All reviewscastle hillcrash padski fieldsliving roomstayed one nightkeikoboulderingbackpackersnzsheetsmotelchristchurch
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I stayed one night at Smylies. Smylies is an excellent base for skiing at any of the nearby ski fields such as Porters, Craigiburn, Broken River and also operate transport to and from these fields. The rooms are very warm which is important in winter. As an accommodation, they cater for anyone from Backpackers through to anyone looking for a NZ country adventure. Springfield has a lot of adventure activities available from horse trekking through to jet boat adventures in the Waimakareri river. Access to Springfield is easy to get to either via the TranzAlpine train from either Greymouth or Christchurch, or by road.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

This family run hostel/motel might not be the newest and flashiest out there, but the warm and cozy atmosphere made it one of our favorite stays after four months in NZ. Especially the lovely Keiko made our stay memorable, always smiling and wanting to help.

They had brand new crash pads for us to use while bouldering in Castle Hill and also sells/rent the guide book as well as shoes which we didn't need. Keiko even gave me a brush for free since she felt her husband had priced it to high. We came back later while we were renting a house in Castle Hill for my birthday to rent a crash pad and she gave me a day free as a birthday gift. Much appreciated. Sadly I didn't get to try her food, which I hear is great.

Would definitely stay here again for another bouldering trip to the absolutely fantastic Castle Hill.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2017

This place was nice enough but the staff were rude enough to prevent me from coming back. If you want a nice place with a relaxed vibe, go down to Springfield motel and lodge instead. There are plenty of other options.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else?
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank innernetz
Reviewed 16 January 2017

If you're looking for a quiet and cosy place, this is it. Springfield is a quiet town in itself and this hostel, situated just across the railway and a short distance to the Atomic Shuttle pickup point, offers a convenient and comfortable stopover if you're enroute to Arthur's Pass/ Christchurch. The owners Colin and Keiko are very friendly. Keiko said that the Atomic Shuttle will pickup at the hostel itself if you request it when booking.

The first thing I noticed was the very comprehensive info file on the dining table. It describes the property and occupants (including the cat, sheep, alpacas and pig), activities within different proximity of the hostel, food available at the hostel etc. A lot of care and pride obviously went into orientating newcomers. There is an extensive library from which you can do a book swap, and a piano (that I resisted playing as the soft pedal wasn't working and I didn't want to disturb the whole place). The piano is in a comfy reading lounge, whose windows open to the windy patio outside.

This hostel was the only one in my 2-wk trip that kept me comfortably warm thru the night. Colin explained that it's because the beds have another layer called the "futon". There's also an additional fleece layer which I kept folded down, and a standing radiator which I used only to dry my towels. Shower heaters worked very well. There's no fearing the cold here. My bed was nearest the main road where vehicles streamed by and their lights cast some fascinating shadows. But draw the curtains and neither light nor noise was any problem. The only thing I noticed was that wall power sockets in the room might not be enough for everyone if fully booked.

I'd booked a horseriding trip with Rubicon Valley. Although it wasn't booked thru the hostel, Colin very kindly helped me confirm arrangements with them when the weather turned grey and drizzly. I'd definitely stay here again if I come by Springfield in future.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2016

2 nights in a quiet large upstairs double room with a really comfy bed. it really didn't matter that we had to share bathroom and toilets with other guests.The hosts, Colin and Keiko are very welcoming and the facilities are amazing. The vegetarian japanese style dinner we enjoyed for only $25 per person was delicious course after course following each other. So tasty and so full!

Stayed: October 2016