“Great Value, cant beat it!”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Returned about a week ago and still raving to family and friends about my great experience while in PVR at Bel Air Resort. One of the best mexican vacation trips, while traveling with group of friends and our kids, the all inclusive package is the way to go at this great value resort that has all the amenities of larger resorts but more on an initmate personal level.
The greatest part of our stay was Ms Jessica at the Kids Club. Truly unique experience that my daughter had during our stay, something she looked forward to everyday. From crafts, projects, to building sand castles, Ms Jessica really knows how to make a connection with the children and this made me feel secure leaving her in Ms Jessica's care as she is always warm, friendly and always kept kids stimulated with different activities she had planned, even ordering the kids smoothies to cool off. She truly was the bigest part of the kids time there, a clear asset to the resort and our vacation would not have been so memorable for the kids and adults with out her presence.
The value of the all inclusive room is something you just can't beat. Food and beverages included, just not room service. For the price, the food is good, and for the 10 days I was there, I probably tried everything on the menu. Somethings are hit or miss, but you can always try something else. One recommendation to hotel would be to include a better kids menu.
The pool area is great, has nice shallow area for my 5 year old, and I could lay by the pool while the kids played. Phenomenal pool service by Luis! Very attentive, always had our drinks filled (Absolute 7!!!) , anticipated our needs, noted our preferences, something that seems to come instinctively to him, always welcoming smile. It's great having someone take care of your needs, afterall this is a vacation; Luis is a great key to the success of the pool area.
What makes this place unique is the realtionships you build while you are there. The staff really gets to know you, something that would lack if you were staying at larger hotel. The activities during the day at the pool area keep you entertained. Danny, who assisted with entertaining guests with activities planned everyday, was a great thing for adults. Water volleyball and bingo (with real prizes!) were among my favorites.
Being at the resort on a Friday night is a must! The have fiesta nite that will and they put on great games and a show (pinata for the kids too! awesome). This is all included!
Rooms are always maintained clean. Thanks to Ms Hilda! Room was neat and if we ever ran into her, she was always friendly, very happy person who takes pride in her work.
Once again, for the price, you really can't beat the great service and amenities this property has to offer. Just recommended this place again, to my neighbor. I can't wait to go pack to PVR, and will definitely be staying in Nuevo Vallarta at Bel Air

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near service elevators or stair wells
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We found what we thought a good deal for a week's vacation in Nuevo Vallarta. We booked an all inclusive 'Hotel Room'. Turned out that was a mistake; what we got was a 12 ft. wide X 12 ft. long space (of which 2 ft. was taken over by a multipurpose piece of furniture), with a window, no balcony and no view at all. The bathroom was reasonable size and had a Jacuzzi tub (a plus), very basic toiletries and cheapest quality towels. The toilet bowl developed a leak, which thankfully was fixed promptly. Back in the room, there was a stocked mini fridge of no value to us since we don't crave for beer early or late in the day. We had some problems with the in-room safe and it was eventually replaced. No problems with cleanliness. A comfortable king sized bed and big screen TV were on the plus side.
Repeated requests for better accommodation fell on deaf ears; their suggestion was to upgrade to a junior suite at a cost of USD 40/day. We kept telling them that we were not after a junior suite, just a better room. We felt that they tried to pry more money out of a bad situation.
The property has one good main restaurant and a small sushi restaurant (don't bother, it's all the same roll with a dash of different something on top...) that doubles as a martini bar.
The main restaurant is only a la carte with a buffet once a week (there are no ID bracelets); this is fine except since it's acting like a regular restaurant and the waiters are paid minimum wage, you feel compelled to tip at least 3 times a day and if you follow your conscience and the North American norm of 12 to 16% tipping it can turn quite costly over the course of seven days. The food is top notch though.
There is one infinity pool with a swim up bar. This also is the only outdoor bar. There is another indoor bare on a 2nd floor somewhere with a room for activities (Karaoke, card games etc.).
There is plenty of activities around the pool/beach area but that's it for entertainment; no evening production shows just one audience participation night, a Karaoke night and a few casino card games.

Room Tip: Never book a 'hotel room'.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank toptendog
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Bel Air Collection Vallarta at the beginning of March and had a fabulous time. It is a smaller hotel than the usual all-inclusive resorts we have visited in the past and we quite liked the fact that it was smaller. We didn’t have wristbands and had to sign for our meals and drinks, but it wasn’t a big deal. Because it wasn’t a large hotel filled with all-inclusive guests, it meant there were no huge buffets or line-ups at every meal. Instead we ordered off the menu and were pleased with the variety and quality of the food. Everything was fresh! They did have some buffet meals on the weekend and the food was good, but you could still order off the menu if you preferred.
There was one main restaurant that overlooked the ocean and we ate most of our meals on the terrace of that restaurant. There was also a sushi/martini bar that was only open in the evenings and we ate there twice. It was very good. And lastly there was a restaurant at the pool bar which served sandwiches, burgers, fries, nacho plates, etc. I believe it was open from 12 – 5 pm. We ordered food from there twice to eat poolside and it was quite good. BTW, we have been to Mexico seven times in the past seven years and this is the first time that we didn’t experience any kind of stomach issues. We have never been sick in the past, but have always noticed a disruption to our digestive system. This time we did not and were very pleasantly surprised.
The service at this hotel was incredible – especially in the main restaurant and at the pool. The dining room staff were fun and attentive to our needs. It was always a pleasure going for a meal. We ate all of our breakfasts and lunches in the main restaurant so got to know that crew the best. A huge thank you Angel, Carlos, Alex, Emanuaelle, Edurdo, Chris, Hector, Martinex, Dephina, Mauricio and Luis! You guys (and girl) were awesome!
We also received excellent service at the pool. Luis and Christian were very friendly and attentive to our beverage needs. They both took very good care of us and we never had to wait long for a drink. A huge pat of the back to both!
The pool at this hotel is amazing. I am not normally a pool person as I usually prefer the beach. However the pool was an infinity pool and had an incredible view of the beach. In addition the beach chairs at the pool were very comfortable so we ended up hanging out at the end of the pool closest to the beach and had the best of both worlds. We had the view of the beach and ocean as well as the sound of the waves crashing in and also had the comfort and service of the pool area. It was heaven!
I took stretching and Spanish classes from Danny and really enjoyed them. He was always friendly and trying to get everyone involved in the daily activities (water aerobics, Bingo, beach and pool volleyball, stretching, etc).
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well taken care of. Our room did not have a view and was quite small but we didn’t mind because we spend very little time in our room. The most important thing was that it had a very comfortable king size bed, it was clean, it didn’t smell musty and it was quiet. There are safes in the room s that are large enough to hold a computer and that lock with a number code rather than a key, which is nice. Thank you to our maid Teresa did a lovely job of cleaning our room every day.
We really enjoyed the location of the hotel. It was about a 30 minute walk along the beach to the lovely town of Bucerias. We walked in a few times and cabbed if it was evening. The cab ride is 85 pesos (about $7.50) and is the same returning to the hotel. We went to some great shows at Luna Lounge (I am writing separate reviews for them), had a bucket of beer at a restaurant along the beach (Adauto’s) and did some dancing at the Drunken Duck. All three of those venues were within a couple blocks of each other and the town center and the beach. We felt very safe in Bucerias at all times and were very comfortable walking around in the evening.
I wasn’t expecting to have Wi-Fi as other guests mentioned that it was expensive or wasn’t available. I brought my iPod just in case and was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel had free Wi-Fi. It was available in the lobby, at the pool and in our room. There must be a time limit on it as it would always disconnect when I wasn’t using it, but no big deal. I would just reconnect and it was fine.
One other plus to this hotel is that there were no time-share people. Or if there were, we never met one. That is the first time we have experienced that in Mexico and it was a nice bonus.
In summary I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering it – especially as an all-inclusive. It was a lovely hotel and resort and had just the right ambiance for us. I hope that we will be able to return one year. Thank you Bel Air!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elsie111
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We are former Playa del Sol owners who have stayed several times and have had many wonderful experiences here. My phone is full of pics that I show at the drop of a hat. We have a two bedroom lockoff with 2 floating weeks with beautiful views.
Two seasons ago I wrote a glowing review of the resort and it's staff . A few months later we found ourselves checking in and being told that only a one bedroom was available. The resort was a ghost town at the time so we found it hard to believe. A meeting with a manager in a side office resulted in a shrug and a blank stare. We had more people arriving the next day and a one bedroom wasn't going to work. So we left our prepaid week and stayed at the Grand Luxxe instead. It was incredible but I would have preferred the friendly ambience of the Belair. It really is a very nice resort for the 50+ crowd. The infinity pool itself is worth the price of admission.

So in January of this year, after paying a whopping maintenance fee I made reservations for the week of mar 15-22. Our flight arrives 1535 and we should be hitting the front desk 90 min later...after a quick stop for provisions. I hope our reserved suite is there for us.

So stay tuned !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Went with our 2.5 yr old and it was a fantastic place to vacation with him. The pool staff, Jessica in particular who runs the kids club, and does some of the afternoon activities around the pool is absolutely fantastic. My son loved her!! The pool area is great for young kids as it has lots of different levels of varying depths, and the beach is beautiful. Koi and turtle pond, where the kids got to feed the fish with Jessica every day. Quiet location, not much else around other than a few other resorts, but if you are looking for just a quiet getaway and not wanting to be around all sorts of amenities and activities, its a great place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We have owned here for over 12 years. We checked in on February 15 and we're given a studio in building 3. It has a hotel room in front of it and every night the people check in are loud and inconsiderate. I asked several times to change but always maybe tomorrow. From the management down they will say anything to get you away from the desk. The waitstaff and activities people are great. They cater now to the all inclusive crowd not the owners who funded the construction. The rooms all need repairs and we had to call over 10 times for them to fix something. I will have difficulty coming back. It is too bad as the beach and location are wonderful

Room Tip: Make sure that if you are in a Studio that you not stay in Building Three as they all ahve hotel roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Graham R
BelAirVallarta, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Member/Guest:

First of all Bel Air thanks you in advance for the comment left on Trip, we value your comment as one of our long returning guest/Member.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused throughout your stay regarding having to call several times for a maintenance situation, this should not be the case, however we will reinforce the follow up on all maintenance calls, you can rest assure.

Regarding the room assignments, being member here at Bel Air all memberships are floating and there is no guarantee which location will be assigned, we do try hard to fulfill however during out winter high season dates its more difficult so our members on our resorts. However we do try and you can be listed in a waiting list so that our next room option is showed to you to decide if you would like to move location for a better view.

We truly hope that you return so for a great vacation time.

Kind regards,

Roberto Díaz

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My brother and I spent the week of March 4-11, 2014 at Bel Air. I chose this resort because it was formerly a Playa del Sol resort. Playa del Sol went out of business and Bel Air has absorbed all of the Playa del Sol memberships. I found the resort very pleasant and inviting . It's small and tucked between the much larger resorts RIU Palace and Flamingos. They welcomed us with a mimosa and the concierge welcomed us "home" because we are all family here. I was concerned because we needed a room with 2 beds and they weren't able to guarantee thatv b. We just had to wait and see what was available when we got there. Well we got 2 beds, but in a tiny little studio on the ground floor. It had a half-kitchen with half-refrigerator, one small sticky frying pan, no coffee pot or toaster. It was dank and felt seedy. I told them I was disappointed and expected much more and wanted to see another room . Next morning they let us look at another room on the top floor and it was beautiful! Two beds, sofa, big kitchen table, full-sized kitchen with coffee pot, toaster, blender; and a gorgeous view! That made all the difference in the world and we enjoyed our stay. There are "standard" studios and "deluxe" studios there, and as a studio timeshare owner, don't let the put you in the small ones - they are depressing. My only complaint was the blaring speaker at the pool in the afternoons as they played bingo or games such as name that tune. Very few people participated in those games, but everyone was subjected to the really loud and annoying speaker.

Unfortunately the week ended on a bad note. I had been asked by the concierge to have a free breakfast and information session - which we all know is a sales pitch session. However, I was told that I should be informed of all the benefits that were available to me now that I was in the Bel Air family and that did make sense to me. I figured they would try to persuade me to upgrade to a 1-bedroom, which I may have actually considered. In a nutshell, what they told me was they were obligated to fulfill the terms of my Playa del Sol contract but that my privileges fell short of what they would be if I were an original Bel Air member. For example, if I wanted to use my optional second week (known as the Award Week) I would only be able to do so between April and November; whereas a Bel Air member had no such restriction. That's when I started getting mad because I only travel to Mexico between January and March. The final straw was when they suggested that there would come a time when I may not have guaranteed access to their other Bel Air resorts (such as Mazatlan, Cancun) because they would always need to give priority to Bel Air members. So we Playa del Sol adoptees are Cinderellas in Bel Air land - second class citizens. They kept telling me that I misunderstood and was twisting their meaning - but believe me - I understood perfectly. The bottom line was that for another $7000-$8000 I could upgrade my status and be a real Bel Air owner with all the rights and privileges that went with it. Never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate that they would try to persuade me to buy a membership in the timeshare resort to which I was already a member!!!

['