“Be aware NO CRIBS, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, NOT a nice BEACH”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband, son (20 months) and l stayed at The Gran Mayan last week. I had requested a crib in my reservation. A day before my trip l called to add an extra room and happened to ask if we had the crib and that it was an actual crib and not a pack and play. The concierge person that l talked to said that they actually have CRIBS made from WOOD and that they were not PACK and PLAY type but that they didn't have any of them available any more and that they couldn't guarantee a CRIB because they were given upon availability. After speaking to a manager (Ana Junco) she confirmed that we were going to have a CRIB for sure. As soon as we got to the hotel they bring to my room a PACK AND PLAY not a WOOD CRIB as they confirmed on the phone. They said they DO NOT have ANY ACTUAL CRIBS at any of their resorts there.
I was pretty upset by this because l had called to ask specifically about it and they couldn't give the information right.
Also as soon as you get there they offer you to go to a breakfast to sell a time share and we were told that even if we didn't go, they were going to credit us for $3,000 pesos because of the trouble with the "CRIB" (Roberta Borgini). Of course by the time we checked out she said she didn't say so...very poor customer service here.
In general the hotel is very nice and the pools are great for kids. Talking about service, it is SLOW. It took sometimes an hour to get a drink at the pool.
If you are looking to spend too much time at the beach, reconsider. The water there is BROWN not blue, there is a river that goes into this beach and at this time of the year the water doesn't look good.

Overall very nice place and everybody is very friendly, customer service can really upgrade.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank adriana s
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear adriana s :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan.

We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit, since we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine hospitality by providing outstanding facilities and service excellence This highly exceptional occurrence will be addressed by the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests.

Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Best vacation in Mexico, we´ll be back late november. Bring comfortable shoes cause there´s a lot of walking. Breakfast at Cafe del Lago is great dont miss it. Pools are incredible. The Check in is very slow but attention is ok

Room Tip: Bring comfort shoes, lot of walking
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Leonardo A

Dear Leonardo A :
We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities and pools.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Rented through a VRBO owner who promised us her level of timeshare ownership: ocean view room on a higher floor, access to all pools throughout the resort, 10% off our total charges during our stay, even paid the owner at least $300 more based on her promises. When we arrived in late July, we received a first floor room with no view, access to only the Grand Mayan pools, and no discount off our bill. We asked management why we didn't receive what was promised by the owner, and learned the only way we could get them was to attend a time share breakfast and presentation. Apparently this is clearly stated in the owners' contract. Given the unfulfilled promises, we asked the VRBO owner if she would be willing to refund us the $300, and she refused. Please be aware that NO guest/renter of a timeshare owner will get privileges at this hotel unless you attend a meeting , and NO owner can pass on their privileges to you. It is an expensive lesson we learned that I want to pass on to you.

Overall, property was nice. Very well kept. Kids loved the pools. Rooms well kept, clean and comfortable. On the downside-restaurants pricey. Kitchen has no dishwasher and poorly equipped. No washer and dryer in the unit. Roughly costs $8 a load to wash and dry in the shared laundry room. With kids, doing laundry is generally something we have to do. Will likely not return. Money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank jmt228

Dear jmt228:
We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed your room and our pools.

Working to anticipate and exceed your every need is very important to us, and your comments will be useful for this purpose. We would like to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We truly value your constructive feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The Grand Mayan Nuevo is the signature property for the Mayans. This property has continued to flourish year after year. We go back every year. The property is absolutely stunning. My wife and I were married on the property almost 3 years ago. I will only admit that the check-in process is at least....aweful. We have had problems with that area. Three couples were upgraded to the Grand Luxxe last year for free. They offer free coffee every morning in you hall. At the Grandayan you will not get that. I would recommend to anyone going to take the cart out to the gate and turn right and walk up the road. We go to Eddies place for breakfast $10 vs $28 at the resort. Also you will find a lot of Restraunt s up the roa. They are all owned by Canadians and they are great places with great food. It is very safe so don't worry at all we do it every year. Enjoy your trip and try to relax!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank JLiccion
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear JLiccion :

Thank you so much for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your review about your stay. We are very pleased to learn you have been faithful owners of our brands and you continue to enjoy our tropical paradise.

Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate areas so that your check-in is an efficient and pleasant experience. Comments like yours are an incentive to continue perfecting our performance.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I am currently staying at the grand mayan thru an RCI points exchange. Let me begin
...I was told by the RCI vacation counselor that we would have a washer and dryer in the room and an ocean view which was completely untrue. When I checked in on Sunday morning at 1030 am we were told to come back at 12 to see if any rooms were available yet. I was then told that i could get an immediate ocean view room if I agreed to do one of those timeshare presentations. Well, as we all know those presentations take up at least 5 hours of your day and are extremely exhausting and inappropriate. Needless to say, we were given a room with a parking garage view, a balcony pool that was not very inviting. Since Sunday I have been completely annoyed by what has been happening. In order to get a towel for the pool or beach you have to hand in a towel card in exchange for a towel and then bring the towel back to them to get your card or you will be charged at the end of the week. They only have one towel station so if u forget to get one before heading to the pool or beach, it's a very long walk back to get one!!! Once at the beach we thought we would see waiters that we could order drinks from but not one was in sight. So we had to get up from our beach chairs and go back to the pool area to get a drink. Completely crazy considering we would have easily spent $50 on drinks just in those two hours at the beach! Very low caliber in my opinion. The worst part thus far was we were given a resturant program menu when we checked in which had all of the resturants and which days they had promotions during the week. When we went for dinner our first night at Samba, they said they no longer followed that program but that they could make us the dinner anyway. After we sat down to order, they said they didn't have the food available to make it for us!!! So we ate there anyway and asked the concierge about the food program, he had no idea what was going on so he called every resturant to see if they were honoring these dinner promotions and only two out of the ten were!!! We were given a program from last month and the resturants were not doing a new program because it was low season they said. We had to call the concierge everyday to find out what resturants were open and what times because most of them closed three days out of the week or were only open limited hours due to low season...BTW the pool chairs are very uncomfortable and usually always taken up unless you get there at 8am. The cabanas are pretty weak too. People put a shirt on the cabana to hold it for them and then don't come down from their room until hours later. The staff should not allow this. Here's the worst part of the entire week... We left our room in a hurry wed morning to go to extreme zip lining and left our wallets in our pocketbooks which we hadn't done until this day. Well we came home that day and realized we had money stolen from my wallet but also my daughters wallet. I was beyond upset because that means the maid must've searched everyday for money because the one day we left our wallets out was the one day it got stolen. This ruined our entire trip. We filed a complaint with security and they came up to do an investigation which was a complete joke because they searched our entire room even thru all of our personal belongings!!! And you won't believe this one, the same maid that stole our money came in and started cleaning our room while we were waiting for security to come!!!! I asked her if she stole our money and she said no! The security never even communicated with the maid service to tell them not to send her to the room until the issue was investigated!! We almost had a fight with the thieving maid and nobody cared!! I never received a sorry or even a follow up call about our incident but they made sure to tell me that they were not responsible for any money if it wasn't in the safe deposit box. Thank you guys for your deep compassion and amazing investigative minds! And to add insult to injury, the maid wasn't even that good! We had to call for wash cloths everyday! We started to think, they didn't want us to wash up properly. One last thing, I was called 4 times starting Wednesday morning at 6am because they wanted me to attend their timeshare presentation! I finally screamed my bloody head off at Omar and they didn't call again! I was shocked at this tacky, rude and disrespectful sales tactic! We were treated like vultures on a carcus, it was quite disgusting to say the least. Let me comment on the drinks, don't worry about getting drunk because they put so little alcohol in that you would need 6 drinks just to get a buzz and I'm not even a drinker!! They were the weakest drinks I've ever been served. I was hoping to drink away my sorrows but that obviously wasn't happening! We decided to go grocery shopping for breakfast foods and some snacks so when we got back to the resort via taxi, we thought someone would help us carry the groceries but instead we had to lug all of our bags thru the resort to get to our room which was not close to the entrance of the resort whatsoever. I couldn't believe it, where was all of the staff?? All I can say is don't get your hopes up of a great vacation here, what you see isn't what you get and please put your money away at all times!!! Thank you for reading, I know it was long winded but I had to tell of my experience just to warn others!

• Stayed: August 2014
12  Thank DanaVer79

Dear DanaVer79 :

We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit, We generally receive very favorable comments about our staff and the service they provide; unfortunately in this instance, it would appear that is not the case.

All your feedback will be shared with the appropriate areas and we will continue working towards exceeding all our guests’ expectations.

Feel free to contact us at customerservice@grandmayan.com.mx.
if you would like to make direct contact with us about your experience.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Nice place- but they are not keeping up with their former quality of up keep. Rooms are nice but at these prices we used to better attention to detail. Balcony soaking pools not cleened in 2 different suites. Phones and lamps not working. Kitchen supplies missing, broken or poor quality and furniture shows wear. And they charge extra for: starter coffee, every bottled water, WIFI, safe, and maditory valet parking.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank citizengjb

Dear citizengjb :

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan.

All the same, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas in order to continue working towards exceeding all our guests’ expectations. We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have come here 3 years in a row. We love this place. We have a 2 bedroom Luxxe suite and it is more than enough room for 4. You don't need to leave the resort because the new plaza has a grocery store, a meat market, cheese counter, fresh breads, desserts in abundance and almost everything you need if you forgot something including your bathing suit. They also have a liquor area. The resort has 7 restaurants or you can cook in your room ( no oven though ). They have an abundance of pools including an adult only pool if you want quiet. Puerto Vallarta is a 15 min ride to town and for 5 of us it was 37.00. It is not all inclusive and everything gets charged to your room, so be careful it's really easy to overspend if your not calculating what you are spending.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sheryl S
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Sheryl S:
We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our facilities, the accommodations and the pools.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.