“Great place...definitely five stars!”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Cincinnati
“Great place...definitely five stars!”
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We arrived at the GM at 12:30 p.m. on the the day we checked in. We expected to have to wait until 5:00 to get our room but were pleasantly surprised when they told us that a room would be available in about an hour. We then went to get our wristbands at the Time Share desk. We were never pressured to take a tour. We told them that we had another couple coming in that evening and were staying with us and that we would consider a tour once we talked to them. We received one call the next day asking if we wanted to tour the place but we told them no and they never bothered us again.

We had lunch at Ole Mulata on the ocean at the resort and had an average meal. The food was priced at about what I would expect at a resort of this caliber but the drinks were expensive.

We picked up our keys about an hour later and went up to our room where we were met by the bellman with our luggage. He gave us a tour of our condo and checked to make sure everythng was working. He was very friendly. He told us where the WalMart was and told us what the cost of a cab would be. We went there and stocked up on breakfast food and drinks.

Our room overlooked the area near the parking garage and was on the 1st floor which was above the time share sales area...not a very good view or location but based on several reviews that we had read, it is what we expected. The room was fantastic and we enjoyed our plunge pool on the lanai.

We tried the Italian restaurant for dinner but it was just average. We had lunch at Samba, the restaurant by the pool on several occassions and were very pleased. Again, the prices were about what you would expect for this resort.

One morning we went to the brunch buffet at the Sea Garden (part of the Mayan properties within easy walking distance) and were very pleased. It overlooked the pool and the ocean...and it was about $15.00 usd, much more affordable than the brunch at GM ($25) They had an omelette station and a Belgian waffle station as well as the typical breakfast items. They also had many entrees to choose from that were very good. We had so much to eat that we did not eat again until 8:00 that evening. Our only regret was that we did not find this place earlier in our trip so we could have gone more than once. It was mush quieter than GM and was very relaxing.

The entire staff of these resorts were excellent...we do not have one negative thing to say about anyone.

We would like to have been able to take a cooler to the pool so that we could have had a few more beers but they are not allowed. We did notice that they had a special of four cans of beer in a bucket . Unfortunately we did not think to buy one of these specials and then keep the bucket throughout the week and just keep it filled with our own beer. They had a drink special every day and two happy hours each day too. You got a large drink for the price of a small one.

We enjoyed the activity pool area and won free drinks when we played the games. It was really fun and when we got tired we relaxed in the lazy river. There were many chairs and there were plenty of palapas on the beach too. Unfortunately, chairs were often saved very early and you had to get out there pretty early to get a prime spot.

Several days we had tours scheduled early and then went to the pool after lunch. We were able to get a couple of chairs together and then had to find a couple more and move them together but it was no big deal. Very typical at the resorts that we have visited.

Overall, this was an excellent hotel and experience and we would definitely stay here again. It was top notch!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MawCincinnati

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
Simi Valley, CA
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We purchased at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos in October 2008 so our visit to Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta was the first time using the resort as an owner. From the minute we arrived, the service was top notch. The resort was immaculate, the housekeeping staff was very attentive and the concierge was extremely helpful with any questions we had about restaurants or activities. The bellmen at the front were very helpful and we never waited long either for a cab or for a cart to take us to another part of the resort.

I went to the gym one day and the attendants (or trainers) were constantly coming around with cold water/juice and cool towels. I had the best massage there that I have ever had and when it was done, the masseuse simply thanked me and that was it! She didn't try to sell $500 worth of products that I "needed". The guys golfed one day and said it was "fine". The back nine holes were not open yet, but were close to opening. They said it was a fun course, but not too challenging and they had a great time.

The grounds at the Grand Mayan are beautiful. They are constantly being groomed and cleaned. The lazy river was great - even for a bunch of 50-somethings! The pools were beautiful and spotless. We ate dinner at Samba one night and had brunch there on our last morning and the food was very good. Our favorite place was the beachside bar/restaurant (the name escapes me right now) - good food, great service, and they mix a great margarita! We had two favorite restaurants away from the resort. One was at a restaurant in Bucerias (recommended by the concierge). Adautos on the Beach is right on the beach and the inside part of the restaurant is like a huge palapa. My husband and I both had fresh sea bass, he had two beers and I had a glass of wine, and our total bill was something like 320 pesos - an unbelievable value! Adauto personally saw to it that our group of 10 was well taken care of. I highly recommend dinner here. Another amazing dinner was Barcelona Tapas down in Puerto Vallarta (our second time there) - unbelievably good food and service. It sits on the third floor up one of the little cobblestone streets and has an incredible view of all of Banderas Bay. Be sure to be there for sunset!

As far as activities, we did take a cab into Puerto Vallarta 2 or 3 times and walked the malecon and around the town. We found the people so friendly and kind, and very proud of their city. They made you feel welcome. Yes, there are many timeshare sales people but you just say "no, thank you" and they leave you alone. We did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour (ziplining) which I recommend - they are great! We also did the dinner cruise through Vallarta Adventures which went down the coast to a small place on the water where you had dinner and watched a show - we thought that was over-rated. The boat ride was the best part! Other than that, we just relaxed and enjoyed the pools!

We did our owners' update and did end up upgrading to the Grand Bliss. After that, we were totally just left alone and there was no pressure.

All in all, we could NOT have been happier. I read reviews where people complain about high-priced drinks/food but they have to remember, this is a resort! Things are going to be a little higher and you should know that going in and not act surprised... To me, there was nothing lacking at the Grand Mayan. In fact, I have already booked another week in November 2010 (two 2-bedroom units) and we are bringing our adult children. We can't wait!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank SueB1229
Hot Springs Village, AR
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Grand Mayan is a first class hotel, very clean, excellent suits but beware of timeshare sharks. They tell you it will only be a 90- minutes timeshare presentation but we had at least 6 salespeople for 5 hours. They would tell you I will get Sherry or Joe to sign you off (finish) but each new person would appear with "the yellow pad" and start offering you a new deal. They offer you a "free" buffet breakfast, 10% off your room bill, 50% discount off golf at their hotel. Then when you go to make teetimes the course is booked for the week. I think most timeshare people make golf times before they arrive.
My advise is if you get stuck in a timeshare presentation and you don't want to buy, just get up and leave. You really are not obligated to sign anything or be a captive audience to salespeople.

We enjoyed the beach. Food at the Mayan is quite expensive but you can look up restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta on Trip Advisors and walk about six blocks to the bus stop and just across the street you'll find some nice restaurants. We ate at Nopal Beach, Guido's, (no bread or salad served with pasta (?), and Godfather's Pizza.

My husband and I both agree when we go to Mexico next year, we'll find an all inclusive. I've never been disappointed in an all inclusive hotel in Mexico.

J A Druce

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Alberta
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I had a lot of fun here! The rooms are so nice, I found the beds uncomfortable but my mother didn't. The landscaping here is amazing, a bit confusing to walk around at first because of all the paths but once you walk on them you remember. Private beach was nice it kept away the people selling goods, very few and if you said no they would leave you alone. There are so many pools! Four, just by the Grand Mayan. Three regular pools a wave pool and then a kids pool. The lazy river is awesome!
A couple things i didn't enjoy were the prices of the drinks, about 75-90 pesos, and the beds. I found them a little hard but bearable. I would recommend taking a taxi to Bucerias and going to a restaurant on the beach. The have dining inside the restaurant and on the beach where there are lounge chairs. The drinks and food are cheaper, and delicious! If you go to Bucerias, eat at Yo Yo Mo's where they have the best pizza ever! You can also watch sports games on one of their many tv's so you can ask to put a game on!
PS. Stay away from the timeshares, they are on the right of the front desk.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 27 January 2010

My husband and I went for some sunshine and relaxation. We spent almost the entire week relaxing by the pool. The pool area is huge! There is a water playground for the kids, two wave pools, a nice long river pool, and five linked pools. There was not charge for use of the inner tubes in the river pool and wave pools. There are not any hot tubs but in January we really didn't miss it. The daily highs were around 83-85 degrees. The pool that is near the main entrance to the river pool has circular fountains in the middle that shoot out warm water, so this pool is at least 85 degrees and the pools get cooler and cooler as you walk from one to the other away from the warm fountain. We were surprised to have decently strong drinks from the pool bar. Happy hour was from 12-1 and the 16oz. drinks were 70 pesos (about $7). After happy hour the price went up 1 dollar. Compared to pool bar drinks in the U.S. this isn't too bad at all.

Overall we found this resort to be clean, friendly and quiet. We are in our 20's but most people there were middle-aged or older with a few young families. We weren't bothered by children running around screaming or drunk young party people. We arrived at 4pm and were told it would be 1 hour before our rooms were ready. We checked back at 5pm and they said it would be another half hour. They finally gave us the room keys and found the maid still finishing up the room. But it was very cleaned and everything worked just fine. We were told by the concierge that there would be a $30 (American) charge for using the safe but it was not on our bill when we checked out. We kept all out receipts and doubled checked our bill at the end. There were no problems there. We had a one bedroom unit which included a full kitchen without an oven. No hotel units in Mexico have ovens. We went to the Walmart for a $6 (American) cab ride each way. I heard the selection at Mega is better and the ride is only $2 more, but we made do with Walmart. We had breakfasts and half our lunches and dinners in our room. We left 1-2 dollars for the maid each morning and she left us lots of fresh towels and cleaned all our dirty dishes. The beds are firm but not the firmest we've had in Mexico. Our backs didn't get sore. We had a small pool on our balcony but didn't really use it. They called our view a golf course view but it was only partial golf course. THe rest of the golf course is under construction. We didn't mind the construction view since it wasn't too loud and we still saw Puerto Vallarta and the mountains in the distance. There were 3 daybeds/sofas (see photo), one in the bedroom and two in the living room. Each has about a twin size foam daybed with a cot size trundle underneath each. So technically you could sleep 8 in the one bedroom unit. The staff were very friendly as were the other guests. I have never been to a hotel where people talked to strangers in the elevator or pool so much. Many people who we talked to, both owners and RCI exchangers, have returned year after year. We were told there would be a $15 (American) daily charge for use of the gym and spa. My husband went to the weight room twice and we were not charged. The gelato by the gym is excellent! There is a little store at the resort with some basic foods, cereal, milk, coke liquor, water. But U.S. brand name stuff is expensive. We bought rum, coke and clear plastic cups at Walmart and took our own drinks to the pool. The pool bar uses clear plastic cups too and no one said anything to us. There is a computer in the room which we were told internet for is $13 (American) per day. There is an internet cafe with computers to use or wireless access. We paid 80 pesos for 30 minutes and 50 pesos for 15 minutes. (about $8 or $5)

The beach is clean and sandy but it is not white and the surf is a bit much for wading. We ordered room service once. A cheeseburger and fries was about $12 (120 pesos). We ate at Samba at the resort and enjoyed it. For a resort the prices were quite reasonable. Club sandwich with chicken breast was $12. We also ate at the Italian restaurant on site. THe lasagna was only $12 but nothing particularly yummy. Not nearly as expensive as Hawaii. La Laguna Tino's is a $3 (American) cab ride or 20 minute walk away and is open air on the lagoon. There was a live mariachi band. It was okay, the drinks were weak. It is a seafood place. We went a couple times to Quioxte's at the marina. The marina is about a 10 minute walk north from the resort. You can take the road, catch a golf cart, or walk along the beach. Quioxte's is a very friendly tapas restaurant. We mainly enjoyed the chocolate lava cake. We also had burgers at another marina restaurant, can't remember the name. The service was slow, we were the only table, but the food was good and cheap. For really good fresh Mexican food go into Puerto Vallarta to Pipi's. It is a couple blocks off the Malecon and everyone knows where it is. The portions were huge and delicious. THey make fresh guacamole at your table and have enourmous margaritas. They filter their water so it is safe to drink. This was the most expensive meal we had at about $40 (American) for the two of us. The cab ride into Puerto Vallarta was 160 pesos (about $16) and back was 210 pesos. There are plenty of touristy shopping places and chain restaurants along the Malecon. We took a cab to Bucerias for about $11 (American). THey have street markets of touristy stuff and a nice long beach.

I saw in other reviews that the time share people were a big problem. We avoided them altogether at the airport. We just went straight outside and got a cab for 230 pesos, but it should have been 120 pesos. We were hot and hungry and didn't care at the time. THe airport timeshare people will offer tours and free rides to your hotel. Don't fall for it! THey take you to other resorts for presentations and often won't even take you to your hotel unless you buy. The Grand Mayan tried to get us to do their presentation at check in. We said we'd think about it, took the info she gave us and unplugged our phones. We were not bothered at all the whole week. Different wrist bands ID who is an owner and who is not, but you need one to be on resort property for security reasons. It looks like the constructions has a long way to go, but it will be huge when it is all done with more restaurants and bars.

Overall this place was a great deal for some winter sunshine. It is cheaper than Hawaii, Miami or San Diego, the weather was perfect and the flight was only 4 hours from Seattle. We will probably go next January and take some friends. Remember not only to not drink the water, but also avoid ice unless its in alcohol and be careful about produce. Its not the meat that gets you, its their produce. We take 1-2 chewable pepto tablets each morning and night and never have a problem.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rndthewrld
Michigan
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I just don't understand the negative reviews of the Grand Mayan. People must be very hard to please. I vacationed at the Grand Mayan for the 2nd time last week, (was there last year Thanksgiving time) and can't rave enough about the place. The rooms were super clean, the pools extraordinary, the staff "over the top" friendly....So we didn't get an ocean view room. I don't know about you, but when vacationing I spend very little time in my room or on the balcony. I spend most of my time outdoors, enjoying the sunshine, the ocean waves, the mountains, etc So that was no big deal to me. Bottom line: This place is top notch. Can't wait to plan my next vacation...at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TO100
Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My family and I had an amazing time at this resort. The pool was incredible, with two wave pools, a tube slide, lazy river, and heated fountains. The activities around the pool kept the kids happy, and they wanted to go to the kid's club all day, every day.

The gym was amazing, with five rooms of cardio equipment, and a large room of Nautilus and free weights. The staff kept coming around with drinks, cool towels, and the manager was giving free exercise tips.

Bucerias and Punta de Mita were a half hour north by local bus, and were great views and shopping. The Mega store had the cheapest groceries, a third of Cdn prices.

The restaurants on site were expensive, but had great food. Crazy expensive drinks, though. We picked up our own booze at the local shops.

Hated to leave, the desk staff, kid's club staff, spa staff, and cleaning staff were incredible!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family