“Lovely”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've recently returned from our holiday and I have to say, Mexico is now one of our top holiday destinations. The hotel was well maintained and very clean though slightly dated in décor when compared to its modern sister hotel next door. Despite it being a large hotel, it was well organised and there were rarely queues for any of the all inclusive services primarily due to the wide choice of different bars and restaurants throughout the complex. A wide choice of food and drink was available with something for every palate, but I did expect a bit more spice and chilli in Mexico! Loungers were plentiful around the pool but if you're too late for them, there are always loungers on the beach - for us, this was preferable as there was a bit of a breeze on the beach.
The staff were lovely, happy and very helpful. Tips were not expected but for a few members of staff, very well deserved!
We booked three trips during our stay. They are well worth doing as you will see the real Mexico but they are a bit pricey and you are then expected to pay for taxis to meet your guide. We were only informed of this after we had paid for the trips but I do feel that this needs to be addressed as taxi fares in Mexico do add up, especially as this particular hotel is not close to any town and walking any distance in the July temperatures is close to unbearable!! That said, the trips were worth it but for the money paid, I think a coach or mini bus could be provided to collect guests from their hotels.
All in all, we had a lovely holiday with plenty of rest and relaxation in beautiful surroundings. We would highly recommend this hotel.

10  Thank GoneoffMallorca
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Vallarta

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I went for my parents 50th anniversary, we saw the beautiful pictures for the resort and we're excited. Upon arrival we saw a women screaming about $70 late fee. Check out is 11 am, you will be charged $70 for 11:30 check out, it happened to my cousin. I had booked a double bed for myself & teen, they would not honored my apple reservation. Front desk attitude is " we don' t care" 2nd night we found a roach in the room. The hotel rooms are not cleaned. Sink clogged,toilets that don't flush and glasses with films they are only rinsed with tap water not washed or replaced. No room service. Poor cell reception. Pool closes at 7 pm. Pool bar closes at 6 pm. Disco smells like urine and looks like an 80s house basement. The staff are hard workers but they do not have enough staff to take care of all the people. They are severely understaffed. And if you are planning a wedding there, don't, you will only get frustrated and go somewhere else like we did Villa La Estancia.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Dolores F
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This trip was definitely an unforgettable one. It honestly opened my eyes and warmed my heart;which I will explain in a moment. I have travelled quite a lot and seen much, but I have never been to a place where everyone is happy. The entire staff were so extremely happy with what they were doing; always smiling and dancing. That means a lot to me as a smile really makes me happy. This trip really inspired me to be happy too-no matter what. The entertainment staff were so extremely friendly to everyone. Charlotte, Javier, Joshua, Julian and many more of the staff were so kind, and the shows at night were very entertaining for both Kids and adults and I couldn't ask for any better:)

It was very very hot and humid when we were in riu Vallarta, but you can't complain. The ocean was cool and refreshing on those humid days. Although the water wasn't clear it was clean. The reason the water looked dirty because the sand was rising up and the water had a brownish tinge to it was because if the rain they got there during the season and I completely understand that. The beneficial healing properties of the salt water was all we really needed!

The food was awesome. The buffet had great selection and the restaurants were very amazing. The service again was incredible. Everyone was smiling and super kind.

The pools were a little warm but what do you expect! It's boiling hot outside which is why the water is hot. I know we want to jump into a nice cool pool but I understand why it wasn't cold and their really isn't much you can do about that. The slides by the pool were nice for kids.

The entertainment for kids during the day was AMAZING! Every second of the day there we're activities for everyone. The entertainment staff as I mentioned above were just Such beautiful people. You could tell they did their job because they loved it and not for the sake of money.

I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I am definitely going back soon. The staff had a big impact on my liking of this trip and I couldn't have asked for better service. I danced after the shows and during activities with the staff-it was just such a beautiful time and I am ever so grateful. Thank you to all the staff for everything:)

21  Thank Meredith J
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We enjoyed a long weekend with my daughter, son in law and 2 grandkids. It was a treat to check in and have a hotel NOT take a credit card!! The drinks were plentiful and the food was good. A couple of things I thought were odd...the pool closed at 7pm occasionally staying open until 8pm which seemed crazy for a resort. It was still daylight and there really wasn't much else to do in the evening except attend a show that may or may not be family friendly. As with many all inclusives they had specialty restaurants but men had to wear pants to eat there so we had to eat at the buffet every night. The men had collared shirts but these days who takes pants to Mexico in July? Overall, we all had a good time and it was worth the money. I am sure it would be a good time for adults only too although I rarely heard any music playing anywhere either.

Room Tip: there may have been wifi in the rooms for a fee, there was free wifi in the lobby for 90mins per day...
2  Thank Mona C
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Could not fault anything had an amazing time! Going back! Food brilliant!! Very clean staff always cleaning up! Drinks and cocktails were lined up! If I could fault anything it would be the tea bags but that's just being really picky!! Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite was bloody lovely! Could not fault this holiday at all!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The staff were cheerful and friendly and caring. The food was of excellent quality and well cooked. The whole complex was clean and well looked after. The hotel is situated in a quiet area, along with other hotels and gated housing, which is accessed through a guarded gate so is safe and secure - as is the beach area. The entertainment closes around 10.45pm and even before that is not disturbing to those wanting an early sleep. The facilities were first class

Room Tip: even the rooms with their backs to the sea have good views over the mountains
9  Thank DocMarian
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Can I just say, first off ignore the petty reviews.
My husband and I were given this holiday as a gift for our honeymoon. Reading the reviews before we went made us even more excited than before.
On arrival we were greeted by drinks and checking in was quick, easy and painless after a long trip.
We were given fab advice for our holiday and everyone was fab and couldn't do more for us.
During our stay we were always offered drinks and melon and the entertainment was brilliant. The entertainment team were always near by and never seemed to stop smiling or entertaining.
The staff of the hotel were constantly working hard, they too never stopped..can u blame them for a few dirty tables when the place was so busy, we never experienced a table not being cleared for more than a few mins which to me was brilliant considering how busy it was.
Of course there was sometimes a wait at the bar..what pubs do you go to that there isn't? The accusation of Mexicans being treated differently is stupid..why would that be in their interest to do so they want us tourists to come back!
The pool was lovely! The few times kids entered they were asked to leave within minutes.
It was really hot when we were there and the pool was a cool relief. Always had staff with nets skimming it. It's hardly their fault leaves or flies go into it is it? (Petty)
Also how dare the staff not remove sea weed or filter the sea?! This should not be included into a review the hotel cannot do anything about it.
Night entertainment was fab..couldn't have asked for anything better!
Our room was just breath taking, the view, the size, the cleanliness..everything about it!
It was both your birthdays when we were there and we both received wine and balloons and a lovely card to say happy birthday.
The hotel it's self was super clean I even witnessed a cleaner cleaning a mirror with a cotton bud! There was some kind of burst pipe a few floors up and within minutes there was several staff on each floor attending to the flooding. Brilliant efficiency.
There was a large group of young Adults and parents who on one night were very noisy, we phoned reception and within minutes the noise was stopped and the next day we over heard their parents saying they had been warned. The hotel staff were very quick and solved the issue as I would expect. If you don't want children in your holiday book an adults not a resort with families in it.
I literally cannot say how much we enjoyed our relaxing holiday in the riu Vallerta and how we already plan to return. I do not have any complaints about the hotel, staff or anything other than thomsons but that is also nothing to so with the hotel?!

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
25  Thank 20dawnm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!