hotel for a family vacation" Family vacations are made to be on the Riviera Nayarit. Enjoy the beauty of the traditional Puerto Vallarta, the beautiful and colorful Bucerias, or maybe the exclusive Nuevo Vallarta where you will find everything you were looking for and more. Can you imagine spending a day at the spa pampering yourself at one of the best hotels in Nuevo Vallarta? Imagine your kids having a blast at our Kids Club, everything is possible here. A destination like this provides much as you can imagine, activities on land, sea and even air is what awaits you. Stay with with your family and enjoy the best time of your lives together and create your own #BelAirMoment. Bel Air Vallarta offers 215 spacious and luxurious rooms where you can enjoy a deserved rest after those long days at the beach, pool or enjoying the gastronomic offer that we have for you along with all the entertainment options that this resort has. In addition to luxury hotel rooms in Nuevo Vallarta Bel Air Vallarta offers luxury amenities that will make your stay a unique and memorable vacation, the "Bel Air Delights" those great little details that will give your holiday a touch of sophistication and also will make you feel at home. Welcome Cool Amenitie Welcome cocktail Early Bird Breakfast View all Bel Air Delights In Bel Air we know that your holiday should be something memorable that's why we have created a series of experiences that will fulfill all your dreams and needs to make your vacation something you cannot forget. Personalized vacation experiences with a touch of luxury and sophistication, the "Bel Air Experiences". All Gourmet Experience All Romance Experience All Spa Experience ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Air Collection Resort And Spa Vallarta
- Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Playa Del Sol Grand Hotel
- Playa Del Sol Grand Puerto Vallarta
- Playa Del Sol Grand Resort