“Perfectly acceptable”
Review of The Chairmakers

The Chairmakers
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: If you're looking to flee the city, there's no better pub than The Chairmakers. Surrounded by rolling fields and historic buildings in Worlds End, Hambledon, it’s the perfect place to unwind with your favourite drink and something from our mouth-watering menu.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Our party of six dined at the Chairmakers on Monday evening, and all seem to agree that there are both better and worse places to eat. The menu consisted of classic pub grub, although we had mixed opinions about the food. The sausage and smoked mash were highly praised, however the fish and chips were somewhat lacking. Perhaps having eaten wonderful Whitby fish and chips all my life has raised expectations, but the dish seemed a little underwhelming (soggy fish, frozen peas instead of mushy). Service was very minimal - staff looked very bored. All in all an ok pub meal, shame they charge restaurant prices.

1  Thank frostandfire

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited this pub/restaurant last evening for a family birthday celebration.Thankfully there was enough of us to occupy each other and fill in the ridiculously long time waiting to be served our main course. There was almost an hours wait between the starters and main. The waitress then came over and said that the chef 'wasn't happy with the way the rice had turned out'.My option was to wait until he cooked some more or have chips with my Thai red curry. I chose the chip option as I hadn't had a starter and I was starving. The chips arrived looking white and flaccid, as did everyone else's and my curry was gloopy and tasteless. I think the idea of making customers wait for their main is a cunning wheeze to make sure customers are so hungry they will eat anything before realizing halfway through that in fact, the food is pretty awful. The young girls serving at table were sweet and polite but maybe need a bit of training. No offer of getting a drink for anyone (we had to go to the bar), the birthday cake was delivered to the table then after a while, we realized that unless we asked, we would not be getting a knife with which to cut it or any plates to serve it on! Little things, but very annoying. As we had two relatives with us who were in their eighties and it was a birthday celebration, we made no complaint. If my husband and I had been on our own, it would have been a different story. Such a shame, the pub is in a beautiful situation and should have been amazing.However, we shall not be returning.

5  Thank pollyGloucester
Reviewed 17 August 2014

How anyone can rate this as good food must have no taste buds.. average bog standard food, not particularly well cooked.. pub is quite scruffy on the inside.. and the gravy was really thick, very dark brown and tasted like bisto.. just awful.. I had vegetarian sausages which were inedible ... just hot mush on a plate... will never go there again or recommend it...

4  Thank Housebrownie
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently went to the Chairmakers for Lunch to celebrate my Birthday.

I didn't have the option of leaving our pet Dog at home so needed a Pub that was Dog Friendly.

The Chairmakers were happy to oblige and although the lunchtime menu was due to end in just over an hour were quick to serve and ensure we had a great visit.

I have to say (personally speaking) I've never had a bad experience at the Chairmakers in the 10 years i've been visiting.

3  Thank Sean D
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice food, ate outside. Few things for kids to do outside. Just shame garden next to road where lots of cars drive past.