“great hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have just returned from a two week family holiday and I was blown away by how friendly the staff were and clean the hotel were the riu staff provided excellent activities throughout the day I loved the parties on the beach and my daughter aged 7 loved kids club thanks to josh and charlotte who made her feel so welcome, the hotel is thriving and the bar staff do everything to get you a drink that you require thank you to vanesa for keeping my drink topped up, the waiters during the day were fab didnt have to lift a finger and tended to our needs for drinks etc and I esp loved how the children were treated to ice pops in an afternoon I would return in the future lively atmosphere, families welcome, clean pools something for everyone thank you for an amazing two weeks in mexico :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank sarahlou9876
Write a ReviewReviews (5,331)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Little late for this review as i was there in late April '14 for a 2 week vacation. Better late than never as they say. Hotel`s about minutes away from Bucerias but about half hour from PV. Stepped off the plane to the beautiful warmth that i love and began my awesome vacay with a short 20 min. bus ride to the resort. Resort looked so grand when driving up to it, and the Lobby didn't disappoint. What a fabulous resort ! Totally what i want in a Mexican vacation , from the beautiful ambiance & decor to the fantastic service. I was flying Solo , so it was nice that it felt like they were going to great lengths to make me feel comfortable & welcome ! Were met off the bus in that beautiful Lobby with a fella with cool fresh punch while we waited in line for our rooms to be assigned. But i was one of the lucky ones , i got past a long wait time and went to my room right away.
Loved my room on the 8th floor outside facing on other side away from the courtyard which i heard could be noisy at night, but a ocean view. Either way i don't think it would of bothered me. Room was clean and well stocked with whatever i needed. Housekeepers were awesome !
The whole resort was beautiful and well maintained , from the housekeepers to the kitchen staff and the groundskeepers could always be seen hard at work keeping up the beauty of the resort, Which had beautiful lush landscaping . Wish i could have tipped more as these people work so hard , with long hours.
The Don Rafael Buffet was awesome , always very good with a huge selection.There's birds flying around, but hard to control with outdoor access , they do their best with netting etc but oh well , so long as they don't poop on my food LOL. I only went to the Al-a-Carte restaurants twice , because i was so happy with the service, selection and quality at the buffet. Plus the staff got to know me, they automatically brought my drinks as i come in the door, now that's service ! My memory fails me on the names of the staff names but they were SUPER ! and besides going to the Al-a-Carte took away time from my pool time , wasting all that time getting purdy for the fancy restaurant's was not in my vacation plans LOL
Talking of the pool, My fave place was the adult pool. It was beautiful and the staff were AWESOME ! even the lifeguard Lucas was always hard working going way above his duties, cleaning up glasses left around the place etc and the drinks were smashing , everybody got to try their BBC's (Bailey's Bananas & Coconut cream) lip smacking good , but watch out after a few they sneak up on you LOL
Went on few excursions , the pub crawl in PV ( i even remember it all LOL) , Deep Sea Fishing (Lance Bouma from the Calgary Flames was on the boat, nice guy), a snorkeling trip, and on my own with a couple i met at the resort i went to the PV Zoo which was actually the best, i got to cuddle some baby tigers, cheetahs and bengal tigers and play with some monkeys , keep an eye on your stuff , that one monkey is a pick pocket ! LOL
I also went into Bucerias for a few hours by cab (cost bout $8)
Overall the best vacation i've ever had , Fabulous resort, made some new friends and got a awesome relaxing time too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside away from courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Connie D
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was the third time I stayed at this hotel only because I know it. We were there from July 28th to August 8, 2014. We were at the Couple Swept Away in Negril Jamaica In March and it is a superior adult only resort I highly recommend. We also stayed at the Grand Iberostar resort in Punta Cana last xmas and it was a disaster. We will never go back to Dominican again.
I forgot how hot it is in Mexico in the summer between 40 and 45 degrees Celsius each day. As it is a family resort there were lots of kids so if you don't have kids, I suggest you find an adult only resort. Many Mexican families travel in July so that was fun being with them.
We pre-requested on line our favorite room which was a beach front corner suite. Most Riu rooms are the same in every hotel that I have stayed at. We did receive the room and our pre restaurant bookings which I thank the hotel for. The room AC was working full blast and the bed and sheets were comfortable. Our large balcony has two cheap plastic chairs and a small table. We assumed there would have been lounge chairs given the westerly sun pouring onto the large balcony each day.
We ate at a few of the onsite restaurants including the Japanese and Steak House. The Japanese was surprisingly good with a variety of foods and better than the last time I stayed at this hotel. The steak house was unacceptable for many reasons and it was probably the most disappointing part of our hotel experience. The waiter's attitude was somewhat rude and he tried to hurry us along as soon as we sat down to prepare for the next sitting. The menue was limited and the shrimp appetizer was simple and tasteless along with the vegetables. You cant get a good steak in Mexico as they are sliced thin and the cut is inferior. The dessert was even worse. The hotel has to review this menue and staff presentation etc. The general buffet had a wide selection of good foods every night. I suggest eating breakfast in the steak house building closer to the water as most people eat in the main buffet room.
The staff were all happy and helpful. The beach was long and soft while the water in July/August was warmer than can be imagined and the waves on our last day were over 3 metres (10 feet) high and were fun to play in. Going into town is a must for shopping and restaurants.
Overall it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Corner north west higher level rooms overlooking the beach have large balconies and lots of sun.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter A
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The amenities are excellent, buffet was adequate with variety. Rooms are spotless but furniture is slightly dated and beds are old and firm. Hotel still uses traditional key system and there is no 24 hour room service.

Pool area is adequate and beach access is excellent. I had a beach view suite and sat right above the adult pool and was not bothered by the activities. Access to transportation or off site activities is not a problem and out of the four Riu hotels I have visited, (Cancun, D.R., Jamaica) this was by far my best and favorite experience. Hotel size is on the smaller side so you do not get the feeling that you are crowded. Many locals from D.F. vacation here so there is a feeling of being in Mexico and not at some Canadian or American resort.

Buffet restaurant is air conditioned and the lobby has several fans so you are able to stay cool even during summer months. I plan on returning soon.

Room Tip: Depending on your preference ask for room closer to beach, restaurant or lobby. Also upgrade if in...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rorozco999
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a good 4* family hotel, if your looking for a romantic break I would suggest it might be a bit too family focused.
We had a spotlessly clean, though dated, junior suite which was maided every day and the mini bar restocked every other day.
The food was excellent everywhere though the flamingo did get very crowded, all of the bars had internationally branded spirits initially but towards the end of our stay these disappeared unless you requested them by brand name (hey call me a snob but I won't drink cheap gin - I'd rather pay extra!)
There is a lack of sunbeds around the pool you need to be up at the crack of dawn to get one but there are more on the beach and these don't all tend to be taken until 11.30 ish however if you need an umbrella for shade on the beach you will have to either buy one or hire one at $10 a day.
The trips are a little overpriced but you are very isolated in Neuvo Vallarta, its essentially a hotel strip similar to the outskirts of Cancun and its around $25 each way into the main town which is definately worth a visit.
As others have mentioned you have to get a taxi to a central meeting point for all the trips (we weren't told until after we'd booked one) which does add up if you go on a few - not the hotels fault but thought I'd mention it.
In all we had a good time as we had booked a fab late deal but I'm glad we only went for a week its a bit too far out of the action if you like to explore but other than that its a good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and my husband have just returned from a weeks stay and had a fab time.
Check in on arrival was very quick with a welcome drink waiting. our room was on the 7th floor with a fantastic view of the sea and the pool. Room was lovely, spotlessly clean, huge bed optics and mini bar all included in all inclusive air con on all the time.
We never had a problem with the food and ate in the Asian and steakhouse restaurants which were both great, we ate out twice once in puerto vallarta which is also well worth a trip for souvenirs much cheaper than the hotel and once in the next town bucerias both meals so cheap and lovely, we went to the flea market in bucerias and straight back out to much hassling!
There is a shopping centre called Liverpool which sells most things if you forget anything.
We did 3 trips through thomson bought on a 3 for 2 deal, rhythms of the night which is hyped up to be way better than it is, the bronze dolphins was good but didn't last long and the best by far was the trip to las marietas which was brill, you have to get a cab each way to the pick up point for this though which adds on another £10 for each trip! There is not an awful lot around the hotel without getting a taxi.
back to the hotel, we started off the week sitting by the pool but soon moved to the beach for the breeze and it's much quieter, the pool can get very noisy and busy plus it quite dirty at points yes you can't help bugs but bits of hair and films of cream are a bit gross! The sea is very warm and can get wavy it's not very clear due to the rain washing in all the mud from the river so don't expect crystal clear waters, but the beach is lovely you can often spot dolphins out to sea.
The hotel was spotless they clean 24 7 and all the staff work so hard and are always so happy and friendly wherever you go in the hotel our favourite bar was la plaza you can watch the entertainment here without getting to involved and have your cocktails topped up for you, all the alcohol was branded too with a great cocktail selection.
We did feel this could be more of a young group hotel not so much for families or couples looking for a romantic getaway, there were lots of groups staying and it did get very busy the weekends when all the Mexicans stay, we would however definitely recommend this hotel and being our first time to mexico we will definitely return great country with fab weather, very hot and humid during the day and most nights rain and thunder storms which clears the air for a while but doesn't spoil anything, don't forget mosquito spray!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
21  Thank beckyNpaul
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've recently returned from our holiday and I have to say, Mexico is now one of our top holiday destinations. The hotel was well maintained and very clean though slightly dated in décor when compared to its modern sister hotel next door. Despite it being a large hotel, it was well organised and there were rarely queues for any of the all inclusive services primarily due to the wide choice of different bars and restaurants throughout the complex. A wide choice of food and drink was available with something for every palate, but I did expect a bit more spice and chilli in Mexico! Loungers were plentiful around the pool but if you're too late for them, there are always loungers on the beach - for us, this was preferable as there was a bit of a breeze on the beach.
The staff were lovely, happy and very helpful. Tips were not expected but for a few members of staff, very well deserved!
We booked three trips during our stay. They are well worth doing as you will see the real Mexico but they are a bit pricey and you are then expected to pay for taxis to meet your guide. We were only informed of this after we had paid for the trips but I do feel that this needs to be addressed as taxi fares in Mexico do add up, especially as this particular hotel is not close to any town and walking any distance in the July temperatures is close to unbearable!! That said, the trips were worth it but for the money paid, I think a coach or mini bus could be provided to collect guests from their hotels.
All in all, we had a lovely holiday with plenty of rest and relaxation in beautiful surroundings. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family