“A Tale of Two halves”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
“A Tale of Two halves”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We ate here twice in a week - it was nearly just the once, but we thought we would give them another chance. This is not the first time we have visited, the first was about four years ago and we loved it. This time we were staying in Burton Bradstock and took advantage of two pubs within a short walk.

The Anchor has a restaurant and a bar area. Dogs are allowed in both and it did not prove a problem. The menu in the restaurant is far larger and more elaborate than the bar and I would say that the atmosphere is better. I think a tv does distract husbands!

This place prides itself on fish, so I started with crabs claws and they were perfect: served with mayonnaise to dip into with proper implements and a finger bowl. All going swimmingly, I thought. We then had fish and were underwhelmed. I think to served overcooked fish was almost inexcusable. There were plenty of vegetables but they did not make up for the fish. My husband had the crumble and he enjoyed it.
I had the house sauvignon which was passable - just. The husband is very fond of Dorset Gold, so he was happy.

The second trip we were in the bar area and I had the crab claws as before but I had to ask for the implements and also the finger bowl. The fish I had was very well cooked and I enjoyed it.

Overall, nice place, very friendly staff, welcoming, but not quite as we remembered.
Would we come back - yes but probably we would choose a safer dish.
It is important to book here

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fabulous”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Fabulous restaurant in one of the most beautiful villages in Dorset. Menu choices extensive - brilliant if you like seafood and fish. You need to book!

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“They now have Boutique Style Rooms as well”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have eaten here many times and have just returned from a 2 night stay in recently refurbished rooms (they have 3). The accommodation is to a very good standard and the location difficult to beat.

As always the food is the icing on the cake: with the breakfast only available to residents and honestly one of the best I have had anywhere - good quality and plenty of everything freshly cooked to order. Our other meals were as good as always and the service efficient and friendly. The food and drink went down even better as we did not have to travel afterwards.

Kent England
“Sublime food with attentive service”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My Family and I ate at this excellent Hostelry twice during a recent stay in Dorset, to be honest I think we would have eaten here all week if we had discovered it earlier!!
Staff are attentive but not fussy, and could not have made us feel more welcome.
I hate reviews which fuss over cost and whether it was "worth the money" All that matters is whether the food was up to your expectations and that you enjoyed the whole experience offered. Suffice to say we were all more than impressed with our meals and the service received was first class.
We highly recommend this establishment.
Very much looking forward to visiting again next time we are in the area.

Visited July 2014
uk
“quality food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

this is my 2nd visit & we treated our teenage children. My daughter commented on having the best tasting pate & mouth-watering duck she'd ever tasted! My son was initially worried about any bones in his fish, but thankfully not one was found. My husband, not an avid fish fan, plunged for the thai fish cakes & raved about them all night, even though he had a gorgeous rib eye to follow. I had the delicious scallops, which I hastened to add are to die for! Followed by the fantastic fish trio, all meals are surved with a choice of potatoes-highly recommend the homemade chips, and salad or veg. We did pig out on the homemade deserts too! The service was excellent, in between servings was well timed and all in all a real gem, defonately will return & highly recommend, though advisable to book, though not necessary.