“Typical Riu Hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Another great stay in a Riu Hotel, as usual the staff are professional, friendly, courteous and hard-working.

The rooms, grounds, communial areas are clean and tidy. The food was nice although very repetative, the bar staff worked very hard would recommend trying a "Mudlside" although you will not see it on the cocktail list.

I have seen reviews where people complain about the noise, unfortunately you cannot control the volume of people whilst under the influence of alcohol but when you go to Mexico you know that you are going to get young Americans dropping over the boarder and having a blow out on alcohol with the States having a drinking age of 21 but we have all been young and know what it's like.

There is a little market stall on the beach and although they walk around showing their goods, you are not constantly bothered. the local bus stops outside and is worth the experience.

Riu Hotels are definately worth staying at

Room Tip: Try and get a room high up and hope that you are on the left-side wing although sound will travel
10  Thank AndyCorns
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Vallarta

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arrived 12th July for 2 weeks, good 2 weeks but very hot and humid, travelled to mexico a few time but the first time on the Pacific ocean side, Food was ok but very repetitive, Rooms were alright had better but for what we paid they were fine, also free safe in the room but hey they did the job and were very very clean never had problem with cleanliness. Entertainment was good during the day but very poor at night, started at 9pm with a show and lasted approx 1 hour but they left the music going for another hour where they tried to get you up to dance. Went down to Peurto Vallarta a few times at night, which is very safe, got a lovely promenade you can stroll down.

Trips, did the outdoor adventure - dont recommend this unless you like walking through forests, a total rip off in my eyes.

Also please watch the jet ski's, make sure you look round them before taking them out, we didnt and they said we damaged them out at sea and tried to charge us 200 dollars in the end we had to pay because they threatened us with police and it was our word against theres.
Overall hotel is spotless, would I return probably not as I think there are better hotels out there.

PS Just be careful when you come through after collecting your luggage you dont get caught with people trying to sell timeshares/excursions just ignore them and go outside to your awaiting transport.

As questions please feel free to contact me

Room Tip: high floors = good views
4  Thank angelahollinshead
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had two nice weeks at this hotel. After arriving we checked in really quickly and our luggage was brought to our room.

The room was quite large overlooking the courtyard and the ocean. We were on 5th floor which only has the rooms facing the ocean, it was quiet and did not get noise from below. The room was kept very clean during our entire stay.

We found the food good with lots of choices, I don't understand people who say they didn't like the food. We tried all three other restaurants that you have to book in the lobby.
We went out a couple of times to Puerto Vallarta and took one excursion on the Chica Locca which was a lot of fun.

Would definitely recommend for a nice vacation

9  Thank Else F
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Before we went away I read many reviews saying this hotel is 'average' or moaning about small things which made me a little anxious. Oh how wrong they were! If you're a regular Ritz stayer and expect to be served by the highest of professionals then yes you may be disappointed but how anyone could call this place average is beyond me. I went away with my partner and we just had the most spectacular time. This was predominantly thanks to the staff at Riu Vallarta. Restaurant and bar staff work their socks off and are SO friendly. The entertainment team I CANNOT rate enough. They work so hard and are always there providing different activities for all age ranges and personalities. They are the friendliest and funniest people I have ever met! By the end of our two weeks they genuinely became our friends. If you're wanting to relax and dont want to take part they will leave you be but if you are like us and want to have a laugh then simply by saying yes and joining in on activities allows you to get to know them and see how brilliant they are!! The hotel staff are ALWAYS working, the maids particularly, meaning the hotel is always clean! The mini-bar was restocked every day and all was included. We could not get over that really EVERYTHING was included. The restaurants have lovely food, particularly the a la carte and were surprised to find that you could book as much as you wanted. Thomson were a fantastic company to go with on this holiday and they had a rep at the resort that was always there to answer questions and gave a welcome talk so we could make the most of our holiday - brilliant! The beach and pool were lovely - although the pool was always warm whch was strange. Pool can get a little noisy but everyone is friendly and all good fun. 2 pools - one JUST for adults and one for children. We loved this as is nice to have a place where only adults are allowed but some families seemed to get annoyed. It does however explain on the website that the adult pool is only for adults. We also went on 4 excursions with Vallarta Adventures which was 5 mins down the road and so worthwhile! Very very VERY happy with this holiday and would love to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the sides of the hotel are less noisy. Rooms with 'ocean view' could be noisy as th...
21  Thank Katie912014
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Only been back for 1 day & miss the place already :(

The staff at this hotel are all amazing, they are constantly on the go, always cleaning and have the time for you & are all very polite.

We went to the beach most days & although it wasn't clear water it was nice, there was always a nice breeze in the afternoon. Never had any trouble getting a sun lounger at any time of day.

The food was great ( I'm back in the gym on Monday to try & lose the 7lb I've gained in 2 weeks) I never got bored of the buffet. We went to all of the speciality restaurants, although they were all good we preferred the Asian & sir George. However we never ate at the beach for lunch, went in once and walked straight back out, far too many flys & birds. I'm certain this is the reason why some people are complaining of being sick. The main buffet is open for lunch and it's air conditioned....bonus...because it was HOT!

Our room was as standard, 2 beds,bathroom, TV & clean. What more do you want?

We met some really lovely people from the UK & Canada, it was lovely to chat amongst other guests in the evening.

Now this is the only reason why I wouldn't return, there isn't much to do directly outside the hotel. You need to take a taxi, which are not expensive but I like to take a walk & it's just too far and too hot. Would love it to be picked up & put somewhere more central. However we did visit the places nearby, the marina, downtown & the market in Bucerias.

10  Thank tracy131971
Reviewed 26 July 2014

First let me say,I have stayed in three other riu's in Dominican Republic,Cape Verdi isles and the yucatan .I've got to say this is the best of the four.Great staff, lovely clean hotel and grounds ,newly refubished rooms with 32"led tv's.I honestly can't understand some of the negative reviews on the website the food is good in the buffet as it is in the three other restaurants the beach is nice although not of Caribbean standards,the animation staff work very hard and do a good job .The mini bar is a bit hit and miss though it is surposed to be filled up every two days but it was only filled up once in two weeks without me phoning up reception to get it refilled but it didn't spoil out stay.Shame I can't say the same about Thompson airline, the flights were ok on the new Dreamliner on time .But I can't help feeling a bit ripped off because how the seats are arranged 30%normal leg room( 32")60%extra leg room (34")10% premium it is very hard to get 3 seats with normal leg room together.on the way we arrived over three hours before at the check in only to be told they was only single seats left but we could upgrade to extra legroom for £140 so we had to (I talked to people on our flight that arrived less that two hours before and were sat together in the extra legroom area at no extra cost)so for the return flight I tried to pre book our seats (on day 2of our holiday) only to be told that no 32"seats left so guess what I had to pay another £120 for extra leg room I really didn't want. We also had to pay £45per person exit visa,it would appear that only british people travelling on Thompson pay it ,I talked to many people from the US and Canada non of who had to pay anything.Ever had the feeling you were ripped off?

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank colloYorkshire
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Let me start by stating that this is a mid range hotel that until this year has catered mainly for domestic tourists and therefore is not as 'polished' as those on the Carribean coast, the hotel is also quite large and there are a lot of children so if you are looking for a quiet break or are expecting The Four Seasons then you are going to be dissapointed.

The room i had was large with lovely views and throughout my 2 week stay the maid service was excellent. There have been previous complaints about the beds and i admit they are extremely hard, but as i like a firm mattress i slept fine.

There is a main buffet for meals as well as 3 'speciality' restaurants. The food in the buffet was excellent, there was a wide choice and much of it is freshly cooked in front of you. I was not impressed by either the Flamingo, or oriental restaurants but St Georges is well worth a visit (just remember long trousers for Gents)

The staff I encountered were excellent and appeared to work extremely hard particually at the bars and unlike some previous reviewers i did not feel obliged to tip ( although i did, and come on 20 pesos here and there is not going to break us) nor did I experience any situation where the Mexican guests were given preferential treatment.

There are 2 pools, one family with a couple of slides and one for 'adults' with the pool bar. There were plenty of sunbeds and shade both around the pool and on the beach although i understand beach umbrellas had to be paid for.

90mins a day slow wifi and only in the lobby area was a bit dissapointing especially as enhanced wifi throughout the hotel could be purchased which means that it was available.

If you can get a taxi into the old town in the evening and have a walk along the front.

Would i return, yes but only if i had kids and only at the right price.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a junior suite or at least ask for an upper floor
7  Thank geordieworldtour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!