“Groceries and Restaurants”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Walmart is the best way to get groceries, $7 Taxi ride each way and plenty of choices. The restaurants on the property were hit or miss. They have the all inclusive schedule, all restaurants are never open around the clock. The breakfast buffet was the best but closed at noon and was pricey. Pool side cafes were okay, small portions and still costly. Went to dinner at Tramonta wanting short ribs from the menu....not available, then We settled for the red snapper and it wasn't very tasty and I still think it wasn't red snapper. We tried but didn't enjoy it.

Near by is Le Laguna, GREAT FOOD, SERVICE AND PRICING!!! We ate here multiple times.

Room Tip: rooms that end in even numbers face the ocean, odd side faces construction, parking lot or the close...
5  Thank Loving L
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Loving L:

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet.

Regrettably, it would appear we did not meet all your expectations. Nevertheless, this will be shared with the appropriate areas so they can look into each one of your observations, since they work tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever. We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We hope to host your vacation again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed May 23rd. We traded in from RCI. We got a two bedroom not facing the beach. If you an RCI member, no chance of getting a beach view. We turn down the timeshare breakfast. We got offered a beach front room, no thanks. Did not want to waste a whole day saying no. We got early morning calls everyday for timeshare visit. We found this act very annoying. The facilities very well maintained;swimming pools were good. This hotel is more suitable for families with kids. Not a lot of night life for dancing. Restaurants prices a little pricey; need to go out the facilities for good prices, no problem. Landscaping very lush. Maid service excellent. Found Barracuda restaurant excellent outside facilities @ marina. The beach was nice.
We have no problem returning. They should offer exchange people front beach rooms if available,

2  Thank Keokimelen
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Keokimelen :

Thank you so much for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your review with us. We are happy you enjoyed our pools, the facilities , our beautiful grounds and we are grateful for your kind words about our maid staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We would like to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Happily,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I am currently at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta. The resort is pretty, but I have been really disappointed in my stay! There have been inconveniences at every step. First, there is a very long walk to get from the parking area to the hotel. They have carts for part of the distance, but if you are aged or disabled, be aware. Next, if you want internet service while here, be ready to pay! To have internet during our stay it was almost $100.00 dollars, and you can only have internet on 2 devices, or you have to pay another$100.00 dollars...ridiculous!!! The food and drinks are outrageously expensive. The dinner buffet for adults is $299pesos which is close to $30.00 dollars. Drinks are almost $10.00 dollars each. Our room was nice, but smells bad...maybe that is common with the humidity...but not pleasant at all. The refrigerator also smells TERRIBLE!!! everything we put in it comes out tasting like old refrigerator. Most importantly...be sure to pack clothing with sleeves!!! We made the mistake of packing tank tops since it is MEXICO!!! and HOT!!!! but we could not eat in any of the restaurants on the resort because of the dress code. Today there was a huge storm...so huge that water was running onto the floors in the hallways... and my family had no place to eat dinner. Even though the weather was thunder, lightning, and pouring rain, the management would not let us eat in the restaurants!!! And we were very tastefully dressed. They were, however, kind enough to offer us an umbrella so that we could walk on foot in the tropical storm and find a place to eat without a dress code... what a crock!!! I was so mad I was in tears. If they are going to have such a strict dress code...maybe they should have some common sense and have a few jackets on hand to loan out. I would like to personally thank the management for ruining the family vacation that we have been saving for 5 years to take!!! After we leave...we will never come back again!!!

4  Thank Patricia T

Dear Patricia T:

We would like to express our sincere appreciation for taking the time to submit a review about your recent stay at The Grand Mayan.

Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as it helps us improve our facilities and services. We are constantly striving to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction and this is very useful to us.

We are truly grateful you brought this to our attention and if you would like to provide us further details about your stay, please contact us at customerservice@grandmayan.com.mx.

We look forward to welcoming you back .

With all good wishes

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I don't want to take anything away from the Grand Mayan as a resort - in terms of our ocean view room, the pools, the grounds, the beach and the variety of restaurants it's a 5 star resort - no doubt about that. We had a few hiccups along the way but overall if you're looking for a first class place to stay, the Grand Mayan is your place.

We were supposed to stay at the Mayan at the Marina in Puerto Vallarta (PV) - and since this was our first trip out of the country I was a bit nervous since I was travelling with two teens. So I emailed the concierge at the Marian Mayan and asked about shuttles to the hotel from the airport, excursions, etc.. Never heard back. A week later I emailed them again - never heard back. We were 'greeted' by a person who said they were from the Mayan at the airport, but he wasn't - it was a timeshare person from a competitor of theirs... but we got a free shuttle ride out of them anyway. As we were pulling out this guys comes running out and says "The Marina Mayan is close - take them to the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta (NV)". WHAT? Well, apparently it was slow season so they closed the Marina Mayan and consolidated their guests to the Grand Mayan in NV. IF the concierge has responded to me - I wouldn't have had a bad feeling about being told by a stranger to take me to a different hotel!! Turns out he was telling the truth so we went to the Grand Mayan but this brought up additional problems. I did all my research about PV assuming we were staying in the Marina - in downtown PV with tons of different options for eating. We've stayed at resorts before and eating at their restaurants gets expensive - plus we wanted to taste 'authentic' Mexican food so we weren't planning on eating at the resort all the time. The Grand Mayan is in Nuevo Vallarta which is about a 20-25 minute cab ride (about $40 USD round trip including tip) so going to all the places I researched in PV just became basically a wash in terms of expense.

So - when we got checked in, talked to the time share people and set up our appointment to sit through the presentation to get the upgrades and discounts, I asked to talk to the concierge about not being told I was going to a completely different city - NV versus PV. Well, my first concierge didn't speak very good English and the second - a supervisor - didn't understand what I was upset about because the Grand Mayan is supposedly MUCH nicer that the Mayan at the Marina. Seriously?? THEN she accused me of not sending the emails because if I had then of course they would have responded - so I must be lying. She didn't say that, but implied it So I made her give me a browser so I could pull up my email account and showed her BOTH emails that went un-responded too - to that she just said "what do you want me to do?" I was furious. I told her have her manager call me and she said 'why?'. At this point I was beyond upset and just wanted to start my vacation and told her to have a manger call me within 24 hours - and left. This bit of 'confusion' to be polite - was never resolved to my satisfaction.

The good stuff - we ate at Samba (by the pool), Café del Lago twice for breakfast (amazing buffet breakfast!), Burger Custom Made (expensive and not worth it except for the views), Tacos Break (good tacos and not expensive!), and then there is Ola Mulata which is basically like Samba but by the ocean. Food was decent, nicely presented but when the waiter set the guacamole and salsa down on the next table a bird came down and started eating it. Not a problem until he shooed the bird away and set it on our table for us to eat!! Of course I sent it back but I couldn't believe he did that... disgusting. Back to the good stuff - you HAVE to try the Macaroons in the Plaza... AMAZING. The ice cream at Balance is really good too, so is the yogurt in the Plaza.

More good stuff - the grounds are simply unbelievable. Take the time to walk around (with your camera) and just walk through everywhere... you'll have so many Kodak moments you won't believe it. The waterfalls, pools, lagoons, lush vegetation... just fantastic. My wife talked to many of the gardeners and even if they didn't speak English they were all to a one, very polite.

One last minor complaint - toothpaste. I've stayed at some 5 star hotels and some dumps, honestly. Know what they all have in common? Toothpaste at other items you might forget. Grand Mayan doesn't have little toothpastes so make sure you bring it!! Oh, they sell it in the Plaza but that doesn't do you any good when they close at 9!

Ok - I've been somewhat picky about some things, rightfully so in my opinion but to give credit where credit is due I have to mention two people specifically who stood out as great examples of Mexican Hospitality. Rojelio the security guard was just so kind and sincere... we enjoyed talking with him when we saw him around. The other was Ulysses the bell boy. He brought the bags up and - mostly at my wife's insistence - he stayed around for about 20 minutes telling us about things and what to do/not do... very generous with his time. And then we kept running in to him and he always remembered our names. Little things like that just made our trip that much better - so thank you Rojelio and Ulysses!!

Room Tip: If you agree to do the timeshare presentation they give you free breakfast (normally about $25 per p...
1  Thank Rick M

Dear Rick M :

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your detailed feedback about your recent stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn that some our staff was welcoming, as this is what we strive for every day. We will gladly share your feedback with the staff mentioned, as working to anticipate and exceed your every need is very important to us. The same way, it is pleasing to find out you liked the restaurants, our beautiful grounds and the Plaza.

Nonetheless, we are surprised to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your stay. Your observations will be shared with all areas concerned as our staff has a strict regimen of training and supervision in order to provide the highest level of service our guests expect from us.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This resort is starting to show it's age. Too many rooms with problems that aren't fixed before check-in, There is NO excuse to put people in a room that hasnt been inspected by housekeeping and hasnt had the problems fixed. It really ruins your vacation after a long day of traveling, and a very long check in precedure to finally arrive at your room and find the air conditioning doesn't work. Then have to wait for another room and take all your things and walk there only to enter the new room and smell a horrible smell. Black mold on ceilings and some walls. How is it possible that no one is aware of these problems?? The management is sorely lacking here. And the worse insult is that they try to strong arm you into attending a timeshare presentation upon check in!` Making all kinds of promises they have no intentions of keeping! The resort has made lots of changes over the past 10 years, and not all good. The new process of moving you from place to place via carts is a pain!! No more taxi drop off at the lobby entrance in the shade. Now you are dumped in a parking lot in the blazing sun and have to walk quite a ways to "get" a cart to the lobby. When you check out , they take your luggage and you take a cart back to the same place a make the long walk to the waiting area. Standing out in the blazing sun waiting for your luggage for over an hour is no picnic! The staff here is really great, but they are only workers. This could really be a first class resort, but it has too many problems. The restaurants are so expensive, most people leave the resort to eat, or go to Walmart and get their own food. How ridiculous!! Everyone loses, including the staff. The one caual restaurant on the beach, that we really like, Ola Mulata, has great friendly servers. It's nice to sit outside in your bathing suit and have a really good meal, and it would be nicer if you could sit and watch the beautiful sunset while dining, but NO this place closes at 7 pm. WHY?? We dont want to have to get dressed to have dinner and then have to change after dinner to go back into the water. There is nothing quite so enjoyable as floating in the lazy river at night time. Please, please, "fix" this resort!!

Room Tip: ask for Tikal or Copana building, much quieter, Don't fall for the guy telling you he'll he...
3  Thank Betty F

Dear Betty F:

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. . We are delighted to learn you enjoyed our food options at Ola Mulata and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

However, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Rest assured your comments and suggestions will be shared with the appropriate areas. Our resorts are constantly being refurbished and we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy. We would like to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We hope you allow us to make your next stay an unforgettable one.

With all good wishes!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were at Grand Mayan in late April.Beautiful weather the whole week. There is a very nice kiddy play/pool area for kids. we all adults enjoyed the lazy river each day because it gave us an activity-- very relaxing although not enough inner tubes numerous times so we just walked it. the food throughout the resort is too expensive and small portions so go to the Market place for breakfast or lunch and take a cab to Bucherias for a wonderful dinner at half the price.Ate twice at Mark's Italian. really good!!! there is delicious seafood on the beach at numerous restaurants . Churos stand in the square is a great dessert! There is expresso in the area where the fitness equipment is and gelato but it is thru the doors so don't be afraid to go towards the Spa also another secret for lunch or a breakfast on the cheap(but good ) a deli beyond those doors. Bucherias is a great town fun to explore and very safe! Also there is a Metro grocery store and aWalmart. your taxi will wait while you shop and take you back.

Room Tip: If you spend all your time outside in this beautiful resort who cares about a view. We were there on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VacaPlanning

Dear UffdaVacaPlanning:

We are gratified to hear about your visit at The Grand Mayan. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and accommodations.

Your comments are always welcomed. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation.

We truly appreciate your preference and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Happily,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Here's the GOOD: great ambiance, decor, beach, onsite pools, and most staff friendly. The BAD: the first room we were put into smelled very musty-moldy so we requested getting moved to another room -- still musty-smelling but better. We had mold on our bathrm. celing and there was no working exhaust in bathrm. 6th floor's view was fabulous but on-site food, drinks were insanely expensive. Resort's restaurants others had complained they were very overpriced too. We took a bus to Walmart to buy most food & drinks but on-site bar's mojitos were excellent. No continental breakfast. We would not stay in this location again as it's very inconvenient. It took too much time to get out of the resort and into Puerto Vallarta's sites & tours we wanted to visit. However, the grounds were beautifully landscaped & maintained. Lots of construction going on. Most nights, no entertainment. I personally preferred the Riviera-Mayan resort, entertainment, and that area's points of interest better last year: NOTE: already being a VIDA member, I was so annoyed with the pushy saleswoman who actually woke us up early AM to try to "sell" something else!?!? after I'd already repeatedly told her I would not spend time discussing membership/upgrades?! Ask reception to hold all calls to your room until YOU are ready to rise just in case. . . We had a great trip overall with many wonderful experiences off the resort! Great tours available in P. Vallarta!

Room Tip: Request 6th floor for less mildewy smell & better views.
5  Thank Kerry S

Dear pickNclick :

We are always grateful that our guests take time to share their vacation experiences at The Grand Mayan. We are happy you enjoyed the accommodations, our spectacular grounds and that some our staff was welcoming, as this is what we strive for every day.

Most of the feedback provided by our guests is excellent; nonetheless, we are always looking for opportunities to exceed our members’ and guests' expectations. We take this opportunity to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts. Working to anticipate and exceed your every need is very important to us as it helps us to provide you an extraordinary vacation experience.

We are grateful for your feedback.

Warmest regards,