“Down-at-Heel, but Great Food”

The Little Mill Inn
Ranked #9 of 27 Restaurants in New Mills
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Its on Google earth
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Unlike many other reviewers, we had to wait only 30 minutes for our food, which was just at the upper bounds of reasonableness for home-made food, I think. I have to say that, though we were disappointed at the portion sizes, the quality of my Steak & Guinness Pie and my wife's bacon and mushroom sandwich with cheese were delicious, and it is this and the pleasantness of the serving staff that help the Little Mill get Average marks from me. Otherwise, there was no welcome or friendliness from the barman when taking my order, the place looks dark inside and down-at-heel out, and is just generally unloved. It could be so much better, given its location beside a stream on the edge of a pretty village with oodles of walkers and cyclists passing by on the lunch-time we were there. Perhaps the fact the air is perpetually punctuated by gun-shots from the nearby shooting range has something to do with it. Until the firing ceased, sitting outside was a less than relaxing experience. The place is also up for sale. I wonder why!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Really really bad place. Tables littered with dirty plates and glasses used napkins empty condiment wrappers! I didn't see one person clear a table while we were there. Unfortunately I didn't see this till I had ordered and we sat waiting for over an hour for our food. I saw the queue was long but hoped it was a good sign that it was worth the wait. I stood in line for over 30mins to order 2 meals and 2 drinks. We had drank our drinks before good came but dare not queue again for another drink in case I missed my food. When the food finally arrived it came minus the side dish. The good was extremely disappointing I don't know if any of it had not come out of a freezer and it was rock hard. There was no one to complain to cos there were only 2 bar staff and they were not even behind the bar ???? We were hungry so we are a no left but we will never go back. The bar staff were polite felt sorry for them having such bad management and I can't believe yet have a chef perhaps someone taking good out of the freezer and putting it in the oven or frying it!

1  Thank Longlegs12
Reviewed 18 May 2014

15 minutes just to get 2 drinks ... 30 minutes to order food ... 1hr 10 minutes for the meals to arrive. Needless to say when it arrived it looked like the dogs had been through it first !

During the wait we saw one unwitting customer walk in to queue up to order food looking grossly obese, but came out anorexic ... every silver lining I suppose !

Needless to say I will not be booking a table for the Father Day special that was being advertised !

2  Thank GJR12345
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This is a pub I've visited occasionally since I was a child, but I've never eaten here before, so we thought we'd give it a go.

We were really hopeful and excited after reading the menu.

The bar service was good and friendly, but our food took approximately an hour to arrive.

As we'd read on the menu that they 'serve good food as fast as they can', we were patient and accommodating.

However, when the food arrived, I was really disappointed with the portion size. I'm not a big girl so that's saying something.

My partner's food, having ordered game pie, was all puff pastry with hardly any filling and the chips were of the shop freezer kind.

I left still hungry not wanting to chance a dessert after the main course.

Won't bother again.

1  Thank Julieloveseatingout
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stopped for lunch on a recent sunny day after a local walk. We all had their hot beef and onion bap with gravy costing £5.20 each, what we got was very poor, the beef wasn't fresh cut, it was dry and cold, the gravy was clear and gluttony, the bread was cheap rubbish. We stopped going into Rowarth and the Little Mill Inn twenty years ago because it had gone down hill, it will be another twenty before we bother again

1  Thank Stephen M