“Great find”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Original, authentic Spanish feel, great food, friendly atmosphere, good for a drink and tapas or a meal, fish and meat are superb.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely dinner at this restaurant. In fact there are two restaurants side by side - Mar Etxea and Wine & Burger bar & Grill. I ordered the fish baked in salt - delicious, nicely cooked, nice sized portion, good sides - and my husband ordered a burger from their sister restaurant. His burger was good if a bit "usual" but my fish was lovely. The couple next to yes had the paella which they said was as good as any they have ever had outside of Spain. Apparently they will design your paella to order - fish, shellfish, chicken, black or white rice, etc. I intend to return to test that out. Location is also decent. On the marina and on a nice night (as it was tonight). Prices not bad. We ate for $520 Mexican pesos (about $45 US) with wine and beer. I would recommend it.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

By chance my wife and I came across the Mar Etxea restaurant while strolling around the Marina in Nuevo Vallarta. It opened 9 days earlier. The menu looked inviting and we decided to eat there which was a good choice. The chef is from Barcelona and the food is authentic. I had oxtail with a wine reduction that was very flavourful. My wife had the catch of the day "Red Snapper" cooked encrusted in salt. The fish was tender and succulent. The prices are reasonable and the staff are very attentive. We plan on returning later this week to experience their Paella.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

In regards to Lourdes review last evening, I want to add that I was part of her group. I want to say that all the food and service was excellent at this beautiful picturesque restaurant adjacent to the Marina. This restaurant with its wonderful ambience is an excellent addition to the restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta.

Still, what I want to say here is that I am hoping that in the future, food that HAD NOT been ordered by the customers, WILL NEVER be placed on the table in front of the customers with the expectation by the management that these customers are responsible for paying for these items.

This restaurant certainly has the potential to be a fantastic dining experience in every way. The truth is that it almost was exactly that for of all of us in our group last evening. We really are hoping that this restaurant will be successful. It certainly can be exactly that.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My family and I went to this new restaurant this evening and were very excited to try some authentic Spanish Cuisine. However things went haywire as the waiter kept bringing food to our table that we didn't order. We were under the impression that they wanted us to sample a few different items on the menu as a way of introducing us to their selection of food. We only ordered the Paella for four of us and these other tapas that were delivered to our table were never ordered by any of us.

We ended up going inside to speak with the manager telling him that no tapas were ordered and that we had only ordered the paella. The manager told us that there must have been a mistake and that he would remove the tapas from our final bill. He went on to say that in Northern Spain, their tradition is to deliver food to the table and to decline whatever we did not want yet this was not posted on the menu or in any area for us to see.

Once the bill arrived to our table, none of the tapas were removed as they had promised and they kept telling us that they were sorry but could not revise the bill. On top of that the waiter made a claim to the manager in front of us that we ordered all the tapas for which we did not.

All in all we were very disappointed and extremely upset with the way they handled this situation. We will definitely not be returning to this restaurant and we highly caution tourists to be careful about their business practices.