“Extremely Overpriced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hardstoft
The Famous Shoulder
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hardstoft
Corby, England, United Kingdom
“Extremely Overpriced”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

For the price of £120 per night it was very basic. We had room 1 which I believe is considered the best room. When my wife used the bathroom the door handle came off in her hand. When I used the shower water was leaking from within the unit and running down the wall. The bathroom was very poorly laid out and the shaving light wasn't above the mirror. For the price and being rated at 4 stars I would have expected a biscuit to have with my tea. On the plus side the three girls that worked behind the Bar, waited on table and cleaned the rooms were very helpful and pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. When I mentioned the problem with the room next morning we were moved to room 3 which was smaller, had a better laid out bathroom but the shaving light here didn't work. I didn't enjoy the breakfasts. They made there own sausages (pork and beef I think) and black pudding. I normally enjoy both but they were awful so we didn't have a full English on the second morning. Unfortunately there was different staff on the Sunday morning and where there had been fruit and yogurt put out Saturday there was none on Sunday so the breakfast was rather sparse. The evening meals were also disappointing and I felt their ambition was not matched by their capability. The rooms were clean but only worth about £75 per night and I would have expected a better breakfast even at that price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I really dont understand this place, the reviews on here are such a mix of good and bad, but in my case I can only add more bad !!

I stayed recently and the room was fine, basic, but fine. However, the food menu for guests is "restricted" and expensive.

The food was okay, a bit cold, and the service was rubbish.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jtwork
Blackpool
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We have followed reviews on the Shoulder for some time preparing for a meeting of good friends for a weekend meet up. I despair somewhat at some people who have criticised this establishment. Our group of 8 booked out the four rooms at a very reasonable price for bed and breakfast. After a three hour drive we arrived to a VERY Friendly greeting. The rooms are adequate, yes a bit basic but fine for our stay. A vast array of ales available at competitive prices. Friendly locals in the bar. Food was EXCELLENT throughout our stay and we all agreed the cost was VERY agreeable. The staff were SUPERB, always available for a chat and a smile on their faces. Maybe we went to a differnt Famous Shoulder to others that have place negative reviews but from our stay we have nothing but good comments to place on this site and we will be returning. Visited Chatsworth House during our two night stay.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which is fine, room 2 is bigger and has a bath and shower
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BlackpoolWillows2
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I would just like to say that i have left my details with the staff numerous times for them to get back to me about having my wedding party here next year! There was no attempt to contact me what so ever and after reading the other reviews i am so pleased to say i have booked somewhere else with brilliant food and service! What a shame that this once welcoming nice country pub has turned into something that should be on ramsay's kitchen nightmares! Dont waste your time or money!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Cjwmummy
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We haven't been here for a meal for a few months apart from visiting for the odd drink so we decided to go again after enjoying the last meal back in January. I have read some of the more recent negative reviews and I have to say I disagree with them whole-heartedly. We were greeted with a smile and shown straight to our table. The menu is in the process of being changed but there was a good selection available.

The starters we chose were presented wonderfully and the tastes were superb. The main course which followed was also up to an excellent standard. Although there doesn't seem like there is a lot on the plates they are suprisingly filling and I am no stick man :)

We had a lovely evening there and would certainly recommend it. Our Waitress that started serving us was very pleasent and cheery and later our table was cleared by a guy that works behind the bar and he was also very nice and cheerful.

They are serving a Strawberry beer at the moment and it is amazing.

We cannot say a bad word about this place. Give it a try, we're glad we did.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony_and_Kay
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We dined here last week with a few friends and really cannot fault it.

The girl serving us was very attentive, the sofas where we had a drink to start off with were that comfortable we could of stayed there all night, the food was TO DIE FOR!!! The selection of beers were interesting and very good and we loved the wines!

The only thing I could say about this place is it could do with being a little busier, I can understand it is slightly out the way, but it really is worth the trip! A taxi for us wasn't that much or stop in the hotel!

Very pleased with our experience here

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Geoff B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed here for my girlfriend's birthday after visiting nearby Hardwick Hall.

The food was excellent. There was a good choice, and some very innovative dishes. The 12 hour pork that some reviewers have mentioned is now 36 hour pork and was so tender I could have eaten it with just a spoon. Some of the best pork I have ever tasted. My girlfriend loved her salmon too.

Given the standard of the food, it was surprising that there weren't many people in for a Saturday night (only us and two other tables), and that meant it had quite a subdued atmosphere. That would be my only criticism though. The staff were friendly and the bar had a good selection of ales.

We stayed in one of the rooms which was very comfortable. We weren't disturbed at all by the drinkers downstairs, as some reviewers have said.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChappyO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hardstoft
Peak Edge Hotel
#2 of 2 in South Normanton
Ibis Chesterfield North
Ibis Chesterfield North
#1 of 1 in Barlborough

Been to The Famous Shoulder? Share your experiences!