“meal for 6, no problems”

The Little Mill Inn
Ranked #15 of 27 Restaurants in New Mills
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Its on Google earth
Reviewed 28 June 2014

saturday lunch time, food ok, no issues with waiting, its a lovely location, i did feel the building and gardens need a bit of tidying up,

1  Thank Chez R

Reviewed 1 June 2014

So.... Firstly I urge you all not to bother with this place. Funnily enough, it's up for sale as a property investment. I strongly suggest someone purchases this quick as humanly possible and turns it into something amazing because frankly it's just overgrown & wasting and a complete waste of land & business!

The story is this. Myself better half children and friends wanted a lovely day out, decided to take a trip here. The little mill inn.. Apparently a family friendly establishment with a children's play area scenic views and great pub food.
On arrival there's a substantially sized car park surrounded in overgrown unkept hedges. To the right we have 2 swings and a children's slide - quite nice actually.
To the left was a jungle. A fourth of an acre of stupidly long grass muddy terrain with six swings, a slide, a river and a bridge.
Absolute mess. Need a bit more than ground force to put right!!

Queuing up to order food took around 30 minutes & in the process of this a senior citizen ordered soft drinks for his grandchildren... And he was provided with wkd's by the uneducated prat working behind the bar... Apparently he had only worked there for 2 weeks and it's a super stressful job. Great news!!! I think he should be informed that wkd's, vodka, cider or any other alcoholic beverage isn't suitable for under 18's.... Something that most of the general public are aware of and don't get mixed up with the request of fruit shoots...

So we proceeded to order the food... Reasonably priced at £5 per child's meal and around £7/£8 for a meal for the adults. WRONG!

After ordering the food, we waited for around, 90 minutes. That is one and a half hours before the food arrived. So basically we could have watched an entire football match without any grub. SPLENDID.

On arrival of the food, the children's dishes arrived.... Sausage, chips & peas...Now to me and most of the population of the world... Garden peas, when cooked, have this squishy texture. Not at the little mill inn folks. They were like pellets! The table spoon of mash which was provided was dry and bitty and the sausages resembled that of miniature pepperamis...

Fish fingers and chips.... Chips were cold & the fish fingers, although covered in bread crumb... Still had all the skin on. And from the words of our 9 year old tasted like gone off sardines. FABULOUS. To say the least that dish was left along with the dish of stale peas.

The chicken nuggets were ok & managed to get eaten, however on tasting the preferred dish of our 5 year old I can safely say that McDonald's is much better and half the price!!

Myself and friends had a steak and cheese baguette. No problems with this it was actually ok.
However one of our lucky pals ordered a steak... Medium rare. Nope... Well done burnt and chewy. That got binned.

So after all of this we complained to the one man who was available... (The stupid uneducated prat had left for the day - thank god) now this guy was lovely... He listened to our complaints... Along with another chap who also complained about the quality of the food. And provided us with a full refund for the children's dishes and a partial refund of the steak that had seen better days.

It turns out the children's food is pre cooked and therefore microwaved and served.. - how is this worth a 90 minute wait and also £5 per dish. A happy meal is there within seconds and costs half the price! And it makes the children happy.

The kids left miserable, hungry and half a stone lighter. So we took them to obtain some food from elsewhere.

Now I'm not a snob, but when out for the day we expect better service in a local rural pub. Luckily myself better half and friends successfully managed to laugh the whole situation off.

On departure we witnessed a miserable looking individual clearing glasses, plates, cutlery and condiments from the majority of the tables there... Turns out she was a paying customer and got to the end of her tether with all of the mess and took it upon herself to clear all of the area... It resembled that of a tip! So thank you the miserable looking, kind hearted woman for your input in that situation!

So after around 2 hours, 4 wasted meals we left. & won't be going back until under new management and the uneducated prat has vacated the area!

7  Thank Kerry231091
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Unlike many other reviewers, we had to wait only 30 minutes for our food, which was just at the upper bounds of reasonableness for home-made food, I think. I have to say that, though we were disappointed at the portion sizes, the quality of my Steak & Guinness Pie and my wife's bacon and mushroom sandwich with cheese were delicious, and it is this and the pleasantness of the serving staff that help the Little Mill get Average marks from me. Otherwise, there was no welcome or friendliness from the barman when taking my order, the place looks dark inside and down-at-heel out, and is just generally unloved. It could be so much better, given its location beside a stream on the edge of a pretty village with oodles of walkers and cyclists passing by on the lunch-time we were there. Perhaps the fact the air is perpetually punctuated by gun-shots from the nearby shooting range has something to do with it. Until the firing ceased, sitting outside was a less than relaxing experience. The place is also up for sale. I wonder why!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Really really bad place. Tables littered with dirty plates and glasses used napkins empty condiment wrappers! I didn't see one person clear a table while we were there. Unfortunately I didn't see this till I had ordered and we sat waiting for over an hour for our food. I saw the queue was long but hoped it was a good sign that it was worth the wait. I stood in line for over 30mins to order 2 meals and 2 drinks. We had drank our drinks before good came but dare not queue again for another drink in case I missed my food. When the food finally arrived it came minus the side dish. The good was extremely disappointing I don't know if any of it had not come out of a freezer and it was rock hard. There was no one to complain to cos there were only 2 bar staff and they were not even behind the bar ???? We were hungry so we are a no left but we will never go back. The bar staff were polite felt sorry for them having such bad management and I can't believe yet have a chef perhaps someone taking good out of the freezer and putting it in the oven or frying it!

1  Thank Longlegs12
Reviewed 18 May 2014

15 minutes just to get 2 drinks ... 30 minutes to order food ... 1hr 10 minutes for the meals to arrive. Needless to say when it arrived it looked like the dogs had been through it first !

During the wait we saw one unwitting customer walk in to queue up to order food looking grossly obese, but came out anorexic ... every silver lining I suppose !

Needless to say I will not be booking a table for the Father Day special that was being advertised !

2  Thank GJR12345