“Good food & atmosphere but service not seamless”
Review of Red Lounge - Cowplain - CLOSED

Red Lounge - Cowplain
Price range: US$28 - US$71
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Foods fantastic. Atmosphere is lovely. Communication between staff not great however. Owner is clearly trying to run a slick& smooth joint. Overall great

Reviewed 10 April 2014

After rudely being told that they were 'all booked up ' last month , we decided to phone up and book ( rather than just walking in with the expectation to dine). The service was atrocious, the waitress had an attitude problem . Finally when the food did arrive it was cold and tasteless. I would not waste my time attempting to book a table here again!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I just happened to be the area on Friday evening and called in out of the blue on the off-chance after asking a friend if there were any decent places to eat in the area. The welcome was friendly and cordial. The food.... well, truly first class for the price. We both had the cod with new potatoes and the fish just melted in the mouth and must be about the best we have ever tasted. Would we return again? That's a no brainer, without a doubt we will. Excellent all round. Next time we will have the steaks everyone is raving about, but they will have to go a long way to beat the ones we had in South Africa, we'll see if it lives up to expectations and hold down the gauntlet.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Another great meal. I had the ribs to start followed by Sirloin steak, my husband had the sticky chicken wings followed by the Lamb shank, it was all very tasty. It was buzzing with people on a Saturday evening but we couldn't fault the service as always..

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I've never looked on Cowplain as a gastronomic centre so dropped in for a meal on a Wednesday night with only moderate expectations. However recent reviews had looked promising but my concern was that it might lack atmosphere through being too empty and were their BBQ ribs really as good as others had reported? I was pleasantly surprised! Whilst there were not a lot of other diners there were enough already there and the tables were spaced out enough so that we were not right on top of them. The service was friendly and attentive without being over intrusive and I am pleased to say that the food was very good. The starter of battered king prawns with a chilli dip and fresh limes was delicious and I'd ordered one serving of olives between four to munch on as a pre starter. Had I realised just how tasty they were I'd have ordered four helpings! The olives were a mix of green and black, pitted and plump and were excellent. Since having tasted the best baby back ribs ever at Dan Ryans in Hong Kong, many years ago, I am always on the lookout for others to compare. The Red Lounge's offering was good, plentiful and tender, but no-where near up to Dan Ryan's standard. I've never found any since as good as they were. In fact if you like ribs, the best I have found in the UK have been in Waitrose. Their slow cooked pork loin rack of ribs with red eye BBQ rub and drizzle are heavenly and also in my view better than those I tried in The Red Lounge. But I digress. The fillet steak that my wife chose was a lovely juicy cut and will be my choice when I eat here next which I will. I recommend that you give this place a try,. It deserves to succeed.