“Despite terrible luck fishing, we had a good time.....”
Review of Playa del Sol

Playa del Sol
Ranked #3 of 4 Los Barriles B&B and Inns
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Despite terrible luck fishing, we had a good time.....”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

If you are looking for a place to get some piece and quiet or looking for a place to handle all your fishing needs then this is the spot for you.

We just got back from a 5 night stay with 3 days of fishing. The fishing was not so great. We caught a lot of fish but they were very small. We caught a total of 27 fish in the 3 days and the total weight for all was 100lbs - that included our largest fish which was a wahoo weighing 17 lbs. I guess it is just not the time for fishing there this year. We hoped to bring back at least 100lbs of fish and ended up with only 45lbs! I find it hard to believe that 55lbs of our fish was waste....where did the rest of the fish go?

When you go fishing, everything is arranged for you at the resort. You go out on the boat at 6:45 in the morning and come back at 3-3:30. When you get back to the dock someone from the Smoke shop is there to take your fish and process it. Word of caution - make sure they write down all the fish caught and verify the weight before you leave the fish with them or you too may end up with 45% of your fish like we did. They say that 40% is normal but I just cant believe that. We saw people brining in fish that were already cut up so they just weigh the meat - I will do this next time. Smart move. Also, I would recommend that you go thru all your fish when you pick it up at the Smoke Shop to make sure you have it all. We caught two 9 - 9 1/2 lb tuna's and ended up with 2 packages of 1.75lb packages.

I would also suggest you make sure that your boat has everything necessary for both top water and bottom fishing. Most of the fishing they do is top water but the fish were apparently deep and the boat captain did not have weights on the boat so we were not able to get the bait down deep enough to catch those big fish.

There are a few things I would change at the resort. 1) I would mix up the menu a little each night. You basically have the same options for each meal and they never change. We got pretty tired of the same thing after 5 days. Also, the meal plan does not cover everything so there may be a surcharge for meals. The meal plan is definately not all inclusive. 2) The hotel apparently allows people that are not staying at the resort to come in and use the pool during the day. On the day we did not fish we found this out. There were locals there swimming and people that came from Cabo there for the day using the pool. I talked to a few of these people and apparently they are not strict about enforcing the policy of having people pay to spend the day at the resort. If I have to pay to be here and enjoy the pool and the facilities then so should they. 3) There were vendors there every night that would meet you as soon as you got off the boats. They were allowed to walk all the way up the walkway to the pool deck and even would climb on the wall by the pool where you are relaxing watching all the boats come in. I prefer not to be bothered when I am trying to relax at the pool. There was no one around to tell them to stay off the property. This is a pretty low key resort. You hardly saw any hotel staff walking around checking on things.

Another word of caution! If you are renting a car in Mexico be prepared to pay the daily car insurance fees. They would not allow us to take a car without paying. So our $70 a week rental ended up costing us $300 for the week. They say it is required my law and they will NOT allow you to take a car without paying for insurance. A lady even bought insurance online and they would not accept it and made her pay for their insurance as well. I dont know if this is a scam or not - the bottom line is if you want the rental car you have to pay for the insurance.

I truly think that eveyone see's you as foreigners and they are going to get the most out of you while you are there. There is constantly someone with their hand out looking for a tip from you. You will not see that happening with the locals. I wish it was different but I dont think it will change.

For the most part, we had a good time - especially spending the day on the boat fishing. Like they say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michelle5757

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my time at Playa Del Sol. It didn't have that touristy feel like a resort in cabo might have. The employees were all VERY friendly and we saw them everyday. The resort is small, so you get to know your fellow vacationers. The meals were all served upstairs on the patio. I had read the previous reviews - and I have to admit, I was a little nervous - but some of the meals were excellent! Some were better than others, but the Mexican meal (enchilladas, rice beans) was fantastic - better than an expensive resturant we had eaten at in Cabo.

They also serve a hardy breakfast so you'll be good to go for a long day of fishing!

As others have said - it's all basic - no TV, safe, and only a double bed (with two twins). But if you're fishing you'll only be in your room when you're sleeping. The pool was great to cool off in after a long day on the boat. And the bar was the hotspot before dinner to talk about all of the fishing stories. But those dang Margaritas are SO Strong! Be careful! Wifi is pretty much only attainable but the office/pool.

Our Boat was the Miss Petunia with Martin and Alan. The guys weren't too chatty with us. Maybe focused on fishing? After a rough first day (Maybe a lack of communication?? We ended up trolling for Marlin half the day when we wanted to go after Tuna) Our second day of fishing was awesome. We ended up with a 197.5lbs Yellow Fin Tuna. These guys obviously know what they're doing. They even busted their butts for an hour HAND REELING the fish in after the tip of the rod snapped off. They may not have been to chatty but they worked hard.

Overall, it's great place if you're into fishing. It's not going to wow you with amenities or fancy rooms, but it's a great place to relax and meet new people.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holly R
Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed 10 May 2014

what can I say, when you first get there you are thinking not so good
then you see the pool and your right on the beach. the rooms right basic no phones,no tv but clean plenty of towels the beds are good .the meals that are included in the deal are great three meals a day ,all top notch. the staff are friend and willing to make your stay very enjoyable..
So that's it for now thank you

Room Tip: any room on ground level
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank David H
Isanti, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Agreed with most of the reviews - except the one for the crew of the Kahlua. They did an exceptional job! Enjoyed the meals, but would have liked more Mexican food. I like swimming laps and this pool was better then most.

Room Tip: Room 25 - no shade for morning sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sharon17-mn
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you are looking for a clean, quiet, rustic hotel, then this is for you. Prices are good and amenities are basic. No safe in the room, but it's a safe town. We thought the food was great and watch out for those margaritas!!! Pool area was always clean and not too busy. Small town charm. Loved it. Wifi is touchy. If it's important to you, ask for one of the rooms close to the main office - reception is better there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monique173
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have stayed at Playa del Sol in the past and generally speaking, it is a decent place to visit from the fishing perspective. The hotel rooms are very basic, 2 singles and a double. They were clean and the air conditioner worked great. The food is a little marginal, but you can always walk down to Palmas de Cortez or visit the local restaurants for alternative food options. The best thing we like about this resort is that it was not crowded and had the pool to ourselves. The price for the room and included food is reasonable for what you get.

Now onto the fishing. The first day of 3 days of fishing was a tough one. The engine blew (The Dona) up about an hour out from the dock with the first of several boats we ended up using while we were there.. We had to wait about 2 hours for another boat to come and pick us up. Since it was already after 10 in the morning and the place we wanted to go and fish was over another hour away, we decided to fish closer to the hotel just to get in more fishing time. We finally got our lines in the water and ended up catching 3 dorado and a marlin. This captain was very nice and stayed out an extra hour and a half since we broke down.

On the second day, we fished on the same boat that picked us up the day before and we had an excellent day of fishing. We went to the spot were going to fish the day before and ended up with 11 tuna and 5 dorado between the two of us. Unfortunately, this book was already reserved for the last day we were there. I will say this's boats name was a type of liquor and will definitely go out with him again the next time I visit.

We ended up being assigned to the Kahlua the last day and half an hour in I had a bad feeling about the trip. We wanted to go for dorado and bill fish this last day since I was looking for a marlin. As we went to get bait (sardines), none was available this morning. So, the captain decided to slow troll with our ballyhoo to catch the dorado. We went through 3 of the 7 baits before we were able to land a dorado. We caught 2 dorado and only had 2 ballyhoo left. This made me very nervous as the ballyhoo are good baits to drop back to marlin. We then went on a boat ride to the north. I say boat ride because there were no other boats around and all the billfish seemed to be where we were fishing for the dorado. We then used the last of our 2 ballyhoo and caught one more dorado. Since we were out of bait, I think the captain assumed we had no idea how to fish for marlin in the east cape. He had on 1 lure that could catch a marling, one lure for wahoo (rapala) and a lure for tuna (cedar plug). My intelligence was completely insulted. I then also told my friend that I would bet we would be the first boat back into the dock that day and we were. The captain did not get a tip from me this day as I felt like he just wasted our time and wanted to work his 7.5 hours and get back to the dock. It was very obvious that he did not care about us or about getting a tip. I also have to mention that he had engine troubles as well as he checked it several times throughout the day. The best recommendation I can give you if you travel to the Van Wormer's resorts is to NOT use the KAHLUA to fish. I have found over the years that there are 2 types of captains; the kind that want to catch fish more than you and the kind that could care less if you caught a fish. Unfortunately, the captain I had used in the past no longer was fishing which made this a boat searching trip. I can not say about bad about the captain of the Dona as we did not even get to drop a line in the water, but seeing how the engine was held together literally by duct tape and plastic bags, I will not use that boat again for fear of engine failure (the water hose broke on our trip and fried the engine). Another big recommendation I can make is that when you show up, check out the number of flags on the boats that come in the afternoon. This is generally a good indicator as to who is a better fisherman than others. We had 3 flags on the last day and there were plenty of other boats that had 10 or more fishing for the same species of fish.

The staff are all real friendly and Leonardo makes great ceviche and sashimi at the bar. We will be back in the future and hope that our new found captain is still there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Scott876
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Six of us stayed here for six nights on a Baja fishing trip. Location was great, Los Barriles, about 50 miles north of Los Cabos airport. Resort was all that we expected, been around for awhile but in good shape and clean. Fishing was OK not the best time of year. I am not sure how they manage to put people up at 140.00 per night double occuapncy including food (three meals a day). You got what they were serving that day but the food was OK. All in all I would retrurn but not for a romantic weekend. Great for a guys trip.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles
Las Terrazas Del Cortes
Las Terrazas Del Cortes
#1 of 2 in El Cardonal

Been to Playa del Sol? Share your experiences!