“Beautiful hotel & Views”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very clean inside & out. Customer service oriented. Food was mediocore to us. Strong drinks. Entertaining. Upgraded to an ocean view suite upon arrival. The views were INCREDIBLE. Con-Internet was 90 consecutive min. free daily and then you had to wait exactly 24 hours before you could log in again. Was a bit challenging to master the log in. Would recommend this hotel. Just beautiful. Thanks.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed 8 days at Riu Vallarta and returned March 3. My husband and I are in our early 40s and are country people from the mid-west.This trip makes our 10th international trip in about 8 years. This is the 3rd Riu we have stayed at and I want to say this is a sterotypical Riu resort, but that's not a bad thing. We like Rius and they are predictable. This was our first trip to the Pacific side of Mexico and to Puerto Vallarta area.
If one reads the tripadvisor reviews they can get a pretty good understanding of the resort. Most of the reviews hold true. The resort was packed when we were there. The bartenders worked their butts off and always smiled. Maid service was hit and miss. The food is as good as any all-inclusive. Instead of repeating how "nice" the resort is, I would like to hit on a few specifics that not everyone mentions.
The rooms are stocked with a help-yourself 4 bottle liquor dispenser. (Typical of Riu chain.)
The mini-fridge has Pepsi, 7up, Tecate beer, bottled water, and ?seltzer water.
Keys are metal keys not the credit card style. The key chain that they come on is ridiculously big. Bring a neck lanyard or a wristlet key chain and switch it over for the week. You'll be glad you did. They only give you 1 key per room, but you can request a second key. It cost $30 if you lose the key.
The debate goes on about dollars vs. pesos, but everyone I saw tipped in US dollars. People tipped more at this resort than any other we have stayed at. Maybe that's the norm for this region. At other resorts we may be the only ones tipping that I would notice.
At the time we were there the resort was about 50% Canadians, 40% USA, and 10% other. Of all the resorts we have stayed at the guests were the friendliest here. Everyone was talking amongst themselves and happy to make new friends. Honestly, that was the best part of the trip. On the travel forum I quoted a friend that said this resort was full of middle-aged fat people and it was his kind of place. The average guest age was around 50ish, established, friendly, and a frequent traveler. The entertainment staff made it enjoyable, but weren't obnoxious. This is not a place for twenty-something partiers. There weren't too many singles here either it was mostly couples. The children all stayed in the family pool area.
There are 3 or 4 souvenier huts that are on the left side of the beach/property line. Their prices aren't bad.
The entertainment shows begin at 9pm.
I read on TA that this resort was by itself or at least that's what I was picturing. I want to better explain. The beach is lined with other hotels, condos, vacant lots, etc. The Riu Jalisco is two properties away and the Riu Palace is a little further yet. One can walk a long way on the beach in both direstions. However it's not practical for most people to walk to a town, activity, etc. It is true that you must take a cab to get anywhere. It cost us $6 for a cab to go to Mega. Six of us went into Puerto Vallarta via van, but then had to get 2 taxis to bring us back. Sorry, can't remember prices.
The 3 non-buffet dinner restaurants reservations are made in the lobby in the morning. Wow, was there a line! They were allowing people to book 1 or 2 nights in advance. It seemed like it varied on the number of days. The early reservations fill up fast. Save your best outfit for Sir George. The waiters wear tuxedo attire.
Bring a couple magazines to reserve your pool/beach chairs. Everybody does it, so you may as well be prepared. People were going out at 4am!
The reception area will give you bottled water to take on an excursion.
The draft beer was Dos Equis. The bars did have mixed drink and martini menus out.
The jr. suite wasn't much bigger than a regular room and was smaller than other jr suites we've stayed in.
There are only a few English speaking TV channels including Fox news.
I mentioned this was our first trip to the Pacific side of Mexico. Our usual destination is in Riviera Maya. I was anxious to compare beaches. Well, the Riu Vallarta has a large beach, with lots of trees, and is near the center of the Bay of Banderas (?). It is beautiful scenery of the smoky appearing mountains. However the water is brown compared to turquoise of the Mayan Riviera. Can't hold this against the resort, but I did want to mention it.
Please send me specific questions and I can try to answer them. I did like this resort, but don't know that I would come back unless the price was right. We have never been to the same resort twice.
My suggestion to the hotel: After the shows, later at night there are3-4 bars (including the disco) open. It seemed like everyone was wandering trying to find the best place to hang out. There were only a few people in each place. You should only have 1 or 2 bars open that late at night so more people end up at the same place. Dim the lights at the sports bar at night time and get the games fixed in there. The place is big, but there is nothing to do there. It needs a few more tables away from the bar so couples can chat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank respiratorytherapist
Reviewed 17 March 2014

So, we booked this resort having never been to Puerto Vallarta before. We had also never stayed at a Riu resort before. I wasn't sure what to expect but we got a really great deal so even ok, would have been ok. :)

The resort was very beautiful. I loved the design and the architecture. I thought the buffets were wonderful. There was a larger assortment of food than I have seen at any of the other all inclusive resorts I have been to. Everything tasted wonderful. Desserts left a little to be desired, but I find this to be true in all resorts I have stayed in, in Mexico. The beach was beautiful lined with rows and rows of palm trees. The pool was nice and large and even though the chairs may all be full, the pool itself never felt over crowded.

We upgraded our room to a junior suite upon arrival. It was very inexpensive and well worth it. I would really recommend this resort to anyone. All the employees were so friendly. They always had a smile on their face, always. The entertainment people, poor things, were there from morning to night and always smiling.

The only, and I mean only things I can complain about are......there was no room service, and the beds were super hard...I mean it, really, really, hard. Other than that....great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lovefurryfriends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Hi well I went back to the RIU Vallarta in Jan 17 again had a great time and the weather was perfect no trouble with flight or reservations booked with Budget travel warehouse in London ONT. ask for Jen the resort is as it was last time very clean and friendly food is good and the views are awesome

Room Tip: pay a little more and get ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank ajtravelsmex
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My family and I just returned from an amazing week at the Riu Vallarta. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. I couldn't begin to explain how wonderful the staff is at this resort...from the entertainment staff, to the maître de to the general manager who we saw everyday wandering the resort to ensure that everything was up to standard. By the end of our trip they all knew our name and made us feel like family.

I have travelled extensively and this was the first resort that offered a kids show at 8pm (Riuland). There wasn't one child that didn't look forward to 8pm. It was the talk around the kids pool the next day as each child was welcomed on stage to dance and participate in games. What a great entertainment staff at this resort.

The food and ala carte restaurants were great. You could eat at the ala cartes as many times as you want if buffet dining isn't your cup of tea, but at this resort the buffet was delightful.

There were two pools to choose from. The adult pool had the swim up bar and a lot of loud entertainment throughout the day. The second pool was classified as a. Holden's pool but a lot of older pele used it to get away from the young adults and relax. It was quieter with three small waters.ides that anyone could use but one downfall was we never has anyone serving drinks at this pool. It would have been ideal had we had a server a
In this area.

The rooms were clean with a fully stocked mini fridge everyday. We had great water pressure, hot water everyday and a were never in need of anything.

You can't go wrong picking this hotel for your next vacation.

Room Tip: I don't think you will go wrong choosing any room at this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Jensalhani
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We had a great short 4 night stay. This resort is very clean, has awesome customer service and great food choices. Really the only con is how the visitors are very messy on the beach. Us visitors need to keep it clean...why should they clean up after us? I'd definitely visit again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from a seven day trip to this hotel. What a wonderful place, staff was excellent and the service and cleanliness was amazing. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone..Well worth it just give it a try and I am sure you will find it as wonderful as we did. Great personalized service on the beach and you don't have to get up at 6 am to get a chair on the beach as there are always lots to choose from. This has to be one of the cleanest resorts we have ever been to. It has a small community feel to it and everyone is so friendly and miles of beach to walk on.

Room Tip: Corner suites have wonderful ocean view and are very spacious, and the higher up the better
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Marion D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!